Purse Finder Gets a BIG “Thank You” from a Grateful Claycordian

February 25, 2014 10:52 am · 31 comments

This note is from a Claycordian known as “Chevrolet Girl”, who wants to thank the good samaritan who found her purse at the Center Street Cafe & Deli in Clayton on Sunday afternoon.

“I was eating lunch with my family at The Center Street Cafe in Clayton on Sunday. That evening I realized I had left my purse on a chair at the cafe at an outside table. I would like to send out a big THANK YOU to the kind person who turned it in. They saved me a lot of headache. The thought of having to cancel credit cards and getting a new license was worrying me.

There seems to be a lot of bad things going on lately and it makes me feel better to know there are kind people still out there. Again thank you to the good samaritan for your kind deed and thank you to the employees at the cafe for keeping it safe for me, you guys are great!”

Smiles all around!

{ 31 comments }

1 Incognito February 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM

The good people still outweigh the scum in our society… unfortunately, the media gives more attention to the scum rather than the good. It’s nice to see a positive story every now and then.

2 just1dering February 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Great scam!
“Here is your purse, it’s all good”
(Now the person that returned it neglected to tell the owner that all of her info was copied and will be used with impunity and nothing being reported stolen.)

3 anon February 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

What a nice story about a good an honorable person within our community. A hero! :)

4 Lori February 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Would hate to live in the negative world that just1dering lives in. Can’t this be a great story among all the evil that is also out there? Glad you got your purse back.

5 just a concordian February 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Another way it could have gone down…

A man stands the street holding a purse frantically looking around. Suddenly he feels a blow to the head, falls down bleeding. The woman snatches the purse out of his hand while yelling obscenities and kicking him. The man, astonished at this sudden turn of events screams on the top of his lungs: “I found it at the restaurant, I was looking for you you @#$&%!* (^#%”
The woman stops, realizing her mistake, and helps the man up, apologizing profoundly. The man silently pulls out his phone, calls 911 and says “hello, operator, I want to press assault charges”

6 Excellent February 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Nice to see nice people doing good deeds out there.

7 Patty February 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM

On one occasion, I left my purse in the shopping cart after unloading the car and drove off. Upon realizing this, I raced back to Target and was happy to find out that somebody had found my purse and turned it in. I was unhappy to find out that Target had called my house and informed my guy that I left my purse in the shopping cart. Ugh! I heard about that for a while.

On another occasion, I left my purse in the shopping cart at the grocery store. Same story. But this time, when I raced back to find it, it was still sitting in the shopping cart in the middle of the parking lot. Whew!

Now, before I ever unload my shopping cart, the first thing I do is put my purse in the car. Now I have to make sure that I don’t somehow leave my keys in the purse, but so far, so good.

8 Mr. Pink February 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Center Street Cafe & Deli? Never heard of it.

9 Killjoy February 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Happy to hear you got everything back.
My wife and I walked past there just a couple of hours earlier on Sunday morning.

10 Cowellian February 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I love a happy ending!

11 Cynthia February 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Would be so nice if a Good Samaritan who may have found my diamond & gold bracelet in or around Dallimonti’s Restaurant on Saturday Night Feb 22nd would return it Maybe a nice reward if returned colacynthia@yahoo.com

12 Matt February 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Patty, keep your purse over your shoulder “at all times” and you won’t have to worry about it. It’s too easy to loose if you don’t. This is coming from my wife, by the way. I don’t carry a purse…..LOL.

If I decide to, I’ll go with “red.”

13 Clayton Squirrel February 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Clayton is a nice place to live!

That deli is very kind and I like them very much. They were very helpful in letting us advertise a community event when Subway wouldn’t give us the time of day. They have nice breakfast options too. My WC walking group will stop by there later this week as they enjoy it very much along with Clayton’s friendly trails.

14 just1dering February 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM

@ Cowellian, I love happy endings, too. But that’s another story for another time.

@ Lori, come on in, the water’s warm.
Just having fun, there are people out there that think like that.
Would you believe that just yesterday I found a brand new Samsung phone?
Yep, called Verizon, they told me the owner (it was a company) I called them and now they have their phone…oh what a negative world I live in…or did I steal the sim card before returning it?????

15 Anon February 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Great story. It’s always nice to hear about the good samaritians in our community.

16 MBee February 25, 2014 at 1:05 PM

WTG!! Cool. My wife lost her cell phone, a fancy note pad 3 worth 800 last week and a good person found it and had it for her. You know there are good people. Just the bad ones make it seem like the world sucks. It doesn’t Also Good return Karma I feel for all the good deeds like that my wife has done, she has found many things where she used to work, including purses and cell phones, and always kept them safe in lost and found or called the people.. If you find something, return it, you will save someone a lot of pain sometimes and get good return Karma maybe. If not, who knows. I aint religious but I do believe someone is watching, and taking notes, and we will get our reward for doing the right thing even when no one sees.

