UPDATE: Coroner Identifies Concord Woman Killed in Hit & Run Collision

March 17, 2014 11:35 am · 42 comments

A woman killed in a hit-and-run collision in Concord late Sunday night has been identified as 46-year-old Yolanda Tiscareno, according to the Contra Costa County coroner’s office.

Police are continuing to look for the driver of a pickup truck who fled after fatally striking Tiscareno, a Concord resident, around 11:40 p.m. along Willow Pass Road near Fifth Street.

Police determined that a pickup truck traveling east on Willow Pass Road left the roadway and hit Tiscareno, who was walking west on the sidewalk.

Arriving officers found Tiscareno deceased on the roadway, according to police.

Police are looking for a pickup truck with front-end damage. Anyone with information is asked to call Concord police Officer Ken Carlson at 925-603-5931.

RELATED STORY: UPDATE: Fatal Hit & Run Vehicle -vs- Pedestrian Collision on Willow Pass Rd. – Vehicle Killed Woman on Sidewalk

1 BicycleEnthusiast March 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Someone please find this guy. So tragic.

2 SF CityGirl March 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Brutal. Poor thing, may she rip & condolences to the family.

3 Just me March 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Wonder if crossroads high or credit union on willow pass has anything on their cameras

4 Scrappy March 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

RIP Yolanda. I’m deepest condolences to your family as they are forced to walk this horrible road❤️

5 Incognito March 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Put the word out…. Maybe the driver did not show up for work today and is in hiding, depending on how extensive the damage is to the truck.

6 old concord March 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Sad , Prayers go out to the family and friends .

7 David Molstad March 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

My wishes and prayers for comfort and healing to the family of Yolanda Tiscareno and their extended family.

May Yolanda’s soul be bound in the bond of eternal life, and may her memory be a blessing and an inspiration to all who knew and loved her.

May God bring comfort to all those who grieve the loss of loved ones.

8 GoGo Gomez March 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

RIP

9 ConcordMike March 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Sad. Willow Pass at Fifth is dangerous with the sidewalk inches from vehicles maneuvering the curve, even if the vehicles are going the speed limit, let alone if they were speeding or drunk.
This section of roadway needs to be addressed to make it safer for pedestrians.

10 Glen March 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

How can people who do this live with themselves?

Whoever did this, turn yourself in.

11 eric March 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

@ Just Me – Crossroads HS and the Western Federal Credit Union are near 3rd Street, this terrible incident happened near 5th Street.

12 LocalGirl March 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

@Incognito – very good point … let’s make sure we spread the word!

13 Linda March 17, 2014 at 1:51 PM

This is the street before the Chevron at Willow Pass and Fifth.

14 Concord guy March 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM

R.I.P Yolanda, i had the pleasure to interact with Yolanda at my place of work, we connected almost instantly, its sad to know she had to go like this, my deepest condolences to her family and friends. Que Dios La Bendiga.

15 cg March 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

RIP Yolanda and blessings to her family and friends. I hope this coward comes forward or is caught quickly.

16 ConcordMike March 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hopefully PD will canvass the residences along Willow Pass Rd to see if anyone has cameras pointed toward the street. I’m all for having cameras at the city limits on each road to monitor felons.
If the truck were to have come down my street, my cameras would have caught it. Already checked my recordings, but it didn’t.

17 ConcordMike March 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Concord Guy…
My condolences to you and to Yolanda’s family. I am sure we have seen her walking the neighborhood as we go about our daily lives around Concord.
May she rest in peace now.

18 Mark March 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Why was she walking so late at night?

19 John March 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Getting some exercise, getting some fresh air under a full moon, walking home from work, walking to the store …??? What difference does it make? People can walk any time they please.

20 jtkatec March 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Oh, Mark, just stop it.

21 Tim March 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Yolanda is my sister in-law. The family and I would like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers! She is a mother of 4 adult children and 1 grandson. Thank you again for keeping Yolie in your prayers. God Bless

22 sam March 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM

@mark: If this woman had been a member of your family or good friend, etc.,
what would be your response, to the question you posted?

23 Anonymous March 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

TV news crew with satellite truck there now

24 Cowellian March 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Mark,
What difference does it make why she was out?

25 BagsFlyFree March 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM

This unfortunate incident doesn’t need to happen again to another Concord family. Hold the people in city government accountable to the fact that this corridor is heavily traveled by pedestrians and bicycles, and needs immediate action now. Yes, there are surely easement issues expanding sidewalks or Willow Pass road itself; however everyone here knows Concord hasn’t been active in the area with redevelopment.

The soldiers at the Marine base up the street from this accident location don’t even have paved space to run around their base near Willow Pass and Olivera. Bus stops up the road are on gravel. This is all a few short blocks from city hall. Mr. Mayor (not our distinguished Claycord Mayor), you drive by this location everytime you leave city hall. What can you and the city council do to prioritize improving this area like Monument and Concord Blvd? Since when have basic sidewalk enhancements and well lit streets become such a chore to put into a city budget?

BFF Out!

26 KenInConcord March 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I think everyone should walk out their front door a look to the left and then to the right.

Stop and give a hard long thought, if there is a two tone dark colored truck that lives in you neighborhood. If so, have you seen it today tomorrow…… Ken D.

27 Silva March 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Excellent points.

I’m so sorry for her friends and family.

28 Lorena Sanchez March 17, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Leticia Cruz
I was one of the people that spent the last few moments with Yolanda! I wat to tell you that she was not alone! There were 4 of us who said a prayer for her together…my prayers go out to you and your family, I’m very sorry for your loss! I just wish I could’ve done more

29 Anonymom March 17, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Did they give a description somewhere? I hadn’t seen one except on cc times?

30 We do need a better description... March 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM

…was it a two tone truck? All I’ve heard is “truck with front end damage”, which is practically half the trucks in Concord.

31 ale March 17, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I am disgusted. This is the third time pedestrians have been killed by cars on sidewalks in claycord in the last two years. There is no excuse for this.

32 caskydiver March 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

If you are the driver and are reading this, you need to turn yourself in as soon as possible.

33 Crybaby March 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM
34 Concord guy March 17, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Thank you very much, I’m happy she’s at a better place now, just not the way to go….:(

35 Michelle March 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Condolences to this poor woman’s family RIP.

36 Monkey March 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I walk and cycle around Concord everyday, drivers are so rude. When I get the rare one that slows to let me cross, it makes my day a lot happier.

37 Cat Wrangler March 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM

How heartbreakingly tragic. I am glad that there were loving and brave people with her to comfort her and pray for her as opposed to the vile and heartless person who took her life and left her to die while trying to escape being caught. I hope and pray that he turns himself in.

38 Jess March 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM

CPD got the driver. They arrested a man from Antioch and impounded his truck.

39 Cj March 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Mark, I can’t think of a more back-asswards question.

40 homeless woman -- 5 children March 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

According to TV news, the victim was pushing a shopping cart at almost midnight when she was hit. She has 5 children who looked like they were all adults and well dressed. Her kids said that she was a wonderful person who had fallen on hard times and was sometimes homeless. How could they let their mother be in that circumstance?

41 Scott March 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Rather than ask how they could let their mother be in this circumstance, perhaps you should be asking how can someone go out, get drunk and then get behind the wheel? We don’t know Yolanda’s situation. It’s personal and none of our business. If it wasn’t her it would have been someone else. Drunk drivers are the lowest of scums, right next to child molestors.

My family gives our prayers to the family and friends of Yolanda. May she rest in peace.

42 @40 March 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM

And how can you possibly judge her children without being in their shoes?