PHOTO: A Message to the “Dirtbags” from the Joan & La Vista Ave. Neighborhood

March 10, 2014 · 67 comments

lavista

This photo pretty much speaks for itself.

There really aren’t too many neighbors who watch out for each other like the neighbors near Joan & La Vista Ave. in Concord, and this message, which was spotted on a telephone pole in the neighborhood, is proof.

Thanks to Cal for sending sharing the photo.

1 Fun time today March 10, 2014 at 8:26 AM

That helps so much. Know your neighbors. For at least to watch out, know who belongs etc.. Then someone will always be around even when you are n vacation or work, watching. Reitred people are great to have Around. Even if you do not get along, you should talk, and even that working together can help relations. We have many eyes here, and rarely does anything or anyone get by unnoticed. Also cameras are cheap now. An officer gave me a few tips. There are police officers that are in charge of areas in Martinez at least you can get to know, talk to. A lot of common sense goes a long way though. I wasd concerned when some guy simply who had a truck with a tow hitch on it and a repo shirt on, no papers, came in here like he owned the place, would not tell me what he was doing. this is a private road as well. I called police. Police came turned it on me, like I was a dead beat and this guy was doing his job. He tried to hook up to my nieghbiors car, which I foudll out was his sisterts and aid for, never found out who that guy was. It was not right. So now what do I do if it happens again? I am going to talk to the police chief and find out. You have no papers, or officer with you, come and try to hook up to a car on our property, I guess I will call 911 again or try to stop it myself. I was very unhappy this could happen. Most cops in the MPD are great, a couple are very bad though, and unfortunately one who I know hates me showed up that day. Sucked. . So basically I can put on a shirt and go tow away peoples cars at will with no papers and they can do nothing within the law to stop me? WHAT??? On their property??? HEll no..

2 Good neighbor March 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Olive Dr neighbors do!!

3 Beacon March 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

An unfortunate necessity, but why that neighborhood? People are selling because others are buying. Either the buyers or sellers must live nearby. It seems the cockroaches could be identified and squashed.

4 Neighborhood watch training March 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I know WCPD will provide neighborhood watch training. I’m sure Concord would probably do the same…. Get to know your neighbors better. It can only help, right?

5 cf March 10, 2014 at 8:33 AM

A volunteer from Concord PD came out to our neighborhood to talk about Neighborhood Watch. This was followed up by an officier several weeks later. This was followed by installation of Neighborhood Watch signs in our neighborhood. More information here:

In addition, most of us are also members of our neighborhood’s Nextdoor group. This is a virtual Neighborhood Watch where we can all communicate realtime via computer, smartphones/tablets. There is also a Nextdoor App for your phones. Only people in a given neighborhood can join. We have used it several times alerting our neighbors of suspicious persons going door to door (e.g. guy ran doorbells saying that he needs money, then changed the story slightly for the next house). We called 911 and CPD came out an escorted him out of our neighborhood. Have also used it for lost/found dogs in our neighborhood.

6 Han Solo March 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM

How about knocking on there window and asking them what there doing on your street. ?

7 nytemuvr March 10, 2014 at 8:53 AM

You should print it in like 300 size font and make the message shorter, their not going to stop and read all of it. Might want to use very simple words too. Plus when it rains it’ll run and be unreadable. Good idea though.

8 Good! March 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM

It’s great to see people being proactive for once and trying to make a real difference, instead of the usual “get a club and hide your valuables” BS.

9 Crankcord Doug March 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I’m certain realtors will highlight this sign when they sell homes in this neighborhood. Nothing says ‘classy’ like a handwritten poster directed at drug addicts and prostitutes stapled to a telephone pole.

10 Chevrolet girl March 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Nice! We look out for each other here in the state streets too! You have to now days!

11 Cowellian March 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM
12 Neighbor March 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Love it!

13 boccegrl March 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Way to take a stand , You may also ask the
Concord PD for a neighbor Watch sign as well.
They work well in Martinez and can never have
To many eyes watching out for all Our neighbors

14 Bishop Estates March 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Good for them! Neighbors need to look out for each other

15 oscar March 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM

rillyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

16 duck danial; March 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

good neighbor hood

17 bela510 March 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

This is great to see. I’ve also noticed a large amount of neighbors who have installed security cameras. Hope these thugs get a clue and move on!

18 Freedom of choice March 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM

How rude the nice gentleman, or as you say low life was probably lost or looking for his buddy’s house. You can’t assume everyone is out to get you. You should have made conversation with the nice man. Ask if he needed help.

19 Cowellian March 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Do you need help finding your way out of this neighborhood?

20 Just me March 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Growing up we had one of those people that new everyones business, but when we were all moved away I was so glad she was still there because she was the one who kept mom safe when she was living alone.
Those nosey neighbors are the best to have around.

