UPDATE: Blown Transformer Causes Power Outage in Downtown Concord

March 4, 2014 22:04 pm · 34 comments

transformer

A blown transformer caused a power outage in parts of downtown and N. Concord tonight.

We’re hearing the transformer is off Solano Way near Grant St. in Concord.

ConFIRE says wires are also down in the area of Grant/Solano.

About 4,000 people are currently without power.

There’s no word yet on when power will be restored.

Thanks to Taylor for the picture of the transformer blowing up.

UPDATE, 11:40pm: Most of the power has been restored. Only about 100 people are still without power, but PG&E says it should be back on by 1am.

1 Pro Fi March 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM

There’s another power outage at Grant & Solano. Power went off about 10 mins ago. The lights went off, a very loud buzzing sound went through the neighborhood. The power came back on for a few moments, then a loud explosion that lit up the sky and no power. Was a bit unsettling. Call my sister in the apartments across Oliveria, power is out there too.
Stay safe Concord!

2 Jogger March 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Power is out on Farm Bureau. Looks like it’s out from Concord B to Clayton.

3 Grimey_Ed March 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I was just catching up on walking dead then herd a loud BOOM now I have no power and no walking dead at least I still got my trippy stix

4 In the Dark March 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Isn’t this the same thing that happened last week? Blown transformer on Grant Street?

5 Cici March 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Yep, I’m sitting in the dark. Thank goodness for smart phones!

6 The Closer March 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Again? Didn’t one blow a few months back?Behind Bonfare market I believe.

7 Cool March 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Same exact location you are mentioning, the transformer blew. How long do these take to repair?

8 In the Dark No More March 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Power is back on!

9 Anon March 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM

All of Solano has no power and concord ave area

10 Mro Man March 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I saw a transformer blew off avon about a year ago and power got picked up by a backup transformer with no hitch. Called pg&e to report and they never came out to fix it. Sounds like power is going to be out for a while to restore the grid.

11 mafaj March 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM

On Willow Pass/Queens Rd., in the dark, AGAIN! Second transformer blown in are area in a week!! What makes this happen and why the deeper in the ghetto, the more often we get affected. Only lived in the area less then a year but long time neighbors say it happens way to often? Im jk about it being the ghetto, I am blessed to have a roof over my head but others around here do say it happens alot? Anyone know anything about transformers, what they do and what reasons do the blow up? Why more often in some areas then others? Ty *p.s. lights just came back on. 1st time last wk they were off for only a couple of mins. Tonight a little longer, approx. 10 mins maybe more.

12 dreladev March 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

The power is back on!!

13 L. March 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

This is getting old…2x in 2 weeks! All this damned hi-tech has to be rebooted! What’s wrong PG&E…sympathy pains for everyone snowed in back East?

14 alwo143 March 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

How is it that claycord knows about the cause of the outage before pg&e does…. I think it’s hilarious.

15 D.E. Thomas March 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM

The power went off at about 9:50, first for a few moments, then it came back on before going off, then back on again once or twice. Finally, it was off to stay for about 25 minutes, only coming back on at 10:15.

16 Mro Man March 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Still no power off Avon.

17 Almost hit March 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Still out on northwood off olivera :(

18 redneckfreak March 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I know overhill rd and around us are out.gotta love old equipment

19 Officer Barbrady March 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Did a quick patrol. Concord blvd from Margot almost to Safeway was off as was Farm Bureau area and streets running into Concord Blvd.

20 Pro Fi March 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM

No power here at Highland either. Yes… was exactly what happened before to the same transformer behind Bonfaire. I agree, this is happening an awful lot around here. I know it isn’t a big deal… but that noise..the humming.. it was SO LOUD! Could almost feel it… just scared the begeebees outta me. Last time this happened in the summer and we got power back in about 2-3 hours.

21 DZ March 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Update》10:48 power is ON near birch/grant st.

22 Jaymee March 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Still no power off solano way/avon

23 Scared mommy March 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Power finally came on at 11. Hope it stays on.

24 charlotte phillimore March 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Thank god its back on jeez i was without internet lmao

25 Dorothy March 4, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Wow, downtown Concord is really getting it these days.

26 Jaymee March 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Power just went back on @ solano/avon

27 The Theorist March 5, 2014 at 12:56 AM

So are all these outages coincidences?
Or maybe the SHTF is beginning after the delayed solar max of 2013…

Perhaps Putin is digging out old KGB toys?

Maybe it’s just plain decrepit infrastructure? Time for the 1% to bump up rates AND PROFITS!

28 Jeanae March 5, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Power came back on at Grant/Olivera about an hour ago ~ :)

29 Teacher Wannabe March 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Wondering how the photog was right there, with his camera ready, when the transformer blew. If I was a suspicious person…

BTW, shameless plug, if you had AT&T U-verse, like me, you would have not lost internet or phone service. Just sayin’.

30 D March 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I am just curious.. Maybe Mr. Mayor can find out.
Do the transformers still have PCB’s in them?
Is there any kind of ‘health check’ done to see if a transformer is in a weakened state? When one blows, is there an impact to the others near it like from surges or overload?
Just curious

31 CLAYCORD.com March 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Dashcam?

32 Atticus Thraxx March 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Transformers don’t use PCBs anymore though there is still a large numerous still in service. Yes dissolved gas detection, winding temps,oil pressure and a number of other protection parameters are monitored in larger transformers. The typical PG&E stuff (low MVA) don’t have much protection.

33 jm74 March 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM

@Teacher Wannabe, I have Comcast and my modem never lost power, however my desktop and cordless phone did. I need to get an old school corded phone.

34 Cowellian March 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM

When we had kids at home, I always kept one corded phone, just in case of a power outage. Now, my internet connection is my phone line, and if power goes out, I have a phone for as long as my UPS holds out.