Vigil Tonight in Martinez for 14-year-old Train Accident Victim

March 4, 2014 12:26 pm · 15 comments

jenna

A vigil will be held tonight at a Martinez middle school as students mourn the death of 14-year-old Jenna Betti, who was killed by a
train on Sunday.

The eighth-grader will be remembered at a 6:30 p.m. ceremony at Martinez Junior High School, located at 1600 Court St.

Jenna was hit around 5 p.m. Sunday on the railroad tracks near Old Orchard and Howe roads. The Burlington Northern Santa Fe train that struck her was heading from Richmond to Fresno, and had three crew members aboard at the time of the incident, a railway spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman said Jenna and another person were on the tracks but moved away as the train approached. The girl then returned to the tracks and was hit, she said.

According to a Facebook message from Jenna’s mother, Dena Betti, that was reposted on social media sites, Jenna was with her boyfriend on the tracks just before she was hit. The mother wrote that Jenna apparently dropped her phone and was killed when she went back to grab it as the train approached.

Parents of children participating in tonight’s vigil are encouraged to attend as well, or stay nearby to make for a smooth pick-up
process, the school secretary said.

Grief counselors have been at the school and will remain there all this week, the secretary said.

On social media, messages about Jenna have been pouring in since her death. One poster, who appears to be Jenna’s boyfriend, wrote, “She is so important to me and I am just devastated. I love her so much.”

Jenna has two younger sisters and played club soccer. Her mother was involved in her daughters’ school communities, according to the Martinez Unified School District superintendent.

photo: Jenna Betti/Twitter

{ 15 comments }

1 Don't Censor Me Bro March 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yahweh Shalom…

Selah…

2 Amy March 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

As a mother, this story sends chills down my spine. My heart goes out to the family of this darling girl.

3 Martinez junior high alumni March 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

RIP

4 Anon March 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM

My daughter is 15 and my heart breaks for this family. RIP

5 Miss Chatty March 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Very sorry to hear of this beautiful young lady’s passing. My sincere condolences to her family, friends, and classmates. May God bring comfort and peace to all involved.

6 Ruby Tuesday March 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Very sad. What a beautiful young lady. My heart goes out to her family and friends. God’s blessings…..

7 Mary March 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM

As a mother, this is just the worst news a mother could hear. My prayers go out to all of her family and friends. This is just tragic. My heart aches for the family and her friends.

8 Fritz March 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM

all for a stupid cell phone!? sadder than sad

9 Me March 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Such a beautiful girl… Rest in peace little angel.

10 PH Resident March 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM

RIP. Condolences to the family.

11 Sam Y March 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM

This is truly a heartbreaking situation. All the love and prayers in the world are not going to ease this family’s pain. I hope that all who knew her or have read this story learn a lesson from this and that her death may save the life of someone else. RIP sweet Jenna and may God hold your family tightly in his love.

12 Jh March 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

When I heard about this my heart completely dropped. It’s sad and messed up. She was so young, but I guess it’s true that the good die young. My heart goes out to her family and friends and her boyfriend. I could not imagine how they feel, this is just sad. For anyone who has something dumb or rude to say to this story please have respect and stay off of here . Keep your nasty comments to yourself. Ripjennabetti:(

13 A March 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Rest in peace sweet angel :(

14 Duck March 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Tragic !
Is all I can muster up right now…………God bless everyone involved.
Prayers sent !

15 kay March 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM

My daughter was in a car accident almost 6 yrs ago and almost died and I felt like I would die too. She made it through Thank God but I will never forget that awful feeling of knowing I could lose her. My heart breaks for Jenna’s mom and family members having o endure such a tragic loss. There are no words really that can express how sorrowful this whole thing is. Rest in peace Jenna and bless all those left behind.