ALERT: Possible Mountain Lion Sighting in Crystyl Ranch

February 26, 2014 · 50 comments

There has been a possible mountain lion sighting in Concord’s Crystyl Ranch neighborhood.

I live in the Crystyl Ranch neighborhood and today saw a young mountain lion at the intersection of Rolling Woods and Crystyl Ranch Drive. It was on the walking path headed south (away from the homes).

Thanks for the note.

We do have mountain lions in our area, so if you encounter one, make a lot of noise, and make yourself look as large as possible.

1 Elwood February 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Yay!

Big Kitty!

2 MikeT February 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM

More mountain lions in the area are a direct result of not enough Corn snakes and Olive Gardens (Can I get a amen)

3 Mary Ann February 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM

still with the olive garden and cornsnake references? That stopped being funny in 2011…. sigh.

4 Dwight Schrute February 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM

AMEN!

5 MikeT February 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Sorry Mary Ann, I still get a laugh from it

6 Cowellian February 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Amen!

7 Just a Kid February 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I love animals, but when I see mountain lions on the news I get scared. I can make lots of noise but I don’t think I’m very large. I’m only 11.

8 Anon2you February 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Maybe it will eat CrYsTyL rAnCh BoObBy…

9 mutts February 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Oh boy, Fluffy will be a tasty morsel!

10 anon February 26, 2014 at 3:06 PM

What a great experience to have. They normally see us and leave before we see them.

11 anonymous February 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Since Mountain Lion hunting was banned in California we have had three women slaughtered and eaten by these beautiful carnivors.

12 a February 26, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Cougars near Clayton? No way…

13 Grumpy Old Man February 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM

AWESOME creatures! I wish I had some Purina Mountain Lion Chow to put out for him/her.

14 Silva February 26, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I’ve never seen one. Glad to know they’re still around. If anyone in Chrystal Ranch is going to be upset about it, please remember they were there first!

15 slagheap February 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM

i’m generally skeptical about reported mountain lions. even well meaning observers are often in error. not necessarily commenting on this particular episode, maybe what he/she saw was indeed a cougar.
one easily seen distinguishing characteristic, particularly in adults, is the very long, thick tail, darkening in color towards the tip.

16 Lari February 26, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Whoa…that mountain lion better watch out for the Crystyl Ranch Mob.

17 L February 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM

#14, I totally agree. They were here first, that is something that many of us forget.

18 HereKittyKittyKitty February 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

LOVE cats. I’m so glad they are around. Hope he stays safe.

@Grumpy Old Man–Funny! :)

19 JLG February 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM

We have had them on this part of the mountain for as long as I can remember.
They have a direct route down the mountain from some pretty remote areas.

20 AMEN!! MikeT!!! February 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

And a Halleluiah!!

21 NerdyDigger February 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM
22 Jason February 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Couple other good things not to do when encountering a mountain lion:

-Don’t stare into their eyes. I’ve heard this leads them to believe you’re challenging them

-Don’t walk with your back to them. That’s how they ambush others

-Don’t bend with your back. They may see you as a four legged mammal

(BTW, I actually encountered a mountain lion back in Clayton during Fall/2011. He was far enough away and proceeded back into the creek after looking at me for about ten seconds)

23 Anon2you February 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

@ a #12
LMFAO!

24 anon February 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM

oh good. make yourself look as large as possible. Thanks for that recommendation cause i’m having toast w/ butter and was thinking i should pass on it. maybe i’ll get some ice cream too.

25 Vicky February 26, 2014 at 4:37 PM

@Anon2you—8

Do you ever shut up?

26 anon February 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM

oh, and amen.

27 Cowellian February 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Why do you care, Vicky?

28 Commuter Guy February 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

No doubt this is a job for the Crystyl Ranch Mob – I’m sure they’re on it already.

29 RunnerDope February 26, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I’ve been running in the local hills and Mt. Diablo since the mid 1960’s. I’ve run marathons and ultras, often running from Concord to Blackhawk and back, and I’ve never seen a mountain lion. I have seen plenty of bobcats, some quite large that I have mistaken initially for mountain lions. It does get your heart going! Just my experience.

30 Shasta Daisy February 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I just looked at images of both……I’m not sure that I would be able to see the difference between a bobcat and a young mountain lion.

As I have mentioned before, I have seen….what I thought to be a bobcat…several times along the trial that is parallel to the creek.

I walked in that area yesterday. A good reminder to be more aware of my surroundings.

31 Sabrina February 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM

anon#24, Not everyone is morbidly obese. If weight is an issue, leave it in the fridge or cupboard. Today isn’t the day for ice cream anyway.

32 Mustang Sally February 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Can anyone please explain the Olive Garden/corn snake inside joke to the rrest of us newbies?

33 Atticu Thraxx February 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM

See if you can get us a picture Shasta Daisy. I mean real carefully.
Hah! Good one Lari. I remember those bozos.

34 anon February 26, 2014 at 4:59 PM

oh sabrina, not sure how you got what you did out of that. it was a bit of humor.

35 RunnerDope February 26, 2014 at 5:24 PM

@Mustang Sally,

There was a picture of a gopher snake posted here a few years ago that several people identified as a rattlesnake. Quite a heated debate ensued. The picture had either been photo-shopped or taken with a telephoto lens which distorted the perspective to make the shape of the head strongly resemble a rattlesnake’s head.

36 Vicky February 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Well, anon, you’re referring to Sabrina, not me. When people respond like that, they’re annoyed by your post. It’s no big deal. It’s a blog…..

37 Tweety February 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I tawt I saw a puffy tat!, I did I aghhhhhhhh!

38 mom February 26, 2014 at 6:28 PM

How cool is that to see one. Hope some fool or fools don’t go out & try to harm them. Like others have said they were here first.

39 Cowellian February 26, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Olive Garden is a Claycord tradition dating back to 2007. Whenever there is talk of any kind of new business in Claycord, Olive Garden is always brought up, much to the chagrin of all the folks who hate any kind of chain restaurant.

40 Shasta Daisy February 26, 2014 at 6:44 PM

@Atticus Thraxx #33…A couple of months ago, I sent the mayor a photo that I took on a trail along the Galindo Creek. He posted it on CLAYCORD.
I think most people agreed that it was a bobcat. But after looking at photos of young mountain lions, I’m not sure I could tell the difference.

41 Mustang Sally February 26, 2014 at 7:30 PM

@RunnerDope & Cowellian; Much appreciated!

42 Mustang Sally February 26, 2014 at 7:37 PM

@Shasta Daisy, I see what you mean, the kittens have similar coloring & markings.

43 WC Resident February 26, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Good putty tat!!

44 Antler February 26, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Hi, Shasta Daisy! There is a big difference in size. And both species of the moms try to keep the kittens out of sight as much as they can. I have seen both: The cougar ws looking down at me from a cliff about 150 feet ahead (and 50 feet higher than I was) when I was hiking alone in Siskiyou County. I kept right on walking, made clanking noises by hitting my metal flashlight against my drinking cup, and sang and shouted as loudly as I could. It turned and ran slantwise and away from me up the hillface it was on. Unfortunately, that direction was also toward the lake where I was headed. So I kept shouting for a few more yards, but then decided to hightail it back to camp.

The bobcat sightings were near Lake Pillsbury and then on Mount Diablo near Rock City. But I think that…..at least at a DISTANCE……the difference between bobcats and large, scruffy feral domestic cats can sometimes be difficult to discern…..at least for me, unless the cheek and ears fur tufts are clearly visible, and some kitty cats have similar tufts, too.

I liked your post “Please rain.” And we’ve heard two lovely rolls of thunder over here within the last half hour. Cheers!

45 Atticus Thraxx February 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I remember that Shasta , I would have bet Bobcat. But now I have doubts too. Pretty cool they’re here. Until someone loses an eye.

46 Saw one there last week! February 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I was hiking up in that exact area last week and ran into a mountain lion.. It was coming toward Crystal Ranch on a single track trail. When he saw me and my 2 dogs, it stopped, turned, and loped away.. I have lived here my whole life, and this is the first time that I have seen one that I was SURE was a mountain lion:) Drought conditions maybe bringing them closer to water? Most of the ponds are dry..

47 The Mamba February 27, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Cool, mountain lions are a sign of a healthy ecosystem. There’s room for them and us in them there hills.

48 Claycord Cornsnake February 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I have the exact sssssame markingssss as a mountain lion. It wassss probably me, you sssssaw.

49 MikeT February 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM

@ Claycord Cornsnake, Love it!!

50 chalkboy8 February 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM

If we see a mountain lion or bobcat, should we dangle a piece o’ yarn in front of him?