UPDATE: Concord Man Suffers Major Head Injuries During Morning Crash in Clayton

February 28, 2014 · 54 comments

marsh

A 19-year-old Concord man suffered major injuries in a two-car collision on a slick roadway in Clayton this morning, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The man was heading east on Marsh Creek Road west of Morgan Territory Road in his Mazda sedan at about 40 to 60 mph around 6:50 a.m. when he lost control of the car and crossed into the westbound lane of traffic, hitting an oncoming SUV, according to the CHP.

He was airlifted to Kaiser Permanente Vacaville Medical Center with major head injuries.

The driver of the SUV, a 53-year-old Clayton woman, was uninjured.

According to the CHP, neither alcohol nor drugs appear to be factors in the crash and both drivers were wearing seatbelts.

An investigation into the collision is ongoing.

Thanks to Ann for the picture!

RELATED STORY: UPDATE: Marsh Creek Rd. Now Open After Victim of Crash Life-Flighted from Scene

1 Nick February 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM

40-60 mph on marsh creek road is always dangerous even when dry.

2 Steve H. February 28, 2014 at 3:39 PM

So sorry for the person hurt. I hope he has a good recovery.

3 Scrappy February 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM

We needs lots of prayers for this young man! My heart goes out to his family❤️

4 Mrs Q February 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM

@ concerned-According to update this is where he was flown to: Kaiser Permanente Vacaville Medical Center

5 just a concordian February 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Poor guy… I feel for him. I wish him a speedy recovery, and an even speedier “lesson learned”

6 anonanonagain February 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Very sad. Most young drivers are inexperienced when it comes to driving in the rain let alone when the roads are dry. Add to that the feeling of invincibility and there you have it. I’m trying not to stereotype because I know this young man has a family. I hope that he recovers fully…..

7 Incognito February 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Wishing this young man a speedy recovery.
I’m hoping on his next travel down Marsh Creek Road he’ll remember this day and slow it down a bit, knowing the situation could have been a lot worse.

8 CT February 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Why not airlifted to John Muir Walnut Creek?? Our local trauma center.

9 Jim Shoes February 28, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Terrible. Hope he pulls through.

10 wondering February 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I have often wondered what to do when it is raining really heavily. I like to go slower for safety reasons, so I ride in the right lane, but there are always big pools of water that sink the car in and it’s scary for a minute, almost losing control.
Suggestions anyone?

11 Julie February 28, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I pray this young man will be all right. The roads are so slick.

12 cg February 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

So young, praying he will be okay.

13 anon February 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Scary roard at night or in bad weather.

14 Schmee February 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM

680 was super slick this morning. In the fast lane I was doing 60

15 Kevin Mackay February 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM

@ct

John Muir was probably on “Trauma Bypass” at the time.

16 JJ2 February 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Hope he pulls through.
50 to 60 on a rain slicked Marshcreek?
Lesson learned: get a SUV.

17 Concerned February 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Thank you for the update and the prayers!! This is my cousin and were all scared ad don’t know anymore information. We appreciate the prayers and good vibes and thank you for not putting negative comments.

18 Friend February 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM

He was airlifted to Kaiser Vacaville because they specialize in brain injury. He is in the best place he can be right now, please keep him and his family in your prayers.

19 Mark February 28, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Glad the SUV driver is OK.

20 anon February 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM

people drive that road like theyre in the indy 500. that road needs some sort of slowing thing.

21 Larry February 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Marsh Creek Road is not a Freeway.Dry weather or wet weather it doe’s not matter.Quit driving STUPID!!!!!!! is my best advice.We the locals are sick and tired of this road being used as a short-cut ,for those that abuse everyone’s safety.

22 ANON February 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM

“We needs lots of prayers for this young man! ”
No way– he could have killed the other people in the other car– I would prosecute him & sue him forever..what he was doing was illegal & unsafe–have feelings for the innocent people not him..get real

23 Anon February 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM

So sad. Pray this young man will pull through! Accident looks horrible!

24 Cat Wrangler February 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I am so sad for this young man. He and his loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery..

25 Sean February 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Drove by right after it happened! Very horrible scene to see!! Wishing him a speedy recovery!!

26 CT February 28, 2014 at 8:15 PM

My prayers are with this young man.

