The Water Cooler – Child Rapist Given Probation Because He Would “Not Fare Well” in Prison

March 31, 2014 12:11 pm · 78 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Today’s question:

What are your thoughts on this story?

A man convicted of raping his 3-year-old daughter dodged jail time for the crime after a judge ruled that he would “not fare well” if he was sent to prison.

According to The Detroit Free Press, the man, Robert H. Richards IV, heir to the the du Pont chemical fortune, was convicted in 2009 of raping his then 3-year-old daughter. The judge in the case, Superior Court Judge Jan Jurden, noted in her sentencing ruling that she considered unique circumstances when deciding that Richards would not serve prison time for the assault.

In her ruling, Jurden wrote that Richards “will not fare well” in prison, and that sex offender rehabilitation treatment would be more beneficial than jail time.

READ MORE, and tell us your thoughts: Heir to du Pont fortune convicted of raping 3-year-old daughter, not sent to jail because he would not ‘fare well’

Talk about it….

1 Obvious March 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Money makes the world go round.

2 Sandra March 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM

WHAT! He should be in prison!

3 Incognito March 31, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Boo Hoo
And, he had a female judge? Wow!

I wonder how his daughter is doing today?

4 sex offender rehabilitation treatment March 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM

is a fanciful program developed by bleeding heats to justify keeping monsters who rape and abuse children alive. The treatment does nothing to deter the sex offenders from repeating their heinous offenses.

Obviously this judge was bought off in some manner. What sort of woman could condone the rape of a three year old by her father in this manner?

Money trumps justice. This case proves the point very well.

Richards should take the needle, or just be shot, for raping his own three year old daughter. There is no excuse or justification for such an act by a proven freak of nature.

5 Key word here... March 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Du’Pont, you can figure out the rest for yourself.

6 Cuzzzzz............... March 31, 2014 at 12:19 PM

He’s heir to the duPont fortune……..Says it all. He is being protected because he is wealthy. If it was one of the middle class Claycord residents he would be in general population at a state prison. Money is all that matters in the American culture. That is extremely sad

7 Officer Barbrady March 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM

8 barn March 31, 2014 at 12:24 PM

can you say paid off that’s b.s

9 RCC March 31, 2014 at 12:26 PM

INCONCEIVABLE

10 SP March 31, 2014 at 12:26 PM

It’s sad… he deserves to go to jail in a pink outfit, so he can entertain the crowd! You can’t teach a predator not to pray on someone… is the same as if you try to convince a tiger that he’s better eating vegetables! Will the tiger eat it??? Even if the tiger do eat the vegetables, what are the chances of the tiger go for a piece of meat if it’s a easy catch? My point is: you can’t change a predator, but we should keep them away from society and away from our children!!! I feel sorry for the baby, no justice for her!!!

11 Hope the jude learns how rape feels. March 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Money or not that young girl will suffer with this for the rest of her life.
The judge should be removed from the bench. And they should investigate where the money she received for this went. Then put her in jail where she will not fair well either.
Praying that he does not act out on another child.
Just a huge WOW!

12 Castrate Him March 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I don’t care who he is. People like that don’t deserve to live.

13 GoGo Gomez March 31, 2014 at 12:37 PM

All these people should be shot !

14 keith March 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM

This is unbelievable. There is no cure for these pieces of sh-t. What about protecting our children from this monster. Why is that not important to this judge. Pedophiles should be put to death. No exceptions. That judge should be held accountable for not punishing this animal. Why as a society do we put up with this. Why are we not yelling and shaking our fist to fix stuff like this.

15 Rose Garden March 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Unfortunately, justice isn’t black or white. It’s green.

“Not fare well” if he went to prison? Isn’t that the whole idea of prison? Aren’t sex offenders segregated anyway?

These predators get off lightly enough as it is, but if you throw money in the mix you’ll have exactly what happened here. No justice for his three year old daughter.

It’s not only sad, it’s pathetic.

