Susan Bonilla’s Accelerated Medical Degrees Bill Approved by Assembly

March 28, 2014 · 29 comments

Assemblywoman Bonilla’s AB 1838, was passed on the floor today with a vote of 71-0. This measure allows graduates of accredited, accelerated medical education programs to be licensed in California.

The following information is from the Office of Susan Bonilla:

This bill creates a pathway for more California physicians to practice in the state, while also providing qualified students of these programs to incur less debt.

“By creating a new pathway for students who have already demonstrated a high level of skill and understanding, we will begin to reduce the growing shortage of physicians in our communities,” said Assemblywoman Bonilla. “In addition, AB 1838 provides eligible students of accelerated programs, the opportunity to graduate with less debt.”

With the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, it is projected that California will need over 8,000 additional primary care physicians by 2030. Student debt is also a problem that has plagued the medical profession, with one year of medical school costing between $12,000 and $82,000. AB 1838 takes advantage of innovative new programs to help address both of these issues.

1 Jess March 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

It passed 71-0. So quite a few Republicans must have voted for it and not a single a Republican voted against it. What do all you Bonilla/Democrat bashers have to say now?

2 Run Dog Run March 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM

And, the medical malpractice
attorneys are poised to clean up
the fallout.

3 Noj March 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Please cite your source = 71-0 vote.

4 just a concordian March 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM

O Canada!
Our home of free health care.
True doctors diplomas and adequate training.
With glowing hearts we feel recovered,
For we are healthy and strong and free

5 Who said this March 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM

would not pass?

Welcome to The Peoples Republic of California. Death to the sick and needy by under-trained and inept Doctors.

So much of the Hippocratic Oath.

6 . . . March 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM

From CA Assembly Bill Analysis “Currently, over 30 medical schools operate six or seven year medical programs in which the undergraduate training is reduced to two or three years.”
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html AB 1838

Interesting congressional democrats had the foresight to include 18,000 IRS agents in obamacare, now over 4 years old, yet nothing in the bill did anything about increasing number of doctors. Will patients need to ask for a doctor’s education and job history before making appointments?

We’re getting doctors from Cuba via Venezuela,
“Over 3,000 Cuban doctors defected from Venezuela in 2013
Most Cuban doctors defecting to the US over the last 12 months came from Venezuela”

Have to wonder if those voting for the bill fully read it and comprehended the bill? Lets hope a decade from now historical data does not confirm an increase in wrong diagnosis an deaths and this bill was a mistake.
But what then heck, as usual, CA Legislature is just winging it.

7 @5 March 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM

“So much of the Hippocratic Oath.”
History proves CA Legislature takes no such oath, to do no harm.

8 Yhe Phantom March 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM

source of vote data

Go to the end of the bill, Ayes list

CT scans and specialists in diagnostics may reduce the training required but I really wonder what corners they are planning to cut.

I have always suspected that foreign trained physicians, passing our Medical licensing tests, were proving our training was excellent beyond the necessary and sufficient. Perhaps they need to revisit how much one should memorize material soon to be out-dated and obsolete.

The sad part is that Doctors once the highest profession, will soon experience the same fate as airline pilots; professional to technician.

9 Killjoy March 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Not so sure I’d want a doctor who’s been rushed through the learning process.
It sounds more like the politicians are doing this simply so they can say that now doctors don’t have such high school bills, so now they can pay them less through the Obamacare program.

10 Yhe Phantom March 28, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I was wrong about the AB 1838 link, looks like the wrong number…that one is all about guns and crime…2012 wrong year,

Bill Text

Ballot

But it looks like it just allows medical school training to start in college before medical school proper. Maybe no big deal after all except one year less to pay big tuition.

11 Yhe Phantom March 28, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The rest of us are experiencing one of the great projects in American history. We are witnesses to what must have happened in the past when great men and women created a new world filled with Hope based on Faith and Change.

We are watching the Continental Congress produce the Constitution.
We are watching the passing of the 14th and 19th Amendments
We are watching the protections of New Deal form.
We are watching the Civil rights of the Great Society form.
We are watching the basic health care institution of ObamaCare form.
………………………………………………………………………………When ObamaCare is completely installed, we can be proud we were involved in a great American project and it will continue long after we are gone…and that makes the goodness of our struggle worthwhile. – Yhe фантом

12 Rose Garden March 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I understand the bill, and I agree with it. I can see why it passed 71-0.

