Small Fire Extinguished Inside Safeway on Alhambra Ave. in Martinez

March 14, 2014 22:15 pm · 10 comments

fire

Firefighters extinguished a small blaze inside the deli’s oven at the Safeway on Alhambra Ave. in Martinez on Friday night.

A witness named Mary tells us what happened….

My husband and I were at a friend’s house about 2 blocks from Safeway at 3334 Alhambra Ave. We heard the fire trucks, but we didn’t know they were headed to Safeway.

We left our friend’s place shortly after with plans to stop and pick up some dinner, and came across the fire trucks. When we pulled up, there was smoke pouring out of the exhaust pipe above the deli department, but it dissipated pretty quickly. An employee told me something had caught fire in the deli department.

The fire team got up on the roof briefly to check things out, then they were done. The manager waved bystanders back into the store. We went inside. It smelled like smoke and was still a little hazy.

The convection oven in the deli had caught fire, we saw it when we walked by.

No major damage was reported.

Thanks again to Mary for the info & pictures!

{ 10 comments }

1 The Closer March 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Probably the hot wings.

2 Mimi (original) March 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I stop there frequently, glad I had another destination this evening!

3 qwerty March 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

…I thought my chicken tender was over-done…

By the way, natural chickens don’t have breasts the size of those sold at Safeway, Lucky, etc. Enjoy the growth hormones! Yea cancer!

4 Shelly March 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Yeah, I saw Food Inc., and those poor birds can’t even stand up or walk even if they did have any room to do so, because of the huge breast meat overgrowth. They said that they were bred that way, but of course they use hormones too. Well I hope I’m done with cancer for a while! There’s not a whole lot of options to feed billions of people without lots of chemicles though.

5 Joe Martinez March 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I saw a movie once and now I know everything about the grocery industry and their mutant chicken boobies. Don’t shop at grocery stores, they’re trying to kill you because aliens!

6 Thank you Claycord March 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

A few blocks from our house and I didn’t even know this. Glad it was not worse..

7 qwerty March 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Food Inc is a good movie. So is Food Matters. You’re right, they are selectively bred, over and over, to have enormous breasts. They can barely walk or move. Some can’t move, and sit in one place until they die, unnoticed. To think that the chicken breast I could buy (but won’t) survived that process is rather sickening. Those chicken tenders are huge! It’s disgusting!

Another vote for The Mayor! I like this new reply option. qwerty can have a convo with Shelly and it’s not necessary to copy and paste the wording I wanted to refer to. Nice!

8 Shelly March 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Really awfull when you see they can’t escape their own feces or anyone elses in the “coop”. All those thousands of birds ankle deep in doodoo. Thanks for the tip on Food Matters.

9 Isabelle March 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM

That was a terrifying film, Food Matters–those poor things just eat and crap and all the workers just standing around watching–then the slaughter. I had to take a shower just after seeing that, feet covered in blood, feathers and bird****. But I am still making chicken pot pie tonight.

10 Shelly March 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, makes me hungry too!