UPDATE w/PHOTOS: Buses Serving BART Passengers Stranded by Derailment

February 21, 2014 20:47 pm · 10 comments

Nearly two dozen buses are now serving BART passengers traveling to stations east of Pleasant Hill on the Pittsburg/Bay Point line after a train derailment in Concord this evening, according to BART officials.

The bus bridge will allow passengers to travel to and from the Concord, North Concord/Martinez and Pittsburg/Bay Point stations while the derailed train at the Concord station is removed from the tracks, BART officials said.

However, lengthy delays continue on the line and BART officials say it could be a long wait before normal service is restored.

The out-of-service train, which was traveling empty to the Concord Yard, was just leaving the Concord station around 6:30 p.m. when some train wheels went off the track, BART officials said.

While the cause remains unknown, the derailment occurred as the train traveled over a switching mechanism known as an interlocking, BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost said.

The train is now blocking the rails in both directions. Removing the train from the tracks will be a difficult process and delays could continue through the rest of the evening and possibly even into tomorrow morning, Trost said.

“I’m told its going to be a very lengthy process and people should seek alternate transportation,” Trost said.

The train operator was not injured and no passengers were on board.

The Concord station was also the scene of a derailment on March, 13, 2011 involving a 10-car train carrying 65 passengers to San Francisco International Airport. Three people reported minor back injuries after that incident.

1 Lorelei February 21, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Give ‘em more money!!!

2 Antler February 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Thank you for the excellent photos!

Maybe a year ago, I wrote my concern about the multiple streaks of rust visible down (and in?) the concrete supporting the tracks. Now I wonder whether the rusting has been more than just an eyesore all this time.

3 funny man February 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

doesnt teh the green valley/concord fault run right under the track on clayton rd? dont they do maintenance on these freakin lines??? why do we pay out the yang yang for fares!!

4 Atticus Thraxx February 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Holy crap!

5 valiii February 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Just saw this on tv. The BART spokeswoman said to expect delays till Sat. evening, due to the repairs needed to the track and the 3rd rail.

6 WC Resident February 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I did not realize this has happened before too!!

7 Lost and Happy February 21, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I blame the contract negotians!!!

8 Emily February 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I was on the derailed train back in 2011. There was a very loud crashing sound and the whole car bounced up and down, I remember seeing my backpack flip up around my face. My car was the second to last car and crashed into the one in front of us. For a moment I thought we were going to fall into the street below. I had long thought that the switching mechanism was why we derailed. It was during a time when construction caused the trains to switch tracks.

9 Granny Snagkitten February 21, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Some young hooligans probably put a penny on the track.

10 a.l. February 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I was really enjoying my Saturday morning…windows open. Beautiful day outside…UNTIL THE HELICOPTERS! Do these dudes really need to keep getting live shots of the Bart station. Very loud, very disruptive, very annoying. Why must they? Nothing is really happening. Just take a darn picture and LEAVE!