DMV to Renovate Concord Office – Closure Expected to Last Until September 2014

April 10, 2014 8:00 am · 34 comments

dmv

REMINDER: This closure happens tomorrow, so if you have any unfinished business to take care of, and the Concord Office is the easiest office for you to visit, you have one more day.

The Concord DMV office is getting a long overdue face-lift, and will close for about five months starting this week.

The field office will close at 12pm on Friday, April 11, 2014, and will not reopen until September 2014.

Customers are advised to visit the Walnut Creek field office for any of their DMV inquiries.

1 Rose Garden April 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I see the glass half full, and I’m easily amused. I find any DMV in CA “comical relief.” The DMV is as well rounded as Claycord!

2 Anon April 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Good luck with the wait there–better to make an appointment.

3 Mr. Pink April 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Five months? I guess the contractors are also government employees and will need lots of required breaks, etc.

4 Mimi (original) April 4, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Hopefully the renovation will include a better waiting area….I hate that the chairs are mere inches apart forcing you to sit thigh-to-thigh and shoulder-to-shoulder to people you don’t know and probably wish you’d never seen…I’m just creeped out by too much “closeness” with strangers!

5 well... April 4, 2014 at 12:13 PM

If anyone plans to use the pitt office- you are warned. Line starts at 7 am ( or earlier) and the wait is usually an hour. I get there at 630 so I can be first in line. They open at 8am.

I personally would like to see every city have a small DMV then there only being 4 ( WC, Concord,; pittsburg, and Tracy).

6 Sscc April 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Is the renovation government funded?
If so, aren’t there about 1000 better ways to spend money?

7 Anon777 April 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM

That just seems ridiculous and Mr. Pink hit the nail on the head! I hope all those displaced workers are being sent somewhere else to work so the other offices are not so impacted.

Personally, I never visit DMV without an appt. Last time I visited 3-4 years ago, I walked in with an appt and saw a friend already there who didn’t have one. She had been waiting for almost 3 hours at the time. I was in and out in under 15 minutes. I use the AAA office for as much as possible to avoid DMV.

8 funny man April 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM

why waoit in lines, i jus go to the aaa next door (ya you got to be a member to use the dmv feature)

9 Captain Bebops April 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I spent years growing up and living in Washington state. About the only thing the DMV did there were the driver’s tests and maybe you could get a renewal (they often had an extra smaller office for that) but that’s probably online there by now. License plates and tabs were available at other businesses such as real estate offices so no need to go the DMV for those (tabs of course would be online these days too). California is a complete joke when it comes to state government and offices.

Should also mention that to register a “fictitious name” for your business didn’t require you to place an ad in a local paper either. You just filled out a form with three choices of a name and mailed it into the state and they sent you back a postcard with the name that got registered. Again probably mostly online these days too.

10 Don P - n concord April 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

5 months? They just remodeled the Starbucks in pleasant hill, took 7 DAYS. Yeah sure it’s probably 1/4 the size, so you’d think a non government contractor could pro a lo do the job in 6-8 weeks?

11 @Mimi (original), #4-----Poor Mimi, having to sit next to a stranger April 4, 2014 at 2:27 PM

What other psych problems do you have? Maybe with your problems, you shouldn’t even be driving; who knows, you might be prone to road rage if someone drives in the lane next to you.

12 Smiley Holmes April 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM

@ Anon 777 and funny man: Sssshhhh about the AAA! Yes, it is amazingly convenient for members, but surprisingly few people are actually aware of it. Best to keep it low-key so it stays quick and convenient!

13 It's about a two-month job.... April 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM

But, because of State, Local, and Union regulations, the contractor will be forced to employ a high number of incompetent weaklings….he will also be forced to produce an inordinately large quantity of paperwork….another ruse to provide employment for lazy malingerers…..

14 Triple Canopy April 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Facelift? How about disinfecting the building? Ewwww.

15 mwo1859 April 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

That is the stupidest thing ever. Concord dmv is the slowest in the world. Here is a tip. Have your license in one building and the license plate in another building. In florida I have never spent more than 15 minutes in either building.

