Covered CA Director Visits Concord Call Center During Final Push to Enroll Uninsured Residents

March 27, 2014 16:10 pm · 65 comments

With just days left for millions of uninsured Californians to sign up for healthcare under Covered California, the state health insurance marketplace’s executive director stopped in Concord today as part of a statewide push to get last-minute consumers to enroll.

Residents have until 11:59 p.m. on Monday to start an online application for a healthcare plan through Covered California, the state-run health insurance marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. Those who at least begin their online application by that deadline will have until April 15 to complete the application, avoid a penalty and get coverage by May, Covered California officials said.

Covered California confirmed the firm March 31 deadline despite a White House announcement Wednesday that deadlines would be eased for some consumers under the federal marketplace.

“If you haven’t applied yet, do it now,” said Lee. “We are concerned that high numbers of people will come to our doors at the last minutes and won’t be able to get enrolled in time.”

The open enrollment period will be extended for those with extenuating circumstances, such as losing their insurance due to loss of a job, an income change that would affect eligibility for financial help, getting married, divorced, having or adopting a baby or moving to an area with different health plan options. Enrollment for the Medi-Cal, the government insurance program for low-income Californians, is open year-round.

Those who miss the Monday deadline could lose the chance to get guaranteed coverage regardless of their health status and the chance to get subsidized coverage, Lee said today at a stop at the Covered California call center in Concord.

In addition, those who don’t sign up face an IRS fine that equals about one percent of their income. The penalties will continue to rise annually for those who continue to opt out of coverage.

To avoid those consequences, Lee said, consumers must undergo the simple process of starting an online application, which he said means filling out about two pages and pressing “save.”

He also encouraged Californians to get help filling out the application by calling a Covered California representative or clicking on “Find Help Near Me” on www.coveredca.com to make an appointment with a certified enrollment counselor or insurance agent that will see them through the application process.

“Many of them are pretty crowded right now, but now you can start your application and come back and finish it next week if you need to,” Lee said.

Uninsured Californians are also encouraged to go to one of the hundreds of enrollment events happening statewide over the next few days.

Enrollment fairs throughout the Bay Area include a Friday event at the Ambrose Community Center in Bay Point, and Saturday events at Concord’s Rainbow Community Center, at Laney College in Oakland and at the Serramonte Mall in Daly City.

Events can be found by clicking on “Events Near Me” on the Covered California website.

Lee credited the hundreds of customer service workers at the call centers in Concord, Rancho Cordova and Fresno for helping enroll more than 1 million Californians under the state-run marketplace.

Workers at the sprawling Concord center at 2500 Bates Ave. were busy in their cubicles on Thursday answering customers’ questions about their health insurance options.

One customer service agent, Concord resident Marty Wilson, said he’s fielded back-to-back calls since Covered California’s open enrollment period began last Oct. 1.

Since he started working at the center after its opening last July, Wilson said callers mostly ask either about the website or whether they’re eligible for healthcare under the Affordable Care Act.

He said he and almost all of his co-workers have had at least one caller who cried tears of joy after learning they would be insured.

“It’s pretty exciting when you hear someone who hasn’t had coverage for 10 years because they have preexisting conditions and you have the chance to help them,” Wilson said.

1 Needy March 27, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Ha! I called the “Help Line” and it said there was too high a call volume and disconnected.

2 @Needy, #1---------------have you never called anywhere else March 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM

and got that same message. I get it frequently when calling for info about air reservations. It happens a lot, everywhere. Just too many calls for the lines available. Too many people waiting ’till the last minute to sign up for medical care.

3 18,000 new irs agents March 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Do your own web search using words, Covered CA problems.
Page after page of results

4 Just wait March 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM

when your doctor with 2 years training decides you don’t deserve to live any longer because your just too old to treat. I wonder if anyone will rue the day they let this happen to all of us.

5 East Bay Babe March 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Don’t worry, it will be extended and extended again. No need to rush on this.

6 Elwood March 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I have heard some b******t in my time, but the apologists for Obamacare take the cake.

7 KenInConcord March 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM

This is a huge complex undertaking….. Any fool can get up and make wishful statements,

“This year our team will be #1!”
“This company will be the top in our market!”
“We will clean this city up!”
“Lets find a cure for this terrible illness!”

But there are very few people that actual can lead a company, community and get results. In the business world they are very well paid CEO’s and visionaries.

