UPDATE: Woman Loses Purse, Rings, Passport During Armed Robbery in Clayton

March 31, 2014 · 43 comments

A person was robbed at gunpoint on Windmill Canyon Rd., off Keller Ridge Dr. in Clayton just before 8pm on Monday night.

The victim was robbed of her purse, rings, passport, and possibly other belongings.

The suspect is described as a black male with a ski mask. His vehicle, which had a driver, was described as a dark colored SUV with a spoiler. The get-away driver also had a ski mask covering his/her face, according to a witness. No other description is available, and no injuries were reported.

UPDATE, 9:23pm: The woman, who we’re not identifying, is the owner of a jewelry store in Contra Costa County.

1 RCA March 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Typical

2 ? March 31, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Odd location for a robbery. Wonder if she had just been shopping and was followed?

3 Michelle March 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I really don’t like hearing about things like this. Be safe when you’re hiking.

4 RAPIDRATE March 31, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Its crazy how the government has flooded concord, pleasant hill, walnut creek with all kinds of Riff Raff “youths” from Oakland and Richmond with there mass expansion of low income housing racket. Even the nicest neighborhoods of Clayton are not safe from the violent “youths” these days..

5 Antler March 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Passport? Is there some reason the perps KNEW she was packing a passport?

6 Amy March 31, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Something’s fishy. Their faces were covered with ski masks (she says they were black) and use a car with a spoiler which would be easy to identify and the crime took place in a place very far away from a freeway on ramp.
I believe more details will emerge.

7 Atticus Thraxx March 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Something smells funny about this story.Spidey senses tingling.

8 Peanut Gallery March 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Go figure….

9 Sam Y March 31, 2014 at 9:37 PM

That is a secluded kind of neighborhood…..a perfect place for a robbery. Not a lot of traffic and not visible from any busy streets….sounds like they were just waiting for a victim to arrive home alone :( very sad and scary!

10 Jerk March 31, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Michelle, The Street is Named Windmill Canyon, LOL!
PS – This happened too early, had it happened after midnight, the perp would have been pulled over before committing this crime, since according to Clayton Police log – All activity with the Police happens between midnight and 6 am, after that the Cruisers are all parked empty on Clayton rd.

11 Craig Cannon March 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM

There is a Second Amendment. It’s Your Choice to Exercize This Right. Really Cowardly to Rob a Woman, Alone, just going home.

12 ? March 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM

“owner of a jewelry store”
Likely reason she was followed. She is lucky.
Need to be aware of your surroundings always.

Antioch, CA Christmas week 1993 .

13 scary March 31, 2014 at 10:12 PM

i know who the victim is… she is a very sweet lady. I am so sorry that she had to go through that. My thoughts are with her and her family.

14 anon March 31, 2014 at 10:26 PM

agreed she was most likely followed from her store.

15 Michelle March 31, 2014 at 10:30 PM

ok Jerk, I didn’t google it, I guess I should have but I was too busy. I stand corrected.

16 anon March 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM

They must have followed her home. Wouldnt be surprised if theyre caught pretty quickly being the owner of a jewelry store theres probably many good cameras around. And people have noticed shady characters.
i dunno if i owned a jewelry store in this economic crisis i’d live in a gated complex.
most hikers arent carrying valuables on them. that’s what this is all about.

17 anon March 31, 2014 at 10:43 PM

boy some are so quick to think something is fishy. There are definitely more details already that we arent told. Even w/ a ski mask on, when somebody says something such as ‘i’m not going to fall for that banana in the tailpipe again’ a person’s race can be evident. no matter how many times i try to say it I still cant sound like eddie murphey.

18 Izzy March 31, 2014 at 10:49 PM

So sorry this happened, karma will get this pos.

19 Jess March 31, 2014 at 10:58 PM

How frightening! That’s an unusual neighborhood for an armed robbery. I suspect she was targeted, perhaps followed home from her store. Perhaps they thought she took cash or jewelry home with her. I wonder if the keys to the jewelry store were in her purse.

20 lizzy March 31, 2014 at 11:09 PM

This is frightening, maybe they wanted to exchange jewelry but went about it the wrong way. You never know these days, I hope they get these crooks.

21 Chad March 31, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Insurance fraud? Just throwing that out there….

22 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 31, 2014 at 11:59 PM

A spoiler….. on a SUV? LOL! Tell me it was purple & had those chrome spinner hubcaps on it too!

23 Shelly April 1, 2014 at 5:15 AM

Terrifying. I feel awful for the lady. Lowlife weaner.

24 anon April 1, 2014 at 6:32 AM

If the jewelry store had surveillance cameras I’ll bet the suspects are on the video also maybe neighbors had cameras capturing the crime in progress.

25 I'm just sayin April 1, 2014 at 7:08 AM

It’s a shame we can’t just preemptively arrest folks like this who clearly don’t belong here. If we don’t work harder to keep folks like this out, this is going to turn into another Oakland.

26 Weird April 1, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Definitely doesn’t sound like a random act especially since she owns a jewelry store. Hope they catch the jerks that did this. Need to clean up our streets, but I guess they won’t stay clean due to our wonderful prisoner early release program. We can all thank those that believe we need to have empathy to release thugs early so that they don’t have to suffer in an over crowded prison. They can rob us and terrorize the community instead.

