A’s Have 35K Sellout Crowd for Tonight’s Opening Day Game w/Rain in the Forecast

March 31, 2014 12:44 pm · 36 comments

as

The Oakland A’s are set to play their Opening Day game of the 2014 season tonight against the Indians with a sellout crowd and while rain is forecast, the team is hopeful that history will be on its side, an A’s spokesman said.

The A’s ballpark, O.co Coliseum, has not had a rainout during a regular season game for about the last 15 years, according to A’s spokesman Bob Rose.

The National Weather Service reported today there is a 100 percent chance of rain for the Oakland area today, with the possibility of a thunderstorm with small hail and gusty winds tonight.

The infield at O.co. has been covered since Saturday, when an exhibition game between the A’s and the San Francisco Giants was canceled due to rain, according to Rose.

For tonight’s season opener, with the first pitch by A’s starting pitcher Sonny Gray expected at 7:05 p.m., the A’s have sold out their stadium’s approximately 35,000 seats, Rose said.

On the mound for the Indians tonight will be Justin Masterson, according to mlb.com.

The opening ceremony is to feature Matt King, singing the National Anthem and a color guard from Travis Air Force Base will bear the flags, followed by some fireworks.

King will also sing “God Bless America” during the opener, Ross said.

Rickey Henderson, a former A’s outfielder who holds Major League Baseball records for career stolen bases and runs scored and was inducted in the league’s Hall of Fame in 2009, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Tonight’s scheduled game is the first of a three-game series for the A’s against the Indians.

The Giants are in Phoenix tonight at 6:40 p.m. Pacific Standard Time against the Arizona Diamondbacks for a three-game series, followed by a three-game set against the Los Angeles Dodgers in Los Angeles before Opening Day at AT&T Park on April 8 against the Diamondbacks.

A’s fans who bought tickets to Saturday’s game got rain checks, or free passes, to a future A’s regular season game, according to the team’s website athletics.com.

1 Concord Guy March 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM

American League baseball isn’t real baseball. Time to can the DH rule!

2 Rose Garden March 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM

GO A’S!!!

We’re long term season ticket holders! We’re going, rain or shine!

Grew up with season tickets as well. Spring is my favorite season for this very reason!!!!

3 @concord guy March 31, 2014 at 1:02 PM

@ Concord Guy~
Your dumb dude.. Do your research before you speak.. The DH rule is used by all levels of baseball from Collegiate to Single A to the MLB. Even International teams use the DH or some variation thereof.

The only teams that dont use them are National League MLB, National League Triple AAA and National League AA, and Little League. Single A and Rookie ball the DH is used all the time..

Who the heck wants to see the Automatic out pitch bat anyway.. Only people that dont really like action I guess.

And of course Giant Fans.. But they are clueless anyway and didnt jump on that Bandwagon until 2010 so they dont know baseball either..

4 Brian March 31, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Agreed w/ #1

5 cjk March 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Rain will probably be gone by game time with on/off showers.

6 @5 March 31, 2014 at 1:50 PM

that’d be nice. Let’s Go Oakland!

7 @3 March 31, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Stop choking in the playoffs, and stop tarping off entire sections of your stadium in order to call it a “sellout”.

8 Mark March 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM

@Concord Guy

If we throw out Mr. Selig’s dumb tie in the 2002 All Star game, the American League has won 19 of the last 25 games.

Just sayin.

9 Let's Go Oakland March 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Mark my words: There will be a whole lot less Orange and Black around Claycord the next few years.

Giants fans will once again forget about baseball altogether unless they ever win the World Series again. That’s just what happens with that fan base. Not all of them, but a huge portion of them. You see them in the stands looking at their phones throughout the whole game. They don’t love their team, they love winning. So if their team doesn’t win, they don’t want anything to do with ‘em. They will one day do well again. And when they do, people will once again slap fuzzy animals on their heads and shell out $85 to drink cha-cha-chardonnay, and stare at their phones for three hours.

10 Let's Go Oakland March 31, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Great park though.

11 Cloudy with a chance of Hotdogs, Garlic fries and cold, expensive beer March 31, 2014 at 3:04 PM

The rain is suppose to hold off until approx. 9pm according to the latest weather report (today) I saw. GO A’s!!!! :)

12 Charles-the-cat March 31, 2014 at 3:07 PM

We’ve been an A’s household since my son was four years old and his first baseball/t-ball team was the A’s. His little green jersey came down to his knees and he wore it 24/7 for a week after he got it. Little dude grew up taking grief in a school full of Giants fans but he never strayed from his A’s. If he goes on to study architecture in college, it will be in part because he’s been designing new ballparks for his team since he was in middle school.

