Beyond Claycord – SF Fisherman’s Wharf Fixture “The Bushman” Reported Dead

February 26, 2014 22:14 pm · 48 comments

The death of San Francisco’s notorious Bushman — one of two men who have made a living for decades by scaring tourists at Fisherman’s Wharf — is a loss to the area’s rich culture of street performances, a wharf official said today.

Troy Campbell, executive director of the Fisherman’s Wharf Community Benefit District, said Gregory Jacobs was a fixture at the wharf for 30 years who usually sat in front of the Anchorage Building on Jefferson Street.

He would typically sit behind a couple of branches, wait for an unsuspecting tourist to walk by, and then lunge at them, sometimes growling.

Those he startled might scream or yell, but many stayed to watch and laugh at others as they got the same scare, Campbell said.

Often a crowd would form, and many people left money in the tip jar for the free show.

Jacobs was one of two people doing the Bushman act. The other, David Johnson, styles himself the World Famous San Francisco Bushman.

“You hate them when you get scared by them, you love them when you see other people get scared by them,” Campbell said.

“They really add to the character of the area,” Campbell added. “Long before I moved to San Francisco I had heard about the Bushman.”

Duggan’s Funeral Home on 17th Street in San Francisco confirmed that a viewing is scheduled for Jacobs on Tuesday.

NOTE: Video of Gregory “Bushman” Jacobs was created over three years ago, and is unrelated to the story of his death.

1 Teacher February 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Even though I knew the “Bushman” was there and knew what he would do he still always scared me. I would laugh when I would take relatives to SF who did no know and watch their faces when the bush moved. He will truly be missed.

2 Teacher February 26, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Did not know

3 Candyland February 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM

How did he die?!

4 NRA #1 fan and member February 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Are you serious? IMO this clown was an embarrassment for San Francisco.

Glad he wasn’t in WC, I’d pay him to go back to where he came from if he was.

5 eric February 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Don’t think he will be “missed” for long as I am sure there will be a dozen or so people trying to capitalize and take over his spot. I find it hard to believe he makes $69,000-$73,000 a year as he states in the video. If he does, that is a shame because that is more than I make as a public high school teacher. Well, I guess I really blew it spending all those years studying and working hard learning at San Francisco State University. Is it time for me to rethink my career? Maybe I can become the newest “Bushman of SF”!

6 NoMoreFreeRide February 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Damn shame used to love taking friends down there and watching their reactions.

7 KenInConcord February 26, 2014 at 11:14 PM

This is San Francisco’s gift to the world. …… Totally embarrassing

8 J. February 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I wonder if this would work in downtown Concord? I sure could use $73K/year.

9 Anonymous February 26, 2014 at 11:24 PM

KenInConcord why don’t you kick the dead man a little harder while he is down? You are classless. Stanley Roberts is classless to.

10 Brenda February 26, 2014 at 11:32 PM

RIP, Bushman. Laugher is the best medicine and you did indeed make people laugh and put smiles on faces for many years.

11 Hump Day February 26, 2014 at 11:35 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with his family…….

12 Duck February 26, 2014 at 11:41 PM

“Candyland …How did he die? ”
He got sprayed with Roundup …………or maybe he drank it !
RIP Bushman .
That dude use to crack me up !!!

13 Dr. Jellyfinger® February 26, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Candyland – They forgot to water him.

14 Dr. Jellyfinger® February 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Oh, that wasn’t very nice…… sorry. It was a heart problem.

15 J. February 27, 2014 at 12:03 AM
16 gasai yuno February 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Awwwww he was super funny :< rip

17 Z-Man February 27, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Stanley Roberts has covered this guy in the past:

and

18 Old dude? February 27, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Back in the day, you would see the likes of Robin Williams,
Harry Anderson and his dog , and others with real
talent. It was fun and safe, and there was a light feeling
about the heart of the Wharf.
Does this compare?, I think not.
I wish this guy a peaceful journey, but never found
him “entertaining”. Give me a good juggler , or
Balloon artist any day, or even a Majician.
R I P,” Bushman”.

19 Russ February 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM

I never thought that getting the snot scared out of me was in the least bit funny………….

20 PH FAN February 27, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I read he died of heart failure…he was 60 years old.

21 City Girl February 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Seriously????

Please tell me this guy lived in Claycord.

22 Antler February 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Russ, me neither. Especially not a disheveled male jumping out at me!

23 Oh the irony February 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Gotta love the snarky Claycord commenters. Glad I only work in this area…

24 Post #4 needs to get a life... February 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM

So now the arrogant wine and cheese NRA brass of WC living in their glass houses need to pick on the bushman…who only tried to make people smile or laugh.

NRA #1 douchbag:
Why dont you please go back into your glass house and play with your toy guns…away from the rest of us. nobody misses you anyways.

And YOU are the real embarrassment, clinging to your guns and religion.

25 To the Haters of Claycord February 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Dear Claycord trolls:

I wonder how many of you haters out there have ever done anything in your pathetic lives to make some random stranger laugh or smile…i am guessing the answer is NEVER. You unfortunate d-bags are so concerned with driving around in your SUVs and taking your spoiled rotten children to soccer practice that you probably give little thought to others.

