National Weather Service Issues El Nino Watch for Summer Months

March 7, 2014 · 18 comments

An El Nino weather watch was issued this morning for the Bay Area during the coming summer months, a National Weather Service forecaster said.

NWS forecaster Diana Henderson said that the NWS’s Climate Prediction Center has increasing confidence that El Nino weather conditions will develop this summer or fall.

If strong El Nino weather conditions reach the Bay Area, summer showers will likely arrive, Henderson said.

When strong El Nino weather last occurred in California in 2009-10, the Bay Area did not receive significant rainfall, but when El Nino developed in 1997-98, it brought above-average rainfall to the entire state of California, including Northern California, where the state’s primary reservoirs are located, according to an El Nino fact sheet released today by the NWS.

While the chance of El Nino this year is about 20 percent higher than most years, according to Henderson, it still may be months away from developing, if it develops at all.

Bay Area residents, meanwhile, have been enduring unusual weather lately with small bursts of lightning visible in San Francisco and surrounding cities on Wednesday night, Henderson said.

With the low-pressure system moving out of the Bay Area, residents can expect significantly drier weather in coming weeks, according to the forecaster.

Henderson said residents in Sonoma and Monterey counties are likely to experience an increase in patchy fog for the rest of this week.

Additional showers are likely this weekend, but are expected to impact only areas north of the Golden Gate Bridge, according to Henderson.

Sunny skies are likely to reappear and stay for the rest of next week and next weekend, the forecaster said.

1 I can't wait to hear March 7, 2014 at 8:26 AM

what this means we won’t be allowed to do.

2 PC March 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM

For at least 50 years meteorologists have been trying to nail down long-range weather prediction. The vagaries of pressure system movements make this a big pipe dream. The el niño or la Nina has most of wondering, “what the hell, anyway!”. Half the time they have said we have an el niño, it hasn’t made much difference. We just have to take it as it comes!

3 The Mamba March 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I am El Nino, and I challenge all other tropical storms to a no holds barred cage match, any shore, any time!

4 anon March 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

This is fantastic news! We’ll have el nino to blame for everything again that goes wrong. I missed doing that.

5 Marissa March 7, 2014 at 9:47 AM

With the drought in effect, this would be a good thing for residents, but the effect on the ecosystem would be drastic.

6 Meth Monsters March 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM

El Niggro? Does it come with fried chicken,watermelon & corn bread?

7 bluebird March 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

These are the days I don’t want it to rain: March 14-19, May 26, July 4, July 19, Sept 1. All other days, a light rain will each morning will keep the grass and plants watered.

8 anon March 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM

El Nino happens irregularly and approximately every 2 to 7 years according Cal Gov web site. What does 20% higher than most years suppose to mean? Want some facts to back up the statement put out.

9 ClayDen March 7, 2014 at 11:34 AM

A summer rain is always nice, as it clears the air. However, when we have summer rain, we often get lightning, and that is what started the 1977 Mt. Diablo fire. I remember it vividly, as we saw the lightning striking the mountain as we were leaving the loan office in Walnut Creek after signing the loan papers for our new house in Clayton.

10 Marissa March 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM

@Meth Monsters
Only if you grow the watermelon an corn yourself and raise and pluck the chicken for frying.

11 Meth Monsters March 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

@10.

12 Meth Monsters March 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM

@10. ;-)

13 Idiots everywhere March 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM

@meth monsters your parents must be so proud. You are an absolute disgusting person, shame on you.

14 just me you see March 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I remember El Nino in 1997-98. I lived in San Jose and worked in Palo Alto and it took me 3 hrs to get to work and when I finally did arrive to work, the street was flooded and there was no way to get through. I went home and that took another 2 hrs. When I got home, it took along time to get through to my boss to let him know that it was impossible to get to work. I was mostly freaking out because it was my 2nd day on the job, but all was good…it was out of my control.

15 @#1 March 7, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Ain’t that the truth

16 mwo1859 March 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM

@14 I was living in marysville when the levees broke. Boy that was fun.

17 anon March 9, 2014 at 9:45 PM

time to listen to robert plant ‘when the levee breaks’ one of my favs of his.

18 Led Zeppelin Fan March 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM

If it keeps on rainin’, levee’s goin’ to break.
When the levee breaks, I’ll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan.
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home…….