Health Officials Warn International Travelers to Take Precautions Against Measles

April 8, 2014 10:00 am · 7 comments

Health officials are advising people planning international travel to take precautions against measles due to a high incidence of the disease in California this year.

As of Friday, there had been 51 confirmed measles cases reported in California so far in 2014. There had only been four reported cases by the same time last year, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Four of the reported cases were in San Mateo County, four in Contra Costa County, two in Alameda County and one in Santa Clara County.

The rest of the cases occurred in Southern California.

Most of the California measles cases have been contracted by people who were exposed to the disease while traveling internationally, including to the Philippines, India and Vietnam, or who came into contact with international visitors.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a travel notice for the Philippines in March due to more than 15,000 suspected cases of measles in that country between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15 of this year, including 23 deaths.

The CDC advises adults and children over 12 months of age who plan to visit the Philippines to get two doses of the measles vaccine 28 days apart for optimal protection.

Infants between the ages of six and 11 months should get one dose of the measles vaccine before travel, according to the CDC.

However, they will still need to get two doses of the vaccine when they are older.

Two doses of the measles vaccine provides near 100 percent protection from measles, according to the CDC.

International travelers can check the specific CDC recommendations for their destination by visiting www.cdc.gov/travel.

Complications of measles include pneumonia, permanent hearing loss and death, according to the CDC.

{ 7 comments }

1 mutts April 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM

So much to see in the USA, travel here and spend your money here. So much history and beauty here.

2 Elwood April 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Remember, vaccination is bad for your health.

If you’re a flipping idiot, that is.

3 livin in Concord April 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Why can’t we just say they are ASIAN. If the person were white they would be yelling white white white. But I notice all these cases are Asian at UCBerkeley locally.

4 Agree with Elwood April 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM

The anti-vaccination nut jobs are responsible for the US cases. Measles is no laughing matter. Of us 4 kids, 2 of us got measles (1975) & 2 didn’t. The 2 younger ones had gotten vaccinated & somehow we 2 older ones didn’t. I’m pretty sure my young mom, with 4 kids under 4 had her hands full & couldn’t make sure that the older ones got vaccinated when the vaccine came out in time for the younger ones.

And sick? omg. Fever, eyes hurt so bad. I didn’t get out of bed for a week. We were lucky we didn’t have any terrible complications.

5 Kirkwood April 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I think anybody coming in through customs should be required to have vaccination documentation regardless of citizenship. I also think any unvaccinated person who causes any other person to get a communicable disease should be charged with a crime.
As a kid (65 years ago) when a child got chicken pox, measles or mumps, some mothers purposely exposed the siblings to get the whole event over with in a couple of weeks. Thereafter the kids were immune for life.
I did get Polio (mild case) in my teens and there was no treatment or vaccine.

6 Ol' Ollie April 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids should be held legally liable for both their own kids health and others whom the unvaccinated infect.

There is no excuse for not vaccinating your kids.

7 Mrs T April 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I had measles as a child -the vaccine came out after I had it. I lost half of my hearing in both ears due to scarring on my eardrums. No child should be exposed to that when we have a vaccine to prevent it.