Contra Costa Woman in Her 40s is County’s Latest Flu Death

February 26, 2014 · 9 comments

A Contra Costa County woman died recently from complications related to the flu, county health officials said today.

The woman was in her 40s and died sometime over the past month, Contra Costa County Health Services spokeswoman Kate Fowlie said.

She was the seventh person in the county under 65 years old to die from the flu since December, Fowlie said.

At least some of those cases were confirmed to be the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, the spokeswoman said.

The virus first surfaced in the U.S. in 2009, prompting the first global pandemic in more than 40 years as well as numerous hospitalizations and deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

As of last Friday, more than 55 flu deaths have been recorded in the Bay Area since the beginning of this flu season and 278 have been statewide, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Most of the Californians under 65 who have died from the flu this season had underlying health conditions, according to state health officials.

The health department is recommending that all residents get vaccinated against the flu.

1 Sheila February 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Praying for her family…..

2 Jody February 26, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Intrested to know how many of those deaths had the flu vaccine???

3 dree February 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM

My heart goes out to all the families that have lost someone.
I’m one of those who can’t take the flu shot so I try to be extra
careful. Take care of yourselves everyone!!!

4 Anon2you February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Did she also have “underlying health conditions”? Did she get vaccinated?

5 Lorraine DeSousa February 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Yes, I am also interested in knowing how many of the people that passed actually had a flu shot?

6 sara February 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM

This is so scary & sad. From Jan 21 to Feb 1 of this year I was in a coma & on life support having contracted the h1n1 virus. The doctors didn’t expect me to make it but I pulled through & recovering nicely. Would like to point out I DID get flu shot this year. Prayers go out to this family.

7 Jenna February 26, 2014 at 6:35 PM

It would be great if we were given more information about these deaths, such as: had the people received flu shots, and what were the underlying health issues, so that perhaps people who have these issues could be more pro-active.

8 Concerned February 26, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Prayers for family. The flu has been pretty bad here in Concord. I had it at the start of this year and it was horrible, it’s the worst flu. Hospitals and clinics were so over crowded. I did not get flu shot, but my three young children did and they did not get the flu. My husband didn’t get the flu or the shot either and I was so scarred it was going to get passed around the family as does every cold and flu. Thank god it didn’t! Be cautious!

9 cornfed February 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Very sad for the family. It’d be nice to know what city. Otherwise, this is a snippet of useless information.