13 Kelley March 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM

That’s going to be a nic cold beer.

14 Rose Garden March 31, 2014 at 4:02 PM

@ Lets’ Go Oakland—9

You are correct! It’s what’s commonly known as a “fairweather fan.”

People like hanging with winners. But a “true fan” goes to the ballpark and supports their team, regardless of what place they’re in. Or how lousy the weather is…lol!

The Giant’s are okay……I grew up going to both sides of the Bay. I make it to a Giant’s game now and then……when asked by a Giant’s fan……usually to keep the peace with family and friends. Or if it’s business related.

Let’s go Oakland!!!!! Clear up rain. I’m ready for some baseball!! A’s fans never give up!!!!

15 Don P - N. Concord March 31, 2014 at 4:17 PM

@ #7 You’ll have to voice your concerns on the coliseum to ownership, we have nothing to do with that. Regarding the playoffs, you can’t choke in them if you don’t even get there. Have fun in the cellar.

Lets go OAKLAND

16 Can You Say 4 March 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Four World Series Titles in Oaktown! Lets go A’s!,,,

17 The fat rat March 31, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I love guys who claim the dh rule isn’t real
Baseball!!

As if watching a guaranteed out every 8 hitters is real baseball.

Its fun to watch someone like colon hit but it’s a joke at the highest level.

18 Kelley March 31, 2014 at 7:12 PM

oh what was that! That’s “nice” not “nic”.

19 I'm The Urban Spaceman March 31, 2014 at 10:32 PM

>>Sounds like a Clueless Giant Fan comment anyway.. Just saying.. Do your research before making a dumb comment

Just a bitter and asinine comment devoid of actual facts.

SF has drawn over 2 million fans for 15 consecutive seasons…12 of which were over 3 million.
As an aside…your comment makes you look just plain clueless.
And I'm also an A's fan, too.
Good luck to SF & Oak this year.

20 94519 April 1, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Lets see,A’s0- Ind’s 2 ahhhh.
Giants 9 , D’Backs 8 yayyy!

21 94519 April 1, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Please disregard my last comment. I forgot there were 161 more games and The superior A’s will get far more W’s than my precious Giants.

22 94519 April 1, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Perhaps I will have to tolerate somebody using
94519, it is just a zip code after all. But baseball
is baseball, GO GIANTS !

23 94519 April 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM

YAY GIANTS!! We’re now one win closer to maybe getting to .500 this year! Hooray!

24 94519 April 1, 2014 at 8:49 AM

To whoever is posting as 94519 that isn’t me:

Look, I recognize the A’s are the better team in the bay area, but let me root for my guys, ok? I think they’re a real fun club with hotties that have cool nicknames like MadBum and Panda. Is that so wrong? GO GIANTS!

25 94519 April 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Go A’s! Woot Woot!

26 94519 April 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I give up. GO A’s!!!

27 94519 April 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Jus playin, really Go Giants!

28 94519 April 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM

OK, I know this looks weird. Here’s the deal. I’m a front-runner and a crap-talker. I’m in the transitional phase of going from supporting the Giants (they won the world series ya know…like twice) to becoming an A’s fan. With the Giants missing the post-season last year (and every odd-numbered year for the last ten years), I think it’s time I pretend to I’m all about the two-time division champion A’s. I’m nervous and excited. See, I’m nervous because I think the real fans will see right through me, but I’m excited because I finally get to support a team before they win the World Series in this era. Then I can say I was a fan “before” it was the popular thing to do. I sorta missed that boat with the Giants. I mean I liked them a little bit when Bonds was around, but only up til the steroid thing. Anyway, I’m think I’m ready to start doing the Burger Lean or whatever, but I’m still going to have a hard time parting with my cute little Panda hat. Go Whoever’s Winning!

29 94519 April 1, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Let’s Go Oakland!!!!

30 94519 April 1, 2014 at 3:16 PM

You know, I admit I just blabber away at time. Let’s Go Giants!

31 94519 April 1, 2014 at 3:17 PM

“times”

32 94519 April 1, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Forget you both GO DODGERS !

33 94519 April 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Oakland is the better team, hands down. Giants will be lucky to win 75 games this year.

34 94520 April 2, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I like the Giants, I just hate their stupid fans, Let’s Go Oakland!

35 94519 April 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Go Giants! World series winners.

36 94519 April 2, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Go A’s! World Series winners x4!!!