Claycordians Shave Heads in Support of Concord Police Officer Who’s Battling Breast Cancer

March 24, 2014 16:41 pm · 28 comments

cancer_shaved_heads

Several Claycordians, along with the friends, family & co-workers of Concord Police Officer Michele Ligouri shaved their heads today in support of Ligouri, who is currently battling breast cancer.

The fundraising event was held at Lenny’s Salon in Clayton. Lenny’s provided free hair shaving, and collected donations, which will be given to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Thanks to GoGo Gomez for the picture of “Babs” on the left and Concord City Councilman Edi Birsan on the right, who both showed up to shave their heads in support of Ligouri.

RELATED STORY: Concord Police Association Invites Residents to “Shave Their Heads” in Honor of Officer’s Struggle to Survive Breast Cancer

{ 28 comments }

1 Hope you get well soon March 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

2 Mustang Sally March 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM

You guys look fantastic!!

3 Rose Garden March 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM

It nice to read this event was successful. God bless Officer Ligouri as well as her supporters….

4 EdiBirsan March 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

It has been 32 years since I have seen my chin….

5 Carl March 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

It would be interesting to see which officers shaved their heads.

6 EdiBirsan March 24, 2014 at 6:12 PM

There were a bunch of officers there giving full support both under the clippers as well as general Rah Rah. Great effort and camaraderie.

7 Atticus Thraxx March 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM

What a sweet,kind gesture. Babs and Edi grade A Claycordians!

8 Horse n around March 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM

It was nice to see so many people there to support Michelle. She was there and looked as beautiful as ever. Both my husband and son shaved their heads in support. And a big shout out to Lenny’s. Such a nice group of people. I’ve never been there before, but I think I’m going to give them a try.

9 Any other Councilcritters there, besides Edi? March 24, 2014 at 8:57 PM

10 Cat Wrangler March 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM

What a wonderful way to support and encourage the truly brave and heroic Officer Ligouri. God bless her and help her with a speedy recovery!

11 Cowellian March 25, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Nice!

12 Mustang Sally March 25, 2014 at 6:39 AM

I’m really sorry I couldn’t make it, I had long standing health appointments in another county during this event. Any chance of another future date?

13 Shasta Daisy March 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM

We need to find the cure.

14 I would have loved to have March 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM

been there. Wife refuses to let me shave my head again. Scared the crap out of her when I walked in with no hair one day. I’ll make a donation.

15 Spring Tomato March 25, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Kudos to both of you. Edi, I don’t always agree with your viewpoints, but you have my vote.

16 BCuzItzClaycord March 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM

To answer your question #9 probably none. The others are too busy trying to be big time politicians. Edi is the only one who truly give a crap about Concord. I can give Helix a pass as he is really old but the other 3????? Useless as tits on a Boar.

17 Cuzzzzzz.......... March 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Kudos to Edi and “Babs”………What a great thing to do.
Edi – your support of the community is incredible. Just wish the other on the “council” cared as much as you do. Nothing seems “too small” for your time. You sir are one in a million

18 Why give Helix a pass because he is old? March 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Is he too old to drive a car safely in order to get there? Too old to be aware of what is going on around him? Too old & grumpy to care? Then why is he still on the Council?

19 @ #18 March 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Helix will be gone soon. He will not run again and is not looking to get into a higher office. At this point Helix is what is called in the political world a “non-event”. Leone & Grayson are looking at higher offices and Hoffmeister has been on the council forever and thinks she will be there until the cows come home. These 3 are great for photo ops etc when that is all the need to do….show up, speak a minute or 2, shake a couple of hands and have a picture taken. Edi, on the other hand. gets out there, walks with the people in the neighborhoods to assess what needs to be done, gets his hands dirty and shaves his head when needs be. Leone, Grayson and to some extent Hoffmeister are “only ” politicians, Edi is a true public servant. And yes there is a difference.

20 Give credit where credit is due March 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Anyone who’s aware of Concord’s history knows how much Dan Helix and Laura Hoffmeister (a lifelong resident) have done for Concord.

You’re aware of Edi because he blogs on Claycord. (Edi does do an excellent job.)

Get out and volunteer in the community, and perhaps you’ll know what you’re talking about!

21 @ 20 March 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I do volunteer. I am a member of the Detroit Ave Stret Improvement and Monument Partnership. I am also a member of the County Agency of Aging. So I do much more than mere Concord.

I can’t say much about Mr Helix as most of what he did was before I came to Concord but in almost 15 years I haven’t seen Ms Hoffmeister do much. Certainly not get her hands dirty thats for sure. Actually the times I have been to city council (about 10-12 times a year) she can be extremely rude/condiscending to speakers from the audience.

And you volunteer where???? And attend how many city council meetings annually????

22 CLAYCORD.com March 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Can somebody please tell me how this started as a conversation about a lovely woman with cancer and her supporters shaving their heads and turned into a conversation about who volunteers for what?

23 Mr. Mayor March 25, 2014 at 1:25 PM

that’s Claycord for you. A thread can turn on a dime.

24 Horse n around March 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Thank you Mr. Mayor for bringing that up. I was thinking the same thing.

25 Dom March 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Let’s get back to matters….Officer Ligouri is probably the most attractive woman I’ve ever seen…her bald head makes her even hotter!

I heard that event was pretty busy…where are more pictures?

26 Michelle March 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM

kudos to the officers that shaved their heads and prayers to Officer Ligouri

27 . March 25, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Thank you Mr Mayor for getting the discussion back on track!

28 caskydiver March 25, 2014 at 10:41 PM

See the story above this one where a 9 yr old girl in Colorado got suspended from school for shaving her head in solidarity w/ her friend with cancer because it was against the school dress code.

Maybe the Concord city council members should be censured because they shaved their heads (being sarcastic here to show how stupidly the school treated that little girl)?