History has shown us a few great leaders that have ability to change the world they live in. Martin Luther King, Steve Jobs, Henry Ford, John F. Kennedy, Galileo Galilei , Benjamin Franklin, Ronald Regan.

At the moment we have a leader that has now idea what it takes to get it done, He has good ideas. The only difference between our President and the visionaries in the “Occupy tent encampments” is 17 billion or our dollars.

8 KenInConcord March 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Correction:
17 billion of our dollars!!

9 San Jose March 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I got signed up! I paid my premium. I’m so happy. I finally have insurance… What’s a deductible?

10 ohwrongacare March 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Thanks Obama for reducing my $5,000 Flexible Benefits Plan that I’ve enjoyed all of my working life for things that aren’t covered by medical insurance to $2,500.00 so you can push your crappy ohwrongacare. Medical care has gone down the sewer all ready and this will just finish the job. My company pays $400.00 a month for useless used car salesmen doctors that I refuse to see no matter how sick I am because I won’t wait in waiting room for 2 hours for so loser doctor that doesn’t believe in respecting the time of others. BOOOOOOO. Repeal this stupid program.

11 who? March 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Dont do it…….

12 Oz March 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM

run as fast as you can……………It’s a mess!

13 @4 March 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Don’t move to Oregon. They already are doing just that.

14 @10 March 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Wow mine has been ZERO for all my working career. Now I get $2500 isn’t that great!!!

15 ObamaCare Sucks!.............I hope it Fails and will get repealed March 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

16 Anon March 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

The open enrollment period will be extended for those with extenuating “circumstances,”

Like I have been high the last years or so & just heard about it….

17 Thanks Obama March 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I was upset to learn my current $267 a month plan was being canceled and the cheapest option on the exchange would cost my family $750 a month.

Obamacare is a nightmare for my family.

18 FoxFyre March 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM

So far the results of Obamacare for me and mine:

1. Our premiums have been increased by about 38%.

2. Our deductibles and copays have been roughy doubled.

3. Numerous things that were once covered no longer are. Absolutely nothing that wasn’t covered before has been added.

4. Because so many clinics, hospitals, and doctors offices are being forced to lay off staff, there is less sanitation, waits for service are far longer, and there is increased consolidation that is not to the patient’s advantage.

5. My hubbie’s doctor that he dearly loves is taking early retirement because he can no longer stomach the mountain of increased red tape, restrictions, and stupid rules imposed by Obamacare. And this is happening more and more.

6. And on top of the government website woes, there is this in the small print: privacy of personal and medical information cannot be guaranteed.

But this is the greatest thing to happen in America since sliced bread, yes?

19 J March 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Our son works p/t 30 hrs a week so his employer doesn’t need to offer benefits to their workers, a condition that existed before the ACA. He now qualified for insurance thru Covered CA because of Obamacare’s Medicare expansion. My wife and I still have the great health insurance we’ve had all our working lives, and we still have all our wonderful doctors.

Thank goodness for Obamacare.

20 concord March 27, 2014 at 8:27 PM

@14, maybe you need a decent employer.

21 KenInConcord March 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Teach a man to fish and he will feed his family for life……

Give a man someone else fish and he will vote for you!!!

22 Clayton Squirrel March 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Kaiser rocks!

23 Rick March 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I applied for it. I got covered almost immediately. Smooth operation all the way. I’m very happy.

24 Don't like Obummer Care Now? March 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Just wait a year or two when the rate increases kick in! That is, if it hasn’t been repealed by rational thinking voters.

25 @ Rick March 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM

You are in for a rude awakening! Let’s talk again when your un chosen random quack Doctor does not get paid and comes looking for you with all your claims! Have fun!

26 NotPC March 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM

My wifes (rather large) company dropped all coverages due to obamacare and told them they will cover the first $100 and we can cover the rest, just show the bill to HR. Her new plan (about the same as the old one) is about $580. Before this idiotic mandate, it was $190 (single). As a result of our Dear Leader caring so very much, we had to sell our mororbike to have enough to cover the excess for about 7 months. Don’t know what we can sell after that. Thanks obama.

27 @25 March 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM

It’s an insurace company you fool like Blue Cross

28 @27 March 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Sorry pal. For $267 a month you did not have health insurace for your entire family.

29 Anonymous March 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I got free stuff I love it.

30 @18 March 27, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Sanitation? Really?

