Two Oakland Residents Arrested After Theft, Pursuit in Martinez

February 22, 2014 21:46 pm · 64 comments

photo

Two Oakland residents were taken into custody on Saturday after a theft at the Walmart in Martinez.

Police say a Walmart employee called dispatch and stated that two males had just left the store with numerous items of clothing and fled in a small light colored Toyota sedan.

Responding officers located the vehicle close to the store, and when Martinez officers attempted to stop the vehicle but it failed to yield, police said.

Martinez officer engaged in a pursuit of the fleeing vehicle. The pursuit continued west bound terminating in a solo rollover collision at Cummings Skyway and Franklin Canyon near the City of Hercules. The two suspects were taken into custody without incident.

The suspects were identified by police as 23-year-old Dejon Wilkes and 24-year-old Dominique Ewing, both of Oakland.

The stolen property was recovered and returned to Walmart, police said.

Thanks to Ashley for the picture showing the crash at the end of the pursuit.

1 J. February 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Go MPD!

2 lofty February 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Who rolls their car on Cummings Skyway over some clothes from Wal-Mart? These bozos need to go to Crime College and do some risk/reward analyses.

3 Blah February 22, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Come down on these people HARD!

4 Christina February 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Definitely witnessed this with my roommate as we we’re driving home! We drove right passed the turned over car which was all smokey and saw the two suspects get taken down!

5 boccegrl February 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Thank You MPD.

IT goes with the territory of Walmart

6 Sinn Feiner February 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM

All of that over some cheap items at Walmart!!

7 tt February 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Good job, wonder why they choose this Wal-Mart….

8 pc February 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Are the pickings that bad in Oakland?

9 Dr. Jellyfinger® February 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I’m so glad that it was possible to report this story without any mention of the race of the two individuals responsible for this boneheaded stunt. The fact that race was not highlighted speaks well for the entire Claycord community in that their comments judged the two criminals by the content of their character rather than by the color of their skin . Dejon & Dominique….( I’ll bet they aren’t Eskimos).

10 Mid February 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

They must be in a pretty bad place in life. I mean, to steal clothes from a Walmart? I doubt they were going to try to resell it all, I am sure Walmart clothes don’t exactly fetch a high price on the streets. If they were looking to make a profit or look good, they would have robbed something better. The fact that they did this tells me they were really desperate to just put some pants on. :(

11 Funnyclown February 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

The irony of stealing from walmart in martinez. They should focus on busting those drunk attorneys that leave downtown martinez after filing frivolous law suits and really stealing from our community.

12 Elwood February 22, 2014 at 10:53 PM

I won’t make any comment because the ever so PC mayor would just delete it.

But I will say good luck to Dejon and Dominique!

13 SamRox February 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM

They almost flipped their car in Westaire behind Walmart around 12:45pm. They drove right passed my parents house as we were getting into our car going maybe 50 mph or even faster, I even yelled out to the police which way the two idiots went!

14 SamRox February 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM

It was the Dodge cop car that was following them through my neighborhood. So glad they got caught. There are always kids playing in the street!

15 They stole some pants.... February 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Waist: 36 inch
Length: 12 inch

16 furian February 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Now that’s rolling back prices! Or is it rolling over?

Thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all night folks…

17 Audrey February 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Why come over to Martinez to rob a Walmart? Should’ve stayed over in Oaktown to do the same.

18 Fallen Leaf Home Chicken February 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Stupid is As Stupid Dose…….

19 Amy February 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Maybe they needed new clothes for that job interview Monday morning?

20 Thank harbaugh for this. February 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

You can thank 49ers coach Jim harbaugh for this. If he didn’t make those Walmart khakis so popular people wouldn’t resort to this crime just to get their hands on a pair!

Kudos to Ashley for the awesome pic. Looks like the car just rolled and the officers are still in their doorways with guns drawn? Talk about timing!

21 Dijon February 23, 2014 at 12:47 AM

@Fallen Leaf Home Chicken haha! you spelled”duhs” wrong.

22 @ Jellyfinger February 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM

“Boneheaded”? LOL

23 Well February 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Now they wont be able to return the stuff they stole for cash. Which the goal of many shop lifters, you can ask my wife. Not sure how they do it, but they try and are able to somehow. However, ya, WTG MPD! We have one of the best police forces around.

24 Witness At Walmart February 23, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I am glad these guys got caught! They were crazy, ran out of Wal-Mart screaming and yelling from the garden department, both lifted the cart to dump in the trunk, car was rolling forward, then they left the parking lot going super fast, almost hitting me head on and multiple other cars and people to get out of there. I am glad they crashed, karma always comes back to them.

25 Killjoy February 23, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Well, that’s two more dirtbags that are off the streets. For now anyway.
They’ll be back.

26 @ Dijon February 23, 2014 at 6:56 AM

It’s “does”, not “duhs”. Lol

27 P. H. Neighbor February 23, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Thank you LE!!! Awesome!

28 Jr. February 23, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Wish Costco never left. Walmart was a bad idea.

29 bluebird February 23, 2014 at 7:49 AM

They came to Martinez to rob a Wal Mart because they wanted to be caught. Oakland PD probably wouldn’t or couldn’t respond to a call from Wal Mart, too short staffed. Someone has to stay with the mayor.