21 Always good to have a March 10, 2014 at 10:14 AM

block party too. Invite all the neighborhood. Get to know one another.

Set up a table for free gun cleaning and ammunition swap.

Great neighborhood event.

22 Cy Nical March 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM

You’re forgetting that the dirtbags probably don’t know how to read.

23 Anon March 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Niceeee

24 The4thBore March 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Unfortunately the location of this neighborhood is the reason for the spike in crime. You have scummy motels within walking distance, and also are on a route parallel to Clayton Road where CPD patrols most often.

Residents of this neighborhood should pressure the City Manager to consider speed control, lighting enhancements, and expanding the sidewalks to encourage more bicycle and pedestrian use on this road. This combination along with residents adding protection to their properties will reduce the recent crime spurt.

25 just a concordian March 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

In my opinion the Neighborhood Watch sign is too mellow. Just a couple of eyes looking… That is no deterrent! I propose a new sign. Goes something like this:

Welcome to Our Neighborhood
Our Crime Fighting Checklist

✓ Dogs
✓ Guns
✓ Cameras
✓ Alarms
✓ Camaraderie

26 Marianne March 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

We always watch each others backs in our neighborhood!!!

27 Shirley Wilson March 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

We owned our home on La Vista Ave. in the early 1960’s. At that time it was a rural, peaceful neighborhood. I suppose all things change with time but it saddens me to know that where my children waited for the school bus on La Vista and Joan Ave. has now become an area that attracts drugs.

28 Marianne March 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Our neighborhood watch is very active. We don’t have many problems here, especially since there are cameras on many of the houses.

29 Rob March 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I doubt that reading is a strong suit of the jerks that are casing the neighborhood.

30 great sign March 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I guess my entry was too real, just telling my true feelings. Doesn’t make me bad, just tired of the scum crawling into our country.

31 tired of taxes March 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Kudos to neighbors watching out for each others’ backs.
Real estate values are only a concern if you’re going to sell. It you’re staying put, this sign works wonders.
Besides, used house sellers can always drive to the house from another street or distract their potential victi… err clients with small talk/banter while driving to the property.

32 The only thing that will really deter these Maggots.... March 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM

is to see the Rotting Corpse of one of their cronies stapled to a telephone pole…

33 warbirds45 March 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM

New California Law should be passed, after the 3rd phone call to law enforcement, the next call goes to Sonny Barger and Company.

34 Suzanne March 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Way to keep the trash out of your neighborhood! We need more of this all the way around!

35 Lavista res March 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I know that people have been using the area for illegal things for a long time someone used to to donuts in the salvation army parking lot and they had to change the intersection of joan and lavista cause people just speed through the area.

36 Monday, Monday March 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Get to know your neighbors, and watch out for each other.

As far as the sign……I understand the message, I don’t recommend the approach.

The sign is classless, and I would be very embarrassed to have that in my neighborhood. It’s ineffectual. Criminals are probably laughing at it.

I do recommend taking back your neighborhood. It’s all about the approach. Use good judgment.

But if this sign made he/she feel better, it’s their neighborhood, not mine. Who knows. Maybe it will work.

37 Kirkwood March 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM

The “Neighborhood Watch” sign on my street was stolen.

38 great sign March 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Please install signs like this on all ports of entry. In every language.

39 Doug Heffernan March 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM

The sign is very tacky and explains what’s in the neighborhood.
Birds of a feather!

40 Rick March 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Hopefully this sign doesn’t have the opposite effect.

41 Craig Cannon March 10, 2014 at 12:50 PM

It’s Amazing what Secuity Cameras Pick Up. I make a Few of them Very Obvious from The Street. Others, Not So. I’ve Seen a Thug Trying To Break Into My Car in The Driveway, Warned Him Off. Also, a Neigbor I Don’t Exacly Along With, had His Truck Tried. I Warned That Thug Off Too. A Gun Was Near, but I didn’t Bring it Out. Simply Letting them know you “See” Them, Saying “The Police Are Called”, Worked Twice in My Case. BEFORE I had to Use a Weapon, or Non-Lethal Force. Vigilance is the best Deterrent. Being a Day Sleeper, is Worrysome. If a Burglar Breaks In to The House, Words May Not be Enough. Avoid Deadly Force if Possible. Gets Messy I Hear….Camera’s Work!

42 Monday, Monday March 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Another reason I don’t agree with this approach is it could easily backfire. If someone is looking for sex and drugs, you’ve now let them know where they can find it.

This could easily “increase the wrong traffic.” Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. What were they thinking?

43 Nice idea but.... March 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Fairly certain those dirtbag meth heads can’t read.

