Woman Falls at Ygnacio Valley & Bancroft in WC, Suffers Head Injury

March 1, 2014 15:05 pm · 14 comments

ygnacio

A woman in her 60′s fell and hit her head at the intersection of Ygnacio Valley Rd. & Bancroft Rd. in Walnut Creek earlier this afternoon.

The woman, who we’re hearing was alert when paramedics arrived, suffered a serious head injury and was taken to the hospital.

Usually we don’t post when somebody falls and hits their head, but since this was at a major intersection and many were wondering whether or not this was a vehicle -vs- pedestrian collision, we thought we’d give it a mention.

Our best goes out to the woman, and we hope she makes a full & fast recovery!

Thanks to “Rebel” for the picture!

{ 14 comments }

1 Chicken little March 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Saw another accident across from Stanford’s Restaurant in Walnut Creek and someone taken in an ambulance to John Muir.
Busy day for paramedic in Walnut Creek!

2 Cat Wrangler March 1, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I hope she is OK. My thoughts and prayers for her speedy recovery. God bless her.

3 Mimi (original) March 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Hope her fall wasn’t the result of some other medical condition. Hope her conk on the head was not too serious. Get well soon!

4 Wondering March 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Was she on a bike? I really hate to see anyone over 50 on a bike. You are not as quick or agile as you used to be, that’s a good thing in this anxiety ridden world, but NOT on a bike in traffic. Know your limits!

5 @Wondering #4 March 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM

That’s rediculous.

6 Atticus Thraxx March 1, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Glad to hear was was alert, that’s a good sign.
What’s with throwing around 50 like we’re friggin’ ancient? Not ready for Depends yet bubba.

7 claycord-biker March 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM

@wondering; really? At 55 I cant say that I have ever been a safer biker; I normally bike 500-600 miles a month and mostly on city streets, Concord, Martinez, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Benicia, Bay Point and occasional SF.

But following your point, I am always curious about the people who gripe about having to share the road with bikers, motorcycles, pedestrians, etc… I sometimes wonder if the person complaining is actually aging beyond their ability to see (vision) and that it is time to have their vision and driving skills evaluated if they find it difficult to maneuver appropriately in mixed traffic.

8 Easily Amused March 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM

#4, As asinine as that sounds, it really made me laugh. It doesn’t matter how old I am, but you have to south of 25.

I hope she’s okay.

9 Teacher Wannabe March 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM

@ #4 At 56 I’,m in better shape than I was 5-10 years ago. A lot of my friends are similar age.I don’t see this even came up. Not even related to the story.

10 Kaiser Sosa March 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM

@Wondering Know yours … you obviously
have a personal bias that limits your
ability to see people 50 and over as unique
individuals quite capable of biking safely …
among other things.

11 Silva March 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM

@Easily Amused (#8) I laughed too. Sounds like the voice of INEXPERIENCE if I ever heard it!!

12 Blue Fan March 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM

@Wondering:
I’m 65 and still have the reflexes of a mongoose and can solve differential equations. I quit riding my bike a few years ago because new drivers don’t know how to pay attention to where they’re going. People drive faster these days because there aren’t many speeding tickets being handed out on city street these days, and cars are better, they handle and brake better. But when people aren’t paying attention… And they always blame it on the guy on the bicycle.

Best wishes and get well soon to the unnamed lady.

13 Mary Fouts March 2, 2014 at 12:28 PM

@Wondering#4: I am 48 years old, and a bicycle-only rider due to a seizure disorder. While I have experienced my share of stigma, including that from supposedly well-educated people, your comment makes my Stigma Top Ten List. Congratulations!

But hey, on a positive note, thanks for giving me a 2 year heads up until I apparently need to hang up my faithful 2-wheeled daily riders: 7-speed Butter Cup and 21-speed Black Beauty.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for the female accident victim.

14 Dave March 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I’m over 50 and Wondering (#4) made me laugh. This person sounds very young. There’s no reason for anyone to be offended. I was that age once. I’ll keep “those limits” in mind. Maybe I’ll get out of a little yard work.

God’s blessings and a speeding recovery to the lady involved.