UPDATE: Victim Transported to Hospital Following Armed Home Invasion Robbery in Concord

February 23, 2014 · 66 comments

A victim of an armed home invasion robbery in Concord this afternoon was transported to a hospital with minor injuries, police said.

At about 3:15 p.m., Concord police received a 911 call reporting that a home invasion robbery had occurred in the 1100 block of Via Doble, located about two blocks south of Highlands Elementary School, police said.

Officers arrived at the residence and discovered that three suspects had entered the home and robbed the occupants. Police said the victims reported seeing two of the three suspects armed with guns.

One victim suffered minor injuries and was transported to a hospital with chest pains, police said.

The suspects are described as three Hispanic men. The first suspect is estimated to be between 20 and 30 years of age, standing 6 feet tall and wearing a red shirt. The second suspect is estimated to be 19 years of age, standing 5 feet 10 inches tall and also wearing a red shirt.

The third suspect is described as standing 5 feet 10 inches tall, with short buzzed hair and a birthmark above his upper lip. He was wearing a light blue shirt, a dark jacket and blue pants at the time of the robbery, police said.

The loss is still being determined and the investigation remains ongoing, police said. Anyone with additional information about this crime is asked to call Concord police at (925) 671-3030. Those who wish to remain anonymous may call the Concord police tip line at (925) 603-5836.

RELATED STORY:

1 Susan February 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Gangs? Red shirts is pretty much a give away. Glad it wasn’t worse.

2 zaacky February 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Look for them at the apartments on Ayers and Clayton Rd.
They are hanging outside.

3 Sad February 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Ok, so red shirts and blue shirts “sound gang related.”

But not necessarily. I doubt the Norenos and Sorenos work together. Or the Crips and the Bloods.

How “mighty white” of me. I know these things!

P.S. I wear red and blue all the time…..they’re popular colors. But then again, I’m not committing home invasions.

I think I would have chest pains, if not worse. How scary!

4 at sad February 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM

What is noreno and sorenos?

5 Sad February 23, 2014 at 8:52 PM

@ Sad—3

Keep in mind this is coming from a “white guy in his 50’s, living in the Northgate section of WC.” I’m watching the Olympic closing ceremonies.

Norenos (meaning North) are a Hispanic gang in Northern CA.

Sorenos (meaning South) are a Hispanic gang in Southern CA.

I do believe they’re rival gang members. But don’t quote me.

The fact that you don’t know who they are is probably a “good thing.”

6 Sad February 23, 2014 at 8:53 PM

That would be @Sad—-4

7 Funnyclown February 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Funny how that young latino (gang) stereotype is just exploited, it seems highly unlikely that gangbangers would wear that to a home invasion. Im no pro clayton or concord pd detective but its pretty obvious someone knew some inside info, doors always unlocked, huge amounts of cash , grow house, or just plain targeting someone in the home, and they only release what info is convenient.

8 Known Inventory February 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I’ve heard that home invasions are a result of what’s known to be in the house.
Either it’s cash (from drugs, gambling or some other cash business) ,drugs/firearms.
Or someone who has intimate knowledge of valuables such as what’s locked up in a safe.
Perhaps a former employee, associate, drug customer……

I’m thinking the largest % of Claycord is pretty safe from a home invasion.

I know nothing of this family and this may be one of the situations that is very atypical.

Just think that people should not panic.

9 NoMoreFreeRide February 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Drugs

10 michael February 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Gangs??? It seemed like it to me but then there was a kid in all blue and I don’t think blue and red are allies

11 Sad February 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I guess if I’m going to pretend to know anything about gangs, as a retired high school principal, I should at least spell things correctly.

That would be Nortenos and Surenos. I think……..

12 Rex February 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

The only thing that norteños and sureños have in common is the fact that they hate each other so all the assumptions that they were in a gang is really irrelevant. They may have been part of a gang but I highly doubt that this incident was gang related. I live in the same neighborhood and trust me this hits close to home, it just amazes me that this happend in the middle of the day, with guns.

