Scammers, Telemarketers Frustrate Claycordian on the “Do Not Call” List

March 29, 2014 20:26 pm · 86 comments

phone_call

This message is from a Claycordian who is fed up with all the telemarketers and scammers who are constantly calling her home.

I’m not sure if you have covered this issue on Claycord.com, but the number of calls we have been receiving from scammers is outrageous.

Our phone number is on the “do not call” list, but apparently that means nothing to cyber criminals. We have been receiving calls from 937-763-3343 and 1-000-012-1233. The person speaking has a very heavy Indian accent and claims to be working in Washington D.C. The 937-763-3343 number is located in Ohio! Sometimes it is a male and other times a female.

The purpose of their phone call is to inform us that we qualify for a $7000 grant at no cost to us. They have asked us where we do our banking and what is our bank checking account number so they could deposit the $7000 directly to our account. At that point I hang up on the intruders. But, they continue to call at all times of the day and night. Yesterday, I asked one of the culprits his name, phone number, business address aand ny other official proof that his grant offer was legitimate. He became angry and hung up after expressing a few expletives. We no longer answer anonymous calls. We wait for them to leave a message instead. Yet, we still get numerous calls from the same scammers’ phone numbers…..many hang ups and messages are never left.

I am a senior citizen approaching 80 and feel that these scammers are targeting the elderly. Several our senior friends have received phone calls from the same numbers listed above.

If you haven’t covered this issue it would be a great service to senior Claycordians to remind them to beware of the scam. Also, we would like to know how to keep these low lifes from calling us. To say: “Don’t answer the phone and they won’t call back.” That doesn’t work. We’ve tried that strategy.

Thanks for taking the time to ready about my concern.

Sorry this is happening to you, and thanks for the alert!

Has anybody else received a call from these people, or from somebody similar, and if so, how do you keep them from calling in the future?

{ 86 comments }

1 Anon March 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Sounds like the same people who is calling our house. Last week it was tech support for my windows server and the grant.

2 Silva March 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM

That sounds all too familiar. My elderly mother was plagued by never ending telemarketing calls. The only thing we could do was not answer the phone unless it was someone we knew or were expecting to call. They always disconnected as soon as they knew we weren’t going to answer and never left messages. Very annoying.

3 Dee March 29, 2014 at 8:38 PM

My parents have been getting them too and this guy calls from a number that reads out it’s from Kingston JM most of the time. Anymore just let it ring when we see where it’s from and there have been a few time I have let them have it with my Dad’s arm whistle when I am over there and then just hand up. So anymore I have them convinced now that if it’s an 800 or out of area # or “private caller” just let it go Sooner or later they will get a clue. Like I told them the people that know you are programmed in the phone so it will tell you who it is.as well as legit businesses

4 Do Not Call! March 29, 2014 at 8:45 PM

We are on the Do Not Call list and have been getting a ton of calls lately. They are from all over the US.

I thought it had to do with our switching to Comcast, even though I re-registered our number.

5 The "Do Not Call List" is a joke March 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

just one big Loophole. I screen all my calls, most hang up, some are recordings, if someone is actually on the line I immediately telll them I am not interested…..YOU HAVE NO REPONSIBILITY TO BE POLITE TO THESE PARASITES……

6 anon March 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM

They’re not just targeting the elderly, we’ve had calls from that 937 number too. I found answering it a few times and leaving the phone just sitting there on mute stopped the calls

7 Mark March 29, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I try to keep scammers on the phone as long as possible. I do that to anybody soliciting for anything. We too are on the Do Not Call Registry. When they finally realize I am messing with them I start laughing hysterically. I make it a game to mess with them. Sometimes I put them on “hold” for a minute or two while I fetch my “financial information”, which, of course, I make up as I go. I’ve given some very interesting bank names to them. Try it – it’s can be fun.

8 RC March 29, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I’m sorry that you have been getting these annoying calls too. Often, we get calls that come from a.”000-000-0000″ number or something similar. We do have caller ID, which will often tell us who is calling, but sometimes it will say, “No Name Found” or something similar.