So stop hating on someone who tried to lighten up people’s moods and entertained tourists in SF. His life was more precious than yours will EVER be.

26 The Mamba February 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I consider myself a bushman.

27 Mom of the Horde February 27, 2014 at 11:19 AM

The guy was a jackass. Good riddance I say. Last time I saw him, he said something rather rude to my 13 year old.

28 Vicky February 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Thank you Hump Day(#4) for having a little class. And treating people with dignity and respect. He was a human being.

29 Kirby February 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I wish I had known it was supposed to be entertaining when he did that to me.
I thought he was another crack addict on the street. Sad!

30 Anon February 27, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Did he ??
1. pay taxes on $70,000 @ year
2. have city permit ??
3. ever get arrested for aggressive panhandling as Stanley Roberts showed ??

31 Meth Monsters February 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM

R.I.P bushman!!!!! Don’t listen to theses squares half probably never even seen u or been to San Fran cuz their to scared to leave ther house!!!!! YOU WERE THE BEST AT WHAT CHA DID!!!!!

32 Attn: "To the Haters of Claycord" February 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Your posting indicates a diusturbing level of passive aggressive animosity. Whether you realize it or not, you possess a level of hatred which is equal to, or greater than, those people toward whom you are directing your vile utterance. I applaud The Mayor for tolerating such socially destructive behavior. You may want to further explore your feelings with a psychiatrist. There may still be an opportunity to reverse this pattern before you destroy yourself and your family.

33 Huh? February 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM

@Attn–34

Your anger is showing as well. You’re doing the same thing. You just don’t realize it, or you don’t care. Or both. Get some help before it’s too late.

34 @27 February 27, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Thank you for being a compasionate person. The “Bushman” was quite entertaining but sadly too many on here think crap like Seinfeld and BEvis & Butthead are entertainment…….As for Queen Antler, remember she knows all and is the Queen of all Claycord. Only she and her minions matter on this “blog”
Meth Monster – Bingo………too many fragile lower middle class suburanites in Claycord. T
#34 – you pound sand in you anal orifice.

35 Craig February 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM

#27 is not a compassionate person. That sounds like the anger of a dictator. #11 (Hump Day) is a very compassionate person. This man lost his life. He died too young. God bless him.

36 Cowellian February 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Back when my Mom was alive, my folks came to visit, so we went to Fisherman’s Wharf to play tourist. The Bushman scared the hell out of my Mom when he jumped out, but it was one of her favorite memories of San Francisco.

Mamba@28, I see what you did there.

Anon@32, The police stopped arresting him because the juries wouldn’t convict him.

37 Mark February 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Sad life. RIP.

38 Richard Ziemba February 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Sorry to hear that, loved to watch him scare the tourists. Does anyone
remember the “Human Jukebox” that gave away ties if you stumped him.
He was great!!

39 To the Haters of Claycord February 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

@Craig February 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM
#27 is not a compassionate person. That sounds like the anger of a dictator.

Wow, so by me stating the obvious (that claycord is full of trolls who cant appreciate a person’s life and honor it with some degree of respect) I am automatically a “dictator”. What part of my truthful statements indicated to you that I am capable of being a harsh ruler over others, thus starving them of obtaining economic prosperity and social freedom????

Some of you people seriously need therapy, or maybe just teach your children NOT to become as rude and pathetic as you are. please.

40 @29 Mom of the Horde February 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM

And I am guessing have not taken your meds today – hence the anger towards a dead man who was trying his best to make other people around him happy.

41 @34 February 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM

And you sir, sound like someone who passes judgement on people you dont know rather quickly. Do you even have a background in psychology? I seriously doubt it – so perhaps you are one who should stop judging others so harshly, if you dont have the credentials to back up your statements.

But if you are indeed a head doctor, perhaps you can subscribe some much needed medication to “Mom of the Horde”. She needs to calm down just a little bit.

42 Trolls February 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Please give the bushman his due. respect those who have passed away, and realize the good they did.

At least for one day…then you can return to driving around in your SUVs with your snotty A$$ kids and being inconsiderate of others

43 @ The Momba #28 February 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM

That’s awesome, I’m with you.

44 Nicole February 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM

@ To the Haters of Claycord, (41)

You’re feeding into Craig’s theory. See Hump Day, (11), Richard (40) and Louisa (46) as to “how to respond” on a thread when someone passes away.

With kindness and compassion, and dignity and respect.

Thank you.

45 FB February 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I saw him a few times scaring people. Surprised he didn’t give some elderly person a heart attack. I thought he might surprise the wrong person sometime and end up with two shots to the chest and one to the head. Anyway, sorry he died too young.

46 Anon February 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Just look at the video where he threatened the People Behaving Badly man–also 1000 citations – he was a law breaker & the courts did nothing–what a joke. & he did not pay taxes…sure he is a National treasure….NOT

47 Britgeekgrrl February 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Couldn’t stand the guy or his “joke”.

48 Cowellian February 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Welcome back to Claycord, Britgeekgrrl.