AGAIN! Another Suspicious Individual Going Door-to-Door Claiming to be from PG&E

April 8, 2014 16:40 pm · 29 comments

We received this message today, just hours after posting another story about a suspicious person going door-to-door claiming to be from PG&E.

Here is the latest message:

I just wanted to let fellow Claycordians know that someone claiming to be from PG&E is going door to door wanting to check meters for corrosion. The man just had a safety vest on, no truck, no badge or other PG&E insignia. He wanted access to my backyard. I called PG&E and they didn’t send anyone. I live on Olive Dr. in Concord.

Thanks for the note.

Remember, you don’t have to let anybody on your property, especially if they don’t have the proper identification with them.

RELATED STORY: Person Asks to See PG&E Bill, Claims they Plan to Switch PG&E Smart Meters

{ 29 comments }

1 Yobyz April 8, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I got some people a while ago trying to sell me their “gas” service and wanting to inspect my house in order to give me a better deal. It was soooo shady. I also get the at@t people trying to sell me unverse because they just put fiber optic in my street (Jenkinson drive) soooo annoying!

2 Ban it ! April 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Ban it !

3 Ummmmm April 8, 2014 at 4:59 PM

So does anyone think about calling the police to have them check out the person’s ID and business information? This seems like a no-brainer to me!

4 john April 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM

PG&E is having people check meters for corrosion,but they must be wearing their badge at ALL times.

5 Jeff April 8, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I called the police. Two black males, early 20′s. I called the non emergency line, and they said they would do a check. I never saw a police car show, but could have missed it. This was last Wednesday around 1pm. I knew it was a scam but I heard my neighbor fall for it hook, line, and sinker so I decided to call.

6 Atticus Thraxx April 8, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Far as I’m concerned PG&E also qualifies as “suspicious persons”. Thanks for the heads-up on these yahoos though.

7 itsme April 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I don’t see anyone saying they called the police…..That should be done immediately with a description of the person and which way they went.

8 anon April 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I would have called CPD first then PG&E.

9 . April 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Get their car’s description and plate info. If caught, I’ll bet they have stolen property in it.

10 Anon April 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Yobyz, Accent energy is out there selling natural gas. I posted about it on talk about whatever. It sounds like a better rate per therms but they ARE NOT including the procurement or distribution costs (one of the two).

11 Just what we need April 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

another ” low cost” gas provider. It’s hard enough
to get PG&E to shape up. We don’t have the
ability to keep them in line, so lets add another
that most likely has no investment in infrastructure .
What will they do, lay new gas distribution line?
They’ll get you in with low rates but will then
be forced to raise prices when the larger companies
start squeezing them out. P.T. Barnum said it
best, there’s one born every minute.

12 VikingPrincess April 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Perhaps HE is corrosion.

13 Gilbert April 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Two clowns wearing Vision shirts just knocked on our door at 7:30. We live off of Claycord Ave in Concord. I immediately pointed to our, No Soliciting sign on our front door and he said he wasn’t selling anything. He then said something about solar panels and I pointed at the sign again and told him to leave and shut the door in his face.

14 anonymom April 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM

PG&E employees would be clearly marked. They’re required to wear clothing with logos on it. Whether it is a vest or shirt they would be clearly marked as employees. If nothing else they have to show a badge. You need to call CPD right away, because if they don’t have a solicitors permit they cannot be on your street.

15 Dennis April 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I got about a dozen phone calls on my cell, over a period of 3 weeks, from several numbers, all claiming to be calling “those people in the bay area who use PG&E” to discuss an “upgrade to service”.
I asked who in the Bay Area was NOT a PG&E customer, and got a long pause. Then I pointed out that they were essentially calling everyone in the Bay Area for their sales pitch. I asked if they were PG&E and got told no,
Then I said some rude things about where they could put their call list, told them to stop calling.
Every call was from a different voice; some were surprised to hear I’d already been called a dozen times. I guess the turnover for cold call phone sales is huge. I can’t imagine anyone lasting very long in a job where everyone they call yells at them.
Haven’t had any calls for nearly 2 weeks now.

16 Reality Slap April 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Just a heads up….got a phone call this evening and it went something like this:

“Hello, Mrs. _________, how are you this evening? I’m going to be in your neighborhood tomorrow and am wondering if you have any work that needs to be done around your home that I could do ?”

I told the caller, a man, that “we didn’t need any help as we are home all the time and handle the maintenance ourselves, but thank you for calling and I hope you can find work elsewhere, have a great evening”. And then I hung up.

Don’t know if this is a legit offer or a scam to get into the house and property. Thought I should put some light on it for others.

17 Me April 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I don’t think that Concord Police will do anything. The other day I went there to report threats I received through my e-mail and I was aware that they had my home address (because its also my business address) and they pretty much said that they were not even going to get these people’s info or make a police report because nothing happened yet. So, basically…something has to happen first in order to have the Police to help.