16 P. H. Neighbor March 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM

WHAT!
I heard this on the radio yesterday! Unbelievable!!! Makes me so sick.
This has to be overturned, now!

17 Dr. Doc, PHD March 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM

If elected, that judge should be impeached. Otherwise the prosecution should appeal the sentence to the next higher judicial level.

18 Anon March 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Just another example of why title 9 doesn’t work.

19 so sad and sick March 31, 2014 at 12:51 PM

This waste of human life should burn in Hell.

20 Bill Houston March 31, 2014 at 12:52 PM

because money rules, look at your own lives, if you could get a little more you would, better car, TV, etc…. it rules

21 Dorothy March 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM

As far as I can tell, sex offender rehabilitation treatment doesn’t work. I see no reason to keep a child rapist out of jail on such a flimsy excuse. Makes me wonder how many greased palms were in this.

22 Gargoyle Socks March 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM

It used to be that that was the point of prison? To punish, which by definition, means one doesn’t fare well.

23 Bishop Estates March 31, 2014 at 12:55 PM

So stick his ass in solitary!!! Justice was not served here. I hope he has NO contact with his daughter.

24 cainmyrearview March 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I wonder what political office she’s running for?

25 The Mamba March 31, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Him not faring well is exactly why he should go to prison.

26 Miriam March 31, 2014 at 1:04 PM

This is just Sad! He needs to be put in jail with the rest of the offenders; no leniency!

27 Cameron March 31, 2014 at 1:10 PM

It’s pathetic how the courts are ruled these days. He should be in jail along with the rest of the the sexual assault offenders. Except he should be spending more time because it was a 3 year old. BS

28 Cowellian March 31, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Richards and Jurdan should share a cell.

29 Silva March 31, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I’m absolutely speechless.

30 Anon2000 March 31, 2014 at 1:27 PM

This really pissed me the f*ck off! Poor little girl, she is going to have to deal with this for the rest of her life. She is only a 3 year old, breaks my heart. I hope this judge realizes what she has done.
This world devastates me

31 Makes me sick! March 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM

If someone touched my kids or any kids I know, I would be in prison for life for murder! Because there would be no stopping me. They are defenseless children! I don’t understand, I just don’t get how any creature could do this to any child, let alone their own child! 20 seconds, just give me 20 seconds with him!!!!

32 Kelley March 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM

What kind of cr** did he get away with! This is an outrage to the community.

33 kira March 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM

The demons of darkness are awaiting his soul

34 Terrible March 31, 2014 at 1:32 PM

How disgusting. Money talks loudly in this country. He should be neutered.

I hope his daughter is ok after all that terror. Poor thing.

35 Carl March 31, 2014 at 1:33 PM

He would not “fare well” because he would be on the receiving end of what he did to his daughter. There is a double standard for sex offenders in prison, regardless of how bad the crimes are for other convicts. Sex offenders are looked upon as the lowest of the low.

36 KJ March 31, 2014 at 1:44 PM

According to an article in Vanity Fair, “he also admitted to sexually assaulting his infant son.” http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/03/du-pont-heir-gets-probation-for-raping-3-year-old-daughter

The article goes on to discuss the bad deeds of other members of the Du Pont family: At least some of them actually ended up in prison.

37 Anon March 31, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Wow! Check her bank accounts please. She should have to resign from the bench. Prison isn’t supposed to be easy or fun. They both are useless to society.

38 RK March 31, 2014 at 1:44 PM

These kind of people should be shot in head!

39 Emily March 31, 2014 at 1:57 PM

It’s a form of capital punishment.
Got capital? No punishment.

40 chuckie the troll March 31, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Wouldn’t fare well? Why should he enjoy the rest of his life when prison is the best deterrent? I don’t believe his 3 year old daughter fared well under daddy’s “care”.

I guess being wealthy doe have its privileges.

41 bored@work March 31, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Unbelievable that that can be used as an excuse for not sending him to prison. In my opinion if he raped a 3 year old he should be executed, period. There is no help for someone who does that. The judge herself should be sent to prison for failing to protect that poor little girls who’s life has been forever affected.

