After 25 Years, the Singing Flag in Concord Has Been Cancelled

March 11, 2014 · 135 comments

killjoy_singingflag

After 25 years, the 4th of July Singing Flag at Dave Brubeck Park in Concord has been cancelled.

Linda Reynolds, the Performing Arts Director from Calvary Temple Church in Concord made the announcement at Tuesday night’s Concord City Council meeting.

Reynolds said this was a tough decision, but the leadership team at Calvary Temple unanimously decided to bring closure to the Singing Flag, saying they plan to use their resources to expand service to those in need through their compassion and justice ministries.

The announcement came just a few days after the church announced the news to their congregation.

Reynolds said the announcement is bittersweet, and they are grateful for the past 25 years of the Singing Flag.

She added they would like to personally thank the public for your support, your attendance, your friendship, and said they are looking forward to the exciting adventures that lay ahead with their church.

The council, who seemed somewhat shocked, thanked Calvary Temple Church for their dedication to the community.

photo credit: “Killjoy”

1 Marsman March 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM

We thank them for a wonderful show over the years, but their mission is much more important than fireworks…understandable.

2 Connie Dobbs March 11, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Congratulations to everyone who complained about the traffic and the noise.

3 Veteran March 11, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Aw man. I thought the singing flag was a cool thing to go to every year in Concord. I wanted to be one of the veterans marching this year since I didn’t have my uniform ready last year. Oh well! Thanks for the 25 years of the Singing Flag! Hopefully it will come back :)

4 lg March 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Their show was way more than fireworks. They should do it one more time, at least!!!!

5 Cat Wrangler March 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Thank you, Calvary Temple, for you 25 years of the Singing Flag. We enjoyed it very much and are sad to see it come to an end. Thank you for continuing your loving service to our community through your compassion and justice ministries.

6 cornfed March 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM

All of a sudden, after 25 years? Something smells.

7 Jess March 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Interesting. It was fun for the community, but I wondered how it fit into their mission as a church. It brought them publicity, but I’m not sure it was the best way to spread their religious beliefs, particularly when cost was taken into consideration. I would think there are more cost effective ways to use that money for evangelical purposes, as well as ways that are more closely aligned with Jesus’ belief in caring for the poor and downtrodden.

8 KenInConcord March 12, 2014 at 12:01 AM

So sad!! I appreciate the wonderful wholesome family event that they have put on for so many years.

A event like this is a true example for Gods love and kindness shining through his believers.

Everyone involved in this event were not there for the money or fame, They were there Just to bring the message that changed their life to the others in their community, and to honor the traditions that made this country great!

Thank you everyone that worked on this in the past. You have made a difference in our community, We look forward to your next ministry.

KenInConcord

9 mizz moyal March 12, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Wow! Bittersweet. A family tradition for for my family and i we enjoyed. Being apart of the festivties. It was a safe place to go and enjoy good family time without creating problems. Thank you celvery temple for your love and dedication and allowing us to understand and reconize the meaning behind true family time. Sad to see this event come to an end

10 Living in Claycord March 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM

When conservatives in government vote to eliminate services to those in need, the churches must step up to ensure that families have food and kids have lunches.

So you get to decide – fireworks for your summer entertainment or helping your fellow man when your government fails them.

11 Heartbroken March 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM

So incredible sad about this. I created this fb page for sharing stories, memories, and photos. Please come join https://m.facebook.com/groups/466302503470459

12 Kate McGuire March 12, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Sad! I understand they want to focus their energies elsewhere, but my grandson will be very disappointed. He thinks the name of the park is the Singing Flag Park. The celebrations will be missed. Thank you for 25 yearsof celebrating our country and our armed forces, and sharing not
only the patriotic but also spiritual messages. Great community action.

13 misty March 12, 2014 at 3:12 AM

Oh No!!!!!!! I LOVE the singing flag. This is such à huge bummer. Every year i look forward to watching the set up, the practicing, and then of course the nightly performances. This has been à family tradition if ours and we are going to miss it. God Bless Calvary and many blessings in your future outreach projects.

14 Ranchgirlca March 12, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Bummer. Will miss the show.

15 kristina March 12, 2014 at 5:35 AM

I can’t believe it….I have so many memories with loved ones who are no longer with me at the singing flag. Went every year as a kid and it was always the spot to go if other plans fell thru. I hate to see it go but life goes on. Just another childhood tradition gone…nothing lasts forever

16 Ryan S. March 12, 2014 at 5:39 AM

Thank You Calvary Temple. My Family and I have enjoyed your program over the years it will be missed.

17 dree March 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM

What is a justice ministry? And what do they do?

18 Former Law-Guy March 12, 2014 at 5:44 AM

#1-Sad to see the Singing Flag go.

