UPDATE: 40-year-old Antioch Man Arrested for Home Invasion Robbery in Pleasant Hill

April 1, 2014 17:30 pm · 47 comments

drawing

A 40-year-old Antioch man, identified as David Allen Vancil, was arrested for committing the home invasion robbery we reported on earlier this week in Pleasant Hill, according to the Pleasant Hill Police Department.

Police say at about 9:45 p.m. on Sunday, Vancil knocked on the door of a home in the 900 block of Santa Lucia Drive. When one of the women opened the door the suspect displayed a black handgun and forced his way inside the home, according to police.

Vancil then locked the women inside a bedroom and stole jewelry and electronics from the residence, police said.

He also stole one of the women’s car keys, which he used to access a vehicle at the home and drive away from the scene, according to police.

The women, a 53 year old and 84 year old, did not sustain any injuries during the robbery.

On Tuesday, PHPD detectives received information from an undisclosed source that a person, later identified as Vancil, may be in possession of specific property that was stolen from the victim.

The Antioch Police Department was notified and was able to locate the subject in a vehicle (not the victim’s) and stop him near Auto Center Drive. Two subjects were in the vehicle along with property that had been stolen from the victim.

Both subjects were arrested and taken to the Pleasant Hill Police Department. The passenger in the vehicle, David Allen Vancil, was identified as the person responsible in this crime, police said.

The victim’s car was located abandoned on a residential street in Antioch.

Vancil was booked on the below charges and is being held on $7,775,000.00 bail.

211 PC – 1st degree robbery
459 PC – 1st degree burglary
209 PC – Kidnapping for robbery
236 PC – False imprisonment
368 PC – Elder Abuse
10851 VC – Auto theft

RELATED STORY: Pleasant Hill Police Release Sketch of Home Invasion Robbery Suspect

{ 47 comments }

1 Lost and Happy April 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Damn good job PHPD!

2 What security April 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM

awesome!!!

3 I'm just sayin April 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Antioch. ‘Nuff said.

4 P. H. Neighbor April 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Thank you, thank all of you in LE!!! Great news!!!

5 Anon April 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Went to school with that dude. Why did He pick this house, was he doing landscaping or construction work at this house or in the area? It’s definitely NOT random.

6 Officer Barbrady April 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Fine police work.

7 Rose Garden April 1, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Great job PHPD! With those charges, the bail is where it belongs.

8 Scrappy April 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Great job! Now let’s see if he’s the same guy as the one in the PH home security video that was posted earlier.

9 BagsFlyFree April 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Next time on 48 hours…. Great job to all the PD’s involved!!

10 From Clayton April 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Potentially going to jail for 25 years was TOTALLY worth stealing somebody else’s used stuff and having it for a whole 2 days.

11 Justin April 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Quick work by the PHPD! Good job.

Hope this scum bag rots.

12 Justin April 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Ooops! Antioch PD! Nice work all around!

13 Monica Alvarez Barajas April 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Thank goodness the women were ok. Dumb criminals. Crime don’t pay!

14 anonanonagain April 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM

This is good news indeed!!! The bail is set very high. Is that because of the charges and the fact that he has a record? It will be interesting to see what unfolds with this case.
Glad that the ladies are alright. I am sure they are pretty shaken up about this. My best regards to them……

15 waverunner April 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Thank goodness for “stoolies” and for idiots such as Vancil for being so stupid as to keep the stolen stuff in the car he was caught in.

What a great fast follow-up and communication between Antioch and PH PD’s.

16 This is great news!!! April 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM

And thank you Pleasant Hill and Antioch Police departments!!!!! WTG!

17 Nice Job PHPD April 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Busy week in that town, hope they catch the groper just as quickly!

18 Schmee April 1, 2014 at 5:43 PM

So glad they caught him. Can’t get away with that stuff around here!!!

19 Mustang Sally April 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Do so want to sea the mugshot next to the sketch.

20 iluvfriedchicken April 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Dang if all those charges stick and the state has a solid case, then this dude’s going away for a LONG time.

