Bonilla’s Assembly Bill 1838, Accelerated Medical Degrees, One Step Closer to Acceptance

March 27, 2014 · 29 comments

bonilla

The following information was provided by the Office of California State Assemblywoman Susan Bonilla (D-Concord):

Assemblywoman Susan Bonilla continues to forge a pathway for more California physicians with Assembly Bill 1838, which was unanimously approved by the Assembly Business, Professions and Consumer Protection Committee.

AB 1838 allows graduates of accelerated and fully accredited medical education programs to become licensed physicians.

Current California law only allows a physician to be licensed after they complete a four year medical degree. With the extreme shortage of physicians and the increasing amounts of medical student debt, accelerated programs are an innovative and efficient response to both of these issues, without having negative effects on physician training and education.

“Not only do accelerated programs attend to the clear need for more California physicians and reducing student debt, but most importantly they do so without affecting the quality of health care that physicians will provide,” said Assemblywoman Bonilla.

1 Marissa March 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM

ok, I’m going to medical school. I will be a fully accredited MD in two years under this program.

2 Walnut Creek Resident March 27, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Fabulous idea!

3 Anonymous March 27, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Lordy, this woman is going to decrease the quality of life for everyone before she is done.

She ought to stick to voting for things like boys in girls restrooms. Oh wait, she already addressed that pressing need.

4 Chronic Halitosis March 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I think if the medical industry utilized a video conferencing system between the SSN holder and dependents households more cases could be processed without the need to leave the home. The appointment would be recorded and available for viewing by other doctors whom could contribute. I have done 2 medical appointments utilizing video conferencing and I feel they have work very well. I feel the same could be done for the local courts. Panels of random experts. Not just the good old boy’s buddy judge. Home monitoring. No parking congestion. DMV also could benefit from this technology.

5 Pegasus March 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM

This woman is a danger to society..

6 Laura Zah March 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Let’s just do the courses by mail or on the internet & FAST! We don’t have many doctors left who are willing to work with this Obamacare cluster flop.

7 Doc Martin March 27, 2014 at 9:53 AM

How else are we going to replace all the doctors who are retiring because they don’t like Obamacare? It doesn’t matter if the replacements are any good. We just need bodies.

8 My first thought is March 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM

will people who graduate under the accelerated program be as well educated and disciplined as doctors from the four year program.

If perhaps not, will people be able to discern between four and two year doctors?

In my experience, shortcuts are not always the best solution. I fear inadequately trained doctors.

9 Anonymous March 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM

She needs to worry. Obama care is causing lots of doctors to retire sooner. She ,of course, is a big supporter of Obamacare and is trying desperatly to justify her existence in politics. Looked upon by insiders as a light weight.

10 Freedom of choice March 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Let’s dumb down our doctors and import doctors from other nations. That sounds pretty good to ol” Bonilla. Can we stop this woman pls

11 Nuttsie the Nutter March 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Laura Zah and Doc Martin; could you please provide hard evidence of your statements that there are not many doctors left because of Obamacare. So far, every doctor I have gone to is still practicing and has no intention of retiring any sooner than they had previously planned. These “facts” couldn’t possibly be more Fox News propaganda that you have hears over and over so they must be true.

12 Monty Ablow March 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I suppose at some point, doctors will not be allowed to disclose thier education because, personally, I will avoid seeing a doctor that gets their medical degree from a matchbook cover.

13 just a concordian March 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I have lots of experience with WebMD.com and can diagnose conditions pretty quick. Why do I need to do a course? Oh right, to cut people open… But I’ve got all of Dexter seasons under my belt as well, not to mention a bunch of other “cut ‘em up” movies such as the Hostel series. Human Centipede is next, but that’s for advanced experimental surgery. I say screw the accelerated course. Sign me up for the licensing exam and I can start treating your sick relatives as early as tomorrow morning.

14 anon March 27, 2014 at 11:03 AM

If the kids are so smart let them graduate from high school two years early, but complete medical school as it now required.

15 ClayDen March 27, 2014 at 11:08 AM

It seems to me that as medical knowledge is growing, so there is more to learn, we shouldn’t be reducing the time for doctors to learn.

16 @Nutsie the Nutsack March 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM

My doctor just retired at age 52 for exactly that reason. That’s all the proof I nee.

17 @Nutsie the Nutsack March 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM

need

18 BagsFlyFree March 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM

This is another bill that highlights logic that is questionable at best. What is considered the most esteemed profession by many, physicians need to be well groomed and have adequate time spent learning/living their profession. I understand a gradual tapering of portions of the process; however halving the time is extreme without an appropriate peer review process for all high risk decisions until the two year period has elapsed.

BFF Out!

19 Atticus Thraxx March 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM

No way this becomes law.

20 mutts March 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I’ve already had 4 drs. retire due to “health_. Probably not theirs. The fourth took a teaching position. They saw the waiting on the wall.

21 Dr. Welby March 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I didn’t go to a four year school, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express!!

22 Anon March 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM

The first doctor to graduate under her new plan should be assigned as her new doctor. Take that step and I am all good with this plan.

23 Lower Standard March 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM

That’s great. Just like Common Core. Good job. “Everybody’s a winner.” Susan, listen carefully. WE WANT FEWER LAWS NOT MORE. Quit “fixing” everything. It’s killing us. Leave us the hell alone.

24 18,000 new irs agents March 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM

“Incorrect, missed or delayed diagnoses accounted for 29 percent of successful malpractice claims. They accounted for 35 percent of the total amount of money paid out and caused 39 percent of malpractice-related deaths. “Diagnostic errors are the most common, the most costly and the most deadly of all medical errors,” ”

By the way this is not a new idea, democrats are blind panic desperate and trying ANYTHING they can think of to get themselves out of a problem THEY Created.
‘ Obamacare has doctors planning exit 60% say many physicians will retire from medicine early within next 3 years ‘
‘ California Seeks to Address Doctor Shortage With Nurse Practitioners ‘
“This is so poorly designed that a lot of doctors are afraid to participate,”
‘ Doctors boycotting California’s Obamacare exchange ‘

‘ Doctor Posts Newspaper Notice: Closing Due to Obamacare ‘

25 Eddie Spaghetti March 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Is that what you want?………a doctor that got his degree in the Express Lane??

26 . March 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Bonilla is dangerous…..very dangerous. She need to be voted out/recalled now. She has NO concept of what’s at stake,.

27 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM

2 Years? I knocked it out in 6 weeks! The diploma is in Spanish (or Portuguese… I can’t tell the difference) but nobody really reads it anyway. Beautiful beaches on St. Kitts, bring your surfboard!

28 Libby Rahl March 28, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Obamacare is the law of the land.
Now try to find a doctor that will accept it.

29 Bill P March 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Another great Liberal idea.
Let her be the first operation under her plan. Not a brain operation, that cannot be fixed by any doctor. The more they live the more bad ideas they have. I want my America back.