31 Elwood March 27, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Aside from a few deluded fools, feel the love for Obamacare!

32 dinkydau March 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I’m glad I got medicar and part B, Blue Cross. For grins I entered my name, zip code and my income and I would be paying over $600 per month for myself!! I would ask for Fed assistance but according to my income I would be denied. Affordable???Not to me!! I would not sign up.
They say I have the income. I say I have bills to pay. Healthnet is one of the providers. I dropped Healthnet when my montly insurance was over $400 3yrs ago and went over $500 a month. They want a piece of the pie too!

33 KenInConcord March 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

The idea Government going to provide us with “Health Care” scares me. This is not a known or fixed product. It is not like the government is promising to provide me SALT. There are not to many variables with SALT. Only two options…. it’s there! or it’s not!

Unlike SALT the government is promising to provide healthcare, something that is very specific to my family and me. A product that has infinite number of variables.

What if the government promised to provide “Transportation”? Only after we relinquish control of our cars will we find out the specifics of their plan. Do you really want someone in Washington DC to decide the size of our car, the style, the color, 2 door or 4door or pick-up, air conditioned or not?

Even more concerning you are asking the Government to decide how much you to spend on this car, where you buy the car, the times the car is available to you, the distance you may drive every year, where you have to purchase your fuel, where you keep this car, to decide weather your family needs a second car ????? NO PROBLEM YOU THINK! I like the plan I get a price break! That will change in the years to come, In the market place NO competition there is only one direction the cost and service will go. I assure you cost will be Up and service Down!!

This assumes that you even ALLOWED a car. YOUR “Government Transportation Plan” might be Bikes, Buses, Trains,Taxis, ferry’s.

We would NEVER give up control of our cars to a Washington bureaucrat, I don’t understand how we can give up this freedom for something so much important than a car.

Ken D.

34 @dinkydau March 27, 2014 at 11:48 PM

You can thank us working folks for paying for your Medicare coverage. You’re welcome.

35 Jen March 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Some of you have really lousy employers. Our employer coverage went up a few bucks a month, just as it has every year for as long as I can remember. Co-pays and coverage remained about the same. I’m sure there were a few changes (there are every year), but nothing that jumped out at me. It’s the same great Kaiser coverage we’ve always had.

My daughter graduates from college this year. I hope she gets a job with insurance coverage. If she doesn’t, I’m very glad we’ll be able to keep her on our plan. Before Obamacare, we’d have had to pay for a separate plan for her after she graduates. Thanks, President Obama!

I have a friend who struggles to make ends meet. She hasn’t been able to afford insurance for many years. She was able to get subsidized coverage on the exchange. Yay!

36 Laura Zah March 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM
37 Chris March 28, 2014 at 5:44 AM

We are WAITIN for approval. And waiting. This has been a headache to say the least. But we need health coverage. Bad. Will be be approved? Waitign for the mail, everyday….

38 JRConcord March 28, 2014 at 6:50 AM

So many well thought out informative comments….NOT…
I am now insured. Yes I get some of my monthly premiums covered by a tax credit (given directly to Kaiser) . IT is not free health care, I pay plenty of taxes, and about 1/2 my premium for 2 people (dependent child).
Now if I get very sick or hurt Kaiser insurance hmo will pay for my hospital and care. NOT medic-Cal or medic- aid. I will not end up in a 100% government paid for situation like a county hospital, I will not have to go bankrupt to pay if I am hurt badly or very sick. I will be less of burden on society in the long run. For me Obama care is GREAT.

39 AGoodBadIdea March 28, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Obamacare is a good idea, but the impact of it is bad. What we didn’t need was health insurance, what we do need is healthcare. How is someone who is on unemployment or who has nothing suppose to afford health insurance? The premiums aren’t cheap. My friends own small businesses. Their insurance premium went up 100%. Their deducible was $1000 and it is now $6000. When they go to the pharmacy, nothing is covered, when they go to the Dr. nothing is covered. Their coverage is basically catastrophic coverage like it is now for so many others. I hear that premiums may go up even further and still nothing will be covered. Here we are being ordered to dump all of our cash into insurance. We will never see this cash. I agree that we ALL NEED HEALTH CARE, but NOT health insurance. When I was unemployed, I was on the cheapest health insurance I could find. If I am ever unemployed again, I will probably not be able to find health insurance that cheap — of course, it didn’t cover much, but it would be there in the even of a catastrophe just like what my friends have, but at a more affordable price. Instead, my entire unemployment check would probably be going to pay for insurance that I can’t afford and that will probably never benefit me. I can’t even imagine how anyone can afford this new mandate. Why not just tax us all an extra % to cover this. The insurance companies must be happy. Those that need healthcare, aren’t. This new thing benefits some, but not the masses. The masses are being penalized to benefit the few.

