More “Quiet Knocks” Reported off Pine Hollow Rd. in Concord

March 23, 2014 · 39 comments

A couple of weeks ago we told you that a few residents in the Rolling Woods neighborhood (and surrounding areas) in Concord were hearing quiet knocks on their front doors between the hours of midnight and 5am.

In a few of the cases, the knocks were followed up with a rattle of the door handle, apparently to see if the door was unlocked.

Another possible attempted break-in was reported this morning. The resident says just after midnight, she heard what sounded like a knock, which, like before, was followed up with what sounded like somebody trying to open the door.

She looked out the window a few seconds later but didn’t see anybody.

Remember, lock your windows & doors at night.

1 Miss Diagnosis March 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Sounds like a ghost if you ask me!

2 Andy March 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

It’s just Barney making his rounds & checking the locks.

3 Sherlock March 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Having just earned my junior detective badge, I’d say this sounds homegrown, possibly a splinter faction of the Crystyl Ranch Mob. This sounds too clumsy for a respectable cat burglar, especially after it was just all over Claycord. I’d profile the Young, the Rich, and the Bored.

4 I'm telling you March 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM

It’s not a ghost, it happened to me as well.
What’s so surprising is they go so fast, I was up in a second and they were gone.
This wasn’t last night it was about a month ago in another area.

5 Silva March 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Probably teenagers trying to be humorous in their way.

6 I'm just sayin March 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Certain skin tones are hard to see at night. And lord knows a lot of those folks are coming here from Oakland instead of passing through to Pittsburg.

7 That one guy March 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Isn’t it obvious…..Bigfoot!

8 Walnut Creek Resident March 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Creepy and scary too!! Get your surveillance cameras fired up! Would love a photo of this nut or nuts.

9 Steve H. March 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM

My take; someone ticked off another person with the emotional maturity of an 8 year old. Or there’s a jokester(s) with that same level of emotional maturity.

10 Rose Garden March 23, 2014 at 11:29 AM

It could be something as simple as teenagers playing games. If they’re rattling the door, they could be playing games or trying to break in.

I hope the neighbors are safe, and perhaps someone with a camera will catch them.

If I lived in the neighborhood, I would request extra patrol.

11 Acorn March 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Squirrels are getting pretty agressiive these day.
Hope the Police are cruising through this neighborhood after hearing this.
Try to get light sensors and a big Beware of Dog sign. Have the hose ready !Squirrels hate that!

12 My Two Cents March 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM

they come in my house and they’ll learn a quick and last lesson….Love my shotgun and dog!! I’ll protect my house and family to the death….so they better think twice about breaking into my house…it’ll be their last time they break into anything!!

13 Mee March 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Yep. These can happen to Anyone. And are at random. NOT because someone asked for it because they know the wrong kind of people or posted something on FB. Give me a break. So many times people will assume the victims must have known the persons. And blame them. Because it doesn’t happen to them. Well it could, just give it time. It is getting crazy out there. Again I would strongly suggest motion detector lights, neighborhood watches, and locking your doors. I have a coupel alarms, motion lights , know all our neighbors and have two heavy duty swing locks on both our doors. Short of a battering ram, you cannot get through them. No way. We are not paranoid, but after what happened, which was a knock like a friend would do, at 1 AM, and the guy trying to get me to open the door, then actually trying to break in, and do who knows what, I am taking some steps to make us a harder target. If someone does this, call 911 right away. Hopefully we will catch these people. But this seems to be a common thing going on by people who want in to probably hold you at gun point and rob you blind, or worse. I hope they get caught Quick. Or someone takes care of them. Sure as hell woke me up when this happened a few months ago, which I was blamed for. You cannot Cure ignorance I guess.

14 First of all March 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM

A quite knock on the door would not wake me. But it might wake the dog and that would wake me, already in a bad mood.

If the knock did not wake either me or the dog, opening the door would set off the alarm and that for sure would wake be in a bad mood.

If some clown decided he could ignore the alarm and enter my home, with the dog barking and alarm sounding, then he deserves whatever may happen next.

15 Marissa March 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Yep, extra patrols never hurt. I wouldn’t want this at my door.

16 Marissa March 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM

@I’m just saying,
It’s probably local folks who know the area.

17 Rose Garden March 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Our daughter lives out that way, so I googled “door knock burglaries.”

There has been a rash of them in the Bay Area in 2013-2014. Was reading about them in Houston as well.

Perhaps the latest way to burglarize a home?

Stay safe everyone……

18 Incognito March 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I’ve had solicitors knock and then try the door knob. Pretty ballsy in my opinion. Just a caution to those who are doing this…… you never know what you may encounter on the other side of that door. Just sayin…

19 Mapturtle March 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM

@ #6 really? How do you mean? I lived in Oakland and currently live in Pittsburg, and I took that as a socioeconomic or ethnic based statement. I’m a white male with an income over 150k and I have never tested door handles as I pass through concord late at night. Don’t hide your racial profiling, say what you mean. Don’t try to make my city look bad because of a problem in yours!

20 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Probably more than one… knockers are usually found in pairs.

21 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM

And they were jiggling the door handles? It could be a pair of jiggling knockers!

22 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Probably not small kids doing this so late at night, probably a couple of big kids! A pair of BIG….. ah forget it.

23 lucy March 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Get your guns ready people……….

24 Anon March 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I bet they had accordion music playing in their getaway car.

25 Shelly March 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

@6; yeah, ‘cuz everybody knows all white people are pure as the driven snow!

26 Cat Wrangler March 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

What is it that the doorknocker seeks to accomplish by knocking quietly? Not awaking someone inside the home as they unlawfully enter through an unlocked door? They could do that without knocking softly. Awaken a loud, barking dog that will result in awaking residents and neighbors and calling attention to their unlawful presence and outdoor lights being turned on and police being called? It just doesn’t make sense.

When we first read the original stories it was unsettling. Now it seems just bizare.

27 Old SNL Fan March 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Land Shark.

28 dilligafman March 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Knock-knock,jiggle-jiggle,hey come on in. “MEET MY LEETLE FRIEND”!!!

29 M March 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Once it happens to you, you’ll take it serious. My suggestion is to have a plan before it happens to you. I have CPD on speed dial for emergencies, and when it happened to me, they responded quickly and did a search of the area. Even through they didn’t find anyone, they said not to hesitate to call if it happens again. This is a problem in the area, and if you feel threatened, or unsafe, make a call to the police and notify your neighbors. Thank you Concord PD for your response when it happened to me.

30 foxylady March 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM

@ #26
The knocker seeks to discover if the homeowner has a dog or not. That is my guess.

31 The Mamba March 24, 2014 at 7:18 AM

This freaks me out because I typically go to bed before 9 pm because of the hours I keep. I’d never hear a quiet knock, but then again my dogs probably would and things would go south very quickly for these guys.

32 Anon March 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I highly recommend these outdoor alarm sensors to put around your home. It is a really affordable solution for many. You can set the chime two settings, a medium one and a loud one that the person outside would hear and be startled by. You can set them up for side gates, entry path to front door, driveway. You can use the 25% off coupon on them too. http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html#.UzBdwF6YGMI

33 Nikki P March 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I just want to say after reading these comments, I live in this neighborhood and most of the crime is by the skin tones that can clearly be seen at night. Do the math…..talk to the police. Stolen tools, bikes…etc are all the things that can be easily sold for drugs. As for the ATM, whoever did it knows the store and know that cameras are of poor quality which is why they couldn’t get a clear look at the plates. Anyway…my heart goes out to Kumar, glad everyone’s safe.

34 I wish March 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Wish there was a door that, when knocked on, would set off a recording of a large dog barking! I don’t have a dog, can’t afford one, but would like to pretend, just to intimidate the riff raff!!

35 Vandy March 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

It is certainly more alarming to me to hear community members worried about skin tones than to hear stories about potential burglars. We live in a diverse community surrounded by other diverse communities. Pointing the finger at anyone based on the color of their skin is simply wrong.

36 Connie Dobbs March 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM

#34 You’re thinking of a motion-sensitive alarm. There has to be one with a recording of a barking dog. To the internets!!

37 Change those locks March 24, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Now would be a good time for the local residents to change their locks. Also, chain your gates to prevent these perps from gaining access to the backyard. (Most break-ins occur from the backyard, since many people forget to lock their backyard doors)

Also, beware of the suspicious people loitering around your neighborhood going door to door. A few weeks ago some hispanic dude came to the front door and asked one of my family members if they spoke spanish. Then the dude just walked away. No question that this guy was probably trying to scope out the place to try and attempt a robbery.

And getting an overly aggressive isn’t a bad idea. Just feed them plenty of meat to get them all riled up, like one of my friend’s does with his pitbull.

38 Dude @19 March 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Um, no offense but nobody here is trying to make “your city” look bad – it already does that on its own!!

39 Anon March 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Criminals come in EVERY skin tone. In our communities we should be watching for any suspicious activity from ANYONE and report it, take down any info (license plates, descriptions).