13 RIII March 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM

So, when I walk into a doctors office, do his credentials or his receptionist mention that, “He got his degree in two years? Do I get a discount because he has not even served a Machinist’s or a Carpenters Apprenticeship? This may not be a good thing!

14 Marissa March 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM

In two years I will have an MD.

15 Jess March 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Noj, the first sentence in the article says it passed 71-0.

16 Cadaver Carl March 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM

OH HEAVEN HELP US. Docotrs are so awful now with no bedside manner and Patients knowing more than they do. More extensive education needed and psychological schooling also. WHatever happened to trusting a Doctor????????

17 Rose Garden March 28, 2014 at 11:33 PM

With the exception of Yhe Phantom, clearly people don’t understand this bill.

Eliminating the fourth year of medical school isn’t quite what you’d think it is.

The fourth year is usually made up of electives and applying for residency.

MD’s will still be very well educated.

18 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 29, 2014 at 12:31 AM

You know the first Medical School I attended was in Mexico & all the students there (including me) spent the first 2 weeks dissecting pig intestines, washing and separating the viscera. We found out later that we were actually processing the stuff for a carniceria that was making Chorizo. Students beware!

19 Connie Dobbs March 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM

#17 …. but no so well-trained. It won’t matter to you or Phantom, of course. You sound like you have doctors you got to keep, period. Other people, though, will have doctors who are learning as they go –on them– unassisted by more experienced physicians. That’s what residency is all about, btw. Hopefully everyone will be so considerate as to present symptoms that look exactly like the picture in the book.

20 Captain Bebops March 29, 2014 at 10:13 AM

So how many of your ills really need a doctor anyway? And did your doctor make it through medical school because he was bright or because mommy and daddy were doctors bailed out junior with the dean of the medical school? A friend who attended medical school once told me how bad many of the students were at biochemistry which of course is at the core of medicine. And BTW, the AMA likes to keep the graduating numbers low so their alumni can charge you more.

Best learn a little about medicine yourself and maybe your medical bills won’t be so high by running to the doctor every time you get the sniffles.

21 Yhe Phantom March 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Connie,

Go back to school…if you are not in school, a school will be appointed for you….period.

I don’t care which Doctor I get with my health care…it does not matter…they are all qualified licensed practitioners…period

You may not like a Doctor, and I don’t like my financial consultant…irrelevant…period

22 Rose Garden March 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Connie, you can always question well educated professionals about their educational level as well as their professional experience. As long as it’s done in a tactful manner.

I question others all the time, and others question me as well. It’s always with a smile.

You can always further your education. It’s the key to success!!!

By the way, you don’t have to explain residency to me. I understand residency very well.

23 Connie Dobbs March 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

#21 Really? That’s the best you can do? “Go back to school?”
Am I also a big doodyhead?

24 Connie Dobbs March 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM

#22 If you want my money you’ll answer my questions regardless of how I present them. Why would a treat a physician with any more or less deference than I would treat a plumber or mechanic. Tradesmen serve an apprenticeship. I’d like doctors to do the same.

25 CW March 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM

European countries have 6 year combined university/med school programs and it hasn’t resulted in poorly trained doctors. Personally, I’d like to see an 8 year program that combines the last 2 years of high school, college, and med school. Bright kids often have a lot of repetition between high school and college coursework (a lot of the lower-level science I had in college was a repeat of the honors track high school courses).

26 Rose Garden March 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

#24, You should treat everyone with dignity and respect.

Nobody is any better. Some people are just better off.

A positive attitude always helps…..

27 Michelle March 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Whoheartedly agree with you, Rose Garden, it’s the only way.

28 Rose Garden March 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Thank you Michelle.

29 Nice Nancy March 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM

If they are on the fast track to medical school, cut out all the “unnecessary” classes which are required to get a Bachelor’s Degree: Women’s Studies, Asian American Family, Philosophy. In fact cut these classes out all together and focus more on the major. I was a Digital Design major but felt so unprepared when I graduated, because I had to take what amounted an extra year of these baloney classes. I think they require them to keep the professors in these subjects employed.