42 Wasn't one of the other duPonts a homosexual March 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM

who set up a camp for wrestlers where he subjected them to all sorts of depraved acts sodomy and scrotulingus….and murder

43 ClayDen March 31, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Throw them both in prison. Disgusting.

44 Shelly March 31, 2014 at 2:34 PM

OMG. The guy’s 6’4″ and HUGE with the ugliest face I’ve seen ALL DAY!!!

45 A thought March 31, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Certain higher profile criminals are kept separated from the general prison population for their own protection, and protection of others, guards etc… Like Charles Manson… Why not in this case? If that was the concern, really, there are ways to imprison someone without having them in the general population of a prison. So I call BS. It was money. Or something, not that he would not fare well in prison. Which is true, child molesters are pretty much raped and killed in prison. And quick. Which is Karma and justice, but, people in America, even prisoners, have rights. No cruel or unusual punishment? So anyway, no. I du Not buy it.

46 VikingPrincess March 31, 2014 at 2:37 PM

This man will not last long….

47 Khloe March 31, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Unbelievable! Sickening! A 3 year old little innocent toddler. How could someone do something so disgusting & it’s your own blood. My heart goes out to the child who will be labeled for life.

48 Shelly March 31, 2014 at 2:49 PM

At least his children should be able to afford the best therapy available. Yes, he also abused his son.

49 My Two Cents March 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM

This piece of filth should be castrated and thrown in a molten volcano!! So, being rich has it’s privileges!! Although this has been obvious for years. I hope somebody offs this worthless excuse of a human!! This was his own flesh and blood. Wouldn’t do well in prison…..does anybody do good in prison?!…The Judge should be fired!! From a felony to a misdemeanor in two shakes of a checkbook!! This case is RIDICULOUS!!!! ALL CHILD MOLESTERS SHOULD RECEIVE A DEATH SENTENCE AFTER THEY’VE HAD THEIR GENITALIA REMOVED WITH A CLEAVER!!! Every Murderer and Child Molester should be flown in a plane and pushed out into a molten volcano! I’ll volunteer to fly the planes!! Why do we protect them?! They’re costing taxpayers millions and millions of dollars every year. They get taken care of better than hardworking Americans!! Shame on you Supreme Court!!

50 KaL March 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Inconceivable!
No Jessica’s law in Delaware?
This is almost as bad as the Texas teenager (16) who got 10 years of probation after killing 4 and injuring 2 others while driving drunk because of his affluent upbringing. Do a search for the affluenza defense.

Justice in America certainly appears to not be blind to the color of money.

51 KaL March 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Jessica’s law in Delaware
Chapter 11:
HB 404 (2006)
25 years to life mandatory minimum sentence when victim is younger than 14 years and the crime is rape, continuous sexual abuse of a child, or a dangerous crime against a child.

He should never have been able to plea to a lessor charge. This should be overturned by a higher court.

52 Mimi (original) March 31, 2014 at 3:29 PM

This is one of the most assinine verdicts/sentencings that I have heard in a quite a while! Can you say, “Paid Off?”

53 mika March 31, 2014 at 3:30 PM

All about the money. Show me a minority or white trash getting the same sentence.

54 animal March 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Are you freaking kidding? How is the 3 year old “fairing?” Shoot the POS and be done with it!!!

55 Mr. Pink March 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I don’t even have to read the comments to know where the majority is landing on this one. Different laws for the rich I guess. Joe Citizen would be thrown to the wolves.

56 Merc March 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM

His choice should be public stoning or jail that’s it!!

57 Merc March 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM

That freaking judge should be disbarred and deported!!!!

58 JRConcord March 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM

PHUKING WOW!!!

59 anonanonagain March 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM

What??!!! This is sickening. Where was the sympathy for the child who was raped at age 3?? He wouldn’t fare well in prison? How pathetic. The judge should be thrown in a room with this monster for 6 months wearing a negligee and some cheap cologne.
We still have a long way to go when it comes to protecting children. More so when it comes to meting out punishment of these scumbags.

