Play Ball! Clayton Valley Little League’s Season is Officially Underway

March 23, 2014 17:45 pm · 19 comments

cvll

On Sunday morning, Clayton Valley Little League held their opening ceremonies in the basketball gym at Clayton Valley Charter High School.

About 1,500 people packed into the gym for the ceremonies, which included the National Anthem, the Little League Pledge and the ceremonial first pitch for baseball & softball!

Established in 1964, Clayton Valley Little League is a nonprofit all-volunteer organization chartered by Little League Baseball. They provide baseball programs for kids ages 4 to 15, softball for girls ages 6 to 15, and a Challenger Division for players with physical and mental special needs.

Good luck to the 689 players this year, and most importantly, have fun!

Thanks to Bill Martin for the picture!

photo credit: Bill Martin

1 Vindex March 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM

What time Sunday morning?

2 Pale rider March 23, 2014 at 6:53 PM

The Dodgers will win the West!

3 Didn't this school deny use of their field to the Little League? March 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

If so, I don’t recall seeing anything pertaining to a change of policy.

4 ProudMama March 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Here’s to a great season!

5 Charlene Fierros March 24, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Go Pirates!!!!! #JacobTellez #9

6 Princess March 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Clayton Valley Charter High school, as a parent I am so thankful to all the staff. My kid graduated last year and I highly recommend this school.

7 fitgirl March 24, 2014 at 8:17 AM

CVCHS Awesome school! Awesome staff!

8 Rollo Tomasi March 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM

@ #3:

Yes. As you should be able to plainly see, this isn’t taking place on the fields.

As far as the decision regarding the fields, there is now more to the story that nobody is talking about.

9 Steve March 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Anyone know what the birthdate cutoff is for each league? Like if you are born after August 1st, you’re in the lower league …

10 iwasthere March 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Rollo, opening ceremonies never take or never took place on the fields. Always in the gym.

11 MamaP March 24, 2014 at 11:19 AM

@iwasthere. I was secretary for 8 years in a row-very few were ever held inside in the gym….only if it rained.

12 Anon March 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM

We were there for only 3 years from 2006-2009 and it was in the gym each time.

@ Rollo, I’m curious what else is going on. Can you elaborate?

13 Inside Info March 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Fields are supposed to be being shut down to accomodate the growth plan at CVCHS, but now plans are on hold due to the possible effects it could have on the football team, meaning they would have to play up a division. So now the fields may still be available to the teams long term

14 iwasthere March 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM

weird, because I Managed & coached from Peanuts thru Majors, and it seems like it was in there every year, but maybe the Alzheimers is setting in.

15 MamaP March 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I was there for over 15 years…only held in gym once. They don’t want to get their floors scraped up with cleats. Only one rain out-held in gym in 15 years.

I worked on the balloon arch over the track outside each year but one.

16 iwasthere March 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I only recall one opening ceremony on the track. Started coaching around 2005, I think. I remember the gym, no cleats allowed, not that any of this matters. Only thing that matters is the kids have a fun season, get lots of playing time, and have more fun!!

17 Rollo Tomasi March 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I’ve had a child in the league the last five years, and every opening ceremony has been held in the CVCHS gym.

@iwasthere: my first comment was directed at #3, who seems to believe the field issues also precluded use of the gym for this ceremony.

@MamaP: the kids have no use for cleats at opening ceremonies, therefore cleats are not allowed.

18 Rollo Tomasi March 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM

@Anon #12:

CVLL will use one of the fields this season after all. Between hassles with the high school softball team disregarding CVLL’s use permit and Title IX issues, CVLL will go forward without using the other two fields. New permanent fields for the league are in the works.

19 MamaP March 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Kids who wore their cleats on the once in 15 years in the gym were asked to remove them. They had games after the ceremonies. Just because they weren’t supposed to wear them didn’t mean they obeyed…Once in 15 years.