Beware! Turkeys Crossing Ygnacio Valley Rd. in Concord, Walnut Creek

April 8, 2014 16:44 pm · 23 comments

photo

Beware, on Monday & Tuesday, we’ve received several reports of dozens of turkeys crossing Ygnacio Valley Rd. in Concord & Walnut Creek.

One motorcyclist even hit and killed a turkey on Monday while he was travelling on YVR towards Clayton Rd. From what we heard, he was injured, although the injuries weren’t life-threatening.

Thanks to Tracey for the photo of the turkeys who just finished crossing the road!

{ 23 comments }

1 Not news April 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Everyone knows, there have been turkeys on
Y.V. For years. I crack me up.

2 Why does a turkey cross the road? April 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

3 Darwin April 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I drove by that, turkey vs motorcycle, turkey almost won.

What made it really stupid was a guy on another motorcycle forcing his way past everyone while we were trying to merge around the accident. Or as I like to think of him, the next accident.

4 Name the turkeys contest? April 8, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Lunch. Dinner. Bigbird. Featherbrain.

5 Noflow April 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM

#2,
To become roadkill pate’?

6 VikingPrincess April 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I sent the Mayor pics from their visit less than a month ago. They have visited once since flying from roof to roof overhead.
Animal Control was aware of the situation and the gaggle of Turkeys. Looked like three or four females and one male. I hope the male wasn’t hit.
Huge!

7 anon April 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Have seen them in The Crossings on South Larwin a few times, a group of 6 or 7 at a time together.

8 Shasta Daisy April 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I saw one that was hit on the side of the road….upside down and stiff feathers all up in the air.

9 Jojo Potato April 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Please come over to Walnut Blvd, north of YVR and knock off a few of ours. We’ve got more than enough in this neighborhood.

10 biggus thinkus April 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM

love those turkeys
neighbor of mine wants them “removed” because they tear up the tanbark around her plants.
“removed.”
why when we finally get nature back (ie. beavers, otters, mtn lions, turkeys) that our first words are KILL ?
boo.

11 Lee Tejous April 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM

They cross Cowell Rd right before Ygnacio all the time. Lots of near accidents because of people swerving to avoid them. Concord ought to put up a “Caution Turkey X-ing” sign before someone has a real accident & sues the city for neglecting to put up a sign for the consistent hazard.

12 Max April 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Those turkeys are like humans when crossing busy roads smh

13 Mark Trail April 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Thank You California Department of Fish and Wildlife(Game) for introducing this non native species into California, in 1969 because “It seemed like a good idea”.,,,,,run them over.. it’s better than being rear ended by a huge pick up truck or an SUV.

14 VikingPrincess April 8, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Better than Armadillos

15 Mb April 9, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Glad the hear the motorcycle driver is ok. It was not a pretty site to see.

16 Cracky McGee April 9, 2014 at 6:33 AM

The dead turkey is still on the side of the road at the top of the hill!

17 weez April 9, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Winner winner turkey dinner !!!!

18 Me April 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM

There are turkeys everywhere and have been for years. My favorite sighting was a foot outside the emergency room doors at Kaiser WC. Maybe they needed help too. My dad’s truck has some nice striped decorations down the hood from where a turkey decided to slide off rather than jump off.

19 Dr. Jellyfinger® April 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Ok Cracky…. you can have it.

20 Kirkwood April 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM

@Why does the turkey…….

To prove to the possum that it CAN be done.

21 Mac April 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I drive up and down Walnut daily.
And i`m surprised on how many turkey & deer (even bucks) that on on the street.
And the turkeys done give way.
I think they want a piece of my motorcycle, or me.

But i sure enjoy having them around.
Glad they don`t hang out at my house.
But it does make for a cool ride to work

22 Shelly April 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I sat at a red light turning onto Ayres Rd. From YVR holding my breath as a lone turkey s l o w l y sauntered across the eastbound lanes. Luckily he/she made it.

23 TOB April 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I was returning home from the airport driving down YV at 7:45 last night near Cowell and had to avoid a bunch of turkeys standing on the road.