60 Atticus Thraxx March 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Rapes a frickin three year old and no prison? I can’t process how that’s possible no matter how much money you have.I’m stunned.

61 Kelly anne March 31, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Wow! Sheriff joe arpaio for president .i’m sick of this crap!

62 DLB March 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Jail and a rape inside would be the perfect punishment for the crime!

63 it's all about class I tell you March 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM

These kinds of miscarriages of justice, and the “effluenza” defense, are a danger to the elite ruling class. It’s one thing to have the system rigged to favor the rich, to have the poor working harder for less every year. The poor are dumb and they put up with it. But when the rich start excusing themselves for rape and murder, I think those kinds of seeds of discontent can upset the whole apple cart. The rich need to offer up a sacrificial lamb once in a while so the teeming masses still believe in their justice system.

64 Izzy March 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I can’t see how this is possible, that pos should get the ultimate reward for his beyond heinous crime!

65 JWB March 31, 2014 at 7:28 PM

… just wondering whether anybody here actually has any knowledge about this case? I don’t that’s why I wouldn’t think it would be appropriate to comment one way or the other.

But I guess the typical Claycord low information crowd only needs a few lines from a blog to form a “well informed” opinion?

66 Local Guy March 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Rich people don’t go to jail. Why did the even bother to give him a trial?

67 Cuzzzzzzz...... March 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

JWB – you dolt. Raping a 3 year old says it all. Nobody needs more fact. The phrase “rape his 3 year old daughter” should tell you everything. but noooooooooo…………….you think this guys is just peachy keen. You are the uninformed and a truly sick sick sick person
Someone above mentioned castration………..perhaps this a$$wipe should be castrated with an extremely dull, rusty serated knife

68 JWB March 31, 2014 at 9:20 PM

@ Cuzzzzzzzzzz

since you seem to be the expert please explain the difference between a second-degree rape and a fourth-degree rape?

And why is a fourth degree rape a class C felony for which guidlines suggest zero to 2 1/2 years in prison?

Clarly I doubt that you will be able to respond since you can’t even comprehend a few lines which is shown by the fact that you read my statement: “I wouldn’t think it would be appropriate to comment one way or the other” as: “you think this guys is just peachy keen”

69 gratt March 31, 2014 at 9:23 PM

the judge would have not given him probation if the victim was the judge’s child, that is pretty much how it goes in most courts, Probation is a JOKE!!!

70 Antler March 31, 2014 at 9:27 PM

….which is precisely the reason I would have slammed him into prison!

71 jets April 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM

County employees are in great healthy shape!!! Just look around!!!

72 larke_73 April 1, 2014 at 5:16 AM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?!! I am absolutely speechless this is completely unheard of. Please send him to the fellas, they’ll take care of him.

73 @JWB April 1, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Hey JWB; Did #63 strike a nerve or are you in need of some form of therapy? A fourth degree rape in Delaware is penetration when the victim is too young to LEGALLY consent. You think that should apply in the case of a toddler? It does not.

74 JWB April 1, 2014 at 7:24 AM

I guess if for you knowing the facts before judging means “needing therapy” so be it.

75 Idiocracy April 1, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Whatever happened to Justice

76 RanchgirlCA April 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Maybe the judge should serve in his place then. What a load of crap.

77 Rose Garden April 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM

There is more to this story than wealth and privilege.

The defendant’s Dad is a retired partner in a law firm. Besides wealth and privilege, you have “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”

The Detroit Free Press claims this judge had a reputation of tough sentencing. I can’t help but wonder if she didn’t sentence him to prison because his Dad is a friend as well as a former colleague.

If that’s the case, she’s unprofessional, and her decision needs to be overturned.

I hope she followed sentencing guidelines, but it makes me wonder.

78 Irish Momma April 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Every bit of his inheritance should go to this child.