UPDATE: CHP: Pedestrian Injured in Collision on Treat Blvd. Ran Against Red Light

February 25, 2014 · 22 comments

A pedestrian who was struck by a car in unincorporated Walnut Creek this morning apparently ran into the intersection against a red light, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

The collision was reported at 6:39 a.m. at Treat Boulevard and Jones Road, located just southeast of the Pleasant Hill/Contra Costa Centre BART station.

A man was running in a marked crosswalk at the intersection against a red “do not walk” sign, CHP Officer John Fransen said.

At the same time, a 2010 Mazda began to head into the intersection after a green light. The pedestrian continued running and collided with the car as it traveled at about 5 miles per hour, according to Fransen.

He said the man, who is about 60 years old, suffered moderate injuries.

The man was taken to John Muir Medical Center to be treated for his injuries and an update on his condition was not immediately available.

RELATED STORY: Vehicle -vs- Pedestrian Near Treat Blvd. & Jones Rd. – Major Injuries Reported

1 Wow! February 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Ran against red light and was hit? THERE’S A SHOCK!

You wonder where “blaming the victim” comes from? talk about setting yourself up. Who the heck runs against a red light? A moron? People are trying to get to work at that hour, and shouldn’t have to worry about “a morning walker or jogger.” By the way, I go to work early in the morning, and I’m an early jogger. I jog LOGICALLY!

80% of victims are volunteers. It ruins it for the 20% that truly are victims.

Am I blaming the victim? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!

2 Mid February 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Why does it have to be about blame? It’s an accident, neither party was paying attention. It happens. Calm down… or better yet, put all that passion and anger towards something that is actually intentional injustice. There is plenty of that in the world.

I am glad both parties are alive, and may this see as a good lesson to all that cars don’t always stop for pedestrians, so please be careful out there, regardless of which side of the bumper you are on.

3 Serves him right. February 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM

running against a red light is a bad choice, no matter what. But I will bet money he will sue the driver, the police and the county. Somebody, anybody, because no one is ever at fault in this upside down state.

The driver should sue the runner, but then there is no punishment for being stupid or making bad choices.

4 Craig February 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM

@ Mid—–#2

I think it’s commonly known as “sending a message.” Some people need a wake up call.

Brutal honesty is always offensive, but very effective.

If that comment saves one person from running a red light while walking, jogging, etc., it was well worth posting.

You’re being tactful. Wow! is being brutally honest.

In this case, I’m with the person who’s brutally honest. It might save a life.

5 Anon February 25, 2014 at 5:15 PM

“neither party was paying attention”

How would you know that?? The Ped was an idiot & reserves what he got–the car driver has a accident on his record..no sympathy from those of us that see this every day — I honk at them & they always flip me of–I then tell them to keep it up as them may die soon & no one will care

6 Rob February 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I guess being 60 years old doesn’t help some people stop doing stupid stuff…

But this isn’t an “accident” – the guy didn’t “accidentally” run across that street – he made a choice to run across the street.

Most “accidents” are not at all “accidents” they are the result of people not paying attention, speeding, drinking, etc… all of which are choices people make…

7 Jerk February 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Who is the victim here? I would say the poor driver.

8 opinions February 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Most the people out there walking or jogging eyes glued to there I phone, oblivious to they’re surroundings, suprised it doesn’t happen more

9 Amy February 25, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I feel sorry for the driver.

10 @Mid February 25, 2014 at 6:31 PM

All “accidents” have a cause, they are not just accidents. Someone is to blame. In this case it is the pedestrian who is at fault. This was not a accident, it could have been prevented if the pedestrian had waited until his light was green.

11 Ted K., SuperMax February 25, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Stupid pedestrian… RED MEANS “STOP”.

And even if the light is green, NEVER assume or take for granted drivers have stopped. VERIFY.

There is such a thing as being a “defensive pedestrian” as well as a “defensive driver”.

End of story.

12 oh my February 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Seems people are imitating fire hydrants now.

13 Smokey February 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM

14 Anon February 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM

“I walk through plenty of red lights. But I know how to look both ways before crossing the street.”

Your day will come– keep up the “can;t happen to me” additude – some day Slick…………..

15 nytemuvr February 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Aren’t we all ingrained in our DNA to stay away from fast, large, moving things coming towards you?

16 David February 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

What an idiot.

17 Auntie Em February 25, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Hope the driver wasn’t texting or distracted.
AT 60 we may not run as fast as we used to and not be aware of it.
We also ASSUME drivers see us.

18 Gimli February 25, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Yeah I’m sure the guy was staring at his phone while running on red. Drivers would Never do that, the poor dears… :)

19 cabbie February 26, 2014 at 3:00 AM

It is called a crosswalk for a reason all you jogging nuts and you know who you are. Need to go to the running track and do your jogging there so the only one you will hurt is yourself. I have no sympathy for you getting run over while running in a crosswalk – it should be illegal.

Sad thing is that the driver is responsible for the pedestrian even in a red light situation drivers are told to look to the right then the left then to the right again before proceeding – Driver is at fault here I know sad but true.

20 @ Auntie Em February 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Well Auntie Em you do know that old joke about what ASS-U-ME stands for right? In this case it stands for getting ran over.

Darwin’s Theory in action…

21 SK February 26, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is that you are stupid and make bad decisions.

Hm… seems like that comment would be appropriate on a lot of Claycord stories!

22 @ Auntie Em February 26, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Please use logic here.

You see a big hunk of metal (or fiber glass) that weighs upwards of 4000 lbs coming toward you, and you just ASSUME you can walk in from of it, because you just ASSUME they can see you….

Wouldn’t it be a little smarter to ASSUME they can’t see you, and stay the f*ck out of the way?

You just might live a little longer.