27 Jim Shoes February 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Anon #23 I hope people feel the same about you during your time of need. Troll

28 Julie February 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Why was he in the passenger seat ? I passed by the accident a few minutes after it occurred and the injured person was unconscious in the passenger seat. To get him out of the vehicle the top of the car was completely cut off I see from photos. Is it certain he was the driver?

29 Sister February 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I am his sister. He is in critical condition, and I just ask for all the positive energy people can send his way. Thank you to those sending prayers and hopeful thoughts.To those who care more about the fact that he put other lives in danger – yes it is true, he was driving unsafely – but the fact remains, it is he who is on the brink of death, while the other party affected, walked away uninjured. Try to think of him as a person who is loved and cared about deeply by a lot of people – people who would be devastated by losing him. By passing judgement on him for this single mistake, categorizing him as reckless, and condemning him by saying “I would prosecute him and sue him forever” (forever being a word that doesn’t hold any value when it comes to the fragility of life), you are showing a severe lack of compassion, and an ignorance of the fact that, regardless of how safe of a driver you consider yourself to be, you and those you deeply care about could just as easily put yourself or themselves in the same situation.

30 Puma February 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Well said Sister! Positive thoughts to you & your family!!

31 @Sister February 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I wish your brother and the rest of your family the best. I hope your brother recovers quickly and completely. Please keep us posted.

32 mamatosix February 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM

@ sister
we were all young once and did crazy reckless things. I am sorry your brother had such harsh consequences. Our family is praying for you and yours and wrapping you all in love and compassion.
Know that there are more of us with compassion and prayer than there are haters. Much love.

33 A MOMENT OF SILENCE February 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Behold, I will bring it health and healing; I will heal them and reveal to them the abundance of peace and truth.

Jeremiah 33:6

Heavenly Father, I am broken and in pain because of the injuries caused by this accident. However, I thank You for protecting my life O Lord! Father, the Scripture says that there is nothing impossible for You. I believe in Your healing power. Deliver me from all pain and grant me a quick and complete recovery O Lord! I know that we are healed by Your stripes. Stretch forth Your healing hand and let Your power descend upon me even now. I do not want to be a burden to my family. Grant me complete healing Lord and make me whole so that I can resume my day-to-day life. I know You are listening to my prayer and I trust in Your mercy and compassion. Strengthen me O Lord and let every weakness pain and suffering leave my body right now Master! Thank You for answering my prayer. I expect a miracle from You O God & I Pray in Jesus’ Name.Amen.

34 Jess February 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Sister, my thoughts and prayers are with your brother and your family. Please ignore the ugly, thoughtless posts. Most of us are sending good thoughts your brother’s way.

35 Anon is a worthless piece of crap March 1, 2014 at 2:16 AM

To that horrible person who wrote that e should be punished and prosecuted you are such an insensitive piece of crap. He is a humanbein and a son, brother, friend, loved one to people. What the hell is wrong with you saying such horrible things when he and his family is going through so much right now. You can’t say that you have always been perect your whole life and never had a laps in judgement or made a mistake everyone has we are humans. For you to be this insensitive in such a serious situation means you are a truly ugly person with no heart or compassion for anyone. Put yourself in his families situation would you ever want to hear a worthless piece of craps perception in such a tragic time?! No so shut the hell up and grow a heart. He and his family need nothing but positive energy and prayers. I pray that he makes a fast recovery and he will be in my prayers each day and I hope to see him home soon.

36 CoCo Medic March 1, 2014 at 4:39 AM

He would be taken to Kaiser Vacaville for one reason and one reason only: John Muir had to have been on trauma bypass. In other words, already had multiple trauma patients come in at the same time, and they didn’t have the resources to handle another. Kaiser Vacaville is a trauma center for Solano County, so they would be one of the next closest trauma centers to take him to. Other options would be Highland (which doesn’t have a helipad) or Eden, just to name two. The specializing in brain injuries would have nothing to do with it.

37 Sean March 1, 2014 at 7:25 AM

@Julie.. He was hit that hard that the passenger side of the vehicle ended up almost on the driver side. The car almost tacoed..

38 Nicki March 1, 2014 at 7:43 AM

@sister, My son Jake is a close friend. Please know that our family and many of my friends are praying for his recovery. My heart goes out to your family.

39 Donna March 1, 2014 at 8:15 AM

@sister…I am praying for your brother and your family, please keep us posted. At people that want to put negative posts, I am sure that at some point in your life you did not use the best judgment, if you have nothing positive to add….DON’T, he is a son, brother, nephew, cousin, and a friend to others and I am sure deeply loved by others.