27 jb April 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Weird you are so right about letting thugs go early…as they will rob us
what else do they no…just to get back inside again.

I feel so sorry for that woman..I am glad she did not get hurt. I wonder if she had a passport that she was going to travel to purchase more jewelry for her
store…if I were her I would sell the store and retire..travel…as this may happen again with our bad economy…always people that are watching our habits and know when we are going home…and wait to steal from us instead of getting a job…ha what is a job these days…easier to steal from the rich and give to the poor….ha

28 Security Gate? April 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM

It wouldn’t take much to put in a security gate at the bottom of Keller Ridge! There’s only one way in and one way out of this neighborhood and I’m sure the cost of a gate spread between all of the homeowners in the area would be pretty minimal. I know it won’t keep everyone out, but it might deter the majority of problems that seems to be coming in a lot more lately.

29 Just once I'd love to read..... April 1, 2014 at 9:53 AM

that a victim pulled out Glock and blasted a hole the size of a basketball through some Peuking Scumbag, and left him to die like a stinking rat, flopping around in a putrid puddle of his own death bile and feces…..

30 Silva April 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Oh yeah wait a minute.. spoiler on an SUV?

31 MrDuckyWucky April 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM

look for the mayor to bury this article as fast as possible. The perpetrators profile doesnt fit the left wing agenda.

32 Horse n around April 1, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I’m so glad you weren’t hurt. I hope they catch those SOB’s. It sounds like you got good descriptions of them and the vehicle. And don’t listen to some of these people on here. Take Care.
From Opi’s Hair stylist.

33 Rose Garden April 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM

This is scary. She was obviously followed home from her jewelry store. Every small business owners worst nightmare. Being followed home or to the bank.

I hope she’s okay. Giving up a wedding ring would be tough, but it’s not worth losing your life over.

I hope these guys are on camera somewhere, and I hope they’re caught.

34 Mr. Pink April 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Clearly they knew who she was and followed her, which, I guess, is better than a random act? Maybe?

35 P. H. Neighbor April 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Just horrible!
Thank goodness she wasn’t hurt or kidnapped.

36 Dumb Guy April 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Suv with a spoiler? Strange.
How’d that vehicle get by the patrol cars parked on Clayton Road?

Should #30 be walking the streets? Wow!

37 MrDuckyWucky April 1, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Probably the same clayton ghetto kid that was, a couple years ago, mugging little kids from the area for their ipods, iphones, etc.

Some things never change.

38 @Antler April 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Some people travel abroad often enough to make keeping their passports in a safe deposit box terribly inconvenient. I’m with the other poster. It’s highly unlikely that this woman was targeted for her passport.

39 Rose Garden April 1, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I keep my passport in my purse at all times. Logically speaking, it’s probably not a good idea.

But for those of us who travel a lot personally and professionally, domestically and internationally, it’s better than getting caught in a foreign country without your passport. You won’t get in.

Carrying your passport isn’t like carrying your SSN. It’s a form of ID, and for those of us who travel a lot, it’s not something you keep in your safe deposit box. To me, it’s not that different than my driver license.

It depends on your lifestyle.

40 Tink April 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I think these two guys were at Safeway around 8:20 pm

41 Antler April 2, 2014 at 1:31 AM

My opinion is that some of you on here need to realize that the Claycord release information is VERY incomplete. The woman was not even named….so I took off with some wild guessing at #5… as in playing Private Eye……PLAYING!!! (My bad for forgetting to use the ;-) )

But I’m dead serious on how to manage one’s passport as a responsible citizen of this nation! There was a time in my life when, because my husband flew for Pan Am and then for United (beautiful travel-privilege “perks” back n those days!), I took pleasure trips abroad several times a year. My passport was safely tucked into a security folder (bought from Travelsmith), which hung around my neck on an adjustable slash/proof cord….and which also held my driver’s license, a credit card, a few small bills of cash in the currencies of the countries where I planned to travel….enough to get me to a place where the exchange rates were more favorable than in the airport or the hotel….and my medical “facts”. Trust me, it was NEVER forgotten because it was already around my neck when the Airport Connection (now Airport Commuter) limo driver picked me up. Back then, we didn’t have a home safe, so my passport was kept in a locked drawer of my husband’s desk. I always had to go to the bank anyway to pick up a lot of traveler’s checks, so a safe deposit box would not have been an inconvenience; it’s just that we didn’t want to rent a box.

Rose Garden, the whole truth is that you will never get OUT of this country unless you can show Security/Customs your valid passport and valid visas for each country in which you will be traveling. Sometimes I had to go to various countries’ consulates in San Francisco so as to get the visas…always a fee, of course…and always a day of meeting extremely courteous consulate staff. I know you must have lots of fascinating stories to tell us about your own travels. Please do!!!

Let’s all hope that the guilty people will be caught and given a decent measure of punishment!

42 Rose Garden April 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Antler, thank you for sharing your opinion. One day I hope to share my traveling experiences!

43 ConcordMike April 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Let’s jump to conclusions and become arm chair detectives without all the details. Oh wait, some of you already have.