40 The Mamba March 28, 2014 at 7:11 AM

To those of you that are complaining about your monthly insurance bills going and deductibles going up (mine tripled and my deductible went up 150%), I was the same until I realized that this isn’t for us. This is redistribution of wealth run at us in a slightly different disguise, and there’s nothing we can do. Picture Pelosi and her plastic Joker like face marching up to sign the bill with her gavel when you are voting in midterms this year.

41 bigdaddy March 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM

peter lee is a moron. he already ran pac advantage into the ground a few years ago.

42 We’ve got you “covered California”. March 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

You have a target on your back.

And your friendly neighborhood IRS enforcers have lots of ammo.

2014: if you DON’T ENROLL, you will pay the IRS a tax of $95 or 1 percent of your income—whichever is greater.

2015: you pay $325, or 2 percent of your income—whichever is greater.

2016, it jumps to $695, or 2.5 percent of income—whichever is greater.

Kiss your freedom goodbye.

43 Anon Redux March 28, 2014 at 8:24 AM

One Doctor’s Viral Letter Exposes the Harrowing Reality of
Obamacare’s ‘War Against Doctors’

Some excerpts:

The medical profession has never before remotely approached today’s stress, work hours, wasted costs, decreased efficiency, and declining ability to focus on patient care.

In our community alone, at least 6 doctors have left patient care for administrative positions, to start a concierge practice, or retire altogether.

Doctors are smothered by destructive regulations that add costs, raise our overhead and ‘gum up the works,’ making patient treatment slower and less efficient, thus forcing doctors to focus on things other than patient care and reduce the number of patients we can help each day.

On behalf of the medical profession, I ask that Washington repeal the Affordable Care Act, and replace it with a better law written with the input of real doctors who will actually treat patients covered by it.

America has enjoyed the best health care the world has ever known. That health care is in jeopardy because physicians cannot survive Washington’s ‘war on doctors’ without relief.

Eventually the problems for doctors will become problems for patients, and we are all patients at some point.

44 Carol March 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Those of us in the middle class are still paying for the deadbeats . Before obama care we paid for them to go to the ER for free – now we’re subsidizing them to go to a doctors office. We pay for their kids’ food and diapers. We pay for losers to go to community college for free while my kids are up to their necks in student loans. I need a doctor because I’m sick of it!

45 Connie Dobbs March 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM

#42 There is no mechanism to collect the penalty if is not paid voluntarily. All the Fed can do is deduct it from your tax refund. If there is no refund there is no payment.

46 Doc Epharts March 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Sure it looks like a pile of crap, but it’s really ice cream!

47 How Much Does Obamacare Rip Off Young Adults? March 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM
48 @AnonRedux March 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Anon Redux, the doctor in the viral letter is complaining about insuance and managed care in general. He ought to join a practice like Kaiser. It would solve a lot of his problems with the business side of practice.

He needs to face the facts. The practice of medicine has changed. The days of Marcus Welby-type general practices where doctors practice out of their homes and treat patients for all ailments, including performing surgery, are long gone. Gone are the days of patients paying out of their own pockets. It’s all specialized care, computerized records, and managed care.

Of course there are docs who go the route your doctor is suggesting. They open concierge practices where they refuse to accept insurance and accept only fabulously wealthy patients who pay top dollar out of pocket for personalized service. That won’t work for most of us, though.

49 Obamacare is delusional March 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Anyone who thinks Obamacare is a good thing is fooling themselves. The recent website debacle is a microcosm of the “healthcare” you will receive.

Those that support it have zero understanding of human nature, the failings of socialism, marxism and the resulting totalitarianism. They have no knowledge of world history. If they did, they would not embrace Obamacare nor would they allow our current President to occupy the White House. They would oust Miller, Pelosi, Feinstein, Bonilla and DeSaulnier to name a few. (No, I’m NOT a Republican)

As long as we continue to steer away from the moral compass of Christianity (no, I’m not a bible thumper either) we will eventually face the horrific realities of socialism, etc.