40 landana March 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Its not just the young that drive like this and its not just reckless people. Sometimes its a mother in a hurry to pick up her kids, or someone is late for work or an interview. Not saying its ok to drive reckless , but to pass judgement when someone is in this condition is ignorant and pointless. What is done is done and I don’t believe anything negative needs to be said. What ever lesson there is to learn here he has learned.
I hope for the best and that he will fully recover. No one is perfect or above doing unsafe things at times.

41 @sister March 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM

my son Steven is also his friend and we are all praying for his recovery.

42 Wit-Sec March 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

@Sister

One significant mistake is not representative to your brothers character. Your brother has many attributes to offer his family, his friends & strangers he will meet in the future.

This one mistake does not reflect who your brother is & will never define your brother.

43 Julie March 1, 2014 at 11:23 AM

@sean I thought that is what happened so very sad! @sister I want you to know I drove by the scene minutes after the accident. It was obvious by the position of the two vehicles he was the one out of control. It DID not matter to me who was at fault. I saw the seriousness of the situation and started crying and immediately praying for him. To me he is viewed as a person and is valued because he is a human life and people love him. I was so upset and I searched all morning and throughout the day yesterday for updates on him. I am still praying for him and your family and am so very sorry. Positive thoughts and prayers are coming from me.

44 M & S March 1, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I am happy to here that the young man in the Madzda is still with us.

we are the concered couple and ownwers of the suv.

Our prayers are with him and his family.

Please keeps us informed.

45 Cracky McGee March 1, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I made bad choices too when I was a teenager. While I agree he clearly shouldn’t have been driving so fast, I will not sit here and pass judgement on this young man while he is in a hospital trauma center fighting for his life. We are praying for him & his family …

46 Mimi (original) March 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Praying for this young man and hoping against hope that drivers, experienced and inexperienced remember this accident when they think they’re capable of overcoming road conditions.

47 Clayanon March 1, 2014 at 4:38 PM

@sister there is not a human being alive who has never made a mistake. We all do “dumb” things no matter what our age. Please remember all the good people with good thoughts and prayers for your brother. Any negativity is just something to ignore.
Bless you and your brothers family and friends. Stay strong.

48 Safari March 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Still praying for a quick recovery for the young man and for the other couple who were involved.

49 we care sis March 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Prayers to your brother and family…sorry you had to read some of the insensitive remarks..I have walked in your shoes and can feel your prain..great job for expressing your feelings..most of us are listening and care.

50 Kasey March 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

My son is also a friend of this young man. We are sending out prayers for his recovery. I’ve met his mom on several occasions, I know she must be so worried about her child. My thoughts are with all of you who care for this wonderful young man.

51 Friend of Family March 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

He’s a great kid and I was able to see him today along with hs loving family. For the ignorant one not seeing this is simply a 19 year old kid going a bit too fast on his way to work….then you my friend are in denial. People are speeding constantly. I am thankful no one else was injured, I am thankful that his parents still have their son. I will add you to my prayers that the next time you speed….becauee we all have even its 5 miles over….you are speeding. If he ever has the opportunity to even drive again, I am most positive, this boy has learned his lesson on safer driving. Thank you all for the positive vibes and prayer!

52 Gary March 3, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Sounds like we need more CHP presence out there……I hate driving it.

53 Joy March 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I am praying for him and asking for healing. I am so sorry to the family that some of the people that use Claycord as a forum to speak and show their lack of compassion for other human beings! Clearly it doesn’t represent what Clayton/Concord residents are like! No family should go through what his is experiencing right now. I know the pain of getting “that” call from EMT’s. When your son is being rushed to the ER by ambulance or air, that is the time that you need prayers and compassion from the community. Not the time for someone to speak their mind! Sending prayers to the family for strength and light from above.

54 Heather Carr March 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM

@SISTER

HI, I am friends with your others Karen, we are gym family from ufc, everyone from our group have been praying for your brother. We also are trying to get in contact with your mother and let her know we are thinking of your family. Please pass this info to her and if she can contact me please email me with the info as many concerned friends would like to get ahol of her and send encouraging words. Please email Me heatherstylist@sbcglobal.net
we will keep him in our prayers
Heather Carr