30 Sharon February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Loft couldnt have said it any better!!

31 Kristi February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

My car was nearly T-boned by these guys. I was traveling on Alhambra Ave and they blew the red light coming off Highway 4 East Bound. Their car was smoking heavily (from having to hit the brakes so hard) and I thought maybe their brakes had gone out. They then got out of the car and ran to the trunk, but before they could open it, they ran and jumped back into their car – that’s when I knew something was really fishy! I looked up and saw 3 CHP speeding down the same off ramp. The guys got back in their car and got back on Highway 4 this time going West Bound. I am shocked to find out it was over a Walmart theft. They nearly killed me, a couple other drivers on Alhambra Ave and who knows how many others on the freeway. So crazy!

32 Sharon February 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Lofty couldnt have said it any better!!

33 Save the gas $ February 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Why spend the gas to rob stores in Contra Costa County? Oakland PD so over-burdened, they probably cannot respond to shoplifting calls anyway. We have enough of our thugs/meth heads of our own to deal with…feel free to commit crimes in your town.

34 Connie Dobbs February 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM

#22 Don’t be such a grandma natsi.

35 @10 February 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Go to the flea market sometime you can see rows of people selling new items it always makes me wonder where the picked up so much new food and clothing.

36 Obamacare February 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM

They were stealing because free clothing was not included in Obamacare. Everyone has a right to clothing! The government should provide for those who can’t provide the clothing for themselves. The government should seize the unused clothing of people and redistribute.

37 BUCK426 February 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Good job, MPD!!

“Oakland residents….”

There are some nice folks over in that city that will just have to be sacrificed….It’s the source of way too much trouble, I push for nukin’ the place.

ps – shout out, “SSSAANNNTTTTOOOO!!!!

38 Anon February 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Lesson: If you are named after a mustard, don’t rob, you’ll fail.

39 Elmer Phudd February 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Being a is a non violent crime. When your caught, your caught.
To jeopardize themselves, police officers and the public, demonstrates vulgar disregard for others. No excuse, spend time in jail.

40 Silva February 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Well I’ve bought a few snappy duds at that Walmart myself! I really think the high speed chases are putting more than a few innocent bystanders at risk though. They are probably a highlight of an officer’s day, and I can understand that, but several commenters here were perhaps closer to catastrophe than they’re aware. There are other ways to take down suspects of petty theft.

41 Truth Teller February 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

FUNNY CLOWN: Amen to that!!!

42 Good Job ! February 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM

2 more scumbags off the streets.

43 nytemuvr February 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM

@Dijon #21& Fallen Leaf Home Chicken
I’m not saying nothing…..

44 Just Sayin February 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I am very disappointed in the claycord community. It took until the 37th post before someone threw Obamacare under the bus for this one. Surely impeachment can’t be far behind for this incident…….

45 They were probably on their way February 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM

to Goodwill and The Dollar Store for more Shoplifitng. Now we taxpayers get to house, clothe, and feed these Peuking Maggots for next few months or years.

46 Noj February 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Yes, thank you for that great picture Ashley. It’s what makes Claycord better than the rest.

47 DRUGS..... NEED I SAY MORE! February 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

It is so sad that people like this sit in jail and think of better ways to steal & hurt people….

We need to get a better jail system like chain gangs ETC.

Buy the way statistically things are getting better “NOT” worse!

But I do think we need more places to lock up these looser lets make them work to pay for staying in jail and to pay back the people they have stolen from!!

If you disagree lets have them come stay at your place!

48 Jail is like a university.. This is where you learn to become a better criminal-losser! February 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM

And it is all funded by you and me thanks to our taxes!

49 Anon February 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Don’t worry, Obama (Hussen) will get them off.

50 ConcordMommy February 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM

one good thing for sure is that they got them in custody!!! but over some cheap clothing from walmart cmon! i hate that store, customer service is terrible!!!!!

51 Rick February 23, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Six feet under or six feet behind bars…..a way of life.

52 Sabrina February 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM

It just goes to show how stupid they are. If they had any brains, they’d try to pull this off in Oakland.

Is shoplifting even a crime in Oakland?

53 Just a KId February 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

This is dumb. Sometimes people don’t have good parents. And then they have a neighborhood that has lots of crime. And then they get in big trouble. So you have to go to church.

54 Elwood February 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM

@ silva #41

“There are other ways to take down suspects of petty theft.”

Right. I suggest the M16 carried by PD nowadays.

55 Wow February 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Great job MPD! So now these two idiots have a totaled car, I would think some type of bodily injury, and a criminal record (or adding to their existing one). A couple of dummies.

56 I am wondering why people need to corect other peples spelling on here? February 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I guess they need to feel superior in their own minds….

And you wonder why people do not like you…..

57 anon February 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM

according to kristi this sounds just like a laurel and hardy skit.

58 anon February 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM
59 barginorus February 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

But day not badds the y really tryin needs fiddy cent to turn da hh water back on cause day stinking. Dah not dumbs dah tryin do dah deal of dah day trying to be good daddy’s to all day baby mommas

60 Kevin February 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Shoplifting at Wal-Mart is one thing. Failing to yield to the police will really tick them off. You will not win.

Shoplifting is a petty crime, but Wal-Mart takes it to the limit. I read the Martinez police log on line, and shoplifters are taken to jail.

I’ve never shoplifted, but I doubt others stores are that strict. Wal-Mart has ZERO TOLERANCE for theft. Probably because of their low prices and the crowd they attract. Some of the people anyway.

Unless you want to go to jail over $20.00, I wouldn’t shoplift at Wal-Mart. Or anywhere if you’re wise.

61 for fawks sake February 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Dumbasses. Spelling. Faceplant!

62 Dijon February 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM

@# 58 Whuts a “peple”?

@# 27 Look up (it’s over yer head)

63 frenchdawg February 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM