Another Vehicle Collision in Downtown Concord

April 14, 2014 17:55 pm · 30 comments

another_collision

No life-threatening injuries were reporting during a collision at Willow Pass & Galindo in Downtown Concord on Monday evening.

This crash occurred shortly after the other collision we reported on at Concord Blvd. & Galindo.

All vehicles have been cleared from the roadway, and traffic is once again flowing smoothly, according to the Concord Police Department.

Thanks to Alex for the picture. Alex says the Audi that was smashed during the collision appeared to be on a test drive.

{ 30 comments }

1 RunnerDope April 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Thanks for the test drive, but I think I’ll keep looking.

2 Pay attention! April 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

When a sign say “LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN”, it does not mean cut through on coming traffic!

3 People in a hurry April 14, 2014 at 6:29 PM

and a full moon plus eclipse.

People need to get a grip on themselves.

If you are going to drive, drive. If you are going to mess around, mess around. Never try to do both at once.

4 anon April 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Sorry, I’m just checking how the side air bags work.

5 kira April 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM

People drive like they’re entitled to be rude and have no regard for others STOP IT!!!!!!!!

6 Marianne April 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM

All these accidents, it’s a wonder these aren’t all over the news. I heard about the one this morning on my way to work this morning.

7 SF CityGirl April 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM

So sick of the way people drive around here… Nobody pays attention, & I’m constantly dodging people who are stopping in the middle of the road slowing and stopping at green lights. It’s enough away!!!

8 Dee April 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Gee just a block apart fancy that. This red light running crap is getting totally out of hand all over. I will sit when my turns green and look in both directions to see what all the others are doing or not doing and if you want to honk go ahead, not gonna make me do it any different. Now as for the poor soul doing the test drive, at least they know how the car holds up in a crash. The shuttle will be by to pick you guys up shortly. UGH!!

9 Winston April 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Something needs to be done about Galindo. Both this intersection & the one with Concord Blvd that had a crash average about one per month. This is unacceptably unsafe. When will the city fix it?

10 bluebird April 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM

How is it the intersection’s fault that people cannot drive? There is good visibility at both intersections, just stupidity behind the wheel. There ought to be a law: if you caused an accident (T-boned someone else) you should be required to repeat driver’s ed. Or take if for the first time!

11 I saw the whole thing April 14, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I saw what happened. I was pumping gas at chevron. The Lexus. Not pictured ran a red light and hit the audi

12 Simple answer to this problem; eliminate left turns April 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM

and only allow a series of right turns. UPS follows this strategy, as do numerous cities in Europe and Latin America. Left turns take longer, use more gas, are more dangerous(as we’ve seen here) and speed up the flow of traffic.

13 Addendum to the above; RIGHT turns speed up the flow of traffic April 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

14 itsme April 14, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Must have something to do with that “Bad Moon Risin’”

15 Erwin Cruz April 15, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Vehicle was on it’s way to get gas before it was to be delivered to the new owner. How do I know? It was the car I was about to purchase.

16 The Professor April 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Thankfully no fire hydrants were injured.

17 Connie Dobbs April 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Oh, Erwin. Are you saying it was no longer the dealership’s car at the time of the wreck? That’s awful.

18 Sscc April 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM

@i saw the whole thing
I was on the other side and saw the audii gun it to make the signal. It turned red as it entered the intersection. Traffic was backed up and apparently the driver didn’t want to wait for the next green light.
Glad you saw from the other side as I assumed the other car ran thru the intersection as well.

People are just insanely stupid, all about themselves with little regard (if any) to the people/world around them.

19 BagsFlyFree April 15, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Many of these accidents are a result of short left turn lanes with instant light cycles after 2-3 cars.. I’m sure our traffic wizard Kuzbari has a grand explanation why we can’t extend these left turn lanes and allow more cars to stack before disrupting the main flow of Willow Pass and Galindo traffic. People aren’t great defensive drivers on unprotected left turns with more than one lane of opposing traffic plus pedestrian traffic. Red light runners make things all the worse..