We just don’t answer the phone. If I don’t recognize the number, I don’t answer. If it’s someone who really wants to speak with us, they’ll leave a message. SO, SCREEN YOUR CALLS! That’s the beauty of answering machines.
If this is truly bothering you enough, get CALLER ID. If you already have tbat, get a good cordless phone system, i.e. Panasonic, where you can block those numbers. Your phone may ring once, but after they call enough, they will stop.
I had 30 blocked numbers, but then once that limit was reached, I unblocked the oldest ones and added new ones in. It has worked over time.
SOMETIMES, YOU JUST HAVE TO TAKE THE PHONE OFF THE HOOK AND CHILL OUT, OKAY? You may also try setting the pbone down, when they call.
Then, walk away and do something else. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em!

9 Michelle March 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM

We have been getting these calls for the past few years, It’s actually a barrage of numbers, not just that 937 number. We don’t answer phone numbers we do not recognize. period.

10 Karma March 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Have some fun, let them think you are very interested. What I do while I’m talking, in mid sentence, I reach over and unplug the phone. They won’t know what to do.

11 Amy March 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Just 1 day after I switched my land line to Comcast I started getting calls from telemarketers and lots of hang ups. Yes, my number is unlisted and I am on the federal do not call list. So I looked up what to do on the internet. If you have caller ID you can then block incoming numbers by using the *60 feature. Also you can block calls without ID with *77.

12 itsme March 29, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I was getting them 3-4 time a day. Every time I get one now I submit a complaint to the FCC. Google their website for the internet claim form. As far as the scammers are concerned, especially if the receiver is elderly the FBI should be contacted. My friend’s mom was getting scammed continually…unfortunately she was sending money. She called the FBI who took all of the info. They apparently can do something if the calls are originating in the U.S.

13 Eat food March 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The do not call list does not matter, do not be polite to them, they are not your friend. I pretend to be an elderly man they is hard of hearing, stringing them on before I give them the big f u! This is not your parents telemarketers, do not treat them like humans, as they are not of this species.

14 Grammy S March 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM

We are also on “do not call” status for our phone, but I am in with the others….it simply does not work. We get any where from 4-6 calls per day, selling all kinds of stuff. I usually ask them to add me to their do not call list, but I see no decrease in these calls. A growing problem.

15 Anonymous March 29, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I get 4 to 6 calls daily. I do not have caller ID. I am on the Do Not Call List. (that’s a joke!) Usually I say hello, and there is a very long pause then I hear the call connect, I hang up. Sometimes I hear a robo call and hang up, or I get an actual person and I hang up. See if I say hello, the other side needs to say hello and keep speaking. Not just say hello back and pause. Click!

Any friend of family would just start talking. Hello, it’s Mike is so and so home? Not just hello…… Long pause…. click. No patience for these calls.

16 Rose Garden March 29, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I’m sorry this is happening to you as well.

I would change my number, make sure it’s unlisted, and be VERY CAUTIOUS who you give your number to, especially people you do business with.

You shouldn’t have to change your number, and I realize it can be very trying. It’s better than being harassed.

My elderly Mom was targeted (she’s a widow), and my brothers and I convinced her to change her number. She’s glad she did.

17 Local March 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM

If I get two or more calls. I report immediately to the so not call report website. They have always stopped after that.

18 mr rogers March 29, 2014 at 9:34 PM

In Mr. Rogers neighborhood the solution is a simple one. When the callers name or number comes up .on caller ID if I dont recognize the caller i hit he on button and the off button very quickly. Works for me.

19 Dorothy March 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

It’s unfortunate but not answering and letting the calls go to voice mail may be the only way to go. I don’t have caller ID and have to remind friends that if they don’t say something when voice mail comes on then I miss their call and don’t know it was them. I’m also on the Do Not Call list for both the land line and the cell. It just doesn’t stop the hard core scammers who are often not even calling from the US. When I do pick up the call because I’m expecting someone else to call I just tell them that I don’t do anything over the phone. That doesn’t stop them either so just hang up on them. I kind of like the idea of asking them to hold on a minute for some reason and them letting the phone sit until they hang up.