16 Suzie April 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

About time it needs a facelift.

17 bluebird April 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

# 13: it may well be a two month job to complete the reno, but then they have to install and test out the computer system. That’s what the other three months are for.

I hope lawn care is part of the reno. Either mow it or take it out and install ground cover that doesn’t require watering and mowing.

18 ClayDen April 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

That’s going to make it “fun” at the other DMV offices. Seems like they should extend the hours at the other DMV offices to make up for the increased volume. That would also make it more convenient for the public, so I guess it isn’t going to happen.

19 Shelly April 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Oh good Lord. FIVE MONTHS? They could take it down and build a new one. Okay, maybe they’re going to strip the whole thing out & basically start anew. I foresee loooong waits at other locations.

20 Naco April 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

5mos is a bit much for “lipstick on a pig”. Pick up Mexicans from the Home Depot, save $ and decrease quality. It’s not that they work any harder, it’s the steps they omit to give the illusion of speed. Everybody loves a half-assed job, after all it’s cheap!

21 Greenjrl April 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I’ve been to that office twice in past month to care for 3 different transactions. Only completed 2 so far. The 2 employees who helped (?) me could not have been more inefficient or unmotivated. I suggest that during the remodel they send the employees to a customer service training class. I realize dealing with the public all day is not easy, however your attitude contributes to the experience. At least dress and act like you care – or get another job and let someone who wants the job do it!

22 anon April 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I’m sure we will all be amazed after it’s done. That place hasn’t changed much in the last 35+ years.

23 Jason April 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I’ve started going to the DMV in Pittsburg on Buchanan. I’ve found the best way to do the DMV thing is to go to one in a smaller city and as early in the morning as possible.

24 Howdy April 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Hopefully they fix the motorcycle test area so you can actually go around the circle with a “normal” sized motorcycle instead of failing the test because the circle is too small and impossible to go around. Then, getting scammed into taking the “motorcycle safety course” $$$$$$$$ because you failed!

25 Incognito April 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Hopefully during the five months, some of the DMV employees will be renovated, too,

26 Frequent DMV customer April 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM

@Greenjrl – You get what you give. Try being nice to them and they might return the favor. Everybody at Concord DMV has always been friendly to me.

@Howdy – I hate to say it, but the problem isn’t the circle. It’s you. If you can’t ride around that circle, they’re doing you a favor by suggesting the safety course.

27 JMO April 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Yay for AAA. I’ve always been able just to walk in and get my needs taken care of there! Definitely worth the money!

28 Howdy April 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM

@Frequent DMV customer

Which motorcycle did you use to pass your riding test?

I used a 2007 600 sport bike. Very small bike.
I walked my bike around the circle after the official test, and it still wouldn’t stay within the lines with the handlebars locked to one side.
Everyone there for the riding test failed the day I was there.
There were 10 bikes there. From dual sports to Harleys.
All of us were sent home with brochures for the riding course.

29 Why April 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Why does the DMV need such an extensive rennovation? Interesting.

30 @Howdy April 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I used a Katana 750. Passed first try after having my permit for two weeks. Most bikes won’t go around the circle if you walk them around upright. They have to be leaning over to turn that sharp.

31 Howdy April 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM

@Frequent DMV customer

Wow!

I rode dirt bikes growing up and rode a sport bike for three years before going to take the test. I guess I’m a lousy rider! ; )

32 ol' Ollie April 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM

The best thing they could do for all concerned AND the economy in general would be to spend that money on MORE CLERKS. At least 10 more, at every location.

33 press 7 for English April 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM

“5 months? They just remodeled the Starbucks in pleasant hill, took 7 DAYS.”
This is taxifornia, a democrat controlled state, taxpayers come LAST.

34 Anon April 11, 2014 at 7:36 AM

“Hopefully they fix the motorcycle test area so you can actually go around the circle with a “normal” sized motorcycle instead of failing the test because the circle is too small and impossible to go around. ”

Use your neighbors kids Honda 50