PG&E Working on the Kirker Pass Transmission Towers with a Helicopter

March 13, 2014 · 7 comments

maintenance

If you see a helicopter flying over Claycord this week, it’s because PG&E is working on the transmission towers located off Kirker Pass Rd.

This is routine. PG&E does this several times a year throughout Claycord.

Thanks to the anonymous Claycordian for the photo!

1 foxylady March 14, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Yeah its is pretty incredible to watch them. The helio drops down, the tower worker hooks up to the rope [or whatever it is they use to hoist him in his harness], then the helio gently lifts him up & carries him to the next tower and sets him back down on the skinny ‘catwalk’.
I’m so afraid of heights I can barely stand watching it from the ground. Total awe for the worker.

2 JET March 14, 2014 at 7:09 AM

I first noticed this about a week ago when I was driving home on Kirker Pass Road, the helicopter was on the ground (where that old firewood stand was until it was demolished a couple yrs back), but the blades were going and it looked like it was getting ready to go somewhere. At first I thought maybe it was Seeno or someone rich surveying all of their land :) LOL. But noticed it day after day since then, and just saw it flying to the towers so I figured they were doing some work up there! Pretty cool stuff!

3 Cowellian March 14, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Nope!
That’s not my dream job.

4 KenInConcord March 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Last month I was sitting in traffic on the San Mateo Bridge, And a Helicopter came very close and dropped a 100 foot line to a barge along side the bridge, three men clipped on and they were lifted and flew away under the helicopter like superman. Turns out they are replacing all the high power lines, These line workers are lifted from tower to tower all day long.

As I sat a few thoughts went through my head.
1.) They don’t worry about rush hour traffic.
2.) Their every day on the job is more exciting than any roller coaster, zip line, action movie I have ever watched.
3.) I’m glad I don’t have to sit next to these guys at night. Dude, how was your day? “OK….. We Helo’d to a 20 billion volt tower and had a crane a mega block thing onto the tower in the rain and wind, tower was swinging, hanging by a strap, Blah Blah Blah…..” How was your day Ken? It was tough, a customer was mean to me on the phone today!!

I feel unchallenged!

5 Lori March 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM

My nephew has this job. He’s been doing it for 20 years and travels all over the U.S. Worry about him constantly

6 Wow March 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Whatever they pay those guys, it’s not enough.

7 Mimi (original) March 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

This would be awesome to see – sorry I’ve missed it! Being IN a tall, enclosed building is enough to make me light-headed and nauseous – I would probably faint dead away if asked to dangle from the bottom of a helicopter and cling to the side of a large, metal spiderweb of a tower!