PIC: This is a Big Reason Why Burglars Keep Breaking into Vehicles

March 4, 2014 8:00 am · 38 comments

pack_willows

This picture was taken by an anonymous Claycordian over the weekend.

Here’s what she had to say….

I always read about all the break-ins throughout Claycord, and when I parked in the Willows Shopping Center on Sunday, I saw this in the car next to me (picture attached). I thought you might want to share it with all of our friends online.

Thanks for the picture.

This is exactly what you shouldn’t leave in your vehicle, especially on what looks to be the front seat. Even if the backpack is empty, it’s tempting for a burglar to break a window, grab it and run just in case there’s a laptop inside.

Don’t ever leave anything valuable inside your vehicle!

{ 38 comments }

1 Love USA March 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM

We recently had a smash and grab in our neat place where I live. Even after posters went up warning residents to keep their valuables or anything out of view in their cars they still leave their portable navigation devices right on the dash. So I think people think those crimes happen to other people and not to them!

2 Booby trap March 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM

That’s actually my car and bag. I’ve rigged the bag with enough C4 to blow up any potential smash and grab burglar…

3 Anon March 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Yep- I also saw a car in the Willows over the weekend that had shopping bags filled with toys stacked up in the back seat in clear view of anyone walking by. Some people will never learn until they become victims.

4 Retired Cop March 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM

“Some people will never learn until they become victims.”

Roger that

5 Brian March 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Some people will never learn.

6 zeroc00l March 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM

@booby trap

i wish so badly.

7 Mideah March 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Yup and don’t wear short skirts or low cut tops either, because we all know if you tempt the criminals you deserve what they do to you. When are we going to start putting the blame on the bad guys instead of pointing fingers at innocent people and telling them they should have done a better job at hiding their things?

8 awsomeee March 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Booby Trap……. Thats awsomeeee…… :-)

9 AWESOME DAD March 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM

When we lived in Oakland, our car was broken into 3 times. None of those times were there any “valuables” visible.

Sometimes the bad guys break into your car because they are just doing what bad guys do.

10 Shelly March 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Well, it does scream out “Come hither and TAKE ME!!” to a thief.

11 Upsetjet March 4, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Was at safeway on willow pass last week. Got out of my car and sitting on top of the console in the car next to me was an iphone 5. Then i said to myself “this is why cars get broke into”.

12 The Mamba March 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM

The reason why burglars keep breaking into cars is because they are degenerate anchors on society who would rather steal from other hard working people than earn something legitimately themselves. Their parents raised them wrong, they never applied themselves in school and will never amount to much more than petty thieves and entries on a police blotter.

13 Cowellian March 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Get a club!

14 anon March 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Don’t go to the Willows Shopping Center any more, too many car break ins. Tell all my friends to avoid the place.

15 michelle March 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Put you valuable out of sight so thieves cannot see them. I don’t leave anything valuable in sight when I go to any shopping center.

16 Anon2you March 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM

You shouldn’t leave valuable in your garage or house either, that just tempts burglars into stealing them. Don’t have a house either that will just tempt you to have nice things to fill it. Get rid of all worldly goods and you will be safe!
Signed,
The Hermit on the Hill

17 iluvfriedchicken March 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Either put your stuff in the trunk or don’t take it with you unless it’s necessary. You’re giving criminals the opportunity to steal when you leave your stuff in your car in plain view because criminals can see it and you let them see it.

Putting your stuff out of view prevents criminals from seeing your stuff, and then they cannot take it. And if they do find a way to take it, it’s not your fault because you didn’t help make the theft easier.

Make it as difficult as possible for criminals to steal your stuff or harm you. If you don’t, then it’s your fault when you become a target and suffer at the hands of a burglar.

18 Reality Slap March 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t tell people what to do, only advise them and then let what’s going to happen, happen; in other words you can’t fix stupid. According to the photo we have verifiable evidence that stupid is still very much alive and kicking.

19 Mideah March 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Lol @Anon2you,exactly. I was talking to someone the other day and they said they accidently left their cell phone on a table at a restaurant, realized it and came back for it 15 minutes later only to find it was stolen. Their response? “I was being careless so I deserved it”. No wonder there are so many criminals running around, people are so quick to blame themselves or someone’s carelessness rather than actually blame the criminal.

20 @ Mideah March 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Your point of view is all well and good but it is not going to stop people from breaking into your car and stealing your stuff if you leave valuable items laying on the passenger seat of your car in plain view. That is the reality of life.

You have to take reasonable precautions to lessen the possibility of you becoming a victim and leaving stuff on the passenger seat is not one of them. If you are not willing to do that, you might as well mitigate your loss and leave your stuff on the hood of your car thereby saving yourself the cost of replacing a window. The reality is never leave anything in your car you are not willing to have stolen.

You can either live in the real world or your view of how the world should be.

How about everyone take some responsibility and try and not put themselves in a bad positions for bad things to happen to them?

You can call it blaming the victim if you wish but I call it being prudent. Lets see which one is the better strategy for keeping yourself whole.

21 Nom de Plume March 4, 2014 at 12:05 PM

These people aren’t victims. They are gifters.

I saw this almost every time I parked my car. It was so ridiculous it became laughable. I eventually figured they were police decoy cars or the thieves would pick them rather than mine and hoped the broken glass didn’t affect my tires.

22 Horse n around March 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM

The San Ramon police dept. would walk our businesses parking lot once in a while. They had a check list that they would put on your car if they saw that maybe you had your window rolled down, or you left items in plain view that could be stolen, or your car was unlocked. Makes you feel kinda weird knowing someone was looking in your car. But nice to know it was the police and not a crook.

23 Clueless shoppers March 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I find the women who leave their purses in the grocery cart while they are perusing items on the shelves, even just a foot away, far more clueless than the person who thinks their bag in a locked car is safe. Why is it so hard to have common sense?

24 Ruby Tuesday March 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM

This used to set me off, but I just let it roll off my shoulder. If they don’t get it, they don’t get it. I guess we can all knock on their door, sit them down and try to talk to them about it.

Maybe one day they’ll understand. There’s always room for improvement.

Life’s too short!

25 Connie Dobbs March 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

You guys sound underinsured.

26 Love USA March 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

@12 I never applied myself in school and I am financially independent with an honest job and retirement. I had to learn things on my own and I am very independent and successful! I also had to raise myself due to parents that were very immature and were not available as parents. So you cannot blame the unfortunate circumstances that happen around the people that are criminals!! They make personal choices that hurt others. It is just too bad that perhaps drugs make them this way or that they think they get money easier by stealing etc.

27 Mrs. T March 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Why are you all so worried about what other people do?? If they want to leave stuff visible in a car like that then that’s a problem for them!! Stop being so nosey. If you keep your stuff hidden much like I do or just take it with you then you are doing the right thing. But this is a new level of LOW taking pictures of stuff in other people’s cars. Mind your business!!

28 Valorie March 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Eyes are everywhere, post like these bring attention to thieves and make it noteworthy for them to look into people’s vehicles for items to steal. These pictures happen time and time again-the stories are fine; to warn people. But pictures like these should not be a part of Claycord.

29 Wake Up! March 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM

@ Mrs T.—27

Vehicle burglaries drive up insurance rates. Insurance rates are by zip code. You’re either young, or not very bright. Or both.

30 Wake Up! March 4, 2014 at 9:30 PM

@ Valorie-28

Pictures like these should be part of Claycord. If you don’t get, I won’t take the time to explain it to you. You wouldn’t understand.

31 jtkatec March 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Boobytrap, I’m thinking a rattlesnake would be better than C4. I’m not sure how available C4 is to buy, but heck, rattlesnakes can be found all over the hills in this area and are free!!!

32 Mrs. T March 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM

@ Wake up. Does it matter to you what other people do? I was making a statement about people being nosey. If you can’t understand that I’m sorry. I don’t care how incompetent others are and I damn sure don’t go around taking pictures of people’s stuff that’s just low. I am a safe person if others are not that it not my problem. Btw yes I consider myself young though people in my family like to mess with me about my 30th birthday that is creeping up on me :) If you think I’m not bright well then you need to deal with that honey!

33 Rick March 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Mrs. T , you’re not the sharpest tool in the shed. Quit while you’re behind.

34 Michelle March 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM

lol jtkatec, I have to agree with you. rattlesnakes would be more effective and are free. But how would you get it in the pack without it biting you?

35 Cowellian March 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Rick, that’s because she doesn’t work as hard as you at being a tool.

36 jtkatec March 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM

very carefully!!

37 Mrs. T March 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Cowellian you sly dog, you beat me to it :)

38 Cowellian March 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I don’t often get a set-up like that, so I couldn’t let it go to waste. ;)