Two Women Threatened with Gun, Locked Inside Bedroom During Sunday Night Home Invasion Robbery in Pleasant Hill

March 31, 2014 · 40 comments

179073_173294619382131_463425_n

Pleasant Hill Police are investigating a home invasion robbery that occurred just before 10pm on Sunday night.

Police say at about 9:50pm, the suspect, who is described as a white male adult in his mid-30s with a dark beard, knocked on the door at a residence in the 900 block of Santa Lucia Drive.

When one of the residents opened the door, the suspect displayed a handgun and forced his way inside, police said.

After locking the 53-year-old and 84-year-old women inside a bedroom, the suspect stole several items from inside the residence, including jewelry and electronics. The suspect also stole the victim’s car keys and fled the area driving the victim’s vehicle, which is a silver 2013 Volkswagen Passat with a California license plate number of 6XYC377.

The suspect and vehicle are still at large. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to call the PHPD Investigations Bureau at 925-288-4630.

1 Russ March 31, 2014 at 5:57 AM

Opening your door at 10:00 at night……..

2 Concord cares March 31, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Pretty sad that when you open the door, you never know what might be waiting for you on the other side.

3 UN F>>>N BELIEVABLE March 31, 2014 at 6:35 AM

There is a special place in hell for scum like this!

4 Must have been targeted March 31, 2014 at 7:16 AM

That sounds like a rather planned out crime. He must have known them some how through dealings directly with then or family members.

5 Kathy March 31, 2014 at 7:20 AM

I live in the neighborhood and had a knock on my door about 9:10pm last night but did not go to the door, I looked out a bedroom window and did not see anything, heard the neighbor’s dog barking. I would never open my door to anyone I do not know and this is the reason.

6 jb March 31, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Never open your door late at nite…after dark is when the bad people are out to rob you and if you have a 84 year old in the house even a better reason to not open the door…call the police….look outside if you have a peep hole…or window first…Never…open the door…bet they do not open it again…to late now….glad they were not hurt…could have been worse…but to lose they car also…hope the scum bags are found… I never go out late at nite…you never know who is out there to do you harm. sad it never use to be that way..

7 The Mamba March 31, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Looks like this is a block away from Sun Valley Mall. He won’t get very far with that detailed description of the car. You are either not very smart, have a death wish, or know the victims if you are invading homes with a high probability of people being there…

8 94519 March 31, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Yes #1, I agree. Unless I am expecting someone
I don’t open the door for anyone .
Even though I am ” prepared”.
I am skeptical about some of these reports, I
just don’t think these happen at random.

9 Kai March 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Now I don’t feel so paranoid with my newly purchased security system. It has a panic button. I didn’t think I needed that.

10 Lori March 31, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Very scary situation, I am glad they made it through this alive. I don’t blame the victims, everyone SHOULD feel safe enough to open their front door. However this is not reality these days. I am leary about opening my door in broad daylight let alone 10:00 at night and I have a locked security screen door, cameras, and an alarm. Paranoid you ask? Maybe but I feel safer with added precautions.

11 Peanut Gallery March 31, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Again….these a**hole, scumbags should be shot on sight when found. No questions asked, just eliminated.

12 Justin March 31, 2014 at 8:03 AM

What a jerk. I hope they nail him easily because of the car.

13 VerySad March 31, 2014 at 8:03 AM

What is going on out there? Can’t even open our doors without being afraid? It’s sad that our beautiful community is becoming the ghetto. What a tragedy.

14 @4 March 31, 2014 at 8:08 AM

What ? In particular, what ties them tho the victim in the story ? The knock on the door (he didn’t have keys). Stealing the car ? Using a handgun on two old ladies that you know? If you know them, just walk in using your spare key when you know they are not at home. (Or bust a window) No confrontation, no evidence, easy.

What the hell are you thinking ?

15 P. H. Neighbor March 31, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Yes, so darn sad…this is a now monthly occurrence I have noticed. Thank goodness these people are okay, physically.
Just heard it on ch. 2 right now. There was another one in Fremont, a women came home to two men in her home, held at gun point to lay on the floor, robbed. She is soooo lucky she is okay.
This is extremely dangerous…don’t open the door for anyone you don’t know day or night.
Our son opened the door when he was young…even after we told him to never open the door to strangers. It was a young women selling something, she looked innocent enough. We had to have another talk with him.
Geez, our area has really changed. I don’t feel safe!

16 Walnut Creek Resident March 31, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I do not even open my door during the day if someone knocks that I do not know. My folks said recently there has been someone knocking on the doors in Rossmoore at 4:30 am. The police are aware, but people are feeling very uptight about this. There has been a stranger walking around there in their neighborhood too. I am sick about this robbery and home invasion. It is very dangerous and I am thankful for Claycord to let us all know. Never open your door unless you know who that person is!!

17 I would have loved to read.... March 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM

that the 84 year old woman came charging out of the bedroom, Granny Clampett style, with a double barrrel shotgun, and blasted the Peuking Maggot’s guts all over the living room…..I’d happily volunteer to help them clean up the death bile, feces, bone fragments and brain matter……

18 Michelle March 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM

WOW! Catch this POS-this is just upsetting. Glad they got the car and license plate info. This should be an easy find.

19 Carl March 31, 2014 at 8:49 AM

How can you be locked “inside” a bedroom when the locks are on the inside?

20 Anonymous March 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Security cameras help, put one by your front door and driveway, so that you are not opening the door without a heads up.

