16-year-old Boy Arrested in Stolen Vehicle Following Police Pursuit

March 16, 2014 · 29 comments

wcpd

A 16-year-old boy was arrested on Sunday in a stolen vehicle following a police pursuit, officers said.

At about 4:35 p.m., a Walnut Creek police officer saw a vehicle being driven erratically on Sunnyvale Avenue.

The officer ran the license plate number and discovered that the vehicle had recently been reported stolen out of Concord, police said.

Additional officers responded to the scene, but the driver of the stolen vehicle accelerated in an attempt to avoid being detained, officers said.

The brief pursuit came to an end in a small one-way parking lot on Buena Vista Road when the suspect rammed a patrol car head-on. The driver of the suspect vehicle then backed the vehicle into another patrol car, police said.

The teen driver was taken into custody without injury and no other occupants were in the vehicle, police said.

The stolen vehicle and one patrol car sustained major damage but no injuries were reported, according to police.

Officers determined that the juvenile was under the influence of a controlled substance and was also in possession of a controlled substance.

The teen suspect was booked into juvenile hall for assaulting a peace officer with a deadly weapon, evading police, being in possession of a controlled substance, being under the influence of a controlled substance and driving under the influence of a controlled substance, police said.

1 Michelle March 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM

WOW! He really layered those charges! What is wrong with our youth these days!

2 Chevrolet girl March 16, 2014 at 10:12 PM

He wasn’t arested for being in a stolen vehicle? Sounds like a winner!

3 Anonymous March 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Guarantee we will be reading more about this little reptile in the future.

4 TeamUSA March 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Loser. Wipe these junkies off the streets and fine their inattentive loser parents for unleashing these punks upon society.

5 Idiots everywhere March 16, 2014 at 10:48 PM

When my car was stolen they could only charge them with being in possession of a stolen vehicle!

6 Wit-Sec March 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

16 years old?….. Shouldn’t he be doing his homework?

7 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM

When you are only 16 and evade police & deliberately crash the stolen car, trying to hurt or maybe even kill the police, the driving insurance premiums go way up! Dad is going to be reallllly pissed!

8 Pleasant Hill Resident I March 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Wow. I am disgusted by this.

However, I find it funny when people are so quick to blame the parents. I know several young adults who had every opportunity in life (including parents strong enough to correct and/or rehabilitate when issues came up) who still made a mess of their lives, got in trouble with the law, etc.

In the end, a person who would willingly make the decision to steal a car, flee from police AND then try to ram police vehicles – with no regard for safety or the consequences of their actions – is probably not the type who would listen to their parents. Point fingers all you want, but odds are that the parents have been trying their very best.

9 Pleasant Hill Resident I March 16, 2014 at 11:22 PM

(Especially while under the influence).

10 ☆♧caution March 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM

He’s lucky the police didn’t shoot and kill and him. Ive recently experienced sarrow from a friends who had a Love one gunned down. a young girl ran into a police officer after not stoping right away, a couple weeks ago in the Sacramento area. She was unarmed. They said they feared for their life. Beware. Cops are ready to shoot and kill. I applaud the wc police for showing restraint. I feel better about having my own family in the area. I’m sickened byb the increase in police misconduct that I read and hear about on a regular basis. Truly sickening.

11 A Girl March 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Damm I Live On Sunnyvale Ave And i missed the Scene SMH

12 Dorothy March 16, 2014 at 11:50 PM

The 16 year old is being chased in a stolen car while under the influence and rammed one police car and backed into another – right? I would think the officers in this particular case showed remarkable restraint in not shooting him since they seemed to have case to think their lives just might be in danger.

On the other hand, since he is only 16, at best he will most likely get slapped a bit by a judge, as the law will dictate. His parents might get some kind of fine for damages – maybe.

13 Juan Pablo March 16, 2014 at 11:54 PM

When and where did the youth of today go awry.?Why do they think they are above the law and can outsmart police?
Is this what happens when we leave our kids in daycare and take D.A.R.E. out of schools?

14 The Mamba March 17, 2014 at 7:19 AM

16 years old, on drugs and stealing cars. He’s lucky as hell the police didn’t empty their clips into him for ramming them with cars. His parents failed him and now he is unleashed on the rest of us.

15 Chevrolet girl March 17, 2014 at 8:58 AM

This is what happens when people don’t teach their kids about respect, morals and values.

16 GreatKid March 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Well, I hope the authorities can help this kid turn his life around. I wish they’d release the names of these kids to the public.

Hope he learns his lesson.

17 bumper March 17, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Blame it on the lack of corporal punishment, the “time out” syndrome, the positive enforcement/no punishment of modern parenting. He should be tried as an adult, and spend a significant amount of time of his new adult life in San Quentin.

18 anonanonagain March 17, 2014 at 9:46 AM

wow. I am sure the parents of this kid are stellar individuals. (Sarcasm)
How unfortunate that he has already put himself on the road to nowhere.
I only hope that he gets the help he needs and makes something of himself.
We don’t need another drug addict, criminal minded individual walking the streets.

19 nytemuvr March 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Ditto with Chevy girl plus they’ve been brought up with “Hollywood” cop movies, television and video games that glorify those actions. Ultimately the parents as she says.

20 nytemuvr March 17, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I was brought up with in a strict corporal punishment family, not sure that’s the answer, but then neither is the “time out” philosophy IMO. Thankful I didn’t have to make those decisions as I have no kids, even though it wasn’t by choice, it’s a tough parental call for the parents that care.

21 well... March 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Maybe they should have.

22 Idiocracy March 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM

“Well Punk, do you feel lucky?” Lol Must of thought his GTA 5 scores would be on par in the real world. Bet you 100 dollars he brags about it when he gets out. Ill bet another 100 that some girl will be impressed and they will mate and hence idiocracy shall continue.

23 Elwood March 17, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Cops are tired of being slaughtered by gun toting thugs.

Nowadays they shoot first and then go home to their families at the end of their shift.

Hopefully, this will give some ignorant no good thugs pause.

24 fam bam March 17, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Free my homie sam y’all obviously don’t know what it’s like growing up with no family and no opportunity to be a regular member of society

25 fam bam March 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM

He had no parents he was raised in foster homes with criminal his whole life wha do you expect when the government treats underprivileged kids like criminals they become exactly how you thought they’d be

26 @ fam bam March 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Every single day is an opportunity to be a regular member of society. What you and your friend Sam choose to do with with your time during that day is exactly that…a choice.

Sam apparently has a long list of previous arrests according to the police. But because he is a juvenile he continues to be provided with additional opportunities to cause trouble rather than making the choice to be a regular member of society – such as being employed and purchasing items rather than stealing them.

In this case, he chose to steal my car which I just paid off in July after 5 years. Those payments came from the full-time job for which I wake up every day and choose to keep. I took very good care of that car and in a little more than 24 hours, your buddy Sam trashed it inside and out. Since you are interested in sticking up for your friend, would you like the opportunity to pay for my deductible and the difference in my insurance premiums which will go up? How about the difference when I try to sell or trade in my car that has now been wrecked? That’s what it means to be a regular member of society.

You are suggesting that he should be “freed” (again)? Why? He isn’t “just hurting himself.” He is hurting the people around him and I’m not sure why you think we should all turn our cheeks for this kind of behavior.

27 well... March 17, 2014 at 4:32 PM

He’s 16, not 6. He knows right from wrong. Hopefully he is tried as an adult.

28 anon March 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Free my homie sam!! He needa get out fast @ower of car you shouldnt have left it unlocked hahahah!

29 Friends March 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Well- Sams friends sure sound educated….