Bonilla Introduces Bill Prioritizing Innovation, Training and Common Core Implementation in CA Classrooms

March 8, 2014 15:00 pm · 41 comments

Assemblywoman Susan A. Bonilla has announced that she has introduced legislation to create an innovation, training, and technology grant that will help schools with their common core implementation.

“Last year, as Chair of the Assembly Budget Subcommittee on Education Finance, I secured additional funding for Common Core implementation and technology investments to enable our schools to use computer adaptive assessments, and updated STEM based instructional models,” said Assemblywoman Bonilla. “I look forward to partnering with business leaders, school administrators, teachers, parents and students in building on this investment and expanding opportunities for these rewarding education programs.”

This legislation, AB 2319, will establish grants for California schools to implement common core, craft appropriate STEM curricula, provide for advanced professional development for teachers and staff, fund career technical education, and purchase advanced technology hardware and software essential to attain their innovation and training goals.

“With 7 out of 10 jobs today requiring proficiency in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, California must remain on the cutting edge of investment in our students, teachers and in-school technologies,” said Silicon Valley Leadership Group CEO, Carl Guardino. “Assemblywoman Bonilla is to be applauded for advancing this important conversation with the introduction of AB 2319. As we learn every day in Silicon Valley, game-changing innovation starts with bold ideas, big dreams, and concrete plans to get it done.”

“It is critical that our schools be adequately resourced to provide globally competitive graduates prepared and inspired by career fields that employers need. With this funding for professional development, digital learning tools and high capacity broadband, educators will be better able to develop the STEM savvy, creative problem-solvers that will close the Skills Gap,” said Jim Wunderman, President & CEO, Bay Area Council.

{ 41 comments }

1 funny man March 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

is this a political way of saying ‘teaching to the test’ cuz that **** aint workin if any of my younger coworkers are any proof. whatver they teach in school today DECREASE the kids intelligence!

2 Elwood March 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Common core translation:

We’re dooming an entire generation to ignorance.

3 Ted K., SuperMax March 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM

How about working on a bill which directly supports private sector job creation?

Grants (one-time monies) institutionalizes government-sponsored programs. When grant monies are no longer available, your political party calls it a “cut” which it is not. It’s a grant, not an entitlement.

4 anon March 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM

How many high school drop outs will this prevent? These kids on the edge need the most help and hope for a future.

5 Grumpy Old Man March 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM

One big steaming pile of democrap!

6 mutts March 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Try the three R’s, manners and discipline to start.

7 Total crap ! March 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Common Core is garbage. We’re on to it and it ain’t gonna fly. (Please excuse my old school grammar)

8 ClayDen March 8, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Abolish the Federal Department of Education and let the states and local communities decide what to teach and how to teach it.

9 A bill March 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM

that tells people to do what they would do normally if it were not for other bills that tell them not to.

And gullible people think there is good in all of this?

So much good that they leave the insanity to their own children.

10 Noj March 8, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Democrats need to control the minds of youngsters, who then grow up and think the sun revolves around the earth. Votes count. They are after your children.

11 KAD March 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

From what I have heard about the Common Core, it is not a good teaching method, at least not in math. The parents need to get involved if they want their children to have a good education. They need to teach them what the schools are not capable of doing. This is a sad, sad situation.

12 Dorothy March 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM

How about prioritizing teaching grade school kids to read with comprehension, do basic math without counting on their fingers, and spelling without spell check?

13 Phoenyx March 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Would someone who has school age children please explain to me what is so bad about Common Core? I work for a newspaper in another city, and as one of my duties I attend most of the school board meetings. Many of the teachers in that district seem to have embraced Common Core. It could be BS but the teachers that would report in the CCS in the board meetings claimed they could reach more students with that method.

I don’t have children, so I don’t know how the kids are really doing education-wise with this new standard.

14 Julio March 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Common Core is a bad thing for this whole country. We are not moving forward in education. We are creating another generation gap in education. My son never learned math because they changed what they were teaching 3 times in his K-12 education. Very sad for our children as well as our country as they will never catch up to China, Japan and many other countries.

15 Public School System...The Dumbing down of our Children March 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM

16 TinFoiler March 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

#12, Common Core is GARBAGE. Taking a Few steps back into caveman days. As this Parent Stood up and spoke about:

17 The Watcher March 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

@Julio… I hear you on the math bit. My kids are just about all grown now, and I’VE had figure out and relearn the language of math a few times because they keep changing it. And I’m decent at math. It’s the same math since at least the ancient Greeks over 2000 years ago, but they keep changing the language around it. I guess they have to create reasons to sell new books, new curricula, and more grant programs. A lot of subjects do change, do evolve, and do have new information that must be incorporated into the curriculum – math, not so much. Probably hasn’t changed since 10 to the negative trillion seconds or whatever after the big bang.

18 The Theorist March 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Doesn’t’ matter one iota what we the people think or want.
Politicians, more importantly their lobbyist handlers, and the corporations and unions that bought them are the ones with power.
Why are we letting corporations and unions dictate how and what our children learn?
Schools get paid for test scores and attendance? Whiskey tango foxtrot!
The system is broken and getting more corrupt by the minute.
Can we take it back? Do we even want too or have we been so placated by the constant barrage of political and corporate propaganda that our will for change has completely evaporated?

19 Matt March 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Julio, if your son never learned math, it’s because he didn’t want to. If a kid is struggling, you seek assistance from your teacher or parents. Or both. There’s always a tutor.

Kids don’t learn because they DON’T TRY!

20 Teacher Wannabe March 8, 2014 at 10:55 PM

@#1, 2 15, etc. THAT’S the whole point of Bonilla’s bill, to make education more effective. Obviously something needs fixing, and this a start in the right direction.

@#8, No, we NEED a federal standard, one that is not being followed right now, so a child from California can go to North Dakota and know thay will get the same education standards.

21 k. saint March 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM

@TinFoiler. Thanks for posting that youtube video. Parents are not passionate in MDUSD – yet – because we have not yet implemented common core. Parents do not yet know what the curriculum will look like but it is coming fast and there will be noise.

22 94598 March 9, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Dear MS. Bonilla- I have an idea

How about a bill to punish criminals or
a bill to delete your thousands of other bills

23 @20 March 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

You need to rethink your view that the federal government in Washington and the politicians should dictate to you what your kid learns. It hasn’t worked so far and now there Ramming more and more down your throat. Local control is the answer because we care here locally. All they care about is rewriting history for their agenda.

24 Matt March 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Common core sucks, and now Susan Bonilla does too. I’m not voting for her ever again. I’ve tried dealing with her office on other school related issues and I just get the run a round. I’ll be contacting get office next to tell her she should not pursue this and I hope others do as well

25 the big cheese March 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Does this lower the standards so more dummies can get into college? Oh wait, they already did that…………………

26 Pro Fi March 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

The problem with Common Core is that it is trying to fix the situation that was created by No Child Left Behind. The #1 problem with both of these programs is that decisions are not being made by educators. More and more strategies that impact K-12 education are backed by corporations; industry sectors and a general consensus to run education like a business. Every time policies like this are mandated, we waste billions on implementing them.

Economics should be examined and considered when developing policy. They should not be the ONLY factor. The number one consideration should be supporting innovative curriculum that motivates and develop students desire to learn and think critically about the world they live in.

27 sick and tired of being sick and tired March 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Susan Bonilla is worthless. I am so sick of the liberal agenda which does nothing but harm. Why don’t you do some real good and resign?

28 Michelle March 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM

California schools already have a “core” curriculum; what will this bill bring? I only see extra money being shoveled out at the taxpayer’s expense.

29 Julio March 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Matt, If my son ” didn’t want to learn math it is because he didn’t want to”. Don’t talk about something you don’t know. I was stating a fact. He is now an engineer. There are ways around nearly everything.
Fact is, education in the USofA is very very poor.

30 @Julio March 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

There’s a troll here operating under various names/headings. Matt is one of it’s names. It likes to pi$$ people off for some reason, don’t pay it any attention.

31 Rick March 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Matt (#19) doesn’t seem like Matt (#24). There are more than “one person in the world named Matt. There are a lot of guys named Rick, including several on Claycord, and I couldn’t care less whether someone thinks my posts are the same as another guy with the same name. What difference does it make?

I will agree that if you’re not doing well in school, you need to try harder. A lot of kids don’t take education seriously and their parents are even worse. They don’t worry about it until it’s too late. A really smart kid will learn even in the worst school district. He/she will hit the books and teach themselves.

Do I think someone who struggled with math is an engineer? Probably not. To be an engineer, you have to excel at math your entire life. I think he’s lying to compensate.

I don’t think education in the USA is very poor. Parental involvement and a little effort will go along way.

