MDUSD, Teachers’ Union Reach Three Year Contract Agreement

March 4, 2014 14:01 pm · 108 comments

scree

The Mount Diablo Unified School District and the Mt. Diablo Education Association teachers’ union have reached an agreement on a three year contract.

The following information is from the Mt. Diablo Education Association:

We have reached agreement on a three year contract. This contract returns  medical coverage for our members as well as providing on-going salary increases equal to 9.3% over the term of the agreement. In the words of President Guy Moore, “This contract sets the cornerstone for a new foundation for the district and was only possible with the support, hard work and courage of the School Board, Superintendent Nellie Meyer, and the many members, parents, and community members who worked tirelessly to build support for this change.”

Beginning in January 2015, the district will pay $12,781 per year toward medical coverage for two or more people. Members who select coverage for one person will receive support equal to $6,390. Beginning in January of 2016, the district will pay $16,615 per year toward medical coverage for families. Members who choose not to take Medical through the district will receive an in-lieu payment of $100 per month. These Benefit caps are equal to the caps for other bargaining units.

The contract includes the following salary increases:

• 3% retroactive to July 1, 2013
  • 2% effective February, 2015
  • 4% effective February, 2016
  • After February of 2016, the salary schedule will be 9.3% higher than the current schedule.
  • Two Professional Development Days will be added to the school year beginning with the 2014-2015 school year.
  • The contract includes additional changes to the transfer article, BTSA, and the Catastrophic Leave Bank. These changes were detailed in earlier announcements.

Your bargaining team and MDEA Leadership are thrilled with this contract and hope you will join us in voting YES!

photo credit: www.OurMDEA.org

101 Walter White March 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

@ laugher Wow, you sound like a real a-hole. Sounds like a duck, must be a duck.

102 MDUSD Grad March 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM

@Pro Fi

“Harrassed by helicopter parents” – does that mean you DON’T want more parental involvement?

Additionally – I agree with laugher. Going to work at a school not knowing if you’ll make it home that day? Don’t be ridiculous. Unless you’re referring to the possibility of getting in a car accident on your way there, or you teach in a prison/correctional school that’s an insane position to take. I’d wager more people die each year choking on french fries than do in school shootings.

103 MDUSD Grad March 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I’d like to say that I go to work each day at my office not knowing if I’ll make it home. I could die from boredom. Or a disgruntled ex employee. Or a bomb threat. Or a plane could fall from the sky and land on our building. Or an earthquake. Or falling down the stairs. Or the elevator could slice me in half. Or dehydration.

Working at a desk around other people… it’s a dangerous job, but I’m willing to do it.

104 Pro Fi March 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Believe it or not it is true. I could care less what you think.
@MDUSD GRAD – I am in the university system… Legally I can not talk to parents about their students unless the student consents. Yet, I still receive emails asking me what a student can do to pass my class….

Some of us actually enjoy the profession, which is why we stay. So maybe my comment about worrying about going to work and being shot at was a bit extreme… point taken. I just am really tired of people assuming that the old adage.. “those that can’t do teach” is even relevant today. Teacher credentialling (sic) is a pretty rigorous and at times expensive process.

What my original post did not include was that it is a PARENT’S responsibility to try and determine why their child is having a tough time, trying to be as objective as possible without defaulting to “the teacher is bad, my child is brilliant” argument. Very few people have actually taught yet are the experts when it comes to education.

Back to the point… Congrats on the contract!

105 Doctor J March 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM

the UGLY secret the Board does not want the public to know: secret raises to administrators will cost the district more money than the raises to teachers during this fiscal year. Administrators have a secret “me too” agreement through DMA (Diablo Managers Association) — but secretly the “me too”, in order to benefit the big Four whose contracts expire June 30, 2014, has been sweetened to a 3% retro raise to 7/1713. Additionally administrators employed in Feb 2014 will get an additional 2% bonus on top of the 3%; both payable in April. those costs greatly exceed the total cost of the raises to the teachers for this fiscal year. You don’t believe me ? ask for full disclosure from the Board.

106 Who woke the Dr up? March 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Heeeeeeee’s back.

107 Pro Fi March 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

@ Dr. J….
Now THAT p$ss%s me off!

108 Annie CSEA March 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM

The (me too) is only for 2013-2014. DMA gets what classified gets.