UPDATE: Pedestrian Expected to Survive After Being Hit by Bus in Walnut Creek

February 28, 2014 11:44 am · 20 comments

A woman was struck and injured by a public transit bus while crossing a major intersection in Walnut Creek this morning, a police sergeant said.

The collision occurred around 6:15 a.m. when a County Connection bus turning right onto Ygnacio Valley Road from Civic Drive hit the woman in a marked crosswalk, according to Walnut Creek police Sgt. Joe Donleavy.

The woman suffered head and leg injuries and was taken to a hospital for treatment, Donleavy said. Her injuries are serious but not considered life-threatening, he said.

Donleavy said no passengers were on board the bus at the time.

The bus driver, who was uninjured in the collision, stopped at the scene.

Neither drugs, alcohol nor speed appear to have been factors in the collision, Donleavy said.

County Connection general manager Rick Ramacier said the bus was headed toward downtown Walnut Creek at the time of the collision.

Ramacier said the agency would conduct an internal investigation into the collision, as is standard procedure.

The bus driver involved “was not physically harmed but is fairly upset,” he said.

Police are asking anyone who witnessed the collision to call Sgt. Donleavy or Officer Sean Dexter at (925) 943-5844.

{ 20 comments }

1 NutCreek Frontier February 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Poor lady, that is not a good day when you get hit by a county bus in the crosswalk. May she recover quickly. Am sure the lawyers will be contacting her.

2 KenInConcord February 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM

bad morning? Co-workers ask……. ” I got hit by a bus!” She says. “Yea, that flu is going around!”

3 Wow February 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM

I drove past this today on my way I work the bus driver was visually shaken up. Glad the lady is ok but feel bad for the bus driver. I could tell by the loom on his face he was crushed. Good luck to both parties.

4 Nice to know the bus driver was "fairly upset" February 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Driver is upset because this will go on his/her record, and may mean no promotion.

5 Mimi (original) February 28, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Peeps need to stay onna sidewalk!

6 Wear light colored or reflective clothing when its dark February 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Every morning I drive from Walnut Creek to Antioch at between 5 and 6. People in dark clothing are scurrying on the streets around like cockroaches.

7 jtkatec February 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM

…”hit the woman in a marked crosswalk,”

Mimi, kind of hard to cross the street by staying on the sidewalk, don’t you think?

8 hold on lady driver February 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Wishing both the woman and the driver well. I am not surprised that a bus was involved. I have been a passenger for many years and over time have to say I am surprised that more people have not been hurt by buses. I know that it’s not reported if you are hurt on the bus. I have seen many people fall and become bloodied on the bus. This last month I have been on a bus and the driver stops to text, pops up on sidewalks while turning corners and speeds at times in wrong lane. It’s a matter of time before she flips us or kills someone but over all they feel safe and like they are doing a good job.

9 anon February 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Pedestrians do whatever they want in Nut Creek – and that’s a FACT!

10 Sam Y February 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM

…… I am a bus driver and I am NOT perfect. There are distractions on the bus and outside that could cause me to take my eyes off the area you are walking for a second and I may not see you. There are big mirrors on our vehicles and YES we are trained, but I can not see EVERYTHING at EVERY second. it is also the responsibility of the pedestrian to observe his and her surroundings. Make sure that ALL vehicles see you when you are in the street and before you step off the curb. I believe the liability of the accident is 50/50

11 hit by a bus March 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM

It is true Pedestrians think cars will stop even if they don’t see them.

12 Not this driver's first accident March 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Bus drivers boss was on the news last night saying this driver has had at least 6 mishaps (that was his word he chose) in his 13 years of driving but nothing serious like this incident. All I know is that if I had that many mishaps driving I don’t think I would get a very good car insurance rate, let alone be responsible for driving a bus load of people around town as my job!

13 @ Sam Y March 1, 2014 at 7:45 AM

I can’t believe you think the pedestrian is 50% at fault!!! You should not be driving a bus any longer if that is how you think. The lady has a green light and is walking in her crosswalk. She is 100% NOT AT FAULT. However the bus driver is making a right turn from Civic onto westbound Ygnacio Valley. There is no dedicated green arrow that allows a right turn for anyone there. Therefore you can only make a right turn there when safe and not just because the light for southbound Civic is green. I hope you resign or get fired if you drive around thinking you can make right turns whenever you want. The pedestrian had the right of way 100%.
Shame on you for blaming her at all.

14 Connie Dobbs March 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM

If you can’t be bothered to look and see if a bus is coming you might be hit by a bus. You’ll be the rightest person in the Emergency Room, though, so you’ll have that going for you.

15 white boy March 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I’m fully agree with sam Y

16 Nicole March 1, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I don’t know the stats on pedestrians being hit. I’ve never gotten in an accident, and I’ve never been hit by any vehicle.

But think Connie says it best. If you can’t be bothered……

Pedestrians have to take responsibility as well, and so do drivers. Just because you have a green light doesn’t mean you can automatically go. You need to look and see if others have STOPPED. HELLO!

Some people just can’t drive, and some people don’t know how to walk safely.

Stay home!

17 Most collisions are avoidable March 2, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Bus driver legally at fault 100%. Ped however could have avoided collision if she was more aware of her surroundings. Walking in the dark in dark clothing in the rain is inherently risky. Hope she recovers soon.

18 Cowellian March 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I still remember the old public service announcement on my folks’ B&W TV talking about being careful, even if you have the right-of-way. It ended with
“Don’t be Dead Right!”

19 nbrown March 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I went to visit the lady who was hit. She is a MESS! Injuries you cannot imagine. SHE IS BLESSED to be alive. I PRAY with a hole in the back of her head, legs that are practically to shreds, face black & blue…skin burns on arms. fingers etc.. …I can go on and on…It was difficult to visit and experience this. John Muir is taking good care of her.

I pray that God heals her completely!! From my eyes, she has a long way to recover! God’s grace is sufficient! I pray that the driver will have time to really think about what happened , this is NOT okay. I will be praying for the pedestrian for a full recovery and to have use of her body parts as well as the driver who hit her.

20 Kelli L March 11, 2014 at 10:06 PM

This is my mother n law. She is hurt very badly and is gonna have a very long recovery because of this bus driver and his inability to slow down while making a turn. How do you not see someone in the middle of an intersection. Where you in.that much of a hurry or something to make it to your next destination? IDK. Whatever the case is Im not gonna lie a few of these ignorant comments made me sick to my stomach. It saddens me deeply. PLEASE if you all can, please put my mom in your prayers for a full recovery. She is the most wonderful woman/mother I know. Blessings your way. <3u