20 Advertisers March 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I receive 3 or 4 calls a day at my business from recordings trying update my Google presence. Unfortunately, not answering the phone when running a business is impossible. Often the caller ID tips us off and we don’t answer, but now that people move all over the country and keep their cell phone numbers, even an unknown area code could be a legitimate customer trying to call.

Frustrating, but I guess I’m the fool for thinking the Feds could actually do something well enough to stop illegal calls. I should have known better.

21 MDUSD Grad March 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Easiest way to put a stop to the telemarketer calls:

Get rid of your landline.

22 94598 March 29, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I’m on the do not call list also- but I’ve been getting a lot of calls- I don’t get it. Didn’t have a problem until about 6 months ago- it’s absolutely rediculous and annoying

23 mutts March 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Someone called yesterday about free services from my Med ins. As soon as they said I may qualify for govt. help I said I didn’t want anything from the govt. and hung up.
I began to make an appt for a carpet clean then at the end I told them I was just wasting their time like they do to me. I’m also on a do not call list.
When will people learn nothing is free, especially over the phone.

24 YZF600r March 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I’ve been a Telemarket before. Never give your phone on forms like best buy or anybody at your door like solar guys. If you provide your #, then that company does not have to follow the “do not call list” laws. You have to verbally tell the company exactly to ” put me on your DNC list” or else they can keep calling. If they call after that you can pursure legal action.

25 ding a ling March 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Do not pick up the phone unl;ess you recognize the nunber. Have the scammers blocked! DO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS, just like mama warned you!

26 Elaine March 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM

We are also on the do not call list, but telemarketers somehow get through. It’s so frustrating at times because I work at home a lot and use my phone for business. Immediately when they start their spiel, I tell them to put me on the do not call list. But these phone numbers changes so often it’s hard to keep up with them. We’ve made it a habit not to answer numbers we don’t know and especially the “unknown” numbers that pop up from time to time. I’ve also reported many numbers, but it doesn’t seem to help.

27 MONSTER March 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM

THERES A THING CALLED THE ANNOYANCE CENTER WHERE U CAN MAKE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THE NUMBER AND THEY WILL TRACK IT AND I BELIEVE BLOCK AND OR NOTIFY THE PARTY /WARN THEM, AND I BELIEVE POSSIBLY FINE THEM IF IT CONTINUES. ITS BEEN AWHILE BUT ITS EITHER DONE THROUGH THE (YOUR) PHONE COMPANY AND OR CALL THE OPERATOR AND SHE WILL B ABLE TO ASSIST U WITH THAT. GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS.

28 Chester E. Kitty March 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I was at my elderly mother’s yesterday for about 3 hours. And in that 3 hours, she received 5 (yes, five!) calls from people she did not know. She did not answer any of them (she has caller ID) and every one of them hung up. I don’t get any calls. I can’t understand why she gets so many. She doesn’t want to change her phone number because it’s the same one she has had for over 50 years. And really, she shouldn’t have to change it! I put her on the DO NOT CALL list but like everyone says … that’s a joke!!!

29 ClayDen March 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM

We usually don’t answer our phone unless we are expecting an important call. We usually let it go to voicemail, and will only pick up if we recognize who is calling. We have considered dropping our landline due to all of the calls, however we keep it for emergency use, as it works even if the power is out.

30 Biotch March 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I tend to pick up the call, wait 2 seconds then hang up without saying a word. I assume it shows the telemarketing business the call went through to me but that there was no success in reaching the deal of a sale. I’d like to think we are then taken off the list instead of ending up on a call-back list. Wishful thinking?
I, too, have been on the do not call list and re-enter my information every so many years but still receive plenty of calls.

31 In my 50s, getting them too March 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I’m in my 50s and getting these calls too. As well as the ones saying they’re calling about a deficiency in my income taxes, and to call immediately before legal action is taken.

I’m on the Do Not Call list, too.

I went to the FCC website and filed a complaint.