13 Concord resident February 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Isn’t this unusual, especially for the area? From what I recall, it’s a well kept neighborhood. I don’t mean to stereotype, but what if they were landscapers? Perhaps they used landscaping as a way to case the neighborhood.

There once was some guy going up and down my street ‘selling strawberries’ but quietly and suspiciously, cutting across lawns. The later that night, my brother found the guy on the side of my neighbors house and scared him off.

You can’t trust just anyone these days.

14 Matt February 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Not all home invasions are “gang related”, but it’s very common. Rival gang members (Crips and Bloods or Nortenos and Surenos) DON’T commit crimes together. They do hate each other.

Armed home invasion robberies are enough to scare the living crap out of you. Even if you own guns yourself, and have them in your home, you won’t have time to get your weapon if these guys tie you up the minute they gain entry into your home.

I’m curious how many of them are random myself.

I’ve read it’s not uncommon for a young female to knock on your door to gain entry. Society is overly trusting of females in general.

15 Funnyclown February 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM

@ sad

Guessing, and im only doing that. <<<sarcasm or so i think.
U missed the Ñ.

Obviously my grammar is not correct, dont. Bother. On. Pointing, that out ¿

16 mutts February 23, 2014 at 10:29 PM

And right next door to our liberal politian, Mark. Could’ve been him, wonder if he’ll be bright enough to figure this all out. Were these guys legal? Who knows concord seems to be the new Oakland now.

17 Concord Resident February 23, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I know Oakland is far worse than Concord on its worst day!

18 ALicia February 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The family that this happen to was my daughters boyfriends Grandma. A beautiful lady who was minding her own business on a Sunday afternoon. What gets me is that one if those cowards has a birthmark on his lip. Ok time to man up and turn his sorry butt in. It’s not that hard. What a bunch cowards. You will be found each and every one you.

19 M February 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM

All these comments on this thread are making me facepalm.

20 Sid February 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM

3:15 on a Sunday afternoon is a strange time to burglarize a home. Most burglars want to avoid homeowners. They break in on a weekday while no one is home. But these guys wanted to do it while there were people home. Makes me think this was not random. The residents were targeted.

21 Funnyclown February 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Concord and Otown is a pretty harsh comparison.
We might as well be in Detroit, and all have ccw permits.
Just to make sure ANYONE thinks twice before committing such crimes,

22 Liberal Democrat February 24, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Clearly, the solution to this problem is stricter gun laws.

23 Stacy Albertson February 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Omg this is so terrible please put out sketches so we can find these men n they can be punished,I pray for the victims… so terrible when youcant feel safe in your own home….

24 dilligafman February 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM

S.O.S.

25 NoMoreFreeRide February 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Sounds like the cleaning lady tipped someone off.

26 anonymous February 24, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Yo Susan it’s not gangs cuz Theres not a blood following in Concord only ms13 which is technically blue so your wrong and the other guys was seen in blue. It was just some broke Mexicans trying to make fast money the stupid way.

27 @Liberal Democrat February 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Please respond intelligently. Data shows that looser CCW laws REDUCE violent crime. If these turds had CCW’s I would be shocked. If they bought their guns legally I would be shocked. So, what stricter gun law are you referring to? These people violated the already strict gun laws we have. Did that stop them? Hell no. So if you are referring to laws that will disarm law abiding people (they all do) then all you do is create a easier targets for scum like this. Subsequently, you get more violent crime.

I am trained and always armed at home. I always carry concealed. It’s no big deal and it’s as easy to carry as a cell phone. Just load it, holster it and it’s there for you and your loved ones. It’s a tool. No different from a hammer or an axe. Just more effective. At my house in Claycord, they would not have made it 5 feet before meeting their creator. No question about it.

If the thugs had gone to the wrong house, (who knows if they did or didn’t at this point) that house could have been mine – or yours !

Answer me this Riddler, if everyone on my street carried like me, do you think we would have a home invasion problem? Answer – NO.

