The Water Cooler – Neighbors Who Smoke

March 5, 2014 12:00 pm · 105 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday at noon!

Today’s question:

Today’s water cooler question comes from a Claycordian who needs a little help dealing with a situation.

So, what would you do?

Here’s the back-story….

I have a question that I thought maybe everybody could help me with. I live in Pleasant Hill and have a home-based business, so I am home most of the day & night. My neighbor, who doesn’t have a job, and brags about how he can last forever on unemployment and food stamps, smokes about 10 packs of cigarettes a day (not that much, but you get it). He smokes on his side yard and the smoke is constantly coming over to my yard and into my home. I have asked him if he can even go to the middle of his yard, or switch sides once in a while, but he said his chairs are set up to let him “relax” on my side, so he won’t move.

What do I do? HELP!!!!

Talk about it….

101 Mr. Pink March 6, 2014 at 10:49 AM

@Nimby – regardless of the original post, my response is aimed at all those who feel they have the right to tell another what they can and cannot do on their own property. So yes, if we start telling people that they cannot do something that, so far as I know is still legal, annoying though it may be, on their own property, that sure sounds like it’s pushing the boundaries of freedom to me. But then maybe I’m confused. Or you are.

102 Nom de Plume March 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM

OMG, I’m so sorry. Not sure there is a solution for this if he is refuses to make any compromises and move to another area of the yard. I lived in a condo and didn’t realize until I moved in that smoke could permeate the unit. It wasn’t that bad when only one neighbor smoked, but eventually all of them did. That neighbor and I worked out a compromise, but the others didn’t care. It made the place uninhabitable so eventually I was forced to move. That was very sad as I loved it otherwise and the new no smoking regulations would have helped.

As for your situation, I’m not sure what you can do if the neighbor is such an ass. Just hope he dies early. Yes, I said it and have no sympathy for smokers after being subjected to them all my life and suffering from the health consequences as a result. Most of them don’t care how much they affect others. You shouldn’t have to live with your windows close and I know from experience the smoke gets through anyway.

103 Maya Piñon March 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Who cares?

104 frambley1 March 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

@anon #16. Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about. It is a simple fact. You can verify it on your own if you have any interest in facts. California’s unemployment insurance lasts for 26 weeks. After 26 weeks it ends. In other words, you get 26 weeks worth of payments, then no more.

105 Nimby March 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM

@Pink – The theme of the original post was how to handle a bad situation with a neighbor NOT telling them what to do on their own property. There are plenty of legal things that you can do on your own property such as playing loud music. There is no noise ordinance in the City of Concord. However the thing you obviously don’t get is; once it effects your neighbor such as me, I have a right to ask/tell you to turn it down. If you continue to be “annoying” on a daily basis and after I have asked nicely repeatedly then guess what? I’m gonna see you in court. Enjoying your freedom doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want. Be respectful, it’s mutual! Still confused?