17 MBee February 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I should say this was a Walgreen employee that found my wife’s note pad and she is one of my wife’s hero . Seriously.. My wife was frantic…

18 iwasthere February 25, 2014 at 1:14 PM

#2, why so negative. Be happy!

19 uhhduhh February 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

@ just1dering: Seriously? You think downtown Clayton is crawling with savvy cyber-criminals? Let a feel-good story be a feel-good story.

20 Rick February 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM

This is definitely a good deed. But I think 95% of society would turn it in. You see stories in the news where poor people, single Mom’s, the recently unemployed, etc. turning in large amounts of cash.

100% of the people I know would definitely turn in a ladies purse. You have to be a real POS not to.

21 twilight February 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I hate it (and myself) so passionately when I lose something valuable that I would return something I found just to spare someone else those feelings. (and hope that someone would do the same for me.)

22 Sweet Caroline February 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I found a car key (the expensive kind with keyless entry fob) a few days ago at a local golf course. The very generous man it belonged to offered me $40 cash as he explained the expen$e of having to order a new one. I declined the cash but thanked HIM for the kind offer. It made my day to have saved him the time and trouble of replacing the key/fob. A “Thank You” was all I needed. Oh, and I got a great big hug, too! :)

23 Dorothy February 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Nice to have good news. There are more good people than bad ones. The good deed should be passed on somewhere along the line.

24 Monica February 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I have found (and definitely turned in). It’s a “no brainer.”

I agree with Rick. It’s human nature to turn in anything found. It’s a win/win situation.

It’s also human nature to be fearful if you lose something (purse, wallet, keys, etc.) thinking you’ll never see it again.

If you lose something, and somebody sees it, they’ll turn it in. I’ve also declined a reward. The “reward” for me was seeing the smile on someone’s face. A thank you was all I needed.

25 Incognito February 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I made a major mistake recently by starting to walk away from an ATM machine without totally closing out the screen… my mind was elsewhere because a good friend of mine had died suddenly. The woman after me called out to me what I had neglected to do! Talk about frantic! I can’t tell you how many times I thanked her. In another scenario, the end result may not have had a good ending.

26 Killjoy February 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I found a cell phone in a store one time. I scanned through the phone book in it to find either a number marked “Home” or “ICE” (In Case of Emergency).
I called the home number and some kid answered “Hi Mom”. Long story short, I got her phone back to her.
Another time, I was driving down the street, and saw a cell phone.
The way it was decorated it obviously belonged to a young lady.
I called the number labeled “Mom”.
When she answered, I immediately told her someone had lost a phone so she wouldn’t worry why some strange man was calling from her daughters phone.
It turns out they live down the street from me. I dropped it off at their house.

27 Reality Slap February 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM

It’s wonderful that someone would have turned in the purse….if it was a completely wonderful world I would say thank you and move on. Since it is not a perfect world, and identity theft is rampant, I would be thankful but would contact the credit card companies, my bank and the DMV to let them know my purse was turned in by a Good Samaritan but that it was out of my possession for a time; Mostly likely the companies and banks will reissue new cards. Better to be safe than sorry, identity theft can ruin your life.

28 Alan February 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Reality Slap, that would make more sense if your purse or wallet was lost or stolen, and never returned.

Healthy skepticism is healthy. Being cynical (you) is very unhealthy.

I really don’t think the person who turned it in or any employee went through it. f that was the case, the person probably wouldn’t of gotten her purse back.

29 P. H. Neighbor February 26, 2014 at 3:54 AM

So happy to hear someone turned it in.
It’s nice to read the positive stories.
Karma believer.

30 anonares February 26, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Someone left their purse at the 360 taco restaurant at the Willows a few years ago and I noticed it hanging on a chair. I sat their watching it and wondered the best way to return it to its owner. I was afraid to walk out with the purse or look inside to find out who the owner was. After a few minutes I decided to turn it in to the counter workers. I waited until all of them were together and gave it to them as a group. I hope it got back to its owner. We all have moments where we space out for just a second. Most of us are willing to watch your back.

31 jb February 26, 2014 at 8:16 AM

I myself have found several items…including a blackberry phone in the parking lot of Beverlys…turned it in to the store…but first called the phones owner to say his phone was found…and he could pick it up at Beverlys …always better to turn in property so the rightful owner does not have to worry….Think if you lost something…wouldn’t you want someone to turn in your property. I am glad we have good people out there that care…
I will try that cafe…sounds like a good place with good people that work there.