Luckily traffic downtown is being looked at in the 10 year plan, because as it is it’s always a crapshoot getting around there during commute hours.

BFF Out!

20 RANDOM TASK April 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM

10 year plan ……lol …here you go ……1% tax hike to fund programs for the immigrants to further their integration into blowing apart our systems and sending their money back to mexico. Just ask em they are not shy as to how they are fleecing America. They come here married from mexico have a kid kid gets citizen ship ( they are not married in the eyes of the state ) so the wife goes on welfare wich funds the money to get him forged papers to work( as he is infront of u-haul and or home depot until then)….all the while she is pregnant again and again cashing checks getting free health care …housing ….dental…..eye glasses all free….as now here husband is raking in on minimum wage after using forged papers to get a social security number ….after she has 4 kids he then claims her to get the deductions and then they fund another group to come here and repeat the gravy train all the while protected by the dems and their illegal is OK platform to secure votes. Drive ( don’t walk ) down monument and you will see a woman with 2 kids pushing a stroller and pregnant …walking next to a woman with 3 kids pushing a stroller and pregnant…living the dream

21 BagsFlyFree April 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM

@20… Monument outside of the Mohr lane intersection has fairly smooth traffic. Its Galindo that has all the problems due to one way intersections and unprotected left turn lanes.

The 10 year plan is for downtown specifically, not Monument.

BFF Out!

22 erwin cruz April 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM

@connie

No vehicle still was the dealers but we were in the process of signing the paperwork to purchase the vehicle. We were able to purchase the vehicle just in another color

23 @#20 Random Task April 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM

You nailed it. It’s disgusting that our government allows this vicious cycle to continue to infest our nation. We need to come together to vote out all who support the status quo.

24 Cowellian April 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Erwin@22,
Most people’s new cars don’t depreciate until they leave the lot.

I’m glad it wasn’t yours, yet.

25 Incoming April 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM

@12 Simple answer to this problem; eliminate left turns

I must be dense because I just don’t get this. I’ve heard it before, but I practice the old adage “The shortest distance between two points is a (relatively) straight line.” If I only made right turns, I’d starve to death because I’d never make it to the grocery store. It’s left from my house. Actually, I couldn’t get gas either.

26 victor mature April 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Contra Costa Needs red light cameras like Fremont, Newark, San Leandro, ETC hopefully that will slow down or stop this, and cite red light runners

27 Good samaritan, i am April 15, 2014 at 10:36 PM

There is a camera at the intersection. I want to know if it picked up the crash. One person’s word is different from anothers. Rumors will spread and everything is all mixed up.

FOR THE RECORD, TO THE PERSON THAT WAS PUMPING GAS; IT WAS A CHEVY SEDAN, NOT A LEXUS. If you’re going to start pointing fingers, make sure you have facts to back up your statement.

I believe the people in the Audi were horse playing around in the vehicle on the way to get gas. Why would it take more than 1 person to gas up a vehicle. Knowing the area, the Audi dealership is where Honda used to be. There is two Shell gas stations in the area that the dealerships can go to. The shell at the corner of Market and Concord Ave. or Contra Costa and Chilpancingo Pkwy. Unless, they have an account at Cheveron. If they have the account with Cheveron, why would they come from the Park N Shop direction when the dealership is west of the vehicle accident scene? Traffic jammed up, i understand people get ancy about it. People go and jet through the intersection seconds before the yellow light goes red. The dealership should have a specific route to get gas.

28 Cowellian April 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three lefts do.

29 Lucy April 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Looked like a couple of young men no older than 18 maybe 19 (possibly teenagers) that were with the Audi……… I agree…with”Good Samaratian I am”!!!

30 @Lucy April 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM

thanks Lucy. I was there, it all doesnt all add up.
-Good Samaritan, I am