32 Nomorobo March 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

If you have a phone service that supports it, try using Nomorobo.com. Within a few weeks it’s stopped all telemarketing calls to our land line…and it’s free! The downside is it can be tricky to setup, but it was so worth it.

33 Linda March 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM

we have been getting the same type of calls. The last one is told I was saving all the phone # they were calling from and the next call I was going to make was to Home Land Security. That was 3 weeks ago. So far no more call.s

34 Vanessa March 29, 2014 at 11:51 PM

We have been on the do not call list since it first started. Thank God it’s worked for me because I have said vile things to the telemarketer to have it stop calling. HA!

35 And Another Thing March 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Just switched to Comcast and started getting these calls. Called Comcast and they assured me they weren’t selling numbers but suggested I register with Do Not Call registry under my new carrier, Comcast. I did and thecalls stopped . I get one a week now….Wife has a whistle and blows it loudly into the phone on these calls….she laughs maniacally to herself afterwards

36 Kelley March 30, 2014 at 12:28 AM

I got a call from 937-763-3343 on 3/22/14 at 8:46am and then at 10:50am on the same day. I didn’t answer and they didn’t leave a message.

37 Hank Sponjoli March 30, 2014 at 6:06 AM

Listen to 107.7fm they run a segment called “Dickin’ with Telemarketers” every day during the week between 8:10am and 8:15am, it is awesome!

38 Cowellian March 30, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Getting mad, saying nasty things, or slamming the phone down won’t help.

You have to use the phrase “put me on your do-not-call list“. Then, make a note of the conversation. If they call back, you may sue them in small claims court.

39 dinkydau March 30, 2014 at 7:09 AM

I haven’t had one of those calls, but if the caller is a female I will ask is she likes sex and is attractive and like hot tubs. Then they hang up.

40 blindboy March 30, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Listen to 107.7 the bone they do a thing called dicking with Telemarketers. It will give you some ideas how to have fun messing with these people.

41 dilligafman March 30, 2014 at 7:44 AM

I screen all my calls.The outgoung message on my machine says”If this is a sales call , survey or religious call HANG UP AND DO NOT CALL THIS NUMBER AGAIN!!.”

42 Don't Censor Me Bro March 30, 2014 at 8:16 AM

File a complaint with Federal Trade Commission

43 . March 30, 2014 at 8:27 AM

How about one of those little compressed air boat horns in their ear?

44 anon March 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM

My phone has a do not disturb button so it doesn’t ring. It only lights up when I get a call. If someone I know leaves a message I call them back. I haven’t had a telemarketer for years.

45 Lindoda March 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I identify myself as a law enforcement agent . That seem’s to work pretty good.

46 Teacher Wannabe March 30, 2014 at 9:00 AM

@MDUSD grad. Doesn’t matter, they’ll call the cell phone too. Once I confirm its a junk call I block it.

47 MikeK March 30, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Got a couple voicemails from the “IRS”, heavy on the Jamaican accent, obviously reading from a script, ridiculous. Though sadly, somebody somewhere falls for these things, otherwise there’d be no reason for these morons to exist.

48 macawlady March 30, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I am getting calls asking me to do “surveys” and I don’t know if they’re legitimate or not…I never give out my info to anyone but these people have my correct name and phone number….I just hang up on them. Still, it worries me. I’m at a loss. Anyone else having this problem?

49 anon March 30, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Just one of the side benefits of signing up for insurance under the ACA?

50 L. March 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM

“do not call list” is a joke! Who wrote the legislation? Probably the robo callers! I am SO tired of these calls. I try to screen them thru my answering machine and have filled up my blocked calls list. This is an invasion of our privacy and our right to the pursuit of happiness. How about it lawmakers…a law with real teeth…that bite thse guys where it hurts…in the wallet!

51 Incognito March 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Cowellian is correct.

We have an unlisted phone number and am also on the “do not call registry”. The rare times we receive a marketing call, I interrupt them immediately and inform the person they have call an unlisted phone number and to remove me from their calling list. They acknowledge this and say okay. Conversation/phone call over.

Another suggestion which I have used. Make a note of the number and company (if identified) who called you. If they continue to call you, tell them now that you have their information, you will file harassment charges. This approach works well.

