Counterfeit Credit Card Ring Suspect from Walnut Creek Charged with Child Endangerment After Toddler Found Alone in Car During Arraignment

April 11, 2014 8:00 am · 27 comments

A counterfeit credit card ring suspect was arrested on Wednesday on suspicion of child endangerment after she allegedly left her three-year-old daughter alone in her locked car while she was arraigned in court, the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office said.

Jhona Matthews, 33, of Walnut Creek was among five San Francisco and East Bay residents who were arrested Saturday for allegedly making counterfeit credit cards in a Rohnert Park hotel room and using them at the nearby Graton Resort and Casino.

At her arraignment in Sonoma County Superior Court, her bail was raised to $50,000 and she was taken into custody, sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Raasch said.

When Matthews told the judge she left her 3-year-old daughter unattended in her locked car, sheriff’s deputies found the vehicle on the south side of the courthouse, Raasch said.

They woke up the child, who was sleeping in the back seat, and persuaded her to unlock the car door, Raasch said. Deputies then found three capped hypodermic needles containing suspected methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and a notebook with numerous credit card numbers, Raasch said.

Matthews was booked in the county jail for felony child endangerment, possession of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia and a probation violation, Raasch said. She is now being held under no bail in the jail.

Matthews’ daughter was turned over to Child Protective Services.

Sheriff’s detectives learned Matthews was on misdemeanor probation in Marin County for credit card fraud, Raasch said.

She and four other alleged counterfeit credit card ring suspects were arrested last week on forgery, theft, burglary, and drug charges.

{ 27 comments }

1 Shelly April 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM

WTF? Surely this “woman” isn’t responsible for the care and raising of a child. What a good thing this was discovered.

2 mutts April 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Where’s the father?

3 @WTF... April 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Clearly she was responsible for this child’s welfare,
and like everything she’s done, she’s failed in
those responsibilities.
This woman is in desperate need of help.
And this is particularly sad for this child.
I am curious as to where these people got the
equipment to commit these crimes. If these tools
are readily available, we are all in trouble.

4 Incognito April 11, 2014 at 8:44 AM

This is all very sad.
I can’t help but think this young child’s life is about to get a little better by being removed from her mother and put into better care.

5 Charge it to my Amex April 11, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Just think she would have posted bail today or monday and been back on the streets except she couldn’t find a babysitter

6 Shulla April 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Mandatory sterilization before she sucks up any more tax dollars. This poor little child deserves so much better.

7 WC April 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Feeling better knowing my tax dollars will be support mom and child for the rest of their life. What losers.

8 WOW I WOULD COMMENT BUT WHAT ELSE CAN YOU SAY TO THIS? April 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Just how much worse do things have to get.

What is the quote ” Prepare for the worst and hope for the best”

The really sad part is some attorney will argue that she needs help and that she is not responsible for her actions and the really sad part is some judge will by this.

Enough said.

9 RCC April 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

So, so sad for the little one. I hope she gets cared for.

10 Terrible April 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I hope something can be done for this child. Her mother is obviously not capable of providing a good life for her. Sad that the mother is such a lost soul. Very sad. I feel sorry for children with these parents. Terrible.

11 The Professor April 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Here’s some more info about this brilliant woman. You can’t cure stupid.

12 anon April 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

If Dr. Laura made the laws, probably her tubes would be tied. The lives of children being put in this situation cannot be risked over the rights of a woman to bear a child.

13 Michelle April 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM

This is a sad world we live in today.

14 anon April 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM

A single mother from San Francisco, California has come forward alleging sexual abuse by a trustee of her local Catholic church. The woman, Jhona Matthews, says the abuse included spankings with a paddle and forced sexual activities.

15 anon April 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM
16 Suzanne April 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM

anon, you are pure validation. I am so glad I of the way I was raised during my day and time.

17 anon April 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I guess I have to search for the mugshots myself. Cant a person get a decent mugshot around here. http://www.crimevoice.com/hotel-credit-card-operation-shut-down/

18 Charles-the-cat April 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

@WC – the adult is obviously a loser but dumping hate on the poor baby is pretty low.

19 I'm The Urban Spaceman April 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

What a mess. Meth is a horrible drug of choice. I hope the child doesn’t fall through the cracks and a responsible relative can give her a chance for a normal childhood.

20 Cowellian April 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Not exactly a mugshot, but . . .

jhona+mathews.jpg

21 J. April 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM

@Cowellian
That shot says: Jhora Mathews?

22 Cowellian April 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

The stuff you find on the internet.

23 New freaky world April 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Unbelievable
Now Courts need to have childcare like fitness centers..

24 anonanonagain April 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

This woman is a train wreck and she has decided to lay her 3 year old down on the tracks. Makes me sick. This woman is obviously addicted to meth and probably has a background that is quite appalling. Not everyone that comes from a poor upbringing decides to abuse drugs and trash their lives……I feel so sad for that child. If she was adoptable I would do it…..

25 mika April 11, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Is she related to the woman who left her kids in the car for a job interview?

26 Our Youth April 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM

How scared is a child left alone in a vehicle for hours?
How scared to be taein into Protective Services
Scarred for life because a liar and a con woman on meth had sex without protection.
This woman can never show her face in the community again.

27 Walnut Creek Resident April 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Poor sweet baby girl. I am so sorry for her. I pray a loving responsible person to come along to help out and take care of her. I hope they never let that mother ever come in contact with that little girl.