The Claycord Online Museum: The Concord Pavilion’s 1983 Program – Sponsored by Michelob & Designed by Playboy

April 1, 2014 · 17 comments

music

This program, for the 1983 concert season at the Concord Pavilion, was sponsored by Michelob, and designed by Playboy Magazine.

This program is for sale on eBay.

When was your first concert at the Claycord Concord Pavilion?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

1 Pete Crooks April 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I’m working on a story about the Concord Pavilion’s history for Diablo magazine—something short and fun for the front of the book. Would love to know what people’s first concert was, as well as how much they paid for the ticket! I saw Steve Miller on the lawn, summer of ’86 I think. I want to say it was $12 to get in.

2 Concord Grape April 1, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Our first concert was, I believe on the Fourth of July MANY years ago. Waylon Jennings was there. I remember also that there was trouble with the bathrooms. Ladies ended up going in to the Mens.

3 Diablo April 1, 2014 at 3:20 PM

The Thompson Twins, don’t remember the year though.

4 Cowellian April 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

We saw one of the free 4th of July concerts, long, long ago.

5 bored@work April 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

My first concert there was probably 1981/1982. Saw Heart. Opening acts were Johnny Cougar and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Heart was okay, Joan Jett was okay, Johnny Cougar was awful. Nothing can compare to the Day on the Green concerts at the Coliseum in the 70’s and early 80’s. They were so much fun!

6 Bryan April 1, 2014 at 3:48 PM

It may have been one of the first concerts the year it opened — they sold 99¢ tickets for The Guess Who. At the last minute the band cancelled and The Pure Prairie League filled in. Whether or not the show was any good, we all felt ripped off for the price of our cheap-o tickets.

7 DrummerBoy April 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM

First concert was Hall & Oates H2O tour, 1982. I think it was maybe $16.
But I can’t remeber who the opener was? Anyone else remember?
Also- the Thompson Twins concert in 1984- Chris Isaak was supposed to open (he was totally unknown back then) but he canceled for some reason and was replaced by Marshall Crensshaw- his only hit back then was “Someday, Someway”.

8 RunnerDope April 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I saw Bing Crosby there. I believe it was the summer of 1977; one of his last concerts. Also played there in 1982 with Silver Saddle; a show of local country bands featuring Frizzell and West.

9 Carol April 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Probably back in the 70’s – saw America there. In the middle of a song the sound went out but the band didn’t realize it. They were singing but the audience couldn’t hear anything. When the sound came back on, the audience started clapping and cheering. The band members just looked at each other – they had no idea what had happened or why the audience started clapping in the middle of a song.
Also saw Boz Skaggs around the time of Silk Degrees. Fun place

10 Rose Garden April 1, 2014 at 5:13 PM

My first concert at the Concord Pavilion was Lynyrd Skynyrd and Nazareth in 1976. Great concert! It was probably $10-$12. I use to hold on to my ticket stubs, but they got lost in the shuffle!

I agree that no concerts compared to Day on the Green concerts in the 70’s and 80’s. Five or six great rock bands all day long for $15 or $16? Nobody did it likely Billy Graham!

Thanks for the memories!!!

11 Mustang Sally April 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Flat out don’t remember.

12 ClayDen April 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM

We went the second night it was open to see Chuck Mangione. As I recall, Sarah Vaughn was the opening night performer.

13 Dingman April 1, 2014 at 7:28 PM

My first concert was mid 70’s Sha-na-na

14 RanchgirlCA April 2, 2014 at 5:23 AM

My first show at the Concord Pavilion was Rick Springfield, summer of 1982 or 83. I don’t recall the ticket price. Fun day!! It was the first of many.

15 mwo1859 April 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM

My first concert at the pavilion was travis tritt opened up for Kentucky head hunter. The cost of the ticket was 9.33

16 georx April 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

My first concert(s) were the free symphony performances as a little kid. My family would sit on the grass and bring a picnic. My first non-symphony concert was Richard Marx in 1994, also free because I worked as a parking attendant at the Pavilion and got free tix. That was a great summer job, I worked there 7 years from when I was 16 through college. Anyone remember the orange parking attendant jumpsuits?!

17 Mr. Pink April 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Sadly, my first concert was Barry Manilow. I think I was 12 or so. But I made up for it with a lot of good shows: Elvis Costello, Tom Petty, Eddie Money, Tears for Fears, The Black Crowes, Chicago, George Thorogood, etc.