Most recently, I received a marketing call asking for my husband’s mother who has been dead for 20 years… makes you wonder what phone lists are being circulated.

52 nytemuvr March 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM

You can put the number from the phone call on a google search and there are websites that people report telemarketer’s numbers and you can usually find out who it is. One website is http://800notes.com to find other people that have received calls from a particular number.

53 Incognito March 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Mark #7 has a fun approach to this frustrating situation.
I have found the telemarketers from other countries will get frustrated with you if you play along and have some fun with them. They clearly are reading from a script and anything varying from this will make them frustrated.

54 Here's a Thought ... March 30, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Why not simply answer by saying “Homeland Security” or “Federal Bureau of Investigation, how may I direct your call?” …

55 @Cowellian March 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM

That’s exactly what I do and it seems to work. I answer with simply “Take me off your list” then hang up before they can respond …

56 Captain Bebops March 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Apparently with VoIP they can spoof the phone number and that’s why you are seeing weird phone numbers including 925 area code numbers starting with 1 where there are no such numbers in this area. Sometimes I tell them to “f off” and hang up. Sometimes I start asking them crazy questions which throws them off script. Sometimes I play a recording I made of a totally made up language. And to make matters worse some of the companies I do business with will use a “Toll Free Call” ID to contact such as a bank to notify you they are sending a replacement credit card out due to a security breach. They shouldn’t do that.

57 Just_My_Two_Cents March 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

MDUSD Grad – I’ve received them on my cell too.

Why do we need to find the solution? We pay for our telephone service. They are stealing from us. The National Do Not Call List should help us take care of this problem. It doesn’t seem like they are doing anything.

58 Clayton Squirrel March 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

It’s sad that we have to be so defensive. I expect every call I don’t recognize to be from a telemarketer but I am polite though sometimes short with them. This is good because one call came from a scholarship organization reminding my daughter that she hadn’t submitted her final application. Oops. This was real and something we wanted to know. I’m really not going to give anyone who cold calls any business and I don’t know why they think we own a time share…

59 @42 March 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM

The FTC does not investigate your complaint. They pretty much say this right up front. It’s a complete waste of time. The “do-not-call” list was just garbage cooked up by politicians to make it look like they were doing something. It accomplishes nothing and probably costs us a fortune to administrate.

60 Me too March 30, 2014 at 10:06 AM

We get them constantly, especially the carpet cleaning guy. I’ve been polite, I have acted weird towards them, I’ve told them I’m going to sue or report them to the U.S. Secret Service.
Yes, were on the Do Not Call List. They seemed to increase when I started getting my social security. I think they target the seniors, and my father in law has been burned.

61 reluctant farmer March 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I had some fun a while back with that caller from “DC” Called early in the morning and I said “Do you realize you are calling the west coast?”
Immediate answer was” I am from the govt in Wash. DC”…I repeated info about west coast and he had no idea what that meant and hung up.

Was hard to keep from laughing…kind of made my day LOL

62 Blue Fan March 30, 2014 at 10:14 AM

There are hundreds of “government programs” presumably to “help” people, anyone supposedly involved with one of these govt help scams can ignore the do not call list. Like govt representatives do (i.e. I’ve had to delete many calls from George Miller, who can rot in hell btw). In fact, regulations in general don’t seem to apply to the regulators or their pet programs. Like congress is exempt from Obamacare, post office employees don’t have to pay for social security, government vehicles don’t have to comply with smog checks (ever driven behind a school bus or city truck for two minutes?). There’s us patsy’s and then there’s the ruling class…

63 Anon March 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Looks like the majority of answers here have been good advise. The thing to remember is unlike in the past when the telephone brought you news, good and bad, now it also can bring you advertisements and criminals. So the easiest thing to do is do not answer it if you don’t recognize the number. Get CallerID if you don’t have it, and a phone or device that shows the number calling you. You should also use Call Blocking, if you don’t have it you should consider getting it. It is part of the package of services I get from AT&T, and came in handy when a company wouldn’t stop calling me to try and sell me their service. As well you could consider screening your your calls, which is were you let the call go to answering machine, which you then listen to as they leave a message, if they do. It may seem rude to do, but I bet your friends and family will understand, and the bad guys, well they can go to blazes.