Would we become the WIld West ? Well, the fact is, CCW holders across the nation are law abiding people that have not been committing violent crime. In every state I have researched, less than 1% of CCW holders have have their permit revoked or committed a violent crime with their gun. And remember, many revocations are a result of any number of unrelated offenses – You have to have a perfectly clean record to get and keep a CCW.

Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year — or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]

[1] Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, “Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun,” 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995):164. Dr. Kleck is a professor in the school of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee. He has researched extensively and published several essays on the gun control issue. His book, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, has become a widely cited source in the gun control debate. In fact, this book earned Dr. Kleck the prestigious American Society of Criminology Michael J. Hindelang award for 1993. This award is given for the book published in the past two to three years that makes the most outstanding contribution to criminology. Even those who don’t like the conclusions Dr. Kleck reaches, cannot argue with his impeccable research and methodology. In “A Tribute to a View I Have Opposed,” Marvin E. Wolfgang writes that, “What troubles me is the article by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz. The reason I am troubled is that they have provided an almost clear-cut case of methodologically sound research in support of something I have theoretically opposed for years, namely, the use of a gun in defense against a criminal perpetrator…. I have to admit my admiration for the care and caution expressed in this article and this research. Can it be true that about two million instances occur each year in which a gun was used as a defensive measure against crime? It is hard to believe. Yet, it is hard to challenge the data collected. We do not have contrary evidence.” Wolfgang, “A Tribute to a View I Have Opposed,” The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, at 188.

[2] According to the National Safety Council, the total number of gun deaths (by accidents, suicides and homicides) account for less than 30,000 deaths per year. See Injury Facts, published yearly by the National Safety Council, Itasca, Illinois.

28 anon February 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM

@anonymous # 28

There are no blood and crips in the bay, it all crews and squads that rep there block. There are no big ms13 gang in concord its most sureno (monument area) who wear blue and norteno (north concord) who wear red.

29 Joshua Mason February 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Home invasions are generally done when the thiefs need the people inside for something (unlock a safe, reveal the location of something etc), when there are always people in the home and you just choose the time with the least threatening people and/or when the goal is not simply theft but to send a specific message to someone associated with the home. I do not pretend to know the specifics of this case but suspect one of the above points is true here. As for the gang angle, there are Nortenos and Surenos in Concord – tho neither have a strong presence this far up Clayton Rd. It would not be uncommon for a northerner to wear a light blue shirt, it would not be uncommon for some of the assailants to be gang affiliated but each of them and it would not be a surprise if none of them were affiliated and just chose to wear red that day. Point is, wardrobe alone is not a reliable indicator of affiliation-contrary to conventional wisdom. Bloods and Crips are a non factor in the Bay Area period. Doesn’t mean they don’t exist but they are far and few between and mostly Asian or Pacific Islander

30 Annoyed Republican February 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM

@Liberal Democrat

You clearly don’t get the problem with guns. The problem is not the guns, it’s the owners and you are uneducated enough to say this when the guns are out there already. Having stricter gun laws is just going to ruin it for those who obey the laws and use the guns appropriately.. Many of the guns used in these scenarios are illegal or stolen, which means stricter gun laws WONT WORK. The cities with the strictest gun laws are the cities with the most crime. So before you make some dumb remark about “stricter gun laws”, please know what you’re talking about.

31 @27 February 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

You may have hit the nail on the head. I’ve learned of too many instances where people have been ripped off. In many cases they have cleaning ladies, gardeners and/or just had their house painted. As #13 said “You can’t trust just anyone these days.” I highly doubt this particular home was chosen at random.

32 ConcordMike February 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Home invasion robbery could have been a burglary turned robbery. Thieves may have acted like landscapers and thought nobody was home, but surprise…! From listening to the television news, it sounded like there was a teenager living at the home. Setup?
Also, Clayton/Concord is near Ygnacio Valley Rd, an alternative traveled route between Oakland and Pittsburg/Antioch. Could have been someone from Walnut Creek as well. Not all Walnut Creekers are angels.

