Claycordians Urged to Assess Diabetes Risk Today by Taking Questionnaire

March 25, 2014 · 10 comments

Claycordians are encouraged to find out if they are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes by taking a 60-second questionnaire today for the American Diabetes Association’s annual “wake-up call” Alert Day.

One in three Americans have pre-diabetes, making them at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, but studies have shown the disease can be prevented or delayed through exercise, healthy diet and losing weight.

The Diabetes Risk Test is a short assessment that identifies whether a person has risk factors for type 2 diabetes.

The risk test is available for free in English and Spanish at diabetes.org/risktest, by calling 1-800-DIABETES or by asking a Walgreens pharmacist.

Boar’s Head Brand will donate five dollars for every test taken between March 25 and April 25 to the American Diabetes Association, up to $50,000.

Nearly 26 million Americans have diabetes, and 79 million have prediabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association.

People who are overweight, sedentary, over 45 and have a family history of diabetes are most at risk for developing the disease, according to the American Diabetes Association.

People from certain ethnic groups, including African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, also face an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association.

1 Rose Garden March 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM

This is an epidemic.

I’m not at risk. My height and weight are in proportion, I’ve always worked out at the gym, it doesn’t run in my family, and I’m Caucasian.

But I’m still concerned about getting it one day. Being at risk is a greater concern, but people who aren’t at risk should be concerned as well, and stay on the right track!

2 Karl Hungus March 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I scored a 3. Woohoo! All I have to do is lose like 5 pounds and I’ll score a 2. Can’t change my age or gender so that’s is low as it’s gonna get.

3 typical concord resident March 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Just another excuse to RAISE OUR TAXES… liberals are always trying to tell us that ice cream and soda and cheese whiz and cigarettes are bad because they want to CONTROL us… WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!!

4 Kerri H March 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for this info, I took the test & like the results. I really appreciate the education!

5 Steve Jobson March 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I’ll run the assessment after I’ve had my lunch comprised of:

4 krispy kreme donuts
2 hostess twinkies
1 can of Coke

6 Nee' March 25, 2014 at 4:20 PM

@3. Sounds like another tea party a–hole!!!

7 mad mom March 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I’m a 2 because I’m over 50. I can live with that!

8 ChampagneKitty March 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I don’t need to assess my risk; I already have it.

9 Antler March 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Almost two years ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2… borderline blood glucose levels. Cut out most white foods, including my habitual dessert …… vanilla ice cream with hot fudge sauce. Then took the year-long educational and weight-loss program supervised by MDs and RNs at John Muir Medical Center’s (Walnut Creek Campus) Diabetes Center. And now the disease….though I will always HAVE it….is under control with diet and exercise (no RXs required, but regular lancet and meter reading practiced at home).

10 Eudamonia March 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Taxes are not the issue. A healthy community costs a lot less than one riddled with disease (diabetes, hypertension, heart and lung disease).