18 Heather Acres April 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM

He came to my house and had a fake pg&e badge. I told him he could not go into my backyard.

19 VikingPrincess April 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Tell them you will need to hold their drivers license and when they are done they can get it back. Otherwise no go.

20 volunteer gal April 9, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I took a picture of the gal and then called PG&E who confirmed the contractor is looking for corrosion on the meter. She had ID and handed me a flyer with all information. I still have the picture as evidence.

21 not falling for it April 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I live in the Parkwood Complex, I noticed a man outside my kitchen window at my gas meter, I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was from PGE and was looking for corrosion on the meters. I asked him if he had any ID from PGE and he said he had a flyer which he handed to me and I still have, it was orange. But when I looked at it, I was like anyone could print this up. He said that he was from Underground Construction. He then told me that he needed to get inside to check the meters. I said that usually workers have the code for the gate, he then asked for the number for management to get the code and I said that I didn’t know their number. He then asked me how he can get in the gate. I played dumb and said that I can only open it when someone callls. I shut the door. There was no work truck, he had set a orange cone near the front entrance to the gate. I took the notice, came inside and called PGE. They said that they cannot tell me if it was their contractor or not! But they said that they should have a badge from PGE if they were doing work for them, this guy had no badge. So then he knocked on my door, I didn’t answer. He came back and knocked again, I didn’t answer. He then went to the call box and started calling me for the gate. I didn’t answer. He called twice. I then got dressed and went outside to look for this guy. No sign of him and he left the cone. I think he left due to my deep questioning and failure to let him in here. He was a young Hispanic man. After the fact I thought, the way these people treat me, I should have let him in…….

22 Reality Slap April 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I can understand the frustration of those who are having to figure out if someone is really working with PG&E, or if it’s a scam. I have dealings with PG&E both here in Contra Costa County and in Sonoma County. I always receive notification of work that is going to be directly affecting, or in the area of my property in Sonoma County, well in advance of the work; the notification is also for “flyovers” for inspection of lines, as well as ground work. When anyone shows up they have always had the proper identification and have been very open to having us call PG&E if we aren’t comfortable. I have, living in Contra Costa County for almost 30 years received, at the most, 3 letters for notification of work from PG&E. The only contractors that have been on the up and up in Contra Costa County is Davey Tree Service, they have arrived at my door, been very professional and have given verbal notification about what trees and when they will be trimming. It’s bad enough that PG&E has an entitlement attitude, as we have all found out by the recent Pipeline Pathways, but it only makes it worse when criminals prey on this situation.

23 Paul Brennan April 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I think PG&E would have sent notices out if they were going to check meters for corrosion I briefly dated a girl a couple months ago that worked for PG&E and we met on the Tinder dating app but I decided to go with the girl I have now we have been together for six months and she is my babe I am still in love with my ex becca she got raped in a parking lot and I went to rescue her but got a dui on the way and the cops didn’t even care I didn’t have one drink but I took a couple somas for my back I don’t even get high on them anymore I’m sober and go to meetings at Kaiser and a nurse drug tests me every time I used to date a nurse (THE REST OF THE POST HAS BEEN DELEATED).

24 twilight April 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM

@23: ??????

25 Just Another Anon April 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM

All kinds of Bad Advice here including #23.
If you have an issue call 1-800-743-5000
If you feel threatened – Call the Police.
From Someone Who knows, but I’m not going to post Company practices and give Criminals any ideas.

26 The Closer April 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

@#23

Now all you have to do is kick your crack habit and you should be OK. TMI buddy,TMI.

27 Paul Brennan April 9, 2014 at 7:44 PM

@#26

HaHa that’s funny but no crack for me I take pills but it is for my back and I don’t get high on them but my cousin seems to think I have aspergers and he says I ramble on but I don’t agree with that because I think it’s because I’m so tired all the time but my motto is in would “rather be a Sooner then a later” I’m a huge sooners fan because he was a Sooner fan to he was a genius he used to build computers and the first time I bought a computer I bought one for my ex becca it’s old now but I kept it because it had so many pictures of us and I like to remember the times I was happy because I’m so depressed all the time but I have met a new girl now that I can call my babe and we’re getting a place together

28 The Closer April 9, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Congrats on finding a new love, but you should ixnay on always bringing up your ex Becca New loves frown on old baggage. Enjoy

29 Anon April 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Big guy with a big hat and a clipboard with a Vision insignia and what looked like a possible PG&E logo on his shirt knocked on my door in the State Streets area today at 1:45 PM or so. Dog went ballistic jumping all over the front window. Told the guy no thanks from my closed window and waved him on. He kept talking to me with my window closed and dog barking(could not hear him). After a long while of him talking and me waving him away, I finally yelled at him to get the F**K out of here. He then turned around and left. Wow, this really makes me want to do business with these guys!!!???