33 Monday, Monday February 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM

This is scary, and I hope the victim is all right.

We live in a very nice neighborhood, but have a security screen door for this reason. I’ve never had a screen door in my life. I like the front door closed for privacy, and we have central AC.

At least no one can kick our front door in. Unfortunately, crime happens everywhere.

I have no idea if it’s “gang related”, or whether it’s random or not. Crime is crime, and unfortunately it happened…..

34 Liberal Democrat February 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Clearly, I need to use sarcasm font.

35 Shoil February 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM

The occupants probably have an idea who in their family associates with these invaders.

36 Sid February 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM

KTVU reported that a safe was stolen during the robbery. That makes me think this was not random. The house was targeted and the bad guys knew what they were going to take.

37 Wow February 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I too heard on the news that they stole a safe and if that’s the truth this robbery is 100% not random.

38 WTF? February 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM

LOL! This poor kid escaped and ran to his neighbors house for help and it was our anti-gun Marky Mark! What was Marky-Mark gonna do? Wet the bed?

39 @Wow February 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Really ? Who doesn’t have a safe ? I think most people do. Many small business owners do. Anyone with passports, birth certificates etc. should. How do you say with any degree of certainty that “it’s 100% not random ?”

Recently in Claycord, gang members were driving around in the afternoon waiting to catch people who were coming home. They jacked people at gunpoint at random, as long as they looked defenseless and un aware.

If you think you are immune from this problem we are having, you are simply ignorant.

40 Sheila February 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM

@Wow—-41

You really think most people have a safe? I think you’re referring to a safety deposit box. There’s a big difference between a “silver box for important documents” and a big safe with cash, jewelry, etc.

You’re watching too many movies……

41 Sid February 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

@WTF?, the bad guys tied up the grandma and the kid. They were long gone by the time the kid managed to get free and run to DeSaulnier’s house. DeSaulnier did what any of us would have done. He called 911. His owning a gun would not have altered the outcome in any way. What makes you so sure he doesn’t own one?

42 I heard on the news February 24, 2014 at 3:45 PM

that they stole #39’s common sense.

43 @@Wow February 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I call BS on the claim of gang members driving around Claycord in the afternoon and robbing people at gunpoint. Got any news reports to back up your claim?

44 Atticus Thraxx February 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Liberal Democrat, you’ll get used to it. Sarcasm even when explained, is lost on some of our fellow Claycordians.
I have it on good authority that you can’t just pull out a weapon and expect miracles to happen.And that it takes many,many hours of training and practice to effectively deploy a weapon inside a home, against multiple armed attackers, without shooting innocents.
I don’t see how our victim, elderly and caring for a minor could have brought a gun into play and had a positive outcome.

45 WC Resident February 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM

That is too bad that happened. I am sorry for the poor victims. It would be hard to trust people and feel secure after that. I pray they catch the creeps.
Little cowards.

46 Cowellian February 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM

No one really needs a safe if they have a sock drawer.

47 Anon February 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Anybody hear from Mark, on how the early release program is causing these kind of crimes? Maybe he’s trying to sweep that under the rug, along with his record (of supporting criminals).

48 @Atticus February 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Just to add, the neighbors say the robbers rang the doorbell, then pushed their way in when the woman answered the door. Even if she kept a gun in the house, she would never have had the opportunity to get it. If she did have a gun in the house, the robbers probably stole it along with the safe, so it would have ended up being just another gun in the hands of criminals.

49 @Sheila February 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I have a safe, and I’m nothing special. My guess is that anybody who owns more than a couple of guns has a safe. And that’s a lot of people.

50 Rick February 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM

I’m prefer a safety deposit box at the bank. But I agree with Sheila. Most people have a safety deposit box that can’t be destroyed in a fire. I doubt most people own a safe. If it’s not bolted down, or in the wall (the rich folks), it’s a pretty foolish thing to own. It’s the first thing a thief will walk away with.

