Deadline Looms for those Without Health Insurance in Claycord

April 10, 2014 · 37 comments

Authorities are reminding Californians without health insurance they have less than a week to sign up for it and avoid a tax penalty.

Originally, the deadline for getting coverage through the state’s first open enrollment period was March 31. However, a flood of interest in low-cost insurance through Covered California caused the system’s website and phone lines to jam.

To compensate for the technical issues, Covered California is allowing consumers until April 15 to apply for health coverage starting May 1.

However, consumers must explain that they were unable to get through to the state health exchange on March 31 in order to qualify for the extension.

1 We just got approved April 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

My wife filled out the forms online about 7 weeks ago for both of us, and I just talked to our case worker yesterday who said we are approved. Our cards and information is in the mail and here in two weeks. What a relief. 4 months without any coverage is scary. It was $1800 a month for both of us before. We are not rich, and do not have jobs that come with health care. Now we will pay I think $140 a month. It is a God send for us, one of the millions that fall through the cracks of having no health care before. This is not political, for us. This is a big deal for both of us.

2 Anon777 April 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Maybe now that it’s going so well, they will add more customer service reps. It’s a nightmare trying to get through.

3 oldman April 10, 2014 at 12:24 PM

@1
That is good for you. Don’t forget to be very thankful for those that are paying the bulk of your health care insurance since it is not a right. Also, I would not mention God as part of Obamacare.

4 typical concord resident April 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM

@3, you’re a real jerk.

5 None April 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Yup I agree with old man don’t tank God he does have nothing to do with Obamacare…

6 mutts April 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I wouldn’t mention God as part of obama-scare, either.

7 Shuley April 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM

@ Oldman

Subsidizing health care for others is nothing new and is the best solution to our healthcare problems. Guess what? It’s not like millions of uninsured people weren’t getting healthcare. they would wait until things got really bad, go to the ER and skip out on the bill. Who paid for those costs? we did, through higher premiums. At least now, those folks might get preventative care and not use the ER as free urgent care.

The best solution would be free health care for all Americans. Those 1% who want private high end health care could still use clinics who cater to those. I am amazed by how many right wingers promote a voucher-type system for schools but say it won’t work for healthcare..

8 Elwood April 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I and other taxpayers are proud to subsidize the indigent.

9 chubs April 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM

looks like the old man told you all what’s up. How’s that taste?

10 We just got approved April 10, 2014 at 1:01 PM

@Old Man. I am 50 and have been working and paying income tax for 34 years. Also God is a figure of speech. This will save Americans money. ER’s are tied up with non emergency visits as it was, also other costs. Also my wife works and pays taxes. Also “oldman”, just think of all the people now who can get health care that could not before? Who work hard but aint rich or get it with their occupation? and how much that strained our system and nation? I am also happy mental health is also part of coverage, because it seems a lot of stressed out people out there misdirecting their anger.

11 We just got approved April 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM

BTW, in Canada everyone is given a card at birth, but their health care is Not free. When I lived there it was a 15% sales tax, huge luxury tax, one example is a bottle of wine here for $8 will cost you $38 in Ontario.. just a few examples of how they pay for the so called free health care in Canada. We would know. But what heartless people. I got mine, you’re on your own? In my view, this will save us money, and it is not like we are buying everyone ipads. It is health care for Obama’s sake. Is that better?

12 To everyone that says this is saving America money April 10, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Where’s the net savings? What figures show a real-life overall savings? I had very common Kaiser plan. It was a fully comprehensive plan and already pricey. The coverage is still the same, but when the new health care bill took effect it went up 40% more. Now I’m really getting screwed. A few people are better off; most of us got screwed. The only real winners are the healthcare companies and the politicians they lobbied.

13 confused... April 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM

So they will be locking up the poor and homeless who don’t get obamacare/pay the fines or what?

14 Theresa April 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM

@ Old Man. Better to have the taxes I have been paying my whole life go towards health care insurance for all than to the Industrial Military Companies mostly run by Republicans! (Notice I DID NOT say the actual armed forces and veterans, as I think they are way underpaid and under-appreciated). When Halliburton, et al. stop feeding at the trough then the right can perhaps say something about services for We the People. Thank the Goddess… God…Gods, whatever your belief system is, we finally have the *start* of a national health care plan. Jesus would have approved of providing for the less fortunate.

15 HealthcareNotInsurance April 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I’m not exactly sure how things could be changed to offer healthcare to everyone. I certainly think that healthcare should be available to everyone. I do not believe that the answer is mandating health insurance be purchased by eveyrone because it doesn’t really cover the problem of healthcare. I don’t mind paying a little more for insurance to assist others; however, the cost of health insurance is going through the roof and it doesn’t cover much anymore. For the most part, health insurance is good for a catastrophic event, but it is not very useful otherwise. It would be best to offer healthcare that is affordable, of good quality and accessible rather than enforcing insurance plans for the masses that are not of much benefit.

16 M.O.A. April 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Poor misguided,misled,gullible useful idiots,thinking obamascam is about your health. GOD help us!

17 oldman April 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

We are so screwed!