21 Shelly March 31, 2014 at 9:04 AM

So sad. Sorry to these ladies for what they must’ve felt as they endured this horror. What they must be feeling now. I don’t have much in the way of bling, but sometimes I think twice before wearing a bit of silver, and I’m pretty able bodied. Yeah, you can’t trust whoever comes to the door. Sad.

22 Tony M. March 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Well it is Pleasant Hill….. that area has gone downhill in the last few years, not so nice like it used to be years ago. Sad.

23 anonanonagain March 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I heard this on the news this morning. The victims said they did not know the suspect. Very scary indeed. These poor women lived in a generation when you could trust your neighbor, had the respect of the young and wouldn’t have to worry about someone brandishing a gun.

24 Edward S. March 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The same thing happened in the hills of Martinez along Starflower drive. The woman was home alone watching T.V. when someone kicked in her door and robbed her. And yes, they are quietly knocking on doors and checking to see if they are locked around the neighborhood.

25 Cuzzzzz............... March 31, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Know your neighbors and neighborhood. If you see a suspcious person or vehicle cruising back and forth more than a couple of time call the local PD.
Chances are the creep had been watching this home and knew when to stike. As the old saying goes if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and poops like a duck……it’s a duck. Trust your gut instincts as they are usually correct.

26 Scrappy March 31, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Two men came to my door in the middle of the day and knocked on my screen door (security screen door I could see them but they couldn’t see me). As I was walking towards the door I noticed I forgot to lock screen so as I was saying hi, I slowly locked it so they wouldn’t notice. Thank God I did because after the short conversation about how much they liked my muscle car they tried to open the screen! Realizing it was locked being a security screen, they left. The police never found found them. I now own a very very large dog.

27 Circling Drain March 31, 2014 at 10:47 AM

How about we attract people with little education an few job skills to our state with free money and benefits. An while we’re at it let a bunch of convicted Felons out of prison. Time for new leadership in OUR State.

28 Diablo March 31, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Sure am glad they didn’t have a gun to protect themselves with. The bad guy’s might have gotten hurt.

29 WHY?? March 31, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Who opens their door to a stranger at that time of the evening????? Common sense says “DON’T DO IT!!” Ask questions through the door. If there’s any concern call 911. It’s that simple.

30 Bang Ding Ow March 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Isn’t it likely this scumbag knew something ahead of time? Like the residents recently had painters, gardeners or repair work of some sort done? That’s my belief. What a shame we can’t trust the help these days.
Still, these ladies should have called on a neighbor to check out the situation and not opened their door, period. Yes, people, you can do things to prevent crime and/or make it much more difficult for potential crooks.

31 Rose Garden March 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM

This is sad and scary. I hope these ladies are okay.

I don’t know if home invasions are random or targeted. Probably both.

I hope they catch this guy.

32 Call 911 March 31, 2014 at 12:35 PM

This is why we need to call 911 when someone rattles our door knob or lightly knocks at the door at night or any time.
This scenario is exactly what I fear for my older neighbors who live alone.
And do NOT answer your door to strangers.
Hope he gets caught. Glad the ladies are here to tell the story.

33 @23 March 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Yep ! You are.

“I’m going to get it for this. So many guns easily available on the streets. It’s insane. Almost any idiot can get a firearm these days. That’s life in good old America…..”

The problem isn’t the ease of getting guns. The problem is the idiots robbing other people. Without guns, these idiots would have used a baseball bat or knives like they have done in China, Australia the UK etc. The problem is the IDIOTS, NOT THE GUNS.

2ND PROBLEM…. if you “ban” guns, it gets easier for the idiots to rob other people and the problem gets worse, not better. Guns are a great equalizer for law abiding people. Quit blaming guns.

I’ll turn in my guns as soon as the criminals turn in theirs.

34 Ute March 31, 2014 at 2:10 PM

It’s my neighborhood. Now the vermin is coming to our little area. Hope they catch the scumbag. It’s disgusting to scare little old ladies with a gun.
wonder if he ever thinks that that could be his mother and grandmother.

Well I guess, vermin does not thick. wish him all the bad karma plus!

35 VikingPrincess March 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Isn’t there a cash for gold shop around the corner? What are there hours?

36 VikingPrincess March 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Their hours…

37 We should let them go because they are good kids!!!!! March 31, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Do you get my sarcasm????

The problem as I see it the laws protect the criminals our system makes excuses for the things these “LOSERS” do!

You get in trouble if you defend yourself or if a cop helps they get sued!

And when they get to jail with all expenses paid with better health care than you have they sit on there asses and learn to be better criminals all at our expense!

Hey and did I mention that our laws do “NOT” apply to them….

Please let me know what you think we need to start a comity or get organized.

We are being singled out because we have made something of our self’s!

SO THE QUESTION IS…. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Please post how we can help these very nice lady’s so that we can as a community help them get through this and so that people realize that not everyone condones this type of behavior!!!!!

I am truly sorry that this has happened and I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO HELP MAKE SURE THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!! WHO IS WITH ME??

38 Mimi (original) March 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM

This is one reason I have a security screen door – just a little bit more protection than nothing at all. But I would NEVER open the door late at night (or any other time, really) without either looking out the window or asking who is at my door. And, yes, this might be a common sense action, but, as we know, many, many people have no common sense…..

39 Law Abiding Citizen March 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Dont worry, Pleasant Hill is enacting a ban on gun shops or something so that must mean bad guys cant bring guns to Pleasant Hill right?!

Call 911 while getting your gun ready to blast this mofo if he breaks in is what you people should be doing.

40 Kelley April 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Those homeowners needed dogs; the dogs would have alerted them if someone was around their house without dogs. Important lesson, always have dogs.