Good luck!

64 Marissa March 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM

These telemarketers just call asking to sell things, consistently. I have caller ID and call blocking which I found to be very good tools. I guess we can consider telemarketers “bad guys” but there are real scammers out there that I really don’t want calling me. When they star talking, just hang up. I had someone say they were from homeland security and they wanted to do a survey–big time scammer. Just hang up the phone.

65 Concernicus March 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM

“Our phone number is on the “do not call” list, but apparently that means nothing to cyber criminals.”

…are you surprised by this? you know what else doesnt mean anything to people who dont obey basic social rules? basic social rules.

“If you haven’t covered this issue it would be a great service to senior Claycordians to remind them to beware of the scam.”

let the people who you care to talk to know that youll be disconnecting your phone for a while, then disconnect it. a week should be more than enough time to dissuade them from calling to a disconnected phone number.

66 Jules March 30, 2014 at 11:00 AM

You can report the phone numbers to the FCC. DONT answer the calls is the best advice. They will stop calling but so annoying. My grandmother was persuaded to nearly withdraw $40,000 and mail to canada with these people so their scam works. Thank God for a bank employee who was concerned for this action and phoned our family before she did. They are successful and unrelenting. Don’t give in – they used all types of tactics with her.

67 Jules March 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

As I always say, you didn’t invite them to phone you or knock on your door – you have no obligation to even speak to them. Remember that.

68 Rose Garden March 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Cowellian gives good advice (it’s how my husband and I handle it, and it works for us), but it doesn’t work for the elderly, especially elderly people who are well off financially. They will continue to harass the elderly because they’re home more often, and they’re easier to take advantage of. They want your money…..PERIOD!

A lot of telemarketing scammers are CONVICTED FELONS, and convicted felons aren’t too concerned about small claims court or the Do Not Call List.

Chester E. Kitty, I can understand how your elderly Mom doesn’t want to change her number after 50 years. We had a hard time getting through to our Mom, and she shouldn’t have to change her number. But if’s for HER PROTECTION! She’s had caller ID and call waiting for years, but it doesn’t matter with people who grew up in a generation that “let the phone ring 10 times!” Most people from that generation will automatically pick up the phone when it rings.

The only people who have my Mom’s number now is her kids, her church, her MD and her dentist. Everyone else is reaching her by e-mail (she protects her new cell # too), and she’s sleeping at night because of it!

69 Captain Bebops March 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Jules, the phone numbers are often fake because they are calling using VoIP (Internet based calls) where you can put anything as a phone number. Also I’ve read that Concord is a major hub for telemarketing so locals are easy “marks”. There are apparently a number telemarketing firms in those local business parks.

70 Kirkwood March 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM

On my land line, the ringer is off and everything goes to the machine. If I hear a voice on the machine my ears perk up and if it’s anybody I want to talk to, I immediately pick up. Most of the spam callers silently hang up after a few seconds and 1 or 2 per week leave some kind of message on the recorder. I simply erase the recorder once a day. The bedroom phone has the ringer on for emergencies and I occasionally get a wrong number. The cell is on only when I’m away from home and only family, friends, and neighbors have the number. The only emergency I can think of is a neighbor calling to tell me that my house is on fire.

71 Dorothy March 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM

@ #48 macawlady – I always tell the “survey” people, no matter who or what they say they are, that I don’t do anything over the phone. Maybe I’ll start asking them if they will pay me to take their surveys. Why give up any info for free? I always hang up on any recording or any call that doesn’t respond to “hello” within a few seconds.

I really don’t like it when I’m expecting a call and it turns out to be telephone fishers looking for someone else.

