Don’t Drink & Drive – Please Designate a Sober Driver Tonight

March 17, 2014 · 22 comments

dd

St. Patrick’s Day is today, and the Contra Costa “Avoid the 25″ anti-DUI task force is reminding drivers not to get behind the wheel if they’ve been drinking.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that some 269 people were senselessly killed nationwide in crashesinvolving drunk drivers during St. Patrick’s Day from 2007 to 2011. Those fatalities were preventable.

The Avoid the 25 will be deploying roving anti-DUI patrols this St. Patrick’s Day in several communities throughout the county, looking to stop and arrest drivers who are impaired by alcohol or drugs. These specialized DUI patrols are in addition to regularly scheduled patrol officers. They will be looking for the tell-tale signs of an impaired driver behind the wheel.

According to NHTSA, in 2011, one person was killed on an average of every 53 minutes in a drunkdriving crash in the United States. Most of these crashes involved drunk drivers who had blood alcohol concentrations of .15 or higher, almost twice the legal limit of .08.

Here are some tips to help prevent these tragedies from occurring:

• Before the festivities begin, plan a way to safely get home at the end of the night.
  • Before drinking, designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home.
  • If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation to get home safely.
  • If you see a drunk driver on the road, Call 9-1-1! You could save a life.
  • And remember, if you know people who are about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.

The task force is funded through a grant by the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

CLAYCORD NOTE: You can also call Concord Express Taxi Cab at 925-676-2222 for a safe and affordable ride home.

photo credit: “P_Hill Phil”

1 Emily March 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM

For the love of Pat … why must Americans turn the world’s minor non-holidays into another excuse to drink to excess? I was born and brought up in the County Down, not far from Patrick’s last resting place. On the saint’s day there you will see no drunkenness, green beer, silly costumes or even corned beef.

2 Think strait while drunk and get a cab! March 17, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Hang over cures top story on AOL? It is an excuse to get blasted for some. As is other holidays. Why? Not like some don’t get too wasted on any day of the year. But does seem wrong somehow. Oh well, each their own, as long as you do not drive. We all have things to work on, and I am not fudging others. But alcohol does seem too socially acceptable as other, even less harmful drugs, are not. As they should be. Not drugs are good. Unless you are one of the ones who can do it responsibly, and not in excess. Which I was not. I drank way to much and almost killed me. There is a difference between allowing the use of a mind altering substance and down right celebrating it as I feel alcohol is. But again, get a cab. If you drive drunk or impaired, your life could be ruined, not mention someone else’s. Stupid. Really stupid. But who thinks strait drunk? You better.

3 Peanut Gallery March 17, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Be safe

4 Frank March 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Think the booze has already gotten to your brain, buddy.

5 AAA March 17, 2014 at 4:54 PM

AAA should offer tipsy tow tonight like they do on New Years. That’s a really helpful resource too. :-) be safe y’all!

6 Momo March 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Thankyou

7 Bradford March 17, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Friends don’t let friends drink E & J.

8 TinFoiler March 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Well said, Emily.

9 typical concord resident March 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM

People are celebrating tonight? I got my partying out of the way last Saturday. There doesn’t seem to be any point to going out and getting hammered on a Monday.

10 anonanonagain March 17, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I agree with you Emily. I’m British with Irish Grandparents, and it seems even they are using this as en excuse to get pissed (drunk). I have relatives in Australia and even the Aussies know how to make any occasion a reason to drink oneself blind. Be safe and not sorry people.

11 Think strait while drunk and get a cab! March 17, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Unless you can miss work. I never got hung over and worked, even getting hammered. Until all the sudden when I was about 38, it hit me, bad. I think younger people may be able to, but older ones maybe you better think about it. I got so drunk once and hung over I had to leave work. I could not function…. Not good.

12 Think strait while drunk and get a cab! March 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Also to say there is a Facebook thing being shared of what looks like three college age girls drunk and passed out, Irish something or other. IMO they look dead. And alcohol can and does kill. I am not so sure about that message, and people think it is funny? They would not think it was funny if it were over doses of drugs, but alcohol, sure, why not. : ( 10,000 Americans die strait out form alcohol poisoning a year. From O-Ding on alcohol. Look it up.

13 The word is STRAIGHT, not strait March 17, 2014 at 5:55 PM

14 Paddy March 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Most people celebrated Saturday.

15 Michelle March 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone. :-)

16 Dorothy March 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Got your green on? Pinched you if you didn’t.

That’s left over from when I was in school and didn’t dare not wear a visible green something if March 17th was a school day. Do they still do that?

17 Bradford March 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Actually he was referring to George Strait, a major crusader against drunk driving.

Actually, I totally just made that up.

18 Think strait while drunk and get a cab! March 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Gotchya! You are a very strait forward replier! I suck at English, but it is the laungage I am best at. You shoud see my Arabic. : (

19 Puddintain March 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Troll’s tipsy already

20 Incognito March 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Emily #1
My husband is 100% Irish (Cork County Ireland – both parents) and the last person really to consider celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. These so-called Holidays are for amateurs as my husband always says.

21 claycordian March 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Even thought we’re part Irish, we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and other holidays (Cinqo de Mayo, New Year’s Eve, etc. ) at home. Those holidays are AMATEUR NIGHTS. Safer not to be out and about….

22 Cowellian March 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Think strait while drunk and get a cab!@18 said:

I’ll admit to cringing just a little, reading some of your earlier posts, but your reply at #18 is a classic, and I’d like to nominate it for Claycord’s post of the week.