Coming Up: Friends of the Creeks Annual Creek Clean-Up

April 9, 2014 · 14 comments

creek

Join the Friends of the Creek and the City of Walnut Creek on Saturday, May 10th for the annual cleanup of Walnut Creek’s downtown creeks.

Meet at 9:00 at the gazebo in Civic Park, enjoy coffee and pastries with fellow volunteers, and then spend the morning doing your part for the local environment.

Wear old sneakers, bring gloves, and plan to get wet! Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.

Go to http://www.friendsofthecreeks.org/ for more information.

1 Mark April 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Be careful for the syringes the junkies that live in the creeks and under the bridges leave them all over the place.

2 Schmee April 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Coming up! Beer fest in Martinez on Saturday

3 anonanonagain April 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Too bad they don’t have the homeless help clean up in exchange for food or other assistance to get them off the streets. The creeks are the places where they congregate and dump their trash…..

4 Greg in Pleasant Hill April 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM

That old fogey climbing up the wall makes me nervous just looking at it.

5 anon April 9, 2014 at 4:26 PM

@2 : )

6 Shasta Daisy April 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Greg in Pleasant Hill #4
And, why do you say he is any old fogey?

Looks like he’s helping out.

7 Shelly April 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM

It sounds like a good time and a great opportunity to help out.

8 Suzanne April 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Greg, don’t attack that Old Guy, looks like he’s watching out for the kids. Don’t be a keyboard commando.

9 @Greg in Pleasant Hill, #4------I've got your Old Fogey dangling April 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM

At least he’s doing something useful, while all you’re good for is to snipe. How about you getting your fat butt up from the computer and try being useful, instead of USELESS.

10 It looks to me like... April 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM

…they are just cleaning the old fogeys out of the creek. About time, I say! What a nuisance!

You people need to lighten up. Shopping carts have been proven to be the ideal bait for humanely capturing an old fogey. Now those brave volunteers can release this old fogey back into his natural habitat, where he can naturally excel at being crotchety and making angry posts on Claycord. This is a win-win for our community!

11 Michelle April 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Calm down #9, he is doing something useful as everyone can see. No need for all that ruckus.

12 Dr. Jellyfinger® April 9, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Well…. there’s at least one creek in Pleasant Hill that needs some cleaning up…. glad to see everyone is wearing gloves.

13 @PHiil Greg April 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM

“Old Fogey”, is that how you refer to your Grand Dad?
Us old Fogeys got pet names for Pip-Sqeeks like
you, we call you pip, oh yah, I already said that,what
was I sayin, oh yah, we call you “wipper” snappers or
some such thing. Dag nabit , just quit whining and
go help clean up the canal.

14 Never again.......... April 11, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I’ll Never forget dragging a king size bed out of the creek, soaking wet. Must have weighed 2000 pounds. We winched it up on the bank and let it drain for 2 days, and got it down to about 900 pounds, then winched it up a step bank and out. 3 days of work, all because some idiot threw a bed in in Alhambra creek. And right over a fence in a middle class neighborhood. I had to quit cleaning the creek after a few years because I got so angry. Found medical supplies, bags of blood, syringes, stamped with John Muir medical center on it. Or the name it was in the early 90’s. Of course everyone passed the buck on that one. And would not touch it. I buried it finally. Also found asbestos No one would take that as well. I finally took a bunch of stuff to the haz. material drop off location by the highway patrol. Since I was in a work truck, but volunteered cleaning the creek, they wanted to charge me. I told them. They basically called me a liar and wrote my license down. I got such a bad attitude I had to give up my clean up days, from sheer frustration and bitterness of the city, county, and state. I could go on and on, but root on your efforts…