72 Anderson March 30, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Whitelist your calls, it’s the only answer to this crap. My landline calls all go to voicemail (I’ll pick up if I recognize the caller), and I run a call blocker on my cellphone that routes non-whitelisted calls (those not in my address book already) immediately to voicemail, and lets me add blacklisted phone number patterns to just hang up on them immediately when I see robocaller patterns, for example. All my numbers are on the ‘do not call’ list, and have been since that list originated, but that doesn’t always help much — it must help some, as I’ve not had quite the problems I’ve heard about from others. Since I started running the call blocker on my cellphone, the annoying calls have greatly reduced in frequency; even robocaller scumbags can tell when certain numbers are inaccessible…

73 Dukka Dukka March 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I have been answering these calls on my landline(don’t get them elsewhere) in bad impersonations of accents and characters. My favorite is a Edward G. Robinson, you know, “it puts the money in the bag, copper!, ya see, ya see, so you wanna be a tough guy ayyy…..”. They usually hang up after a few words and do not call again.

74 Cowellian March 30, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Kelley@36,
Did you know that you can Google a phone number? A lot of times, Google will lead you to a call registry for telemarketers. For instance, this is the listing for callERcenter for the number that called you: callercenter.com/937-763-3343.html

75 Kelley March 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Thanks Cowellian, I didn’t realize it, thanks for the info.

76 Mother of one March 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Yes and I’m in my 30′s. It’s annoying

77 Rose Garden March 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I promise this is my last comment on this thread. I think I’ve made my point.

I clicked on the callcenter.com link, and read a few of the posts. These guys are threatening to kill people. (Anonymous, 3-14-14, etc).I will give this person the benefit of the doubt that they’re telling the truth in their post.

Threatening to kill the elderly (or anyone) is a serious concern.

Please use good judgment if you’re elderly, or you have elderly parents who are receiving calls from these people, especially if your elderly parent is living alone.

78 Charles-the-cat March 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I once got a call from somebody who claimed their office was in Lafayette, trying to make it appear that they were a locally owned business. It was clear that they were a scam but I played along and asked them where in Lafayette they were located. He answered something vague like “on the main road”. So I went further and said “oh right, over on the north side of town, by the airport?”…and naturally he replied “Yes”. I kept inventing more and more outrageous descriptions of their office and it’s location. So if you are driving through Lafayette and see a multistory yellow brick building on the waterfront, near the airport, you’ll know that’s a good place to invest your money.

79 Kelley March 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Thanks again Cowellian, I actually listed a complaint because we kept getting several calls a day from telemarketers trying to sell us something or take surveys.

80 EBguy March 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Wait….people are shocked that criminal enterprises don’t follow the do not call list?

81 Cat Wrangler March 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I recruited for a professional position recently and a gentleman (who shall remain nameless) appplied. During his interview he claimed to be the most successful telemarketing manager on the West Coast. I should have ended the interview at that revelation.

He went on to describe methods that defy moral and human decency and claimed to run “call centers” for well known mortgage companies and famous non-profit fundraising. He said the same telemarketers call for the different programs and companies and that he used a “pit team with a closer to close the deals the pit guys find.” UGH!

82 Michelle March 30, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Well, that’s what telemarketers do.

83 Jimstrixie March 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I too have been getting the calls daily for the past week from someone with a very heavy accent who says he’s calling from Washington DC to tell me about some grants. I tell them that they just called yesterday & they hang up on me. I’m not answering the phone anymore if I don’t recognize the number! BTW, I’m not old lol

84 Na March 30, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Sounds ridiculous but I ended up buying a phone where you could block telephone numbers. It has worked great for us!

85 ScammingScum March 31, 2014 at 7:57 AM

A few years ago my elderly friend received calls from her insurnace company saying that she hadn’t paid a bill. The person on thep hone became more and more aggressive with threats about this incident lowering her credit unless she gave them her credit card number NOW. She finally caught on that it was a scammer and hung up on him. He continued to call back and she continued to hang up. Nothing happened to this scammer, I wish it had. He also had a heavy Indian accent. When htese scammers are caught, they should be deported. So sick of the dishonesty in people.

86 anon March 31, 2014 at 2:25 PM

if i choose to answer the call, i have a whistle right by the phone and have no problem blowing it in their ear. normally they do not call anymore.