Our country became great because of these values. We are going by way of the Romans and that is certain death for our free society, the ONLY one in human history founded on the principle of individual rights, not privilege. Did you know that ?

Like it or not folks, either wake up or suffer the consequences. Those of you that understand this know what I’m talking about. It’s pretty scary to think of the big picture sometimes, but that’s reality.

The rest of you are delusional. Face reality today. Read. Learn world history, or suffer the consequences tomorrow. It’s your choice.

For those of you who want to educate yourselves on the subject, read on……

Ayn Rand…
Excerpt from Bio – “During her high school years, she was eyewitness to both the Kerensky Revolution, which she supported, and—in 1917—the Bolshevik Revolution, which she denounced from the outset. In order to escape the fighting, her family went to the Crimea, where she finished high school. The final Communist victory brought the confiscation of her father’s pharmacy and periods of near-starvation. When introduced to American history in her last year of high school, she immediately took America as her model of what a nation of free men could be.
The United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world.”

From aynrandlexicon.com…
“Since the golden age of Greece, there has been only one era of reason in twenty-three centuries of Western philosophy. During the final decades of that era, the United States of America was created as an independent nation. This is the key to the country—to its nature, its development, and its uniqueness: the United States is the nation of the Enlightenment.”

“America’s founding ideal was the principle of individual rights. Nothing more—and nothing less. The rest—everything that America achieved, everything she became, everything “noble and just,” and heroic, and great, and unprecedented in human history—was the logical consequence of fidelity to that one principle. The first consequence was the principle of political freedom, i.e., an individual’s freedom from physical compulsion, coercion or interference by the government. The next was the economic implementation of political freedom: the system of capitalism.”

To read more…..click here http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/america.html

50 mtzman March 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

@Obamacare is delusional #49, interesting that you would hold up Ayn Rand as exemplifying the moral compass of Christianity. Say what you will about her philosophy, but she was a long-time drug addict that caused violent mood swings, had a long-term extramarital affair, was pro choice, opposed the Vietnam War and advocated the repeal of all laws against homosexuality. In the real world that is not as black and white as the one you live in, we must all content ourselves with various shades of gray …

51 mtzman March 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM

@Connie Dobbs #45, so if I file my tax return and it shows that I owe money, the government has no means to collect it unless I voluntarily pay it?

52 Sid March 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM

What a load of crap, #49. Our nation is the only one in history founded on the principle of individual rights instead of privilege??? It was founded on the notion of rights for SOME people, not ALL people. You are conveniently forgetting about our history of slavery. You are forgetting about our history of denying legal rights, including the right to vote, to women. You are forgetting about our horrible treatment of Native Americans.

Look around the world today. You have to be dumb and blind not to realize that there are many other countries not governed by the principle of inherited rights of privilege. You also have to incredibly ignorant of American history not to realize that we the people, through our government, have a long history of collecting taxes in various ways and using that to support the less fortunate, including the poor, the elderly, and veterans. We the people have a long history of banding together through our government to provide vital services we all need such as fire protection, military protection, even protection from crooked shopkeepers. Banding together through our government to ensure that we all can get access to health insurance is well within our Christian traditions of caring for those around us, our political traditions of enacting laws through the votes of our elected legislatures, our belief in free enterprise, and our belief in individual responsibility.

You do realize that Obama care is based on the principles of free enterprise? It is based on private companies competing for your business. It is also based on the notion of individual responsibility. Each of us need to purchase insurance so we’re not freeloading off of other people when we show up in the emergency room without insurance or the money to pay the bill.

53 KaL March 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM

ACA = Affordable Care Act
Affordable – Not for most of us. My premiums for the family almost doubled this year and are going up set to increase, at least, another 50% for 2015.
Care- Doubtful as the majority of Doctors I’ve talked to won’t be able to stay in practice because the repay structure and added paperwork required under the plan is ridiculous. Their words not mine.
Act – Lots of that going around. Too bad there is little ACTion.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I am the great and powerful Obama!

54 RANDOM TASK March 28, 2014 at 12:26 PM

wait a year and see ……..outlook not good

55 Connie Dobbs March 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM

#51,The Shared Responsibility Payment is not a tax, remember?

56 @53 March 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

If your premiums doubled you didn’t have good insurance, you had junk insurance that insurance companies pushed to increase revenue. Now you’re paying for coverage that the average citizen has and paying the going rate. Who’s your carrier? Look to them and compare your old police with your new.

