ALERT: Coroner Called to Scene of Highway-24 Crash in Lafayette

March 6, 2014 12:45 pm · 22 comments

One person was killed in a solo-vehicle crash on state Highway 24 in Lafayette this morning, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The crash occurred just after 11 a.m. on eastbound Highway 24 near the Pleasant Hill Road exit in Lafayette.

Witnesses told the CHP that the driver of the vehicle involved was speeding before the car went off of the roadway and struck a tree, a CHP officer said. The driver, who was alone in the car, died at the scene.

Emergency responders searched for additional victims but found none, according to Capt. Robert Marshall of the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

The far right lane of the highway remained blocked by emergency vehicles as of 12:45 p.m.

{ 22 comments }

1 Scrappy March 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM

RIP. God wrap his hands around your family and comfort them through this journey.❤️

2 Anon March 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM

went by this at noon and it looked really bad. traffic at that point was backed up past Central Lafayette exit.

3 Michelle March 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM

RIP people please drive carefully, the roads are still slippery from the rain.

4 Steve March 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

What kinda car was it??

5 JET March 6, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Sad to hear this…. I drive that road every day and continue to be amazed at the high rate of speed people drive, weaving through traffic dangerously, almost like they are playing a video game or something?
Please slow down people… something like this can happen in the blink of an eye. Now someone is gone and their family and friends are going to start getting phone calls today that they lost someone they loved.

RIP

6 Sue March 6, 2014 at 1:50 PM

My condolences and prayers go out to the family & friends. God Bless

7 Dwight Schrute March 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM

This might be a good time to let the slow drivers out there to stay to the right…don’t hog the fast lane driving 60MPH!

8 Pahola March 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I just drove by n the car is still there, looks real smashed. RIP

9 Dina March 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM

@Dwight Schrute #7:

Might also be a good time to remind the fast drivers to stay in the fast lane and stop trying to use the slow lane as a shortcut or fast lane, and stop riding my a– for going the speed limit!

10 The Grant March 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM

and let this also be a reminder for the slow people that drive in the fast lane. Move over to the right to allow a speeding vehicle to pass you. Usually speeders swerve in and out of the fast lanes because slow drivers dont get the hint.

11 just1dering March 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM

People drive fast everywhere, but that stretch is faster than most for some reason.
I do know from driving it daily it can be dangerous.
I get on at Central Lafayette eastbound and have to merge left before I am stuck getting off at PH Road.
So many people doing as I do speed up to merge.
As you are merging left, that is where people are really flying, I guess it’s a nice open stretch to “fly”.
Now the problem: The two right lanes have woopty do’s, if you know what I mean.
If I am really moving and don’t merge left in time, I bottom out my shocks.
I was with my nephew, a new driver at 16, he flew over that stretch just for the woopty do’s and he laughed….we had a little talk after that.

Dangerous spot and few know it.
Be careful.

12 Old Guy March 6, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I am amazed there are not more accidents like this. Not a day goes by that I don’t see someone (usually several different occurances) speeding, cutting in and out and running red lights. The police departments and Highway Patrol need to come up with some kind of program to more effectively manage roadway speeds and get people to pay attention to the speed limits and rules of the road.

13 Pleasant Hill Resident I March 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Left Lafayette around 1:30pm and they were still working at the scene. The car was literally crumpled. Looked like the car took out the road sign in front of the tree also. We’re all guilty of speeding (well, most of us!) and sometimes it takes a terrible situation like this remind us that nothing is so important that we can’t take the time to drive safely. Very sad… My heart goes out to the driver’s family.

14 JW March 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Just drove by this and the car doesn’t even look like it was ever a car. It was a complete mess.

15 JC March 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Car was there for a while. Looked like a Isuzu Impreza. Car was doing in excess of 90 mph pre-accident. I do beleive the deceased was a teenager.

16 Too many speeders March 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I drive that 24 east every morning and I agree with JET; there are so many speeders on that freeway– and contrary to the asinine comments from people saying slow people get out of the fast lane and fast people stay out of the slower lanes – IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE! The speeders we are talking about are flying down the freeway playing dodge every car in every lane, giving no time for any sensible driver to make any kind of preventive move. These speeders usually start their flight as soon as they are out of the tunnel and then behave as if they are in a no holds barred race to the finish. They put countless lives at risk and could care less if your driving slow or fast in any lane; their objective is to catch up to and get ahead of everyone!!!! It gets especially dicey near that p-hill road exit where the maniacs are either trying to get over quickly to the 680 south turn off or else try to get into the ygnacio valley rd exit lane because they are obviously late or just plain arrogant. JET obviously knows and experiences what I am talking about. The rest of you obviously do not drive that stretch of freeway during non commute hours or else you would understand too. Instead you make silly remarks about driving since you found a convenient post to get on your general soapbox. There is a very specific problem here and hopefully CHP takes notice and does some enforcement more often in regards to this.

17 debdvo March 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I have never seen a car so mangled…I knew someone had died….it seriously choked me up as I passed it.

18 Bob Mac March 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I think that section is especially bad because people have been going stop-and-go from North Concord thru PH and then WC, and they finally break out into less conjestion and release pent up frustration. I’m not excusing, just explaining.

I got a ticket like that once in Tahoe. Was in slow traffic through South Tahoe heading west. Finally I cleared town and increased speed right into a trap.

19 ClayDen March 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM

@JC

An Impreza is a Subaru. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a WRX (the “hot rod” version of the Impreza) being driven by a teen with too little skill for the performance of the car.

Too bad he/she had to learn the hard way. My condolences to the family and friends.

20 @ Bob Mac March 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM

You have the wrong direction of freeway. It was on easy bound hwy 24, not west bound

21 Linda March 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Prayers to the family. RIP

22 KK March 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

@ Old Guy Even chp press conference said don’t drive slow in the fast lane. Slower traffic keep right. How hard is it to move right vs having a veh having to go around to pass. The police shouldn’t have to get involved if folks followed the rules of the road. It’s 65 for gas consumption, it used to be 75 back in the day.