44 anonanonagain March 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I live not too far from those streets. Markham park has long been used for drug sales and deadbeats. It’s about time someone took back the neighborhood. I’m sick of losers who can’t get their act together in life.

Have a drug problem?? Your life spiraling out of control and all your friends are scraping the barrel of life like yourself?? Seek some help…..If you don’t do it now in 25 years you will be old, frail, abused (by yourself and used up) and possibly living on the street with a liver that is fried……

45 Print it March 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I would only add that you PRINT the sign so easier to read and from a distance than a written sign. Be more visually pleasing to others than graffiti garage sale look..

46 just sayin March 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Vinnie & a guy named Tony Garcia… Biggest dope heads in the neighborhood.

47 Julie March 10, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Neighborhood Watch is a good thing, and so is getting to know your neighbors.

I don’t recommend you go about it in this manner. I’d be humiliated if family and friends arrived and drove by this sign.

It’s very tacky, and you’re opening Pandora’s Box if you’re not careful. You’re dealing with the criminal mindset.

Isn’t it illegal to post signs on a telephone pole? I question the mindset of the resident as much as the people they’re targeting.

48 Craig March 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM

This sign has “thanks for lowering my property value” written all over it.

As least words are spelled correctly.

Anything further said would be inappropriate and against my better judgment.

49 Knock Knock March 10, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Why isn’t it in Spangrish?

50 Sheila March 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM

If you insist on signs, I’d do them properly. I wouldn’t start out in a threatening manner. You lost me at “To the dirtbags.”

51 Lin March 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Yes we are starting a Neighborhood Watch. It is amazing how many of our neighbors came to the meeting about a zone change on La Vista showing support against it. We all watch out for each other and are taking back our neighborhood.

52 Matt March 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Call the police and request extra patrol. Police presence goes a long way.

Neighborhood watch. Know your neighbors, and keep an eye on each other.

The signs? Get real. It’s an empty threat, and it looks pathetic.

Unless you’re in crime ridden neighborhood where everyone this side of the Mississippi knows what’s going on anyway, all you’re doing is ticking off the drug dealers and telling kids that might not where to find drugs where they can find them. Great!

53 Lin March 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM

If we had the Concord police go through the Markum Park 4 to 5 times a day maybe the low life wouldn’t hang out there anymore, I know people that work for the parks department and are sick of it too!!!!!

54 Just Say No! March 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

The only way to get rid of drug dealers in the park is for people to stop buying drugs.

55 "Dirtbag" March 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I find this all quite funny.
I love markham nature park . I also love living in a very nice neighborhood far away from it.

56 Khloe March 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

In my opinion, They don’t drive their own cars. I believe They are either stolen or barrowed.

57 Claire March 10, 2014 at 8:17 PM

This is a great sign if you looking to impress the new boss. I hope nobody is entertaining tonight.

It’s a great conversation piece.

See you at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus and Saks!

58 Steve March 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Didn’t I see these same signs in Blackhawk?

59 Reality March 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Ignorance is bliss good thing you all have a clear view on reality lol

60 Lockness March 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM

catch these tweekers, i live in archstone walnut creek and 8 cars got broken into last night including mine. And the police said theres nothing we can do. sorry. Thats BS. if i catch them its over!!! be on the look out!!!

61 Julie March 10, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Archstone is an apt. complex on Treat, so putting your car in the garage isn’t an option.

Make sure you don’t leave ANYTHING in your vehicle. Use good judgment.

If anything was stolen, they will take a report. If nothing was stolen, there isn’t anything they can do. What do you want them to do? Go door to door looking for the thief?

Good luck!

62 Concord's number one resource appears to be "passive aggression"... March 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM

…with our second most plentiful resource being, “Internet tough guys”.

63 Come On Now March 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM

WTF? Connie, is that you? Wouldn’t is be easier if you just beat them up?

64 Peter Piles March 11, 2014 at 2:40 AM

People don’t know who is casing or just lost or even jst riding through the neighborhood either to get to the park or a friends house . your neighbors are not gonna get involved really when it comes down to it so the sign is just as ghetto as the trouble being caused.

65 dude March 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM

Looking out for your neighborhood is good but how many of us have had that weird lady in nature park come take pictures of you for no reason…not everyone around there is a criminal…

66 CCW March 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Should say they are armed. If you aren’t, you should be.

67 Quicksilver Kid March 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM

That is actually a nice neighborhood and the park is one of the best in Concord. I drive by there all the time, whenever I’ve been to the park I’ve never seen any problems. Anyone who thinks this is a bad part of town doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Maybe I missed it but has anyone said what really happened in this incident. Was a crime actually committed or are people exaggerating in order to put down Concord as many do on this site. Nothing wrong with neighborhood watch though.