21 Law Abiding Citizen April 1, 2014 at 5:50 PM

HA HA! in Nelsons voice

22 PH resident April 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM

23 Dave April 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM

great job Antioch and Pleasant Hill PD”s Got another Antioch scumbag off the street. Crime doesn’t pay.

24 Thank you April 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Thank you PH & Antioch PD.

25 anon April 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Can’t a person get a decent mug shot around here?

26 Burn in Hell Scumbag! April 1, 2014 at 6:33 PM

27 anon April 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM
28 Anon April 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I only have his High School 10th grade yearbook photo where He still has baby fat / double chin.

29 PHizzle April 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Bam!

30 Fig Newton April 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM

What a worthless tweek,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hope he gets a real stiff sentance,,,,,,,,,,,big bail,,no fellow tweeker can spring him,,,,,,,,,,He is going to be in the Gray bar hotel a long time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good place for him! Great job PHPD,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now to make the case stick,,long, lonely, boring days ahead for the mis fit!

31 Dorothy April 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Good news – glad to see it.

32 Willie Jones April 1, 2014 at 7:48 PM

There’s something about that guys face. I just can’t out my finger on it.

33 concord April 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM

glad this guy is behind bars. yes, i would like to know how he picked the victim — other than the obvious — they are both women that can be easily overpowerwed. makes homeowners never want to hire anyone to do repairs or maintenance work.

34 PO'd April 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Sounds like we are finally getting serious about this scumbag ($7,775,000 serious).I don’t think any judge or jury is going to take this crime against two
defenseless women at home lightly. Hopefully, a life sentence will be the outcome.
Goodbye F—o.

35 VikingPrincess April 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Great job PHPD

#32 you are correct, there is…perhaps that will unfold too.

36 Fed up April 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Respect…. No picking on Elders!!!!!!!
Hanging at Pleasant hill Park to be announced

37 Take THAT Mofo April 1, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I want to know what his connection was to that specific house. Highly doubt it was chosen at random. LOVE the bail amount! :)

38 Jo April 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Wow great job police!

39 Chris Jenner April 2, 2014 at 5:28 AM

This was my friends grandmother that was assaulted. Glad to see this guy gone.

40 Dave April 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I wonder how proud HIS mother is now, she raised an outstanding citizen……..(LOL)

41 Anon April 2, 2014 at 7:12 AM

This man has lived in Lafayette the last 2-3 years folks. There is a devastated family behind this story and one of a battle with addiction. Very sad.

42 Nutcreek Frontier April 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I feel for his wife and kids, must be ghastly to know your family member is capable of terrorizing older ladies. Still, the bulk of my sympathy goes to the poor women he victimized; they will no doubt, have nightmares for the rest of their lives.

43 M April 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Congratulations on such a quick arrest. Thank you Pleasant Hill police department. Team work with Antioch PD got the arrest of that scumbag.

44 dinkydau April 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I have a loaded Walther by my bed and a Colt M4(big black terrible assault rifle that crazy people have)Carbine loaded by my bed. I live by myself and once my residence is broken into, I am afraid for my lift and property, I will defend it and kill the dirt bags that want to do me harm. I will not feel sorry for them or for their families once they are dead.

45 M April 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Congratulations on the fast arrest of this scumbag. Great job, hard work and team work pays off.

46 Concordejet April 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Great Sketcher Well Done!!!!!!!!!!

PHPD and APD worked hard to catch that criminal in just 48 hours.

I am in the process of purchasing a peephole security camera there a lot of difference ones from Ebay I want to get the kind where you put the monitor behind the door and lens fit through the peephole. they seem to work pretty good.

Dose anyone else have one of those set?

47 JJC April 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I was born and raised in Antioch, CA and have lived there now for 55 yrs.. I am so happy that another bad person has been caught – I constantly pray that Antioch would stop allowing these thugs, criminals and low-lives to live in what used to be a very family orientated community. I wish other towns within our county would share with low income housing so everyone will have their share of these types of folks living in their town, but, I forget if you are wealthy than you are exempt! I am a person that has worked for 40yrs and hate where I live now because of the criminals, low lives that are taking over my town. I also pray daily for our officers as they have a very dangerous job. For all the low lives, drug addicts, criminals “get a Job” and help your community you live in.