#2- Living in Claycord is mis-informed. I work the the government, and I can assure you that California provides the so-called poor with tremendous resources. Section 8 housing; WIC; food stamps; Medi-Cal; discounted PG&E; free cell phones; and yes….free lunch at school (and breakfast for that matter). The free lunch at school even continues during the summer. Having also worked in law-enforcement for many years, I can tell you the vast majority of the homeless folk you see walking/stumbling around Claycord are either severely mentally ill and refuse treatment or are have substance abuse problems. There are also free services for these problems, but the government cannot force someone to not only seek treatment, but also take it seriously.

My favorite abuse is the free ambulance rides that get billed to Medi-Cal. There are local homeless folk in Concord that regularly fake chest pains so they can get a ride to the hospital and get a warm bed and a meal. It happens every day right here in our community.

I tell you what, Living in Claycord, you figure out how to make all your fellow citizens be more responsible, and my wife and I will gladly pay even more taxes. Right now, between feds/state/property taxes/sales taxes my family only keeps 60% of what we make. I grew up poor, but even including summers, I have either been a full-time student or a full-time employee since I was 13 years old. I do not consider myself a conservative, especially on social issues, but I suppose I would join the “responsible party” if one existed.

#3- I hope the ministry the church intends to provide will have a substance abuse treatment component. So much of the misery we consider poverty is related to this problem. Good luck to the church and I appreciate their efforts.

19 ddinelli March 12, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Although I don’t go every year. I enjoyed every year that I did go Thank you Calvery Temple for all the years you provided entertsinment and fellowship with neighbors and friends and family

20 Nuttsie the Nutter March 12, 2014 at 6:09 AM

Yes, Jess, ….”as ways that are more closely aligned with Jesus’ belief in caring for the poor and downtrodden.”

You would think that would be one of the main beliefs of faith based people. Yet the most religious among us are also the most conservative Republicans who are steadfast against helping the poor and downtrodden. Case in point, unemployment benefits and food stamp programs cuts.

I think if Jesus came back and saw what the Republicans are doing he would become a Democrat,

21 Just me March 12, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Thanks for all the WONDERFUL MEMORYS. From grandma dad mom brothers sisters aunt uncles cousins daughter sons and I was hoping grandchildren but we needed another couple of years. You will be missed

22 Anon March 12, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Ahhhh – too bad – Thank you for the past 25 years. 4th of July will not be the same. The show was SO much more than fireworks. Loved when the Military were honored. I know this event cost $1000’s to put on – hopefully the church will be able to help many who are in need with the budgeted money.

23 Michelle March 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Thank you Calvary Temple, I will miss it this year. Sad that such a tradition of Concord has to be fore gone.

24 Russ March 12, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Such a shame. This was something that made Concord unique. Now we are just gonna have to scatter to other places to show our patriotism.

25 Concord Res March 12, 2014 at 7:11 AM

So sad this has been a part of my family since the start. It brings our neighborhood together once a year to watch the show and talk to one another. If it is a money issue they should speak up now so people and business can help.

26 Anonymous March 12, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Never heard of it…won’t miss it…

27 ? March 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM

NOW where are we going to watch fireworks?!

28 so what now? March 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Okay city of concord you have big shoes to fill….I hope the council decides to do something so that Californians don’t have to travel out of our area to celebrate (and no I don’t want to watch fireworks in martinez I want them here!) Lol

29 so what now? March 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Californians meant to be **claycordians

30 barn March 12, 2014 at 7:28 AM

bummer

31 Jim Shoes March 12, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Very disappointing.

32 Sorry about the name March 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM

@20
You wrote, I think if Jesus came back and saw what the Republicans are doing he would become a Democrat.

Thats really sad that you think Jesus picks sides, and it sounds like you are implying that only Republicans are religious. Thats not far to say about your brother and sisters that are Democrats, or any other political group.
Thats very judgemental.

33 JET March 12, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Thank you for the show each year, as a homeowner in the neighborhood next to the park, we enjoyed it. On a different note, thank you for no longer filling our neighborhood with endless cars, people, noise and chaos surrounding this event every year. This event started out as a nice neighborhood thing years back, but has TOTALLY outgrown that park, and it is not suitable for this any longer.

34 JSS March 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I know they handed a program out every year & in there was a envelope to donate to the cost. I wonder how many truly helped? I know many years we didn’t. I believe if every family would’ve contributed $5-10 it would’ve paid for itself. I would pay a fee to attend to bad they didn’t they that before canceling the whole program. My kids are going to be very disappointed they lived going early getting the blanket down. So sad

35 Kathy March 12, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Sad to see it go but Ican understand the church wanting to reallocate its resources to other tangible efforts with their ministries. Thanks to all the volunteers over the years! Loved the program. It will be missed.

36 GoGo Gomez March 12, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Fing sucks ! This show will be missed.

37 Dave March 12, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I have to agree with Jet #33 it was a nice show but as one who lives close to the event those three days of traffic and parking had just got to be to big to handle at that park anymore. Thank you for 25 years Calvery Temple Church.

38 The Turftek March 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Thank you Calvary Temple!!! so sad today as a lifelong resident of concord this event has played a large part in my life.my wife and my first date over 14 years ago and we have made it our family 4th tradition all 3 nights every year since. my 12 year old daughters first time being when my wife was just 3 months along. and as a business owner i would have no problem with doing my part to ensure that this family tradition to continues. i grew up in the neighborhood next to the park and my mother still owns a home there she is 87 years old and can’t even go to the event but still allows people to park in front of her house to be there!

39 Dave March 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM

So sad that most every topic get replies from trolls that turn things in a political issue. It’s always the fault of the other political party. It’s a big reason I don’t visit this site very often. I read the FB posts from Claycord, but that’s because people would have to post using their own name and face.

40 Mimi (original) March 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Even when I was unable to make it all the way to the park I would watch the fireworks from the curb of an adjoining street and thoroughly enjoy the show! Now I’ll have to travel out of Claycord to see fireworks – DARN!

41 They cancelled it ... March 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

to avoid offending Illegal Aliens…….

42 @ Sorry About The Name March 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM

“Thats [sic] really sad that you think Jesus picks sides,”

Not wanting to start a fight, but to say Jesus didn’t pick sides is like saying snow is not white. Not only did He pick sides, He defined a whole new side. His side was against many of the established traditions and religious beliefs of the time.

And I am well aware that not just Republicans are religious. It’s just that conservative Republicans are the ones most likely to shove their religious beliefs down everyone’s throat. What is good for them needs to be good for everyone. Case in point, Texas [a religious, conservative state, just closed most women’s clinics in the state because the conservative’s religion doesn’t believe in abortion, so no one should get an abortion. They believe in the biblical story of creation so it should be included in school textbooks so everyone can be taught their beliefs Interesting to note that no other religions stories of creation are included.

And before you start, I have no problem teaching the story of creation, just not in Science class. Science doesn’t start with a truth and then go about proving it and disregarding or changing anything that goes against that truth [example; God made the "appearance of age" so things appear older than what they are] Teach creation in Philosophy class along with all other stories of creation.

43 Audrey March 12, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Just because Calvery Temple isn’t going to do it doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen!

44 Connie Dobbs March 12, 2014 at 9:16 AM

How many years’ UI benefits should Uncle Sugar provide, #20?

45 itsme March 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Thank you Calvary Temple for so many years of a safe patriotic family event. I will miss going over there at 6am to stake out our spot. I will miss the teary eyes I got when the military was honored. I will miss the goosebumps on my arms when the firefighters and police drove their vehicles on the stage. I will miss the pride I felt when the workers of America were paid tribute to. I will miss the chuckles and smiles when the Flintstones and other characters did their bits. Can you tell that I’m sad?
Thank you again!

46 jill March 12, 2014 at 9:18 AM

People should have donated… I always put at lease 20 bucks in their barrels as I would watch 100s walk buy without putting in a single cent. Nothing’s free. Sad to see it go. I was such a great event to look forward to each summer

47 Bishop Estates March 12, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Thank you Calvary Temple for years of enjoyment. The show will be missed, it really brought the best out in the community with good wholesome fun.

48 Sarah March 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I wish is that another organization or the City if Concord will put on an event or at least a fireworks display for the fourth! I don’t want to go anywhere else :(

49 Sarah March 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM

My wish is that another organization or the City Of Concord will put on an event or at least a fireworks display for the fourth! I don’t want to go anywhere else

50 GoodGrief March 12, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Seems odd. I wonder if the city raised a permit fee or tried to charge more for the cops that had to staff this? Maybe their insurance rates became unmanageable? Maybe there were too many rowdy drunks there? Whatever it is thank you for the 25 years of fireworks!

51 LOUIE March 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Thank You for all the wonderful memories. It will be missed dearly.

52 joni spiegel March 12, 2014 at 9:37 AM

me and my family have been going to the singing flag 20 years, We would get up every morning at 530 to get our spot on the lawn, it was a family tradition.please don’t take the flag away let us have one more year’…….please!!!!!

53 Olivetta Chavez March 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Thank you for nothing but good memories around and on Independence Day. We missed it our first year in 2000 but did see the fireworks. I’ve been going every year since 2001 with family, friends, and sometimes by myself, having a wonderful, entertaining, patriotic time on mostly hot summer nights. You’ve blessed the community. I thank you.

54 City Girl March 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM

OH NO!!! This is INCREDIBLY sad!!! This is one event that I absolutely love. My kids are grown now, bur I have dreamed about bringing my grandchildren someday.

No matter how many times I saw the show, the patriotic songs, skits and music, The Pledge of Allegiance and the introductions of the members of the military ALWAYS made me cry. I have tears now.

55 The City should not be invovlved March 12, 2014 at 9:57 AM

in any attempt to replace the Singing Flag. It simply cannot afford such a luxury.

I really liked the Singing Flag, we went for several years and then it got so crowded that it was no longer fun.

If donations did not produce the results the Church needed, then I can see the need to cancel the event. It all boils down to the money.

Neither the Church or the City can afford to sponsor events like this on their own.

56 Shelly March 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Yeah, maybe if more of us had donated when they passed the hat.

57 Cancellation at this late date means great difficulty in anyone else March 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

scheduling an event for the 4th. They should have cancelled much sooner, to allow for Concord to have time to plan an alternative. However, I agree that fireworks are a HUGE waste of money, whether taxpayer money or private organization, and I applaud their decision to redeploy their funds for more worthy causes.

58 landana March 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

@42.
I’m a democrat so I guess I would not be voting for Jesus.
I think Jesus would do what he believes is right, i don’t think he would say he was a republican. Of course he would have an option on issue and would probably lean one one. Things are different now days, he might even try to unite the two party’s and not pass judgment that one is better than the other. He might even think it was silly that we have separated so much.

59 jp5air March 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

A source told me Calvary Temple was spending close to $300K to put this on each year. Not a small investment. The city provided the police coverage but they have no budget to pay for it beyond that.

The city is interested in having a fireworks celebration, but the funds will most likely need to come from corporate or other sponsors.

60 Diane Kennedy March 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I am so sorry to see it go – it was the only place that I have been for the 4th that actually celebrated and honored our Veteran’s. This always made the show exceptional and special. My Dad was born on the 4th of July and was very patriotic, so the Singing Flags became very special to our family. In 2011 my 84 year old Mother came to the show with us when she was visiting. My children and grandchildren and neighborhood children all came with us each year. So many wonderful memories and so much honor for our Veteran’s. It will leave a huge hole in this community.

61 Castellammarese March 12, 2014 at 10:33 AM

This is sad news. The singing flag was an annual family tradition. I am one of the ones who came out at 4:30 am annually on the 4th to reserve a prime spot. As many have said it was good clean wholesome family fun – no alcohol was allowed and there were never issues with crowds and most importantly CPD did a great job of controlling crowds when it would let out so that we could all make it home safely.

As a military vet, I was always very appreciative when Calvary would honor my brothers and sisters in the military (past and present). While my kids have grown I used to wonder how much longer I could keep this tradition going but won’t have to wonder any longer.

Again sad day in Concord but THANK YOU CT for the great family memories and for all that you and your great staff did for us!

62 cg March 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM

So sorry to see it end. It seems to me that the church could of given more advance notice so other organizations or the City of Concord could work out something to replace the singing flag. It is so nice to see the fireworks and it brings the community together and it brings in money to the business’s near the event. It has been a part of my life for the past 25 years and sad to see it end so abruptly.

63 DM March 12, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Ok mayor. Time for a donation page or SOMETHING to keep this going. I’d gladly donate $50 right now!

64 momfor2 March 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM

@living in claycord get a job and support yourself and kids or better yet do not have kids if you can not afford them! I am so tired of the entitlement bull! It is not the governments job or the churches job to feed you and your kids!

65 @ #18 Former Law-Guy March 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Ditto! Very well said.

66 momfor2 March 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

@ Sorry About The Name get your facts straight Texas is not completely against abortion they did not want abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy to be legal and they wanted all clinics to be within a small mileage from a hospital and affiliated with a hospital so they would not have the massacres like what happened in Pennsylvania where that doctor delivered live babies and cut their spines after birth!

67 Please City of Concord - Take it Over! March 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I agree with previous comment: “Okay city of concord you have big shoes to fill….I hope the council decides to do something so that Claycordians don’t have to travel out of our area to celebrate (and no I don’t want to watch fireworks in martinez I want them here!) Lol”

PLEASE CITY OF CONCORD or some other group, please keep the fire works in our neighborhood, we love them, families love them, it’s such a wonderful thing. Please somebody continue the efforts!!!

68 Grumpling March 12, 2014 at 11:04 AM

COOL! And good riddens

69 Scrappy March 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Yes it did cost around $300,000 to put on every year. The sad thing is that people didn’t donate enough to keep it going AND help the poor, homeless etc. so choosinng to help the less fortunate won. Thank you Calvary Temple for everything!

70 Diane Freet March 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Oh, WOW! That will leave a huge hole in our 4th of July!! We soooo appreciate the many years of dedication and work to bring such a meaningful event to our community… may God continue to bless this church richly as they move forward into other ministries.

71 Sofa King March 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM

About time. I find a church-sponsored, über-patriotic display on public property fairly distasteful.

72 jmz March 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I attend Calvary Temple church. I never went to the flad before, except for last year. It was my first time and my boys enjoyed it. I wish they would fdo it for one more year. :(

73 Amy March 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I am sad this happy, safe and patriotic annual event will be discontinued. It made me proud. Many thanks for all the years of a really special Independence Day event you gave us for 25 years.

74 Cowellian March 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Grumpling, what in the world is a riddens?

75 GoGo Gomez March 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Still like this shot Killjoy!

76 Chester March 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM

@ Sofa King … I find your comment distasteful.

77 Julio March 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I am more disappointed in what some of you have said than the cancelling of the singing flag. Best wishes Calvary and thank you.

78 Mr. Pink March 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM

And in 25-years I have never seen the Singing Flag. Guess I missed my chance.

79 CT Member March 12, 2014 at 1:26 PM

As a church member and long time flag volunteer, I want to thank all the readers who have posted such nice, thoughtful comments. It breaks our hearts too, to lose such a wonderful tradition! The money and hours spent on the production were worth it, and we pray that our new endeavors will be just as rewarding for us!

80 Suzanne March 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Going to miss the singing flag, thank you for the many years of joy.

81 Cash March 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I know mine is an unpopular view, but the noise of the fireworks, and not just for the 4th, but for all the nights of the show, scared my dog so badly that I had to sedate her or she would hurt herself or escape from the house and yard in terror. This meant I could not go out on any of the nights of the show, as I had to be here to monitor the dog. She’s a shelter dog I adopted, and is just very fearful of noise. I hope the city doesn’t decide to start up its own display. If it does, I hope it is far from residential neighborhoods.

82 Hump Day March 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM

This is heartbreaking. What a wonderful tradition. Thank you Calvary Temple for all the joy you provided the community on the 4th of July.

83 another Flag lover March 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM

The Flag:
took over 500 volunteers
took 7 months of preparation (casting, etc began in January)
Cost was previously alluded to (not $1000s, not $10,000s but multi $100,000s)
requires set up at the park two weeks prior to show dates
about a 50 person choir, additional cast and crew of about 100
the City of Concord doesn’t provide anything for free

It was not a lack of donations, it was not the church being in a bad financial position, not something fishy, not a scandal, not burnout, not the City of Concord giving our church a hard time, not complaints from a few about the impact on the area, and absolutely nothing political. The truth was told about why the decision was made.

I’m sad, very sad, to see it end. I was blessed to sing in the 14th annual Singing Flag. I have most of my close family members and of course so many fellow church friends who’ve been involved for years. It was a tradition for all of us and it is a big loss of tradition. Personally, I’d love to see another group ask to take this on- but see above and get an idea of how big a job it really is. It is very big. Maybe it could happen, that’d be great, wouldn’t it? But it is not going to be the City of Concord itself- there’s no infrastructure to do that in place.

As Lynda Reynolds explained at the city council meeting, CTC is shifting to compassion outreach and justice ministries (human trafficking is explicitly one of them). What might some of those things look like? Well, for the past two years we’ve done a program called Harvest to Home. In November we bought, packed, and delivered over 300 complete Thanksgiving meals to needy families in nearby communities (Concord, Pittsburg, and Bay Point). Last year a new ministry was started that focuses on doing laundry for the homeless and providing them with a meal while we wash their clothing (and provide items like socks, etc). Currently we’re working for the upcoming Convoy of Hope event.

Next month we are hosting East Bay Convoy of Hope. We’ve already been in preparation mode, assembling hopefully about 1000 volunteers and reaching out to those in need in our communities here in the CoCoCo East Bay. We aim to reach any family or person who need help- Convoy is a job fair, free groceries, free lunch for those who come, free haircuts, free medical and dental screenings, working with many social services providers and groups to hook folks up with ongoing help/services, family photos, prayer, and a kidszone for a day of fun.

84 Kelly March 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Wow, so sad to hear this was cancelled; thank you for the good times.

85 Amy March 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

@Cash #81. Good point! Pets always freak out on July 4th. I don’t live near the Singing Flag either, but I have to be home because my neighbors have their own fire crackers and it’s usually really dry, too, so there is a fire danger.

86 CaliMom March 12, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I am really sad to see this go. I think the Flag had a bigger outreach impact to the community than the church has recognized. It potentially could have been a great platform to introduce their new missions and ask for community support.

And – if they posted a GoFundMe link to preserve the event I am sure the community would have stepped up and covered the whole cost.

87 Judge Roy Bean March 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Charge $3 a head and keep it going.
Always a family function for 1-2 shows depending on who is visiting.
This will be sadly missed.

88 Concord Mom March 12, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for many wonderful memories and best wishes to the future ministries of this church.

89 past Community Member March 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Unity among community members always brings about more charity and service to those in need. Its sad that this won’t be happening anymore, because there is very very little that exists in that area that actually DOES bring people together.

90 Happy One March 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Another Flag Lover #83. The Singing Flag was an enormous undertaking. I completely understand how Calvary Temple Church leadership could decide that the effort and money might be better spent on ministries more closely aligned with the church’s core values and goals. Like any well run organization, Calvary Temple has to take a step back every once in a while and decide if it is spending its money and time in the wisest way.

While it’s sad for the community to lose this celebration, it’s good for the community in other ways as church members are committed to using that time and money in other worthwhile projects such as the East Bay Convoy of Hope.

91 thanks for the memories.... March 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Thank you to everyone who put endless hours making the singing flag possible. We attended year after year. It was a place families could go and celebrate and if they didn’t know the history of our great nation. I always loved the looks on the kids faces as the sky lit up and so did their faces. Again thank you!

92 Tom March 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

The Singing Flag outgrew the venue. When I first moved to the adjoining neighborhood, the stage was set up on July first. Recently, it gets set up 2-3 weeks early, with the temporary fencing, etc. As they started checking out the equipment, it went later into the evening, sometimes past 9pm. The spectators that park in our neighborhoods have little or no patience after the performance, and go racing down our streets. Large audience venues belong elsewhere.

93 Bailey March 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Another Flag lover 83: I totally get and understand what you are saying, it makes sense. I will very much miss the Singing Flag, and one reason I will tell you is this: it was so, so nice to have a low cost family event (I know it was free but we always threw at least $5 into the donation bins) in Concord. I hear what you are saying about outreach, and there are definitely needier families than me, but I, like many, many people in Concord, am not below the poverty line but still struggle every month. It’s too bad now that the only people who ever get anything free or close to it are only those in the worst shape possible (I realize that doesn’t sound very charitable). If I quit my job and my husband only worked part time, or if we had more kids than we could afford (we purposely stopped at 2 because of money concerns) than we would qualify for a ton of free stuff: free lunches, free daycare, free healthcare, free handouts from well-meaning churches like yours.
I don’t expect any of those things, but having a wonderful event like the Singing Flag, where you could go and really enjoy the holiday, and it cost you very little money, was pretty precious to us. Just because you are not helping the people who you assume need it the most doesn’t mean you aren’t doing a little bit of good for a greater amount of people. Well, thanks for the years anyway. I hope the City will pick up the slack but I’m doubtful it will.

94 Bailey March 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Clarification: I did not intend for my thank you to sound off-hand. I realize the Singing Flag took an enormous amount of money, time and resources. We thoroughly enjoyed it every year for the 9 years we attended, so truly, thank you to the church. Sad to see it go but really appreciate what we received.

95 Beverly March 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Calvary Temple never made a dime from the Singing Flag. It was all about outreach, and a safe place that the entire family could go, to celebrate our countries ‘birthday. I will miss this event. My kids have seen the show and fireworks, over the years, so have my Grandchildren. I have even been there to help out with the event.

The church sees the need to help those that need help, and will spend the money there. That is, after all, what a church does. Helps the needy.

96 Your Sissy March 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Thank you Calvary Temple for your contribution to the Claycord community over last 25 years. My family and I live next door to the park. When we bought our house we didn’t know it came with a fireworks display. My husband and I started our family much later then most of our family and friends, and so bought a home later in life. Being part of a community is still new as we never put down roots before the kids.

So while it is somewhat noisy, and sometimes inconvenient at times, 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays.
Your family and friends come over for a major event without the pressure of gift giving. Everyone brings their favorite dish, and you all get to enjoy each others company. And in some cases meet new people who came back yearly or more often. So in the end isn’t that what life is all about? Not where the fire works are or what the better off have to put up with the less fortunate, or where the church allocates its funds, or who belongs to what party or other. Any PARTY!
It’s about US! And how we treat each other. How we choose to see ourselves and others as our community. How we say hello to a stranger in front of our house are friendly or suspicious? do we choose to be alone? Who do you want to be in life? To help? Stand for? Protect? Love?
Have faith my friends. Nothing is forever!
We’ve had at least 25 years to learn this one small lesson.

97 Lisa March 12, 2014 at 5:25 PM

To Connie Dobbs: That’s all you can say? You complain about traffic that happens a few days a year and you don’t care about the meaning of the singing flag. Very selfish only caring about waiting a few extra minutes to get to nowhere.

98 A.bond March 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM

SOOO mad!!!! How could you stop singing flag !!! ONLY thing in this town thats great to do on 4th of july

99 Jim March 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM

@Living in Claycord…puleese…there is some 9 billion going to just one program…and it bankrupted the state to blame the conservatives is the stupidest comment I’ve ever read…the problem is more and more liberals think it’s okay to quit work and follow their “dream” on the government payroll that has burdened the system…Have you not seen the government debt?

100 Jim March 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM

and although I know Claycord is now involved in bringing the event downtown it still will not be the same family friendly event…Downtown is a “hole”…plain and simple…a “pit” of decay and urban blight…the park was beautiful setting…kids running around…people actually talking…a musicla review with a message that hits home….remember no mixing of church and state on public lands…IT WAS NEVER JUST ABOUT THE FIREWORKS…it was about family…Well there goes another family friendly event…how terribly sad

101 ANNONeeemoose March 12, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Maybe if they do it right it will also be a big family event. Have to have a better venue than Todos Santos though if that is what they mean by “downtown.” Maybe Mt. Diablo HS field? Have a mini kidfest, booths, jump houses, food vendors. Heck combine it with a food truck gala! Done right this could be even better than the Singing Flag, I’m all for a secular celebration and not the church doing it.

102 Atticus Thraxx March 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM

It’s one thing to he shrill Lisa. But try and grasp context. Seriously, you cannot be that dim.

103 Connie Dobbs March 12, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I take it you’re new here, Lisa. Every year around Singing Flag time there are complaints about the noise and the parking. The fireworks scare peoples’ pets. The rehearsals are just murder to hear. Driveways are blocked and yards are littered. Substantial dander is raised. Well, now those people can have their nice quiet neighborhood with its ample off-street parking all to themselves all of the time and isn’t that lovely for them.

Now you can go back and read the other 95 comments. Go lecture them.

104 Puddintain March 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Oh for heaven’s sake Atticus Thraxx, DON’T POKE THAT NASTY TROLL!

105 Marianne March 12, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The Concord annual 4th of July is cancelled…does that mean we can shoot off fireworks at our house?

106 Dr. Dick March 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Why do we have the Concord Pavillion if we never use it?????? This event outgrew the neighborhood years ago. The Pavillion could hold everyone with comfort, easy parking and good viewing. No more getting up a sparrows fart to save space with your blanket!

107 Killjoy March 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Thanks GoGo.

108 crazytech58 March 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Hope they can move it to a better place, as I NEVER liked the traffic, road closures, and extra police work that this caused….. Pavilion would be better suited to handle all this

109 ! Salute ! March 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I absolutely love The Singing Flag, but this is a bittersweet end. Something had to give, it was too successful. I don’t know if it would be same at The Pavilion or another venue. Also, who knows how long they could keep it up, keep up the magic, the passion, the hi-camp? I’m glad they finished strong, finished on top. We are all richer for having gone, it was a special time and a special place. They showed us that a dedicated group of individuals can create something truly wonderful that is blessing to many, many people. God Bless the Calvary Temple. What a class act.

110 Atticus Thraxx March 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

My bad.Advice taken.

111 dree March 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Could someone explain what justice ministry means?

112 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Maybe we can get Elton John or George Michael to put on the show instead?

113 Sal Belleci March 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Thank you Calvary Temple for the past 25 years. I will miss the singing flag very much. Your Church and it’s congregation are a class act second to none. God bless you in your future endeavors.

114 Nite Owl March 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

DJ it is “The Singing Flag”
“Flag”

115 Lisa March 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM

New here Connie Dobbs? I’ve lived here since 1965 so put a sock in it and grow the hell up.

116 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Oh… yeah, sorry.

117 Puddintain March 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Troll, that’s a BIG improvement over your standard “STFU”.

118 Susan March 13, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I’ve been here since 1965, and never seen the like. Get a life not mine; or you have no other.

119 Susan March 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM

If you are soooo big, get off me!

120 Connie Dobbs March 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM

You started with me, cupcake.

121 Cowellian March 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Lisa, you are new to Claycord and you’ve chosen a fairly unpleasant way to introduce yourself.

122 Susan March 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Dr. Jellyfinger, your turn is tonight and Sunday. Don’t worry, that thing will get you off-if it can get you hard.