18 Idiocracy April 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I blame the inflation of our dollar over the last 50 years…. All these materials are way overpriced including basic health care! Why are prescription drugs that cost pennies to make being hiked up to 100’s of dollars? Why are doctors getting paid less than some big mouth NFL football player? I think its should go like this – If you don’t pay taxes you don’t get to vote period. Who are you to have a voice if you put nothing on the table minus retired (workers)/ Vets and any other Hard workers that had a real problem happen. I like the idea of free healthcare but not for those that choose to live uselessly and who have nothing to contribute to our society = Criminals, Long term welfare scammers who are capable of producing in the work force etc etc I like how Canada taxed goods too… why am I paying more for my healthcare after obamacare went online? Shouldn’t the competition drive the price down?

19 We just got approved April 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM

btw I do not agree with some having to pay more for health care. I think/thought the money should have came from luxury tax and a nation wide sin tax. Why is a jumbo jack $1? And why is a gallon of wine $10? Why is cigarettes $4 a pack? When those three things contribute so much to peoples bad health? TAX THEM, not people. Geeeze. The money raised from a nation wide sin tax could help with homeless, health care and basic human needs, healthy food cheaper, and reduce obesity, cancer and other issues that strain our system. It makes zero sense. You can have a win win, but I truly feel people will still drink, probably drink more if you raised a bottle of vodka from $10 to $20.

20 Nuttsie the Nutter April 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM

At Old Man, None and Mutts. Sounds as if you are good religious conservatives as you freely mention God. But if I remember my studies, by definition, God is everything, knows everything, sees everything etc. and everything is part of God’s plan. Therefore, Obama and the Affordable Care Act are a part of God’s plan and to deny that is to deny God.

Kind of a quandary for you. But I feel sure that you will be able to rationalize it somehow.

21 anonmtz April 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Oldman….yes, with your attitude, you appear to be bending over for a good screwing…….

22 Rose Garden April 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM

In the long run, I just hope everyone is insured, and I hope it’s affordable.

What a mess!

23 Nonsense April 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM

One of my employees just attained health insurance for her 70-year-old mother for one dollar per month. You heard it right, one dollar per month. This is insane. The sooner everyone signs up, the sooner this whole thing collapses. So why don’t you all go sign-up especially you old people and then when it fails, maybe we can all go back to the system we had that was not perfect, but the best system on the planet.

This is classic socialism, and I refuse to pay for all these people to draw from the system and only pay a dollar a month. I have three kids a wife a business and I’ll be damned if I’m going to tow the line for everyone else!

24 anon April 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

The deadline will be extended. Obama care will keep trying to get people to enroll. It’s too important to just stop enrolling people.

25 Nelson Muntz April 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Haw-Haw! Nonsense, why don’t you ask your employee to show you the bill, $1.00 a month sounds like Nonsense.

26 Mr. B April 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM

@23 Exactly. Healthcare is the first control that must be obtained to create a social state. This is just the beginning. You liberals will be crying the loudest when you finally figure out your liberties have been taken away. WAKE UP!

27 Feeling Stressed April 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I tried to sign up but was told that I had to wait until the fall, even though my application has been submitted way before the deadline

28 Led April 10, 2014 at 11:08 PM

@Nonsense – uh, a 70-year-old can go on Medicare. So…that has nothing to do with the current changes.

29 @25 April 10, 2014 at 11:11 PM

It is nonsense. And if you’re working you get to pay for it.

Nothing is free ladies and gentlemen. And if you’re celebrating now because you think you got a good deal, just wait until you go to the doctor and they treat you like the DMV treats you.

It won’t be long until there are long waits for simple procedures that we get taken care of right away. Just look to Canada, where they have to wait a long long time to get things done that we get done immediately.

And don’t tell me that’s BS. I have family there and I can tell you their system is crap.

30 Sara April 11, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Of course the deadline will be extended beyond the April 15 deadline. They want Everyone to sign up for obamacare.

31 bigdaddy April 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM

NOW THAT YOU ARE APPROVED THROUGH COVERED CA, TRY AND FIND A DOCTOR WHO TAKES IT…..
a lot of docs at john muir dont take it.

32 @bigdaddy April 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Kaiser is available on the exchange and they are terrific. No problem getting care. I have a choice of HMO/PPOs plus traditional insurance plans through my employer and I chose Kaiser. Very happy. Anyone who signed up for Kaiser through Covered California will have no problem getting great care.

33 @@25 April 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

What kind of a person doesn’t want other people to have access to healthcare because it might make their wait for an appointment a little bit longer? Shame on you!

34 @nonsense April 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Nonsense @23, your post is nonsense. A 70-year old cannot sign up for Obamacare because they are eligible for Medicare.

35 Geeeze April 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Nothing new here. Some people need to hire some fact checkers. 70 year old, $1 a month? ya right. When you lie, you only hurt your cause, whatever that cause is. I think it is the cause to hate Obama myself, and get as many others to hate him as well. Pathetic.

36 Cat Wrangler April 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I am glad that we live in a community that admires and respects the parable, “The Good Samaritan.”

37 good April 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM