Alamo Man Identified as Man Found Dead Inside County Jail Cell in Martinez

March 21, 2014 15:00 pm · 59 comments

An inmate found dead in a cell at Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez on Thursday has been identified as David Bremer, 24, of Alamo. Bremer died at Contra Costa County Regional Medical Center in Martinez on Thursday after he was found unresponsive in a cell at the Martinez Detention Facility, according to a Contra Costa County coroner’s deputy and sheriff’s spokesman Jimmy Lee.

He was arrested in Walnut Creek on an outstanding warrant and on suspicion of resisting arrest and booked into jail around 1 a.m. Thursday, according to the sheriff’s office.

Lee said Bremer talked about wanting to harm himself during a medical screening at the jail, Lee said.

As a result, deputies placed him in what is known as a safety cell and checked on him regularly, the spokesman said.

Deputies went to check on the inmate around 7:35 a.m. and found him unresponsive. Medical staff rendered aid and he was taken to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Lee declined to say whether Bremer was found with any objects he might have used to hurt himself.

The coroner’s office is performing an autopsy on his body today.

The death is under investigation, following standard procedure in the event of an in-custody fatality. A coroner’s inquest will be held to have a jury determine Bremer’s manner of death.

{ 59 comments }

1 Rose Garden March 21, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Very sad….

2 Shataundra March 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Somebody beez in big trouble!

3 Find Waldo March 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Sounds fishy. Not sure how this could of happened if a safety precautions were taken. Guess we will have to wait and see.

4 Sad for him March 21, 2014 at 5:10 PM

My son was “resisting arrest” in WC too. They took him to county jail where they “punished” him for it. It took months to get over that physically.
Too bad this kid did not make it.
Condolences to his family.

5 Anonymous March 21, 2014 at 5:14 PM

@Sad

Nice try Wendy

6 Yhe Phantom March 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Condolences to David’s parents.

There can be no grief greater than losing a child.

7 Yhe Phantom March 21, 2014 at 5:34 PM

“My son was “resisting arrest” in WC too.”?

I’m guessing your son was unable to work for a while during his recovery from the abuse…no?

Actually they don’t “punish” anyone but the “controlling” arrest against the ground can be quite “disarming” but not remarkable, and I recommend “not resisting”.

8 Jerk March 21, 2014 at 5:36 PM

It works for the dashcam and the moronic jury though = The whole “Stop Resisting” line when they are pounding your face in.
Somebody Hits you in the face = You’re going to have a Reflex, unless you are a vegetable.

9 old concord March 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Not good . But we’ll pay for it and be done .

10 Philthy Phresh March 21, 2014 at 6:17 PM

@phantom
Actually people still get their ass beat in jail bud.

Sad that we’re paying for safety cells tho.

11 Marissa March 21, 2014 at 6:25 PM

This is just sad, he should have been watched.

12 Anonymous March 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I wonder how many wrongful death suits for prison suicides, homicides, and so on, are decided in favor of the prisoner and his family.

13 *A Friend* March 21, 2014 at 7:37 PM

this is so tragic & I send my deepest condolences to his family @ this saddened time.

I am trying to figure this out, how an individual being arrested for a outstanding warrant is going to be under “SUSPICION OF RESISTING ARREST”…… THAT MAKES NO DAMN SENSE!!!!!! LAW ENFORCEMENT WILL DO ANYTHING THESE DAYS TO COME UP WITH SOME TYPE OF CHARGE TO GIVE AN INDIVIDUAL!!! WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PROTECTING & SERVING??? SOUNDS MORE LIKE HARASS & ARREST THESE DAYS. HUH!

14 Shirley Wilson March 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM

His poor parents, this is heartbreaking. A young man I worked with years ago hanged himself in the Martinez jail, I don’t understand how it can happen.

15 curious March 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM

16 Landana March 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM

@curious
I agree, and given his age, he could of been a little punk, or he could have just been a young man making bad decisions. There is a difference.

17 wb March 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM

David is my cousin. He moved to california when i was very young. I live here in tennessee and we havent seen each other in about three years. I was wondering if someone would keep me updated on this and give me and my family here in tennessee anything that they might know about this whole situation, because i really haven’t found out a whole lot. If someone would do this please let me know. Thank you.

18 juan doe March 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

May you rest in peace my friend. You were a good man. And so respectfull.
#16 correct yourself. He was no punk!

19 Christina March 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I’m almost positive this is the same person I went to high school with. This is so said! If it is we used to hang out and he dated my friend. Wth this is crazy

20 ~M~ March 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Love you, David. You were truly a sweet kid… always smiling.

21 CCW March 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Look it up, stuff like this happens across the country. An “Accident” happens and someone dies, officer on duty gets a slap on the wrist a transfer at most.

22 Nice Marmot March 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM

This breaks my heart. I never met David, but I’ve known his father for several years. Maybe I’m just naive, but I a) don’t understand what a charge of “suspicion of resisting arrest” means, and b) how someone dies while in a safety cell while being “checked regularly.” I just pray his father can somehow find peace after this loss.

23 Rate my Teacher.com March 22, 2014 at 5:51 AM

High Schools, search “L” Las Lomas, page 20, David Bremer, Social Studies. Read 40 students reviews.

24 Happ March 22, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Does nobody read the story. He was arrested for a warrant, which means he was already causing himself trouble with the courts and cops! Odds are he did not cooperate when WCPD tried to take him into custody, which doesn’t sound far fetched considering warrants are issued when one fails to follow the courts orders. Resisting is an added charge, could have been running from cops or fighting with them when they tried to arrest for warrant.
@15- And parking ticket warrants aren’t warrants people get taken into custody for.

There are always those that want to blame others when something happens with no proof, I’ll wait till all the info is out before I pass judgement.

All around sad for family and those that knew him and are hurting.

25 Anon 0808 March 22, 2014 at 7:49 AM

“I’d like to know what the arrest warrant was for. It makes a difference if it was for crimes against humanity or just flaking on a parking ticket.”

Parking tickets are civil–no warrants are issued for them. Your car gets inpounded when you have 5.
Lets wait for the tox screen results.
Forget the word suspicion– if that is what he was booked for then that is the charge. The warrant charge would be interesting.

26 Don't Censor Me Bro March 22, 2014 at 8:24 AM

@#7

As usual, despite your lame attempt(s), you still don’t know the first thing about the realities of our criminal justice system.

Par for your course…

27 Don't Censor Me Bro March 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM

@NM # 22

That phrase is the media’s way of reporting.

Per the warrant, law enforcement personnel are commanded to take fugitives into custody.

Obviously, some fugitives are 100% compliant and resist not; while some are less than 100% compliant and resist arrest, for a myriad of reasons.

BTW, resisting arrest can range from what would appear to be slight resistance to being extremely combative.

Hope this helps to clarify somewhat…

28 AnonWC March 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM

@Rate my Teacher.com

That’s a different person.

29 AdNice March 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

#23

You think this is him? You realize the reviews go back to 2001 which would make him a teacher 13 years ago at the ripe age of 11?

30 something is fishy March 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Hmmmm booked at 1:00am okay and checking in process about an hour and half so we are now at 2:30 and he was not checked on for 5 hours hmmmm thats regularly? I think not and what happen to automatically sending 51/50 inmates to martinez mental hospital? Sad something seems to have slipped thru the crack here and now a 24 yr old has paid the ultimate penalty for it

31 curious March 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Thanks for the correction, everyone. I thought I might have been on shaky legal ground. I should have used “forgetting jury duty” as an example.

32 cg March 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM

You will be missed deeply rip my bfs bro was a kind kid

33 Tree Farm March 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM

@ 24, 25, 27

At least some people understand how things work.

34 Nice Marmot March 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM

#27

Thanks. I guess I’d just never noticed that particular crime phrased as “suspicion of…”, but I guess they still need to report in the context of innocent until proven.

35 Anonymous March 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM

You’d be surprised what people can have a warrant for their arrest for. My friend didn’t take all the classes after a DUI. He was driving, got pulled over and was thrown in jail. He didn’t even know there was a bench warrant.

Something is very wrong here.. I hope there’s an investigation into this. I know that he had some issues but they weren’t serious issues. More if making bad choices.. I feel horrible for his family during this time. The system has failed this kid. He was placed in a “safety cell” and then nobody checked on him?! Or was he already hurt when he went into the cell.. I think as citizens of this county, it’s out responsibility to find out what happened and try to get answers for this kid and his family and make sure these types of mistakes don’t happen again. He was not a violent person. If someone is talking about hurting themselves, they should be 51/50′d so they can be looked after by professionals in mental health.. End rant..

May his family get through this terrible time with the love and support of others.

36 Cowellian March 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I suspect that a lot of people find out that there is a bench warrant out for them when they get pulled over and get thrown in jail. I suspect your friend was aware that he hadn’t completed all of his DUI classes, though.

37 Anon 0808 March 22, 2014 at 11:57 AM

“My friend didn’t take all the classes after a DUI. He was driving, got pulled over and was thrown in jail. He didn’t even know there was a bench warrant.”

He KNEW he didn’t take all the classes, He signed the court papers to take ALL the classes & he NEVER thought there might be a warrant ??
He is too stupid to drive. NO sympathy from those of us who obey the law.

38 rick james March 22, 2014 at 12:29 PM

This is sad this was my buddy
An long time friend.

39 @ Rob March 22, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Same poster keeps changing names. Give away was previously pointed out: . Its 5150 not 51/50.

This poster acts like if a person happens to die in jail its all the cops fault. Its never about an individual who fails to act in a responsible way, first by not getting a warrant, then by resisting arrest.

Fact is no one knows why this self described suicidal person is dead.

40 saif March 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM

This is very hard to believe. Obviously precautions were not taken and that is dissapointing. Someone us to blame and I hope they find out who. One love Bremer! To the good times and the fond memories. We stayed giggin. RIP brother.

41 @39 March 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Self-described? Or Third-party reported?

42 Happ March 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM

@ 35- your friend is an idiot. Your paperwork states if you fail to comply with the courts orders – ie classes, work details or whatever the warrant issued is for your original charge!!! Which in there case is DUI
He/She knew exactly what might happen if they no showed for what the court ordered.

Someone took their life which is very sad and I can’t imagine the mental place they were in to do it. I feel sorry for all involved, family and friends but to blame others for a suicide is really weak . When some passes by their own hand there is nobody to blame because the responsible is gone.

43 JJ March 22, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I can tell you from experience. I was locked up in the same room David was in after a traumatic experience of being arrested. The room has no windows, no bench, no bed, no toilet and a metal door with a small slit in it which they cover. You are not given water if u need it. You could go a half day without a bologna sandwich. They don’t check you every 15 minutes and if you make noise they may taser u.

Please get my e-mail to his parents at justaname81@gmx.com. They should sue and a class action lawsuit against the CC Sheriff’s Department is justified. I have already written the reporter at the CC Times an e-mail that they should investigate criminal actions by the deputies.

44 JJ March 22, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Plus if he told mental health screening he was suicidal, those guys just use it as an excuse to torture those prisoners. If he pounds on the door for help, they ignore him or they come with 5 deputies and their taser gun. They shock the crap out of the person and they are laughing. I saw it done twice while in holding watching a “mentally disturbed” person get the crap beat out of them and never resisted anything. They just were making noise.

45 Anon 0808 March 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Can’t strap down all who say they they wantto hurt themselves– in the old days many said it to get better food than the jail servees

46 The Bus March 22, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The Anti-Suicide Smock used for mental health patients.

47 Nice Marmot March 22, 2014 at 6:19 PM

@44 – I think right now a lawsuit is the last thing on his family’s mind.

48 Anon March 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM

@JJ

I’ll join that class-action lawsuit. I have witnesses to my unwarranted abuse. The Mayor of Claycord has my email address.

49 J. March 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM

@46
Where’s the padded helmet?

50 JJ March 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I agree that this is the last thing on the family’s mind but they probably wonder why their son never called them….because they deny phone calls illegally. Anon, I will be talking to a civil rights attorney and we will see where it goes.

51 . March 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

So jj is an expert on how to riun a jail, and knows everything about how that jail is run…..from being arrested and booked there.

Wow. I guess I’m a meteorologist because I can tell when it’s raining or I’m an auto mechanic because I drive a car.

None of you know what’s involved on a class-action lawsuit. You’re just a bunch of whiny little arrestees who didn’t get your way and want to get some free dollars and publicity.

You’re pathetic

52 John March 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I am retired from Contra Costa Sheriff as a Deputy and worked in Martinez Jail for 1 year back in 80′s. The safety cell requires that Deputy’s check the inmate every 15 minutes, with initials on a log which is attached to the door. The reason he was discovered at 7:35 was because day shift came on duty and physically checked him. They did their JOB. The graveyard shift placed him in at 1 am then left him there. He must of died sometime in the night. The 15 minute check requires to check for breathing. Approximate times of death which will be established by the pathologist.

53 wb March 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

David is my cousin. He moved to california when i was very young. I live here in tennessee and we havent seen each other in about three years. I was wondering if someone would keep me updated on this and give me and my family here in tennessee anything that they might know about this whole situation, because i really haven’t found out a whole lot. If someone would do this please let me know our please send me an email at wbaugh40@gmail.com. Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

54 HIGHTEND March 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM

EVERYONE IS GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT WHENS THE LAST TIME YOUVE HEARD OF LAW ENFORCMENT PAYING FOR DAMAGED LIVES OF THE WRONGLY ACCUSED I KNOW THEY HELPED ME LOSE JOBS AND RETURN TO THE STREETS A FEW TIMES FOR BEING IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME!

55 JJ March 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Hey John-
How come in intake they make u initial for being allowed 2 phone calls but don’t let you make those phone calls. How come u guys taser the mentally ill for making too much noise?

56 . March 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM

@#54,

They “helped you lose jobs”???????

Try again.

57 Eff b March 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I’ve been in Martinez county jail many times. I wouldn’t put it past the officers in the jail… My condolences to David’s family. He was a good kid and a great friend. RIP

58 Cowellian March 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I’m getting the impression that people don’t like being in the Contra Costa jail.

59 anon March 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Tip of the day, you don’t like the Contra Costa Jail, try not getting arrested. Jail is supposed to be a crime deterrent, not a bed and breakfast.