Kids who fail in school aren’t trying and they know it. So do the teachers, and sadly, a lot of teachers give up.

Respect the privacy of others, and keep your private life to yourself, especially on a blog. You’re dealing with the general public.

32 RANDOM TASK March 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM

wow……..SO the bonilla is claiming the schools need to learn the basics ……what the heck have they been doing then if you don’t know the basics you are doomed for anything. DOES a beginner pilot jump in a plane the first day…..or week. I certainly hope not ……she is grandstanding on things the schools should already be doing on a daily basis. How ignorant does she thing we are. your elected official so you got this one.

33 Almondgirl March 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My son is a junior at CHS and the common core they are teaching in English is horrible. He is given articles from newspapers and asked to write if he agrees or disagrees with the views in it. They are the most poorly written articles and all from the New York Times or the Washington Post. Who picks these articles? The are all very one- sided and lean heavily to the left, if you know what I mean.What happened to reading and analyzing great literature? Personally I am glad my daughter graduated and is in college and did not have to be subjected to this nonsense. Also, I am glad my son has only 1 year left because personally I am not at all impressed with Common Core and believe this just another way to screw up a Childs’ education. I believe this will turn more kids off from learning. Re-evaluate Common Core and get rid of it. It is a joke.

34 Lisa March 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM

RWNJ!

35 Dr. Jellyfinger® March 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Lisa! That’s my personalized license plate!

36 Gary March 10, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Must be election time. All of the BS laws are being generated, and the pols are gonna point proudly to the crap they’ve passed…and the idiot voters are gonna swallow the BS and re-elect them.

37 RANDOM TASK March 10, 2014 at 7:11 AM

first off millions of people come here from foreign countries to go to school here. Hmmmm why and how is that because the parents and the child want to learn and get out of it all they can ……parents have steered their kids to fail with excuses and telling them they were bad at math or whatever because they are too lazy to help their kid get all the educational value they can. Please the common core of the schools is horrible yes ….because most parents believe school is a gov daycare and the gov should teach their kids. The dems have made it so no one is held accountable for their actions be it criminals or parents ….politicians …they all are excused because its too hard to be accountable for your own actions. Blame someone else …..that is the Dems platform

38 Teacher March 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Hmmm, it sounds like most of you are not teachers because a lot of the comments you are spewing are actually incorrect. I have been teaching for close to 15 years and I have to say, I support the Common Core WAY more than I ever supported No Child Left Behind, which was implemented by yours truly, Mr. Bush. Politics aside, CC makes way more sense than cramming hundreds of standards down a student’s throat and then expecting them to memorize it all by May so they can take the Star Test. It just doesn’t work that way. Kids don’t learn thousands of facts taught one time. Just so you know, all CC is, is a more in depth way of learning material. Learning to write more, speak more, listen more. Social Studies classes supporting English classes and Science and Math supporting each other and ALL subjects coming together. I teach History and we are working on a collaborative project about minimum wage with all the students core classes. We are integrating technology as well, which is much needed. We are doing away with Star Test, which is great since bubbling in answers teaches our kids nothing. I think you all need to do more than research, even though there really isn’t much out there, since it’s brand new. I am in the Martinez district and we are much farther ahead than Mt. Diablo which I left because it was so terrible. Anyways, it’s really annoying when people spout nonsense on their soapboxes when they really have no idea what they’re talking about!!

39 chalkboy8 March 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Lets throw more money at the schools. This has worked so well in the past.

40 k. saint March 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM

@Teacher 38. I am not a teacher but simply being a teacher does not make what you say any more accurate. For example, you say, “all CC is, is a more in depth way…” That is absolutely NOT accurate. What you are referring to is the suggested IMPLEMENTATION of CC, not Common Core. Common Core is the new set of national standards that, if adopted by a state, requires the state’s public schools to teach these national standards to its students. Gone will be the boasting rights of Connecticut or the defeated look of Arkansans. The field will be yet again “leveled” but of course this will not work for all the reasons that any logical person knows.

In terms of Yippee no more STAR test, well have you seen the Smarter Balanced Tests? We are certainly not eliminating standardized tests. We are creating new ones! Now, the kids can’t bubble in answers because they have to control, alt, tab and drag and drop and test on computers that we don’t have in MDUSD yet. Everyone interested in education should take one of these practice tests.

41 RANDOM TASK March 11, 2014 at 12:38 AM

yay bring back ebonics ….even spell check laughs