57 Jess March 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Mtzman, if you owe the penalty for not getting insurance, the government will withhold it from your refund check. If you aren’t getting a refund and don’t pay the penalty, the government cannot impose any liens or criminal penalties for not paying. However, they will keep track of the fact that you didn’t pay. They will deduct it from any future refund you get along with 3% interest.

58 @56 March 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Well, mine didn’t double, but it went up 40% and I assure you my plan was comprehensive. It is the same Kaiser plan most people have. Everything covered with a $10 co-pay, except now 40% more. As if it wasn’t already expensive enough. Thanks Obama, you jerk.

59 @56 March 28, 2014 at 3:41 PM

#56, KaL @53 is one of those posters who makes up stuff about Obamacare because the truth is that it hardly affects him at all. Notice he included zero identifiable details about his insurance or doctors. He’s just repeating right-wing talking points. Chances are his premium went up a little bit, just like it did last year and the year before and the year before. Doubled? Probably not. There’s no way he could know what his premium will be in 2015 because rates haven’t been set yet. All the doctors he’s talked to are retiring? Oh come on. None of mine are retiring. How about yours? They’re retiring because of the “repay structure”? Really? Obamacare is private insurance offered through private insurance companies. There is no set repay structure. It will vary from company to company. All that extra paperwork? Most doctors in CA are already part of HMO and PPO networks so they are used to the paperwork. Quite a sizable percentage are part of Kaiser, so that “added paperwork” is already part of their computer system.

60 @58 March 28, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Kaiser with a $10 co-pay for everything? I’m jealous! I have what I think is excellent Kaiser coverage through a large employer. Our co-pays are higher than that. More like $25-30, plus several hundred for a hospitalization. Our premiums went up about $25/month. They’ve gone up about that amount every year since well before Obamacare. I know that $30 was the total amount of increase for our coverage because my employer did not increase the amount it was willing to pay for insurance this year. Employees picked up the entire increase. I’m old enough to remember when employees didn’t have to pay any monthly premium. Employers picked up the entire cost. But that was a long time ago.

Did you look into getting a plan with higher co-pays?

61 Anonymous March 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM

What??? Your Kaiser premiums went up $25-30/month??? My Kaiser premiums through CalPers have gone up $100-150/month for the last 5-6 years. I would have loved an increase of only $30/month!

62 @ Mtzman 50 March 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I never said she was a Christian. We all know she wasn’t. Her point was that America was found on the greatest principles ever. She was a philosopher and studied history and new that we created greatest country the world has ever seen. Not perfect. Just the best.

As we go down immorality road, so goes our country.

63 @ Sid 52 March 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Our country’s founding wasn’t perfect and those that believed in individual rights fought to end slavery and rightly so.

Saying Obamacare has anything to do with free enterprise shows your total ignorance.

64 CW March 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM

We had the misfortune of having to deal with Covered California when my husband was briefly between positions. He started his new job on Wednesday so I’ve been trying to cancel our Covered CA policy. Couldn’t do it online because it wasn’t 14 days before April 1st. Kaiser couldn’t do it for us and told us that if Covered CA didn’t disenroll us, we would be on the hook for the April premium. I spent all day trying to get through on the 800 number and kept getting disconnected. Called up the state health insurance consumer hotline to complain and was told that there was no way to formally complain about Covered CA except to that agency but was given a different number to call than the main Covered CA one.

Finally got through on that number and spent 1 hr. 22 min. on hold. A customer service rep did eventually come on the line and said she cancelled the policy for us. I wrote down the confirmation number so if April 1st comes without it actually being cancelled, I’m going to raise a big stink about it.

65 "Scary"-care March 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM

obamacare is crap. plain and simple. the fact that anyone can be “shut out” of getting healthcare assuming that they don’t meet the March 31 or April 7th deadline shows how pathetic the program is in itself. And if you do miss these deadlines, you can’t enroll until November???? BS

I think most americans (with the exception of the poor, who don’t work) are better off just not signing up for this crap and saving their money. The fact is that if you do sign up for this fraud of a program, you will ending paying much more in premiums than you ever have before for crap healthcare. just roll the dice and don’t get covered. save your money instead for something more important. like clothes or shoes.

Furthermore, i think the greater lesson here is for young people: just because you get a degree from Harvard, doesn’t mean it is worth anything more than toilet paper to wipe your behind with.