Assemblywoman Bonilla Names Cindy Gershen as the 14th Assembly District Woman of the Year

March 11, 2014 10:00 am · 11 comments

Assemblywoman Susan A. Bonilla (D-Concord) has named Cindy Gershen as the 14th Assembly District Woman of the Year. Gershen was recognized along with recipients from the other 79 California Assembly districts at today’s annual California State Assembly Woman of the Year ceremony.

“Cindy’s leadership and action-oriented work in the community is having a tremendous impact to improve the long term health of all our residents,” said Assemblywoman Bonilla. “Cindy’s innovative high school education program, Change the Food, Change the Future, can serve as a transformative model for future educational nutrition programs in our schools.”

Gershen is chef and owner of Sunrise Bistro in Walnut Creek, CA, as well as the founder of Wellness City Challenge, a non-profit organization that seeks to improve health through nutrition, education and physical activity. Gershen is being recognized not only as a successful Contra Costa County business owner, community health activist and author, but also for her dedicated service to our local schools. She is heavily invested in promoting healthy eating through education and teaches a course to underserved youth with high health risks at Mt. Diablo High School in Concord, CA. Gershen is also currently teaming up with the Mt. Diablo Unified School District to create healthier menu options in their school cafeterias.

“It is of great honor to accept this award from Assemblywoman Bonilla and I am even more appreciative as it reflects my passion for food and health,” said Gershen. “The work I do is a reward in itself as I feel I’m giving people freedom, while also empowering them to make a lifetime of positive change.”

1 Ruby Tuesday March 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Congratulations Ms. Gershen! Woman of the Year. Awesome!

2 Crankcord Doug March 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Congratulations Cindy! Mayor, please keep us informed when the 14th Assembly District Man of the Year is announced.

3 Connie Dobbs March 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Every man is Man of the Year.

4 Mar March 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Very good Choice ! Congrats Cindy

5 Claycordian1 March 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like she really deserves it.

6 Briana March 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM

@Cankered Doug
All men are men of the year in Cankered.

7 Cat Wrangler March 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Cindy Gershen is awesome! She strives to make a meaningful difference and is so deserving of this honor. We have enjoyed her gracious hospitality and extraordinary culinary delights for years.

Congratulations, Cindy!

8 Ruby Tuesday March 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Be sure to visit Sunrise Bistro in WC for healthy eating or a special treat! Friendly staff and great catering service too!

Cindy has a “personal success story” along the lines of healthy eating, and proudly shares her passion with the community.

Cindy, I will give you a well deserved hug next time I’m in with family or friends. Cindy is awesome!

9 Elizabeth March 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I have had the great honor of working with Cindy. The results at the high school are nothing short of amazing. The gardens, the food, the change in our students….. Not mentioned but worth checking, she just published a book of recipes of the food she serves at school every day. Called “Fat Chance” you can find on Amazon. Go Cindy go!

10 Melanie March 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Congratulations Cindy! I couldn’t be happier for you.

I haven’t had the honor of meeting you, but I’m always looking for a new place to dine, and I know where your restaurant is.

I think I’ll check out her book as well. Healthy eating is so important.

11 Anon March 11, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Whom ever is nominated by BoneHeadNelly, should respectfully decline.