123 Uncle Sam II March 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

The overwhelming positive response shown on ClayCord.com humbles those of us who had any part in its 25 seasons. By the way, Dave Brubeck Park was the original venue for Concord Jazz Festival; aside from parking issues it remains well suited for such purposes. The expenses of the event were covered by Calvary Temple (CT) and included rental of the park itself, police staffing, parking space at Concord High School, sound equipment, lighting, costumes, music performance rights/royalties, security staffing, the choir flag structure, Kids Zone inflatables, storage facilities, temporary structures and enclosures, and on and on.. Although there was some discussion and consideration of moving the event to The Pavilion (recently “Sleep Train Pavilion”) CT resisted such a move due to the mandatory parking charges they wished to avoid. It also should be mentioned that contract provisions make Pavilion a VERY expensive venue unless parking fees and high admissions are paid. CT intended for this event to be free of admission charge, thus ruling out Pavilion. Could this change? Perhaps. But it seemed necessary for CT to devote a greater share of resources to outreach ministries other than that represented by The Flag especially given the economic realities since 2008. Was The Flag fun for those of us taking part? Yes, as the successor to our Original Uncle Sam let me assure readers here that it was a tremendous kick to make that appearance as the symbol for our Republic and its Constitutionally-limited government in this celebration of God and Country. We trust that parents will seek to instill godly and patriotic values in their own children, to be passed along to yet other generations that they may understand and appreciate the admonition by President John Adams that our form of government is suited only for those who adhere to the longstanding moral traditions of Jews and Christians..

124 Cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz March 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM

@ Uncle Sam II #123 – Thank you for your well written response. Thank-you for staying on topic and explaining the facts in thought out manner. More on Claycord should follow your example instead of whining and sniping.

125 Thank You uncle Sam II!! March 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM

So very well expressed.

126 Puddintain March 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Many names & headings; same writing style or lack there of = 1 nasty troll. Not yet sure if it’s male or female, leaning towards prissy male, but in any case, pretty much an it.

127 Connie Dobbs March 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

#123 What about the Martinez Marina? They already host a fireworks show and those of us who live downtown are accustomed to the occasional event restricting on-street parking.

128 Wildcat March 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Justice Ministry from what I understand is ministry for those in human trafficing situations.

129 Mrs. B March 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Thank you, Calvary Temple for your many years of service on the 4th of July. For many years this has been our family tradition, and many happy memories. God bless you as you invest your time, energy, talents and money into other ventures for His work.

130 ZuZupetals March 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM

We are going to miss the Singing Flag after attending for 25 years. I understand CT decision and have great respect for their church for the huge undertaking of hosting such an event. God Bless and Love in Christ!

131 RC March 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM

1. THANK YOU CALVARY TEMPLE for all of your blood, sweat and tears for 25 years! I attended most of those 25 and always enjoyed the hard work and effort that entertained thousands.
2.THANK YOU CONCORD CITY COUNCIL for allowing the public acknowledgement of Our Savior, Jesus Christ. I think that amazed me the most! If there were any protests to acknowleging our faith, I certainly didn’t hear of it.
3. I am not sure what political parties have to do with any of this. I am sure there are many members of CT, residents and police officers and council members and military, that have many friends of a differing political party. And yes, if Jesus could make man change, I am sure there would NOT be any different parties, NO WAR, NO DISCRIMINATION etc., because we as individuals have to answer to HIM on Judgement Day and no one else!
4. Thank you to former law guy, who spelled it out for all of us. Those that want to be help are or will be. The others have to be prayed for.
5. Whatever, CT does with their funds, I am sure it will be much better spent on humankind, than on a fun show for all of us who can find more beneficial things to do. Perhaps, if you don’t have a church, you might think about going to CT. I have friends there and it is truly a wonderful place to connect with God!
That’s it!

132 MsBling March 13, 2014 at 8:03 PM

#59 the amount of $300K is just that, a rumor. While the city did charge an extremely high amount of money for the police, the permits, etc. It was not even $50K. Everyone is saying the city should do something or take over the event…keep in mind CT always promoted this event as a gift to the community. So being as their “gift” overtook a whole park and surrounding neighborhoods, the city had no choice but to provide traffic directions, road closures, etc. You see all those officers out there during the them.event, someone has to pay their salaries. The cost of the fireworks are what really cost, However they did make a lot of money to offset costs as well through concessions and souvenirs.
The flag had a good run but it is time for something fresh.
If anyone wants to see a good show, The Martinez Marina puts on a great show!
Now for July 4th you can go to the Dave Brueback park and enjoy a BBQ without someones feet in your face :)

133 Adios March 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

and good riddense!! this political and religious propaganda has been making me ill for 25 years. lets hope the city does ‘step up’ and poor our hard earned tax dollars into this tripe.. LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO

134 Cowellian March 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Riddense?

135 Grammy March 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Very confused?
How do you hold an event to raise money for,” The a singing Flag.”
Collect the money, then cancel?
Calvary Temple Church would not pull a stunt like this.
I’m sure they meant this would sadly be the last year for ,” The Singing Flag”.