51 @Shiela 42 February 24, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I had a safe deposit box. It was a pain in the ass and cost money forever. And I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Safe deposit boxes are also subject to seizure for a number of reasons. No thanks.

PS – I despise Hollywood and the last movie I saw was Caddyshack.

52 @Atticus 46 & 50 February 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Your premise is laughable. A properly trained gun owner doesn’t answer the doorbell without knowing who is there. And what “good authority” are you referring to? They key here is to be properly trained. That’s really not that difficult. I have THAT on good authority because I AM properly trained.

Obviously you are not, since you are talking out of your arse.

53 Anon February 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Mr Mayor, you truly are a mystery. You sensor some of my comments, as I think all illegal aliens should be deported and those who protect them should be jailed so they can get a first hand view of the world they would foster. Then you go and fix my typo. What a funny world, thanks.

54 Sheila February 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM

@Sheila42—-53

It was Rick who mentioned safety deposit boxes at the bank , not me. I was referring to the “silver boxes at home.”

But I’ve had a safety deposit box at my bank and credit union for years, and they don’t charge us. If they’re charging some customers and giving it to others free depending on assets, I think it should be free to everyone. Nobody is any better, some people are just better off.

If owning a home safe is working well for you…..good for you!

Paying for a safe deposit box would be a pain in the rear, and a total waste of money. I would never pay for one. Don’t get me started on bank fees.

55 Laura Zah February 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I always look first to see who is at the door. If I do actually open the door after dark I have a pistol in one hand out of view. If I see 3 guys I don’t know on my porch I don’t open the door! NO WAY! That’s just stupid (and I live in a nice neighborhood too).

56 gary February 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Unfortunately this kind of activity will get worse, look at all the guys standing infront of Home DDepot, alot of these guys are not working much, and rent is due every month.

57 Atticus Thraxx February 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM

That’s what I like about you gunslingers, always with the quick temper.
Our elderly victim clearly did not posses your legendary shooting skills, nor your keen sense of survival in this rugged urban environment. I’m sure she wanted to do a tactical roll to the door and come up spraying lead, but with the bad hip and all……
I have no such skills but hold people who claim they do on the internet in very high regard. I ask for quarter, sir.

58 Clayton Valley Grad February 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Laura, there’s really no reason to open the door with “a pistol in your hand.” It doesn’t make any sense. Open the door to people you know, and don’t open the door to anyone else.

59 @gary February 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I had no idea that Home Depot charged those guys rent. You learn something new every day.

60 Educated in Gangs February 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Many on here say Sureno’s and Norteno’s don’t affiliate. This is partially true, they don’t unless through family and or drug deals but other than that enemies. Now to say this person wearing blue wouldn’t hang out with red(nortenos) check the facts he’s wearing light blue. Norteno’s where light blue/baby blue as a “diss” to the sureno’s. Just glad nobody was hurt in this incident.

61 Alan February 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I hope she’s all right. This could happen to anyone. Sometimes its random, and sometimes it isn’t. I hope it wasn’t gang related. Hopefully they’ll find him. If so, throw the book at him.

62 WTF? February 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Educated in Gangs—-62

I wouldn’t admit it. If you have family or friends (or both) in gangs, that doesn’t say much for you.

Try a real education…..

63 @Atticus February 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM

You talk too much. The only guy who can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

That’s all.

64 @45 February 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I know cops. If you don’t want to believe it that’s your problem. You read it here first. But you go ahead and look for the story in the CC Times.

65 Nom de Plume February 27, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Just a random thought here. Maybe they were targeting Mr. DeSaulnier but got the wrong house? Doesn’t help with the publicity confirming he lives nearby.

66 VikingPrincess February 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM

#64
And to the poster(s) that jumps to conclusions and shoot out judgemental comments.

Have you considered this poster could be in law enforcement, corrections, Public service or psychology? And thus exposed the the info?

People gain knowledge of things from many sources other than “hanging out”.